Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Carb Congestion (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/789931-carb-congestion.html)

Maumie 11-24-2012 08:17 AM

Carb Congestion
 
I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? :o) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?

Trigger828 11-24-2012 09:20 AM

no, haven't had that happen. Glutton Fest. oh man. I couldn't do it. I can't stand that feeling anymore of what a glutton fest does to me. I have 'baby glutton fests' now HAHA

you must be allergic maybe to something in one of the foods you ate? something you have eliminated I guess?

interesting to read what others post.

becky123abc 11-24-2012 09:24 AM

Yes, I will wake up the next morning with puffy eyes & stuffy nose...

Rosebud 11-24-2012 10:09 AM

Yes. I get congested if I eat carby foods containing sugar and grains. I woke up yesterday feeling congested as if I was coming down with a head cold but once I ate breakfast as usual and had my coconut oil, I was fine. I found out a few weeks ago that my body reacts (congestion, moderate to severe allergies) badly if I consume certain carbs like the ones mentioned above. Thanksgiving I had only 1 tbsp each of the carby stuff instead of "scoops" of everything which is probably why my reaction was not as bad as it was recently.

Trigger828 11-24-2012 10:23 AM

wow that was very interesting to hear others get this.

LastRick 11-24-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maumie (Post 16096660)
I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? :o) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?

Now that I've been low-carb for a while and know how I'll feel when going off-diet (usually kinda nauseous), I tend not to do this too often. The one exception is beer which I still occasionally partake of and I find that sometimes it does to me exactly as you describe: symptoms like a head cold, stuffy nose, usually some sneezing. No idea why but you're definitely not alone.

catne 11-24-2012 10:51 AM

Oh yeah...both husband & I get immediate "head cold" or "hay fever" symptoms when we do the carb-overload. And he starts snoring heavily whenever he carb-overloads (which I believe the snoring is because of the congestion...no snoring when he's eating Atkins-legal) One of my sisters has a lot of allergies, and she says when she's dieting her allergies never seem to be as bad (and she doesn't do Atkins, just counting calories when she diets...but that means she eats more salads and less cookies, bread, etc. so she's eating less grains carbs.)

For us, I'm pretty sure it's not just any old carbs, but specific types of carbs: probably the grains like wheat in the breads or desserts. Because neither of us get those cold-like symptoms when we over-eat things like low carb veggies or nuts...we only get the runny noses when we're eating grains. And hubby gets the runny nose symptoms when he occasionally drinks beer (he drinks the kinds made from grains of course)...I don't drink beer so there's been times when he's drinking low carb beer, and I'm drinking tequila...he gets the congestion and I don't.

MadamWu 11-24-2012 11:40 AM

Wow. I was trying to figure out what I could possibly be allergic to at this time of year and from these descriptions, it might have been the carbs in the bread and cheesecake crust I had on Thanksgiving. My allergy medicine didn't do anything for the symptoms (congestion, sneezing, watery eyes). Bizarre.

:dunno:

Rosebud 11-24-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadamWu (Post 16096926)
Wow. I was trying to figure out what I could possibly be allergic to at this time of year and from these descriptions, it might have been the carbs in the bread and cheesecake crust I had on Thanksgiving. My allergy medicine didn't do anything for the symptoms (congestion, sneezing, watery eyes). Bizarre.

:dunno:

Absolutely! Neither Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec did anything for me recently, the symptoms had to wear off. I am so grateful that I did not have to suffer thru that beast this time!

Trillex 11-24-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maumie (Post 16096660)
I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? :o) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?

People will typically have a higher level of "catecholamines" in circulation while on a low-carb diet -- catecholamines are the fight-or-flight hormones, which include epinephrine and norepinephrine. The hormone insulin usually limits the release of catecholamines, but low-carb diets don't spur large releases of insulin so low-carb dieters typically have more catecholamines in circulation.

The catecholamines do a lot of things -- their release helps to transition the body from sleep to wakefulness in the morning, their release stimulates the heart rate and increases respiration when a person feels like they're in danger -- and increased circulation of the catecholamines also naturally widens the blood vessels to allow increased blood flow and widens the bronchi in the lungs to allow clearer respiration. So having a naturally higher level of catecholamines in circulation due to low-carb dieting could/should stimulate both clearer breathing and more vigorous circulation.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are both very effective treatments for respiratory illnesses. In the past, these were the most common ingredients used in over-the-counter medicines to treat respiratory illnesses. But these ingredients are also commonly used to make dangerous illegal drugs -- see "Breaking Bad" -- so they're now more tightly-regulated by the FDA and are no longer sold over-the-counter. However, they are still the most effective and reliable treatments for respiratory distress so they're still commonly used although they now have to be prescribed or, in some states, the pharmacist just needs to record the purchaser's ID and dates of purchase.

Rosebud 11-24-2012 03:02 PM

Interesting!!!! If I am understanding you correctly, the increase in carbs spurs insulin which in turn limits the release of the catecholemines hormones which acts a natural decongestant?

Trillex 11-24-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 16097200)
Interesting!!!! If I am understanding you correctly, the increase in carbs spurs insulin which in turn limits the release of the catecholemines hormones which acts a natural decongestant?

Exactly! And aside from carbs spurring insulin, a low-carb diet that keeps blood sugar in the "fasted" range (below 90 mg / dl) signals the body to maintain a higher level of catecholamines. Catecholamines are the hormones that make the body ready to fight or to hunt for food, so one of the body's natural responses to a "fasted" blood sugar level is to keep the catecholamines at a level higher than in a "fed" state.

Rosebud 11-24-2012 03:30 PM

Wowww!!! Thank you so much for that info!

jeaniem 11-24-2012 03:37 PM

I get the congestion too when I eat carbs and also a return of my TMJ symptoms, when eating low carb I know longer getting the sinus infections that I used to have throughout the year.

Maumie 11-25-2012 08:43 AM

Wow. Just...wow. I wonder what other amazing things I will learn on this journey?

quietnite 11-25-2012 09:31 AM

Totally congested, snoring from wheat.

My have a UTI from sugar bingeing.

Yeah, me too.

Naples11 11-25-2012 05:37 PM

YES
 
Happens to me every time. Also my skin hurts to the touch, especially my neck/ribs/chest area. Have never found out why that happens but it definitely seems like a red flag. I also get what seems like pinkeye in my left eye. Again, every single time. It's why those "times" are few and far between now.

JMacB 11-25-2012 06:39 PM

Yes, plus a return of my elbow arthritis. I know better, and yet did it anyway. Induction tomorrow.

becky123abc 11-25-2012 06:45 PM

It's pretty amazing how carbs encourage inflammation in our bodies. I wonder if it's mainly sugar or flour too? I can tell in my right hip if I eat too many carbs.

reddarin 11-26-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trillex (Post 16097176)
People will typically have a higher level of "catecholamines" in circulation while on a low-carb diet -- catecholamines are the fight-or-flight hormones, which include epinephrine and norepinephrine. The hormone insulin usually limits the release of catecholamines, but low-carb diets don't spur large releases of insulin so low-carb dieters typically have more catecholamines in circulation.

The catecholamines do a lot of things -- their release helps to transition the body from sleep to wakefulness in the morning, their release stimulates the heart rate and increases respiration when a person feels like they're in danger -- and increased circulation of the catecholamines also naturally widens the blood vessels to allow increased blood flow and widens the bronchi in the lungs to allow clearer respiration. So having a naturally higher level of catecholamines in circulation due to low-carb dieting could/should stimulate both clearer breathing and more vigorous circulation.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are both very effective treatments for respiratory illnesses. In the past, these were the most common ingredients used in over-the-counter medicines to treat respiratory illnesses. But these ingredients are also commonly used to make dangerous illegal drugs -- see "Breaking Bad" -- so they're now more tightly-regulated by the FDA and are no longer sold over-the-counter. However, they are still the most effective and reliable treatments for respiratory distress so they're still commonly used although they now have to be prescribed or, in some states, the pharmacist just needs to record the purchaser's ID and dates of purchase.

Interesting! That explains at least part of the reason why I am not living on sinus OTC stuff since going LC a year ago.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:14 PM.