Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
How do you keep that "full" feeling?

I have been thinking about vastly reducing my dairy intake.
Problem is that cheese and sour cream have great staying power when it comes to not feeling hungry.
I wonder what do you do to keep that satieted feeling?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Eat? Seriously, I eat a high volume of veggies and significant quantities of fat and fatty protein. That sticks with me well, better than dairy, I'd say.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AKDogg
Pork Rinds and dip them in Salsa. Good snack with little carbs in the salsa!
One of my go to snacks! Little smokies as well!
AKDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Dairy never helps me feel full- on the contrary I could eat hundreds of extra calories from cheese or sour cream and they wouldn't make me full for longer. So I could put extra cheese in my salad or not, and I would still be hungry in the same amount of time.

I get full from meat and vegetables.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
There are other ways to get satiating fat than eating high fat dairy products--including avocadoes, macademia nuts, full-fat salad dressing made with olive/avocado/nut oils, good olive oil drizzled on veggies, tuna and anchovies packed in olive oil, mayonnaise mixed with eggs/tuna/chicken/veggies, nut butters, coconut butter. Some people can handle butter and/or HWC who can't handle other forms of dairy, too.

I rely on high-fat dairy to eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, and I hope, hope, hope that I don't have to give up dairy at some point. But the options above are what I've thought of turning to, in case I have to give up full-fat dairy.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

You know, I realized I wasn't very specific and may have been less helpful than intended. My actual method is loading my food into a closer window - this morning my breakfast was at 10:00, and my last meal will likely be around 5:00 pm.

I begin the morning with Brazil nuts, eggs fried in butter, and tea with cream (could be left out, certainly).

I eat lunch about three hours later and have a salad with homemade dressing. Big and satiating, as the dressing is oil based. Additional food might be half an avocado or a tin of sardines and some mustard.

My afternoon snack/beginning of dinner is a pumpkin cheesecake protein shake (almond milk, cream cheese, protein powder, pumpkin, sweetener, ice, spices - again, could be made dairy free without much issue) which hits my sweet tooth and really fills me up.

Dinner would fill out my calorie and carb needs. A fried burger with cheese and broccoli, some salmon, pepperoni with pickles and some green beans, a piece of cheese and nuts, etc etc. Depends on the day.

But my menus are quite light on dairy as I'm sensitive to it. Some heavy cream, cheese, and a little cream cheese. It isn't what keeps me full - I think the frequency of my meals and loading them together so that I feel full all day and then fast all evening and morning works well for me, even with pregnancy blood sugar swings. And every meal has protein, fat and bulk. Fat and bulk, in particular, are helpful for me.

Your tastes may vary from mine, I keep it as simple as possible with food - not a lot of combining recipes, but basic prep and ingredients to everything. I also focus on eating balanced protein and fat sources - hamburger, fatty fish, eggs, etc. Not a lot of lean protein, as I find that less filling. These are just some ideas, I'm in OWL and not induction so I have a bit more flexibility on things like nut products, and I don't know if you do. So your mileage may vary.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
The only time I get busy and forget its lunchtime is if I have bacon for breakfast. Otherwise I'm counting the minutes till lunch and run out at Twelve exactly. So yeah. BACON.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
If you load plenty of fat into your meals, you shouldn't feel hungry or uncomfortable for a very long time. It's not that "full" feeling per se. It's more like "satisfied". If I had to describe it, it's a very quiet feeling of comfort.

Until . . .

My appetite on low carb is WEIRD, in that I don't feel hungry when I think I should, so I don't bother eating then. Later, I don't just feel hungry, I'll have this sudden sensation of feeling like I'm STARVING--this can be 8 to 10 hours after my last meal (before low carb I rarely made it more than 2 hours between eating meals and snacks). The fat really hold me for a good, long time, until it doesn't anymore.

One other weird thing is that if I eat just fat--that makes me hungry. I have to eat fat with at least a little protein and veggies help, too. So it doesn't work for me to swallow a spoonful of CO or a swig of MCT oil, or even a snack of butter or cream cheese like some people do. Even just munching on macademia nuts is not enough. I have to eat a substantial meal or snack containing real food for the fat to work.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Fat bombs have become my life saver. they help when hungry or when craving anything from sweets to salty/crunchy things.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
We also have to remember that our bodies can adjust to virtually anything. A little annoying discomfort when we're making a dietary change is to be expected, and will be over in a short amount of time.

When I first started limiting protein, I felt starved. And then my body got used to it. If you cut down on dairy, you will find a non-carb way to make up those calories (maybe not all of them), and your body/appetite will adjust. Maybe eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with each of your three main meals?
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
We also have to remember that our bodies can adjust to virtually anything. A little annoying discomfort when we're making a dietary change is to be expected, and will be over in a short amount of time.

When I first started limiting protein, I felt starved. And then my body got used to it. If you cut down on dairy, you will find a non-carb way to make up those calories (maybe not all of them), and your body/appetite will adjust. Maybe eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with each of your three main meals?
I haven't gotten used to eating tablespoons of coconut oil, but ending a meal with a tablespoon of coconut butter works well for me in terms of feeling satiated, and tastes delicious. I like Artisana brand.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I begin the morning with Brazil nuts, eggs fried in butter, and tea with cream (could be left out, certainly).

I eat lunch about three hours later and have a salad with homemade dressing. Big and satiating, as the dressing is oil based. Additional food might be half an avocado or a tin of sardines and some mustard.

My afternoon snack/beginning of dinner is a pumpkin cheesecake protein shake (almond milk, cream cheese, protein powder, pumpkin, sweetener, ice, spices - again, could be made dairy free without much issue) which hits my sweet tooth and really fills me up.

Dinner would fill out my calorie and carb needs. A fried burger with cheese and broccoli, some salmon, pepperoni with pickles and some green beans, a piece of cheese and nuts, etc etc. Depends on the day.

But my menus are quite light on dairy as I'm sensitive to it. Some heavy cream, cheese, and a little cream cheese. It isn't what keeps me full - I think the frequency of my meals and loading them together so that I feel full all day and then fast all evening and morning works well for me, even with pregnancy blood sugar swings. And every meal has protein, fat and bulk. Fat and bulk, in particular, are helpful for me.

Your tastes may vary from mine, I keep it as simple as possible with food - not a lot of combining recipes, but basic prep and ingredients to everything. I also focus on eating balanced protein and fat sources - hamburger, fatty fish, eggs, etc. Not a lot of lean protein, as I find that less filling. These are just some ideas, I'm in OWL and not induction so I have a bit more flexibility on things like nut products, and I don't know if you do. So your mileage may vary.

I envy people who can eat that much - If I were to eat that much food I would gain! I guess you burn a lot of those calories working out?!?!
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmmmmmmmm.....some good suggestions here.
I particularly like the avocado suggestion. I think that might work.
I'll start adding avocado where I ordinarily might use some sour cream.
Glad I posted this.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
I envy people who can eat that much - If I were to eat that much food I would gain! I guess you burn a lot of those calories working out?!?!
Um... No? I don't work out to burn calories, I work out for fitness, and though TTap is intense it isn't a long or strenuous workout.

I eat around 1800 calories a day and that fits in it. Even when I'm not growing another person, as I am right now, I can lose on that amount. But I'm only slightly metabolically resistant and young, which helps.

Compared to most folks my age, I undereat, thanks to having lost so much weight and slowed down a bit. But low carb helps a lot, as does whole foods. So I'm satisfied! I had about 1740 calories today and 22 net carbs, with the same breakfast/lunch menu and some fat bombs and green beans for dinner, along with two milk teas instead of the protein shake (the teas are 1 cup brewed tea, 1 cup almond milk, and stevia to taste over ice). And that's fine, the quality of the food and placement of the calories has left me nicely satisfied for the rest of the evening.

My midwives would say I'm undereating, especially heading toward the end months of pregnancy, but if I'm not hungry and eating high quality food I think it's fine

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 11-30-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Salmon works for me really well when I'm limiting dairy products.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
WHY do you want to reduce dairy? just wondering.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Port_louis
WOE: Protein power
Start Date: 6 September 2012
Yeah what trigger said

I usually drink green tea or tomato juice Works for me.

Try eat low fat cottage cheese,gives you the cheese fix without the calories(compared to normal cheese lol).
Port_louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I have a family that is lactose intolerant. I make some great stuff that doesn't have dairy. Crack slaw - minus the cheese. BBQd full fat meat (well grilled), veggies with coconut oil. Eggs in coconut oil are yummy!
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
WHY do you want to reduce dairy? just wondering.
I have recurring tendenitis and it seems that dairy foods can promote inflammation.
I was very surprised and delighted when, after giving up gluten, my knee pain vanished.
I'm wondering if removing dairy might do the same for my elbows
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
As you can see in my signature, I recently had some allergy testing done and found out I have an autoimmune allergy response to half the things I regularly eat. I was skeptical at first, because I wasn't getting hives or stomach upset or any of the usual "allergy" symptoms, but I thought I would give it a shot to give the stuff up and see what would happen.

It has been 5 full days and the change has been amazing. My hunger is down, I've lost 3.5 lbs (and I was actively trying to lose before), I feel like I someone poked a little hole in me and let me delflate a little, but the most amazing thing is my cravings are gone. I eat a normal amount and feel full. I stay full until it is time to be hungry again.

Come evening, it used to take quite a white-knuckle effort to stay out of the sweets. I tried a lot of things- l Glutamine, more protein, legal sweets- and most of it helped, but this feeling is a new experience.

Last night I had errands to run so I ate dinner pretty late. I was hungry, but not that weak-famished hungry. I had chicken and sautéed butternut squash cubes. For dessert I had a tangerine and a square of 85% dark chocolate. That was it and I stayed full til bedtime and never gave food another thought.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

My appetite on low carb is WEIRD, in that I don't feel hungry when I think I should, so I don't bother eating then. Later, I don't just feel hungry, I'll have this sudden sensation of feeling like I'm STARVING--
OMG, I'm like this l/cing too! Strange, huh?
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm finding adding coconut oil to my diet (an appetite duller for me) in gradual amounts and glucomannan powder (for puddings, thickener in soups and as a thickener/emulsifier in gravies/sauces) has helped a lot with feeling "full". Adding flax meal in muffins/cakes/crackers also helps. I feel really stuffed after eating shirataki tofu noodles as well. These things have been life savers for me, at least. And the full feeling stays with me a long time. Of course, eating fiber-filled veggies helps, but not to the degree the above-mentioned items keep me feeling full.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I have recurring tendenitis and it seems that dairy foods can promote inflammation.
I was very surprised and delighted when, after giving up gluten, my knee pain vanished.
I'm wondering if removing dairy might do the same for my elbows
Well that is smart. Try eliminating a food and see if you feel better. Nothing wrong with that. If you totally eliminate, and find no results to help, you can wean some back in and see if all is fine. (I am a dairy hound. I couldn't eliminate unless I had to )

I hope it helps, you never know!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote