Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
Sugar free candy/Dreamfields pasta

I was wondering what people's experiences have been with sugar free candy, such as gummy bears, and with low carb pasta like Dreamfields. I had some of the latter recently and it tasted too good to be true. Is it? I'm wondering the same thing about sugar free gummy bears, etc. Have things like that helped others stay on track with their diet by offering low carb alternatives to favorite foods, or are they gimmicks with 'hidden carbs'?
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
It depends on the substitute ingredient being used. Candy is typically maltitol which is definitely not zero calorie or zero carb--some people report glucose readings equal to a similar amount of straight sugar. The pasta/bread/tortilla things are still mostly wheat so I steer clear of those since wheat does some dubious things apart from the carb load.

I agree that scratching an itch for a high-carb food is an important tool to have in the drawer, but it's probably best to make it from scratch since at the end of the day we really don't know what's in the commercial packages.

My "candy" is coconut butter melted, embellished, and chilled in a miniature tart pan. My "pasta" is either shirataki or julienne zucchini, and other bread products can be made from nut/seed flour or nut/seed butter. A treat is still a treat and I don't expect it to be slimming, but at least I know what went into it.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm with Pete, avoid the processed low carb products like the plague if you can. They're junk food, albeit semi-legal on many plans. Nutritional substitutes are a wiser idea (and shirataki is genuinely yummy ).
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I love Dreamfields, I have not had any BS problems with this pasta...You have to cook it exactly per the directions...It's delicious!! The gummies are another thing...most sf candy is made with malitol and while all those candies really do taste like what the are imitating, say the peanut butter cups or the peppermint patties, most of us have a bad reaction to them. Potty issues to name a few! Just wanted to add about the pasta, it has helped me be able to stay lc and feel like I can have lasagna or angel hair pasta like everybody else and still lose weight.

Last edited by That Girl; 12-03-2012 at 11:45 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nic~at~nite
Stats: 216/190.2/148
WOE: Atkins with fruit
I have used the pasta with no problems in the past. Another great substitute is spaghetti squash.

I eat sugar free candy sometimes. One or two pieces a week. Not a lot, but enough to satisfy me.
nic~at~nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
DreamFields pasta will not give you an initial blood sugar rise. But trust me, as a diabetic, it WILL make your blood sugar rise at 3 or 4 or 5 hours after eating. I would avoid it.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 10,2012
Your mileage may vary.

There are a few people who can eat that stuff and do fine. It doesn't seem to spike their blood sugar or give them cravings or give them the runs. Or set them on the road to ruin, gaining back all their weight and more.

Most other people - not so lucky. You might need to test it to find out. But go slow.

The only frankenfood I eat are Atkins bars and the most I will eat is 1 in a 24 hour period. UNLESS I am in desperate straits - like stuck on a girl scout campout with no control over the food. Then, I spent a weekend eating them. Seemed a better choice than totally falling off the wagon.

The most consistent way to lose weight low carbing is by eating regular, real food with the least amount of commercial processing.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I have used Dreamfields pasta throughout my low carb WOE and have experienced no problems with stall or gains. I don't overdo it, however, and only eat it occasionally.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 316.0/316.0/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 6/23/14
It all comes down to a YMMV thing.

I personally have no problem with Dreamfields. I am not a huge pasta eater to start with so it is easy for me to cook the recommended serving size, eat it, and be done with it when I want the occasional pasta dish. (I just make regular pasta for the rest of the family).

The candy - too much malitol WILL give you tummy issues, I can promise THAT is not a YMMV thing I personally cannot eat just 1-2 pieces. I will eat the whole dang bag and then I am sorry. So I stay away from it.

I know it's not the answer you want but you just have to try each of the items and see how they work with you.

*~*A year from now you will wish that you started today.*~*

*~* A goal is a dream with a deadline. *~*

Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I had Dreamfields for dinner tonight. I am a diabetic (almost 20 years). I did a finger stick before dinner and again several hours after dinner...no change. It's never affected my blood sugar. I also checked a keto stick...it stayed purple. I have a SF candy occasionally but am careful with them. I have trouble stopping with just one.
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I have never tried the dreamfields pasta but I have had the sugar-free candy with out any problems weight gain or stalling problems, like the others have said you have to use portion control with them or you will end up chained to the toliet LOL
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
Start Date: 19th May 2015
I don't bother with pasta or bread substitutes because I don't really miss them and I am quite happy with cauli mash or cauli rice. But I do like to have some sweet treats to hand - I have a range of Atkins day break/advantage/endulge bars which I like and will have maybe twice a week. In addition I make fat bombs using various nut butters, cocoa, sweeteners etc and I have various da vinci syrups for flavouring coffee but I have also found that whipping a little double cream and adding a few drops makes for a great little dessert. So I do find ways of using whole foods to make treats but I also believe that low carb products have their place and they don't cause any craving/stalling issues for me personally.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcintosh21
Stats: 225/187/150
WOE: Just Plain Low carb.. under 20 a day
Start Date: July 09
My Fiance is type 1 diabetic and dreamfields works fine... BUT.. you have to cook it for the time it says.. if you over cook it.. his BS will rise.. we have tested it almost every time we cook it.. and it never fails if i let it over cook on accident.. up his BS goes.. it is a great way to stay low carb but still get some of your favorite foods and not feel guilty about it. I am curios to how the lasagna noodles they have works.. because it takes way more then 8mins to cook that dish! My stores do not carry it so never actually looked at box.. but all the other types is 7-9 mins varrying..
kmcintosh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
I am also a diabetic and Dreamfields is kind to my blood sugar. I cook it 2 minutes less than the time stated on the box and it always comes out perfect. I have heard that if you reheat it, that takes away the low carb properties.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
DreamFields pasta will not give you an initial blood sugar rise. But trust me, as a diabetic, it WILL make your blood sugar rise at 3 or 4 or 5 hours after eating. I would avoid it.
This! I agree. Dreamfields is not kind to diabetics at all!

gummy bears? YUCK. what are those? LOL wouldn't touch one. ate one once and would never put that junk in my body again
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
never had problems with Dreamfields

i make it exactly according to box directions, and stayed to portion limits. However, i have little or no control over the sugar free candies, and other FRANKENYUMMIES, so i must avoid them, for a while/a long while. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i make it exactly according to box directions, and stayed to portion limits. However, i have little or no control over the sugar free candies, and other FRANKENYUMMIES, so i must avoid them, for a while/a long while. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
FRANKENYUMMIES! LOVE THAT WORD!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I have one small piece of SF candy several times a week. I can tolerate the Russel Stover ones, but things like Twizzlers make me gain and make my bs go up. Dreamfields I have only very very very occasionally. I think the key is probably moderation. We used to have pasta at least once a week before low carb. I shudder to think of all the years I fed my family that non-nutritious stuff.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
I eat dreamfields all the time. At least once a week. I test my blood sugar and I don't have a problem with it spiking or with stalls or weight gain.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I am NOT diabetic, but I have eaten Dreamfields for years. It tastes wonderful and I have never had any problems with stalls or weight gains. I have (and still do) eat it while on Induction. I can eat Shirataki's if I am DESPERATE, but I much prefer Dreamfields.

The main thing about this diet is figuring out what will work for YOU. Some people love coconut oil coffee. I hate coffee, so that won't work for me. Some love their Da Vinci syrups, I have tried them and I don't like the taste at all. You can follow a book, but there will still be a lot of trial and error and finding what works for you. So just be prepared to try a lot of things and realize that some of them will end up in the trash. Just goes with the territory.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i lov dreamfields with

cottage cheese, farmers cheese, ricotta drizzled with melted butter. Gonna make some this weekend. I PROMISE to be mindful of portions. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
JWR
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JWR
Stats: 210/186/175
Start Date: March 2009
Thanks for all the information and experience with the Dreamfields pasta. I bought some and thought that it was absolutely amazing and probably too good to be true.
Having the diabetic information from FSBS after eating this pasta helps me to proceed with this pasta in moderation, sticking to the instruction on the box and to make small amounts with no leftovers to reheat.
Thanks again.
JWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Purchased my first box of dreamfields today. I am not diabetic and am really looking forward to spaghetti.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
you have to cook it for the time it says..
Also, the Dreamfields company warns that if you reheat leftovers it can break down the pasta to a form that your body can absorb the carbs and spike blood sugar. They also warn against leaving the pasta to soak in an acidic sauce, because that can also break down the pasta enough to where your body can absorb the carbs and spike blood sugar.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I don't eat the dreamfields - I tried it once and I didn't like the texture. I prefer zucchini noodles made with my Spirooli. I do eat the sugar free Russell Stover candy. I was forewarned, before I ever had a single piece, that it could cause EXTREME gastric distress if you ate too much. I've never experienced it for myself because I never eat more than one or two pieces at a time. I just looked back at my food tracker, and I've had 6 pieces in the last 4 weeks. I have no problem stopping at one piece - it doesn't cause cravings or stalls for me. If any of those variables were different - I wouldn't allow it in the house.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I have a question about dreamfields pasta: I was looking at the ingredients and the nutritional information, and I saw *nothing* different from several other brands, even the carbohydrate count per *weight* was the same, and it came to something like 28g per serving less dietary fiber. Am I missing something? I ate the stuff once and it gave me nightmarish stomach cramps.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote