LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
Carb Congestion

I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? ) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
no, haven't had that happen. Glutton Fest. oh man. I couldn't do it. I can't stand that feeling anymore of what a glutton fest does to me. I have 'baby glutton fests' now HAHA

you must be allergic maybe to something in one of the foods you ate? something you have eliminated I guess?

interesting to read what others post.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/178/160 5'5"
Yes, I will wake up the next morning with puffy eyes & stuffy nose...
becky123abc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Yes. I get congested if I eat carby foods containing sugar and grains. I woke up yesterday feeling congested as if I was coming down with a head cold but once I ate breakfast as usual and had my coconut oil, I was fine. I found out a few weeks ago that my body reacts (congestion, moderate to severe allergies) badly if I consume certain carbs like the ones mentioned above. Thanksgiving I had only 1 tbsp each of the carby stuff instead of "scoops" of everything which is probably why my reaction was not as bad as it was recently.

Last edited by Rosebud; 11-24-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
wow that was very interesting to hear others get this.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maumie View Post
I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? ) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?
Now that I've been low-carb for a while and know how I'll feel when going off-diet (usually kinda nauseous), I tend not to do this too often. The one exception is beer which I still occasionally partake of and I find that sometimes it does to me exactly as you describe: symptoms like a head cold, stuffy nose, usually some sneezing. No idea why but you're definitely not alone.
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Oh yeah...both husband & I get immediate "head cold" or "hay fever" symptoms when we do the carb-overload. And he starts snoring heavily whenever he carb-overloads (which I believe the snoring is because of the congestion...no snoring when he's eating Atkins-legal) One of my sisters has a lot of allergies, and she says when she's dieting her allergies never seem to be as bad (and she doesn't do Atkins, just counting calories when she diets...but that means she eats more salads and less cookies, bread, etc. so she's eating less grains carbs.)

For us, I'm pretty sure it's not just any old carbs, but specific types of carbs: probably the grains like wheat in the breads or desserts. Because neither of us get those cold-like symptoms when we over-eat things like low carb veggies or nuts...we only get the runny noses when we're eating grains. And hubby gets the runny nose symptoms when he occasionally drinks beer (he drinks the kinds made from grains of course)...I don't drink beer so there's been times when he's drinking low carb beer, and I'm drinking tequila...he gets the congestion and I don't.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MadamWu
Stats: 173/182/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: WW 8/2010 (-25lbs); Low carb 6/21/2012
Wow. I was trying to figure out what I could possibly be allergic to at this time of year and from these descriptions, it might have been the carbs in the bread and cheesecake crust I had on Thanksgiving. My allergy medicine didn't do anything for the symptoms (congestion, sneezing, watery eyes). Bizarre.

MadamWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamWu View Post
Wow. I was trying to figure out what I could possibly be allergic to at this time of year and from these descriptions, it might have been the carbs in the bread and cheesecake crust I had on Thanksgiving. My allergy medicine didn't do anything for the symptoms (congestion, sneezing, watery eyes). Bizarre.

Absolutely! Neither Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec did anything for me recently, the symptoms had to wear off. I am so grateful that I did not have to suffer thru that beast this time!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maumie View Post
People will typically have a higher level of "catecholamines" in circulation while on a low-carb diet -- catecholamines are the fight-or-flight hormones, which include epinephrine and norepinephrine. The hormone insulin usually limits the release of catecholamines, but low-carb diets don't spur large releases of insulin so low-carb dieters typically have more catecholamines in circulation.

The catecholamines do a lot of things -- their release helps to transition the body from sleep to wakefulness in the morning, their release stimulates the heart rate and increases respiration when a person feels like they're in danger -- and increased circulation of the catecholamines also naturally widens the blood vessels to allow increased blood flow and widens the bronchi in the lungs to allow clearer respiration. So having a naturally higher level of catecholamines in circulation due to low-carb dieting could/should stimulate both clearer breathing and more vigorous circulation.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are both very effective treatments for respiratory illnesses. In the past, these were the most common ingredients used in over-the-counter medicines to treat respiratory illnesses. But these ingredients are also commonly used to make dangerous illegal drugs -- see "Breaking Bad" -- so they're now more tightly-regulated by the FDA and are no longer sold over-the-counter. However, they are still the most effective and reliable treatments for respiratory distress so they're still commonly used although they now have to be prescribed or, in some states, the pharmacist just needs to record the purchaser's ID and dates of purchase.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Interesting!!!! If I am understanding you correctly, the increase in carbs spurs insulin which in turn limits the release of the catecholemines hormones which acts a natural decongestant?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Interesting!!!! If I am understanding you correctly, the increase in carbs spurs insulin which in turn limits the release of the catecholemines hormones which acts a natural decongestant?
Exactly! And aside from carbs spurring insulin, a low-carb diet that keeps blood sugar in the "fasted" range (below 90 mg / dl) signals the body to maintain a higher level of catecholamines. Catecholamines are the hormones that make the body ready to fight or to hunt for food, so one of the body's natural responses to a "fasted" blood sugar level is to keep the catecholamines at a level higher than in a "fed" state.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Wowww!!! Thank you so much for that info!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I get the congestion too when I eat carbs and also a return of my TMJ symptoms, when eating low carb I know longer getting the sinus infections that I used to have throughout the year.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
Wow. Just...wow. I wonder what other amazing things I will learn on this journey?
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Totally congested, snoring from wheat.

My have a UTI from sugar bingeing.

Yeah, me too.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
YES

Happens to me every time. Also my skin hurts to the touch, especially my neck/ribs/chest area. Have never found out why that happens but it definitely seems like a red flag. I also get what seems like pinkeye in my left eye. Again, every single time. It's why those "times" are few and far between now.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Yes, plus a return of my elbow arthritis. I know better, and yet did it anyway. Induction tomorrow.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/178/160 5'5"
It's pretty amazing how carbs encourage inflammation in our bodies. I wonder if it's mainly sugar or flour too? I can tell in my right hip if I eat too many carbs.
becky123abc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
People will typically have a higher level of "catecholamines" in circulation while on a low-carb diet -- catecholamines are the fight-or-flight hormones, which include epinephrine and norepinephrine. The hormone insulin usually limits the release of catecholamines, but low-carb diets don't spur large releases of insulin so low-carb dieters typically have more catecholamines in circulation.

The catecholamines do a lot of things -- their release helps to transition the body from sleep to wakefulness in the morning, their release stimulates the heart rate and increases respiration when a person feels like they're in danger -- and increased circulation of the catecholamines also naturally widens the blood vessels to allow increased blood flow and widens the bronchi in the lungs to allow clearer respiration. So having a naturally higher level of catecholamines in circulation due to low-carb dieting could/should stimulate both clearer breathing and more vigorous circulation.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are both very effective treatments for respiratory illnesses. In the past, these were the most common ingredients used in over-the-counter medicines to treat respiratory illnesses. But these ingredients are also commonly used to make dangerous illegal drugs -- see "Breaking Bad" -- so they're now more tightly-regulated by the FDA and are no longer sold over-the-counter. However, they are still the most effective and reliable treatments for respiratory distress so they're still commonly used although they now have to be prescribed or, in some states, the pharmacist just needs to record the purchaser's ID and dates of purchase.
Interesting! That explains at least part of the reason why I am not living on sinus OTC stuff since going LC a year ago.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote