Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Well, so far I don't see any ingredients that I wouldn't normally see in any processed food I'd purchase separately except the eggs have cornstarch and soybean oil. the sausage are processed with sausage ingredients, the meat has modified food starch, pretty much like all the other cooked meat products, there is maltodextrin but it is resistant maltodextrin so that's at least fiber, I'm just saying to avoid all processed food, you'd not be able to eat anything that wasn't in it's purest butchered form. If i buy a sausage it's already been processed. Dr. A warned against processed meats cause they were usually processed with sugar and starch additives or other ingredients that could cause cravings. Lunch meats cured with sugar and way to salty. He said to avoid certain seafood not because of purity but because of the carbs they contained. I don't think the Dr. was as much a purist as people make him out to be. I think he wanted to be realistic about what people eat and wanted people to be aware of foods with hidden carbs that could derail their progress. Now we have no sugar added bacon, and Nitritefree bacon and food labels are more accurate and show all the ingredients. I could make my own homemade sausage out of "real meat" but who does that anymore? the best most people can do these days is check the label for added sugars. Maybe the Doctor wouldn't approve of these if they were the only other option to homecooked meals, but they are not the only other option and i think he'd rather people stay on plan with whatever options they have than to either suffer or ditch it cause it's "too hard" to comply. I don't think the doctor would fault someone for choosing these frozen meals over the others or even over being hungry until they got home. The Doctor was pretty open minded and his plan was very liberal.

And besides, nobody really likes the meatloaf anyway!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
Metqa - ya gotta point there.
I think I'll stay away from the meatloaf though for a while - the rest that our WM carries I might give a go for dinners (breakfast is way too easy for me to make unless on the run.
But I eat eggs anywho - sure wish they'd do something different than eggs!

I must say that this might just get Atkins back into the mainstream where more restaurants had LC meals on their menus.
I just wish there was a before an after pic of Sharon Osborne to get folks more interested! But the fact she lost the weight in a short amount of time might help

Jennifer 218.6/203.6/160
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I found them at my local Walmart. They had everry kind and I bought one of each I ha the pot pie for lunch it was good nice to have cauliflauer in a tv dinner. I didnt buy meatloaf as it is my least favorite.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
I found them at my local Walmart. They had everry kind and I bought one of each I ha the pot pie for lunch it was good nice to have cauliflauer in a tv dinner. I didnt buy meatloaf as it is my least favorite.
See! See? I told ya! Nobody likes the meatloaf! It should just stop being made as food!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
Metqa - ya gotta point there.
I think I'll stay away from the meatloaf though for a while - the rest that our WM carries I might give a go for dinners (breakfast is way too easy for me to make unless on the run.
But I eat eggs anywho - sure wish they'd do something different than eggs!

I must say that this might just get Atkins back into the mainstream where more restaurants had LC meals on their menus.
I just wish there was a before an after pic of Sharon Osborne to get folks more interested! But the fact she lost the weight in a short amount of time might help
I know, Like I don't even really like eggs for breakfast. I ate both of the egg dishes as dinner meals instead!

but most other breakfast meals are grain or sweets based so I guess there is not much variety for LC breakfast. My favorite breakfast one day was leftover ribeye steak with one egg sunny side up with a side of sauteed zukes, squash and mushrooms...

Just curious, to everyone,... What do you usually eat for snacks, if you do?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #275
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 342.8/337.2/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/24/14
Having the pot pie one for lunch.

Had to add some garlic salt and pepper but other than that it's really good!
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
My Walmart finally has them.

They had 6 varieties, and I bought each one. For research purposes.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
My 'neighborhood market" (basically a grocery store only) Walmart in Dallas had 4 varieties tonight - the meatloaf, beef merlot, chicken alfredo, and a breakfast scramble with sausage and peppers.

I bought the beef merlot to try. I also noticed that lean cuisine makes a "steak tips portobello" that is almost the same thing - beef in a sauce with broccoli. The stats of the lean cuisine one are 160 calories, 12g carbs - 3 fiber - 9 net carbs, 16g protein, 5g fat. Stats for Atkins one = 310 calories, 9g carbs - 3g fiber = 6g net carbs, 15g protein, 21g fat.

The Atkins one had a great flavored sauce and meat. The meat is very skimpy, there was probably 2 oz if not less. The meat has a good flavor though. the sauce is a nice mild merlot (not overly wine-flavored) beefy flavor. The broccoli cooks up really mushy, which I personally like, but if you are hoping for a crisp broccoli, this is not your meal. I tend to have a smaller appetite, but I dont think this would have filled me up (I didnt eat the whole thing since I was comparing). Atkins does win the taste test for me, personally, because of the sauce being much better.

The lean cuisine beef tips portobello:
Much more meat! A good ~4 oz in a separate compartment with sauce. The meat itself has a good flavor, comparable to the Atkins although I think the fattier Atkins meat with the great sauce tastes slightly better. The lean cuisine sauce isnt great.. side by side with Atkins sauce, I swear I could taste the cornstarch! No merlot flavor like the Atkins... I guess its a mushroom sauce because there are a few skimpy muchroom pieces in there...But the sauce is OK once you start eating it. I guess thats what happens when you put fat in a sauce (atkins) vs making it low cal with cornstarch (lean cuisine). The broccoli was a little more crisp, still soft though, but not mushy. I think this meal would actually fill me up more despite being 160 cals (vs 310 cals for Atkins).

So there's my review! I probably wont buy these often, because of the price.
The main thing I learned is that i really like microwave steamed broccoli! After the taste teste, I doctored up the lean cuisine broccoli with a sprinkle of parm cheese and went to town on the broccoli! LOL

Last edited by Strawberry; 01-06-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #278

Great Review, Strawberry! I like the lean cuisine Beef tips a lot, and I haven't tried the Atkins version yet.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serenity_Rose
Stats: 290/290/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2013
Our Walmart has them in now. They seem a little pricey, $3.50, but might be nice to have in a pinch! Now that I'm back in school and dashing from class to rehearsal, might pick up a couple to stash.
Serenity_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
[...]

The Atkins one had a great flavored sauce and meat. The meat is very skimpy, there was probably 2 oz if not less. The meat has a good flavor though. the sauce is a nice mild merlot (not overly wine-flavored) beefy flavor. The broccoli cooks up really mushy, which I personally like, but if you are hoping for a crisp broccoli, this is not your meal. I tend to have a smaller appetite, but I dont think this would have filled me up (I didnt eat the whole thing since I was comparing). Atkins does win the taste test for me, personally, because of the sauce being much better.
[...]
I just had the Beef Merlot! Wow! Your review is very accurate. The sauce is flavorful, and the broccoli was kinda mushy but expecting it to be I wasn't disappointed. Mine had a lot of meat, but it was hard to count cause some of it had broken into shreds in the sauce. I counted 3 large bite sized pieces and what may have been two pieces in shreds. I think based on an earlier comment that sometimes the machines don't measure accurately.

It was nice and filling, well, I had it for breakfast....and so rich and savory and satisfying even for a small meal. that's what I like, something so satisfying that it doesn't matter if it is a small serving. This had 21g of fat for only 310 calories, and I think it's a win.

Sorry no picture, I misplaced my camera, again!

ETA: Oh, I meant to comment on the texture of the meat. It was super tender falling apart yummy. I'm not sure what the do to "corn" beef, but this was super tender. It's more tender than I remember the Beef Tips meat being.

Last edited by metqa; 01-07-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jedswife
Stats: 220/160/140
WOE: Body By Atkins
i bought some of these yesterday - have only tried 1 the tex mex breakfast bowl - it was way better than all of the regular carby frozen breakfasts - really good was very happy with it
jedswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Just another thumbs up for the Lean Cuisine beef tips portobello! I extended it with an extra cup of broccoli after cooking, threw it all in a nice big bowl and put 2 slices of american cheese on top and threw it back in the microwave for 40 seconds....tasty!!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Finally found them at W*** Mart!!
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Omphaloskeptical
Stats: 5'7", 236/201/136, 18-20%bf
WOE: High fat, <100 carbs/day, Atkins-paleo-ish
The Roast Turkey Tenders with Herb Pan Gravy meal is great. Delicious! Probably the best frozen meal I've had...I'm pleasantly surprised.
Omphaloskeptical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
Just wanted to let everyone know in the Knoxville TN.Area.I just got a call from the PUBLIX manager off 140 and he said they would have ALL the ATKINS frozen meals starting the second week in Febuary.He said right now only Walmart has them by Atkins choice.They are going to release them to all grocery stores the second week in Febuary. HTH.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lraec1
if you follow atkins on face book they keep posting about them with a $2.00 coupon
lraec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Found them at Meijer. Thought they were on sale because the tag was misplaced. At checkout they were $4.95 or some nonsense. I'll look at Walmart with a coupon.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
I just got these today. I have just eaten the chicken alfredo w broccoli. It was good. I will definite buy it again.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Just another thumbs up for the Lean Cuisine beef tips portobello! I extended it with an extra cup of broccoli after cooking, threw it all in a nice big bowl and put 2 slices of american cheese on top and threw it back in the microwave for 40 seconds....tasty!!!
That is one I think I'll keep buying cause it tastes good, but is so darn light , extra broccoli is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCWizard View Post
Found them at Meijer. Thought they were on sale because the tag was misplaced. At checkout they were $4.95 or some nonsense. I'll look at Walmart with a coupon.
Yikes. If you go to Walmart with the coupon and it won't scan, make sure to tell them to manually input the number. They cheated me out of $4 last time I went with a printed coupon, and you can't reprint them cause of the software.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tgrovesct
Stats: 165/165/130
WOE: Atkins - modified
Start Date: 1/1/13
I hope my Walmart gets on board! Need all the help I can get!
tgrovesct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

I tried the beef merlot today and thought the sauce was really good. To me, these taste much better than Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones.

I'm happy to have them as backup for days when I just don't feel like cooking.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabethin57 View Post
I had the turkey and green beans and it was very tasty. I got a few other entrees, haven't tried, at my neighborhood Walmart in Plano.
Cool, if my Mckinney Walmarts dont have it then I know I can go to Plano.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Just tried the Farmhouse breakfast bowl one, it was pretty good but since that type of meal is easy for me to make in the AM I'll just make it myself and save the $3.50.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #294

Of course! And eggs are on sale this week, so for $3 you could get 1 dozen eggs and two dollar worth of extras and make many Farmhouse Bowls.

My two Breakfast bowls were only $3, must be regional price differences. The dinner meals are $3.50 at my local WM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #295
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamajennleigh
Stats: 175/147/125
Start Date: January 2011
LOVED THE BEEF MERLOT!!!

I just had the Beef Merlot and it was amazing. Beef was tender, in a delicious sauce, and the broccoli was just right. These are perfect for long work days so I will definitely be trying the other varieties!
mamajennleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
I have tried several of the meals, some I liked better than others but the meals themselves are not filling enough for me. I have a freezer full of the meals and plan to add them to my regular meals,basically just to use them up.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

I ate the Farmhouse Sausage Scramble today, and there was ZERO cheese in it. I guess they ran out on the factory line when mine was being made.

I took a picture and am gonna send it to Atkins. Maybe I will get some coupons!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #298
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
I finally got to taste the turkey and green bean dinner and man, I loved it. It was so good. There were A LOT of green beans. I think the pot pie is my favorite but the turkey is a close second.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #299

how many ounces of green beans do you think they include in those? 100g of green beans is a lot of beans but I dont' think any of the frozen meals contain even half of that.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
I bought the Atkins turkey and green bean dinner and it was good, I had it for lunch. The portion was small but tasty. I will like it when I can buy the dinners at any store, not just Walmart. I will take these meals for lunch at work and I will also have them for dinner in the evening. I bought the chicken pot pie also but I will eat that one tonight or tomorrow. I am glad that now I have an option in the frozen food department that allows me to stay on the Atkins plan.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote