Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoKitty
How much carb should be restricted to get into ketosis?

So for about a week or two ive never went above 20g carbs intake. Probbably around 10-12g a day from sweeteners or chese with 1 g per serving, etc. I guess i just want to know how little carbs do i need to intake to get or stay in ketosis? I hear 50g then 20g, then i hear as few as poissible. Anyone have a solid number? or is it different for everyone. Yesterday morning i used a Ketostix to test the ketones and it was in the moderate purple to slightly purpler mark, if that indicates anything.
Also, im new and sorry if ive posted in the wrong area.

Last edited by KetoKitty; 11-23-2012 at 12:31 PM..
KetoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Atkins says <20g/day for induction levels. I try to keep it as low as I can.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoKitty View Post
Yesterday morning i used a Ketostix to test the ketones and it was in the moderate purple to slightly purpler mark, if that indicates anything.
Sounds like you got into ketosis alright. After induction, you'll try to slowly raise it while maintaining ketosis. Keep up the good work.

As for the exact number, it will likely vary by person. Mine is around 50 grams/day, for the record.
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
The sticks never went very dark for me, but I could tell I was in ketosis by my breath and how I was losing. I stopped using them. I think it's probably about 20g for most, but it really does vary person to person.
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yes, a bit different for everyone.

Those urine sticks are not very accurate. The type of ketone that they measure can be diluted and that particular ketone can be excreted through your breath, eyes and skin. But it is inexpensive and fine for most people. You can test a different type of ketone by doing a blood test but the strips are really expensive. I just mention it to let you know that even if the stick says you aren't making ketones it may be lying to you.

The 50g number, which is total carbs not net carbs, comes from Phinney and Volek and it is what they say is the ceiling for Nutritional Ketosis - a steady state of ketosis. They also say that it may need to be adjusted down depending on the individual.

Phinney said that about (I think) 60g of total carbs is high enough to trigger the water retention that higher carb woes cause.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
IDK, but I read in the Atkins "72 that some people never get into ketosis, but still can lose weight so dont just go off ketosis alone.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
For me, I'll fall out of ketosis and stop losing weight if I go over 20 carbs. Sometimes I can get away with 30, but it's a coin toss at that point.

Everyone is different, though. The key to ketosis is ridding your body of stored glycogen. So if you're more active, you might be able to get away with a slightly higher carb ceiling. On the other hand, if you are particularly carb sensitive, you might need to stay lower carb even with activity.

Something else to consider is what kind of carbs you're eating. 20 gross carbs worth of quintuple chocolate & fudge pie is going to hit your system a lot harder than 20 net carbs worth of spinach, onions, and bell peppers.

Fig 1: 20 carbs worth of spinach

At the end of the day it's your call. A lot of people promote finding your ceiling. I've taken the opposite route and found a comfortable floor. Either way, a bit of experimentation will yield positive results. Just don't put too much stock into the ketostix. after a few weeks, you become keto-adapted and the stick will stop turning colors as you are producing a completely different set of ketones (and more efficiently).
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoKitty
Thank you so much everyone for the advice. Im not having much trouble keeping it under 20g, maybe once in a while a craving for some chocolate that i have to tell my self is the devil :P
How do i know im losing weight though? Should i be concentrating on my weight and BMI index or something like tape measurements. Sorry if these questions are stupid but im 21 and ive never been on any sort of diet nor have i ever been told what to (or not to) eat. I picked up The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate book by Jeff Volek to get a little more educated on the diet. Thanks again guys, i love the support.
KetoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Tape measure is probably the best way hands down to track your progress. A good scale is nice to have as long as you track your weight trend over time and can stand strong in the face of some contradictory scale readings despite herculean LC efforts.

Photos are not a bad way to keep an eye on things. Really, you can be shocked by how much your body changes over just a few months time even if you lose very little weight on the scale.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote