Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #391
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susann
Stats: 252/236/130-5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/14/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMommy View Post
UMMMMM is it just me or did anyone else read the ingredients and see that these meals are NOT atkins friendly? Modified food STARCH, potato STARCH, CARROTS!!!! yes they taste good, because they have things in them we are NOT allowed to eat when on Low Carb. In a pinch they are better than the alternatives but i wouldn't eat too many.

Also, I think they say for All Phases but didn't look like they were for Induction to me-not sure about other phases.
Susann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Look... most people are getting specks of cornstarch and sugar from alot of "homemade" foods.... Add any bottled ceasar or ranch dressing to your homemade salad? You just ate some non-perfect ingredients. Add a "seasoned spice blend", it may have a tad of sugar or MSG. Heck, TABLE SALT often contains DEXTROSE to prevent it from caking. If you want to be completely PURE, basically you are going to have to eat nothing buy grass fed organic pasture raised meat, with organic veggies and never add ANYTHING to them. Most of us cant reasonably live that way.

Dr Atkins actually was NOT a huge advocate of never having a molecule of dextrose in something, or of purely all organic eating. You dont find that philosophy at all in his books. He specifically allows boullion, diet sodas, crystal light, coffee, artifical sweetners, and all sorts of "imperfect" things as long as they dont contain enough carbs to provoke an insulin response.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jambabob
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 1st 2004
I just found these at a store called Wal-Mart Family Market. It a new Wal-Mart that only has grocery stuff. They are springing up every where in Orange County.

I just ate the Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli for lunch. It tastes like any other frozen meal and it is just as small. Argh...But they are really convenient.
Jambabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #394
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
Agreed. Low carbers seem to freak out when they hear that IHOP puts 1 spoonful of pancake batter in a HUGE vat of eggs for their omelets, but these non-LC, non-healthy ingredients are OK just because they fall under the "Atkins" name? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Firstly, someone who may be allergic to wheat may also "freak out" to learn that pancake batter is added to what they thought was simply eggs.

Secondly, what makes something low carb is that a normal portion eaten is , what? quantitatively low in carbs. You could eat a lot of "low carb" food enough so that your total carbs eaten is high. And you could eat a small enough amount of a food so that your total carbs eaten is still low. So 1/32 teaspoon of some ingredient that is labelled a starch does not cause the entire meal to be "non L-C"

But, No, these are not okay just because they " fall under the "Atkins" name". They are okay because I as an individual, and many others, and the Atkins Nutritional people, and and the USDA nutritional database decided that the quantities of these ingredients are satisfactorally small enough that it won't make a statistical difference in the body's response to them as carbohydrates. And why does every ingredient have to be "healthy"? Salt is not "healthy" but it is an ingredient. Not every ingredient is put in a recipe because it's "healthy" some are used because they make the food taste good or cook better or keep better. Who decided that burning the flesh lining your gut was healthy, yet we use all sorts of Hot peppers in our food because it tastes good. ( and consequently sometimes it keeps other creatures from eating our food cause they are smart enough to avoid pain....)People who want to "freak out" over the carbs in onion powder are on a different level from someone who wants to eat a commercially produced frozen meal.

Don't insult folks by insinuating that we will swallow anything just because it says Atkins. There are many Atkins products that I choose NOT to use because they are not what I want them to be. I also don't like okra. More power to the okra-eaters. No need to go to the Okra board, telling them how awful and slimy and yucky and gross it is and how it is better used as decoration than food..... That only serves to annoy the person who wants to enjoy their okra in peace. ( sorry okra eaters )
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Hey Metqa! Okra is delicous!.............when it's battered and fried

Just wanted to say as usual.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you want to really go freak out about stuff... go search for the allowable levels of poisons and deleterious substances the FDA allows in things. And do you realize that you probably consume rat droppings at some microscopic level every time you eat? Or perhaps lets discuss the allowable levels of harmul bacteria in things like milk - including organic, pasture raised, grass fed milk.

At some point, you get on with life and realize that your immune system and body are designed to deal with tiny levels of harmful things.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Hey Metqa! Okra is delicous!.............when it's battered and fried

Just wanted to say as usual.
As my BF says about the squash and eggplant I try to get him to eat,
"Anything is good when it's battered and fried!" , even okra!!!

Oh Strawberry, Don't remind ME! D'ya know how many times I had a sealed bag of some grain become completely infested with bugs. Cause the bug eggs were already in there and the only reason I knew about it was that I waited too long to eat it and they all hatched!!

I've peeled a vegetable that didn't need peeling in order to eat, and subsequently had my worm bin infested with whatever bug egg was on the surface of that peel that I tossed in my bin.

People eat pounds of bugs and heavy metals and etc. each year. Dogs lick their own butts. cats drink rainwater in muddy puddles, birds eat the dirt along with the worms. Cave mens teeth had grooves from all the dirt and rocks they chewed while chewing up root vegetables and they probably got a lot more real fiber than we do.

I'm not worried about the tiny amount of resistant starch used in my frozen meal.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jambabob
Start Date: January 1st 2004
By the way, here are the 4 that I found in my area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130129_152710.jpg (60.3 KB, 45 views)
Jambabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #399

I got an ad from Atkins, about their three italian dishes. It's so corny. I'd post it but it's an ad so I won't. But they got pictures of italy and make it all old timey looking! LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #400
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 316.0/316.0/130
Start Date: 6/23/14
So I had emailed them about the crummy beef in my one meal. They were apologetic and sent me 3 free coupons. Awesome.

The next week I got another letter of apology and 3 more coupons.

Last week I got ANOTHER letter and 3 more coupons. I called them to let them know they keep sending them and while I of course think it's great to get free stuff, I didn't feel it would be right to keep taking them yanno? They said keep them, it's no big deal and they will look into why I keep getting repeated letters/coupons.

Today I got ANOTHER letter and 3 more coupons.

*~*A year from now you will wish that you started today.*~*

*~* A goal is a dream with a deadline. *~*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #401
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DragnflysWife
Stats: Start289/Goal135
Start Date: 10/3/2014-3rd times the charm
Wow....thats a lot of coupons. I am envious.
DragnflysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #402
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: texasbride24
Stats: 270/264/240
Start Date: January 2013
I love these things but I try to only eat them a few times a week, and stick to salad most other days. they are delicious!
texasbride24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I bought another Beef Merlot, because I thought at least the taste was good.

Another very disappointing amount of beef.

Furthermore, my entire meal, INCLUDING the plastic plate, weighs only 6.4 oz according to my kitchen scale. This is a package that is supposed to be 9 oz net weight! (not even including the plastic plate!)

I'm not sure I want to buy any more of these... I can cook a pack of broccoli in some beef broth for much less money.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NextLevel
Stats: 5'1", 107 lbs
WOE: Less carbs, more good fats, more whole foods
Start Date: 2009
The beef merlot was good. The cooked product looks nothing like the picture on the box tho lol (but hey, do they ever?) Maybe I should write them so I can get some coupons too ; )
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 215/184(166)/150 5'8"
Start Date: January 2003
They just showed up in my area a couple of weeks ago. DH tried the beef merlot and crustless pot pie, and they were OK, but def on the small side--he ate both and could've used a side salad to make it one full meal (for a man).

Here are out-of-box and prepared pix:

Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryssi View Post
So I had emailed them about the crummy beef in my one meal. They were apologetic and sent me 3 free coupons. Awesome.

The next week I got another letter of apology and 3 more coupons.

Last week I got ANOTHER letter and 3 more coupons. I called them to let them know they keep sending them and while I of course think it's great to get free stuff, I didn't feel it would be right to keep taking them yanno? They said keep them, it's no big deal and they will look into why I keep getting repeated letters/coupons.

Today I got ANOTHER letter and 3 more coupons.

That just made me seriously LOL
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Tried the meatloaf. It reminded me of a frozen Salisbury steak type of meal. Don't think that I will purchase this again
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I got a coupon in the mail for a free entree; unfortunately, the closest store that has them is in another state! But from the sound of things, I may not be missing anything.
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
I like that these are available for me to grab occasionally for lunch. I like the Chicken Alfredo, crustless pot pie and the turkey dinner. Hope they remain on the shelves.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
So far I've liked them all. The meatloaf was not my favorite & I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I didn't hate it either. Hubby and I are stocking up on them once a week. They are being great for bfast and lunch with additional veggies. Didn't get on the scale this a.m., but yesterday showed a 7.6 lb loss since Sunday. I still plan to stick with them for awhile.
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #411
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DragnflysWife
Stats: Start289/Goal135
Start Date: 10/3/2014-3rd times the charm
I like the ones that I have purchased (my Wally's only carries the Broccoli Chicken,Pot Pie and Beef Merlot). But I have noticed inconsistency in the flavoring and meat size in the meals. Nothing that would keep me from getting them though. I just ordered 20 coupons for $1 off for more meals. If anyone does not want their coupons send them my way. Cuz I sure will use them. Just Email me and I we will work something out.
DragnflysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I've been taking them for lunch several days each week. They are actually saving me money since I usually eat out every day and it would cost between $7-$10. Even if I add some almonds or a fat bomb (like for most I need to) that is still quite a savings for me.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #413

I just had the chicken pot pie. Maybe something is wrong with my tongue cause it tasted funny to me. The texture of the vegetables was great, the meat was tender, the sauce was creamy and saucy, but it just overall tasted kinda sideways.

I didn't photo it, since everyone knows what it looks like already.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #414
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FrozenSnow85
Stats: 210/186/135 (got to 161 before I got pregnant)
WOE: Tweaked low carb
Start Date: Restart January 1 after having a baby
I have tried the beef merlot and the chicken and broccoli alfredo. I did like them and they are definitely a good way to not have to think out something to eat. My only issue is that they cost $3.48 a package where I live. I think that costs way too much for the amount of food you get.
FrozenSnow85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #415

you could get a couple of Double Stack burgers instead with cheese and lettuce, tomato and pickles.... Wait, i think I'm hungry.

It's not just the amount of food but the convenience of having it that is part of the cost. Going to the fast food costs time, cooking at home costs time and effort, the portions are small, but they are low carb which is hard to find, so you save a bit of time searching for them also. They have their place in overpriced convenience food budget. But that's why I'm learning to make my own, when I have more time than money to spend, and when I have more money than time, I'll buy theirs, Or go get that double stack, mmmm. I need to go eat!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Plu16
For anyone in the southeast, Publix carries them!
Plu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #417

Thanks Plu16. I'll check My Publix, it's closer than the Wally.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/154.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Found them at Food Lion grocery today!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice to know they are starting to make their way into all the other regular grocery stores!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
Found them at Food Lion grocery today!
I didn't know Food Lion was carrying the Atkins frozen dinners, I will check with my nearest Food Lion to see if they have them there, that would be GREAT if they did so I don't have to keep going to Walmart to get them.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote