Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What safe drinks does Starbucks have? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/789481-what-safe-drinks-does-starbucks-have.html)

spoiltmomof2 11-17-2012 06:50 PM

What safe drinks does Starbucks have?

Just coffee?

It looks like even the skinny lattes have around 16 grams of sugar:(

Arctic_Mama 11-17-2012 10:10 PM

Americanos with SF coffee syrup, if you need sweetness. Ask for sugar free whipped cream, too, as they will often put their syrup based one on there, otherwise.

Drip coffee, cappuccinos with LIGHT foam (less milk than more in these works for some plans and not others, it depends on what is 'safe' on your specific plan). Iced coffee (coffe poured over ice, no mixes like with frappuccinos). The brewed tazo teas are safe, too, but not the lattes made from them. Etc etc. There's lots there, you just must be specific with your ordering and careful on the details, maybe a bit creative.

Cindy-lou 11-18-2012 07:49 AM

omg I was wondering the same thing yesterday...
:)

tiva 11-18-2012 10:37 AM

Their plain coffee is great. Ask for heavy cream--they keep it behind the counter, but they'll always give you some.

For iced coffee, I ask for a double espresso over ice, then add heavy cream.

You can also get a con panna (espresso with a small squirt of whipped cream); ask for unsweetened whipped cream.

Jennyl 11-18-2012 02:34 PM

I can never get my favorite at starbucks, they don't make a sugar free version :(. I like espresso con panna, espresso with whipped cream, but they only have sugar sweetened whipped cream. I either get espresso or just regular coffee. I think you can get a latte, a breve latte or something like that, where it's made with cream instead of milk, but I've never tried that myself

marieze 11-18-2012 05:25 PM

I seldom do, but when I do I go to Sbux, it's a Vente latte with heavy cream and one splenda.....how bad could that be? Sometimes they are pretty heavy handed with the cream so I just have that for my breakfast and call it a day! Hasn't affected the scale at all!

Janknitz 11-18-2012 05:37 PM

I have lattes with heavy cream, Americanos with heavy cream (I don't need sweetener) and as an occasional treat I have a "skinny mocha" with heavy cream. My Starbucks app puts this at 14 grams of carbs (!) but it says the same if skim milk is used so I'm not sure thats correct. (Skim milk has more carbs than cream). Since I'm not sure, I don't do it often.

Nikixie 11-18-2012 06:20 PM

Mmm...breve. I can't even deal with the sugar free syrups anymore.

Every time I order my breve they are like "no syrup, just plain?!" As if I'm crazy. If you do order a breve with sugar free syrup, make sure they don't use milk. One place here does that and i learned the hard way.

Dezi 11-18-2012 06:43 PM

SF Latte or Mocha Breve half water for the half and half

Carli 11-18-2012 07:00 PM

I love their Passion tea hot.

Snoangel 11-18-2012 07:16 PM

I love their iced passion tea w/sf vanilla instead of the classic sweetener or an iced Americano w/sf vanilla and a tiny bit of cream. Cream goes a long way in an iced drink.
Cheers

Lori37 11-19-2012 06:22 AM

I always order an Iced Americano with room for cream. If I'm feeling fancy I'll ask for a pump of SF vanilla. Add the heavy cream myself and if I didn't do the SF vanilla then I'll add splenda. Very satisfying!

lterry913 11-19-2012 06:36 AM

Just had me an americano with sf chocolate syrup and some steamed h&h...yum

Ange 11-19-2012 09:00 AM

I go to Starbucks or Coffee Bean almost everyday (I prefer Coffee Bean but Starbucks is closer to home). I always get an iced Americano with extra ice, cream and I carry liquid splenda with me to put in it. I wish I could get the SF syrups but I have this phobia they will put the non SF one in there instead so I never get flavors.

I actually really like McDonald's basic iced coffee too, but even their regular flavor is loaded with sugar syrup and it really screws them up if you tell them you want it black or with cream only, they ask "no sweetener??" like 3 times and half the time still put the syrup in there because the person taking the order does not relay it correctly to the person making it. There is not a "no syrup" button on their register.

Vilya 11-19-2012 09:50 AM

I'm really wary of ordering any coffee drinks anywhere, because I don't trust the employees to really hear what I'm saying about making sure to use the SF whatever.

There was a thread on here awhile ago about McDonald's SF iced coffee - I think it's vanilla flavor?

Arctic_Mama 11-19-2012 11:00 AM

Haha Vilya! I have this irrational fear that they'll give me regular coke instead of diet or sugar syrups instead of SF, too. And yet I know when I worked in coffee shops and tea houses I was careful about that, even before my dieting days. Still, I am a bit paranoid until the first sip as I can taste the difference between the two versions ;)

pocahontas 11-19-2012 12:21 PM

Coffee straight up or an americano! You can order a shot of sf syrup or just add splenda yourself. I prefer half n half so I add my own but they do have heavy whipping cream behind the counter that you can ask for.

Cindy-lou 11-19-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 16087787)
I'm really wary of ordering any coffee drinks anywhere, because I don't trust the employees to really hear what I'm saying about making sure to use the SF whatever.

There was a thread on here awhile ago about McDonald's SF iced coffee - I think it's vanilla flavor?

My daughter works at McDonalds and I just asked her about the SF "shots" (as they call it ) and she said yes they only have a SF Vanilla :)

picklepete 11-19-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 16087787)

I'm exactly the same. I love how movie theaters sell coffee now, but the 16yo staff always seems nervous and confused when I order one with SF syrup (even though it's clearly offered on the menu). I watch them like a hawk. :p

flappa1016 11-22-2012 08:28 AM

There have been a few times when I've gotten regular syrup in my coffee or Americano, so I've learned to taste it before I leave the store. If they screwed up then they will make you another, and the one sip of sugared syrup isn't going to kill me, lol!

Most days I bring my own cup ($.10 discount!) and put in my own sf syrup and pastured heavy whipping cream before I leave the house. That way I get a better selection of sf flavors (thank you DaVinci and Monin), and I KNOW that my order is correct. And since they removed the free syrup option from their Gold card program, it costs less to use my own.

I always let them know that I've already added the cream when I hand the cup over to the cashier/barista because one time I caught them right before they were dumped the cream because they thought it was a dirty cup that needed cleaning :(

Z 11-22-2012 10:26 PM

I always ask for a venti sugar-free caramel heavy cream latte, no milk, with 2 extra shots of espresso.

Then I make explicitly sure that they understand that I cannot have sugar or regular milk for medical reasons.

To be honest, it isn't worth the effort when no one around here knows how to make a latte in the first place.

Now I just drink regular coffee at home. Lately I've been enjoying the Kona coffee, but I try to mix it up so my palette doesn't become lazy. Then it's heavy cream and splenda. Fortunately my carbs stay so low that have the headroom for quite a bit of Splenda.

Kris T. 11-24-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z (Post 16094825)
To be honest, it isn't worth the effort when no one around here knows how to make a latte in the first place..

Me too, except it's the control freak in me. :laugh:

Gymnopedie 11-24-2012 08:34 AM

3 shots espresso, over ice, with HC. :)

Dezi 11-24-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezi (Post 16086823)
SF Latte or Mocha Breve half water for the half and half

Update: One of the holiday flavors comes in SF!! The peppermint. I ordered the liquid to be half water and half HWC and they did not understand the point of that LOL.

spoiltmomof2 11-24-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezi (Post 16096874)
Update: One of the holiday flavors comes in SF!! The peppermint. I ordered the liquid to be half water and half HWC and they did not understand the point of that LOL.

Lol

Janknitz 11-25-2012 08:38 PM

Confused!

Today I ordered a Decaf Americano with heavy cream. I have the Starbucks app, and the nutritional info for that says only 10 calories in that, NO fat (2 g carbs + 1 g protein)? Where'd the fat go???

Are they using real cream or not???

Pippa 03-03-2013 04:53 PM

Just read on a Paleo board that Starbucks uses a "heavy cream" that is low fat! Ugh! This probably means it has added sugar. Dagnabbit

DiamondDeb 03-03-2013 05:24 PM

I no longer consume dairy so I'm down to a blonde, black. For iced coffee, the regular roast. I add my own stevia. Tastes great! :D

svenskamae 03-03-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pippa (Post 16293346)
Just read on a Paleo board that Starbucks uses a "heavy cream" that is low fat! Ugh! This probably means it has added sugar. Dagnabbit

Dagnabbit, indeed! :mad: What a drag! :down: Thanks for letting us know. I hope their half and half is really half and half. I'll be sticking to that now--or just avoiding Starbucks.

I assume that Starbucks' low fat "heavy cream" is cheaper than the real stuff or lasts longer because it's full of chemicals and preservatives and sweetener. :sick: Because who the heck would order coffee with "heavy cream" if they wanted something low fat? :doh:

SunsetsOnTheBeach 03-03-2013 09:30 PM

I've been ordering a tall sugar free vanilla breve latte. Delicious! I don't get them very often, but when I do I really don't feel guilty about it, and it hasn't really affected the scale at all.