Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I rarely buy a SB in the store. But I brew a variety of their coffees at home. I guess I am my own barista!
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post

Most days I bring my own cup ($.10 discount!) and put in my own sf syrup and pastured heavy whipping cream before I leave the house. That way I get a better selection of sf flavors (thank you DaVinci and Monin), and I KNOW that my order is correct. And since they removed the free syrup option from their Gold card program, it costs less to use my own.

I always let them know that I've already added the cream when I hand the cup over to the cashier/barista because one time I caught them right before they were dumped the cream because they thought it was a dirty cup that needed cleaning
What a terrific idea! I even have a "Starbucks" Travel Mug that I use for my home brewed coffee. I don't know why I wouldn't think to take it into the shop with the cream already in it.

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Dagnabbit, indeed! What a drag! Thanks for letting us know. I hope their half and half is really half and half. I'll be sticking to that now--or just avoiding Starbucks.

I assume that Starbucks' low fat "heavy cream" is cheaper than the real stuff or lasts longer because it's full of chemicals and preservatives and sweetener. Because who the heck would order coffee with "heavy cream" if they wanted something low fat?
Ask to see the carton...I watch them make mine and they pull the carton out to make it...My sbucks is a franchise so maybe a lil less strict but the h&h they use is one I checked on line and safe...the hwc is from a can and they don't keep heavy cream in a carton so I stay away from that.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosewoodb
Stats: Original 192 weight Restart 165/156.5/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Original March 2010 Restart: February 18, 2013
I either get a coffee with HWC (They let me pour it myself yesterday and it was indeed REAL HWC- YAY!) or I just tried a tall breve with 3 shots of espresso. It was DIVINE!! If you can tolerate AS then have them add some SF syrup of your choosing. I find that the workers are ALWAYS happy to accommodate my needs. I treat them nicely and they do the same in return.

Happy drinking!

BJ
rosewoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
The breves are delish(too delish) but way high in calories...that is why I switched to the americano with a shot of syrup and then either add hwc if they have in a carton...or just have them froth up 2 ounces of h& h with some water.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I am really sensitive to carbs so I would probably do one of two things. Just get regular coffee and either ask for the heavy cream or use the regular cream just not use as much. The other choice would be to ask for a shot of expresso in a latte cup and a cup of hot water on the side. Add some hot water to the expresso and then add in the heavy cream or regular cream. It also depends on how sensitive to carbs you are. Not sure about this low fat, heavy cream option. What is that all about?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
It's been a long time since I ordered anything but a plain coffee. I'm sure the staff is irked when I occupy a table for an hour sipping and reading. When I'm at home then I get more playful with the coconut milk and SF syrup.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'm really wary of ordering any coffee drinks anywhere, because I don't trust the employees to really hear what I'm saying about making sure to use the SF whatever.
I have been a type I for 20 years now and I have only once had someone give me a non-diet soda when I asked for diet. My blood sugar goes through the roof if I drink a regular soda (or sweetened coffee drink), so I would absolutely know it. I am still paranoid and very careful and always asking my dh to taste (bc I can't taste the difference, sadly). But I do think the likelihood of getting a sugared version is pretty low.

I have a few drinks in my rotation: unsweetened coffee or iced coffee with HWC, coffee with SF mocha syrup (although I always ask for one or two pumps less than their normal depending on the size) and HWC, or unsweetened passion iced tea.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I usually dislike coffee with any kind of sweetener - plain coffee with cream or half and half is my usual fix. However, for a special treat, since it tasts like dessert to me, I have just discovered - and love - the sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup. I recently started ordering the breve lattes w/the c.d. syrup and they are so yummy, but I reserve it as a 1x wk treat, as I know the half and half adds lots of carbs. I didn't know I could ask for it with heavy cream - but did I read somewhere on here that Starbucks uses a heavy cream base that adds sugar?
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosewoodb
Stats: Original 192 weight Restart 165/156.5/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Original March 2010 Restart: February 18, 2013
Maybe some Starbucks, but mine handed over the HWC to me and it was normal, heavy cream only.
rosewoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Dagnabbit, indeed! What a drag! Thanks for letting us know. I hope their half and half is really half and half. I'll be sticking to that now--or just avoiding Starbucks.

I assume that Starbucks' low fat "heavy cream" is cheaper than the real stuff or lasts longer because it's full of chemicals and preservatives and sweetener. Because who the heck would order coffee with "heavy cream" if they wanted something low fat?
I work in Starbucks. I actually work for Kroger that owns our Starbucks. The only non-Starbucks "stuff" we use is our milks. For our milks we buy right off the shelf at Kroger. We have half and half (not fat free); we have heavy whipping cream (for whipped cream,but we will open one if a customer asks for it in their coffee) and the milks (whole, 2%, skim) we use are Kroger brand as well. EVERYTHING else is Starbucks brand. I am fortunate in that I can make my own drink the way I want But I am also one of the fortunate ones that if you want special--I can do that! Skinny, fat laden, whatever you want....we are to do!!! No special request shall be turned down. We have done many a special drink too. But I am sure that each Starbucks will be different, despite the fact that they are NOT supposed to be. You order from me and I will make it different than the baristas I work with, just because I follow the "recipe" while some clearly do NOT Oh, I admit that sometimes I do make a mistake. I have "off-days" but I try not to have too many of those Everytime someone wants a decaff, I have to make it at least 2 times. Even though I know it is a decaff, my hand just pushes that darned regular button. But I do catch myself. We have a customer that gets his drink every day from us--"you put 3 shots in there, right?" Kind of a reminder, because you just never know......sometimes it helps to know our customers have our backs
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
I didn't know I could ask for it with heavy cream - but did I read somewhere on here that Starbucks uses a heavy cream base that adds sugar?
You sure can And we don't add any sugar to our heavy cream. It is straight off the shelf at Kroger. The whipped cream has the vanilla syrup in it, and THAT syrup has the sugar in it.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
You sure can And we don't add any sugar to our heavy cream. It is straight off the shelf at Kroger. The whipped cream has the vanilla syrup in it, and THAT syrup has the sugar in it.
Thanks, Dawn! I see you're back to Starbucks from Chik-Fil-A. No, I'm not your stalker, I've just valued your Starbuck's advice as "one in the know" for the past couple years!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #44

That is me!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I always get a coffee with sf vanilla and hwc. Now I will check to make sure it's really just hwc!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
Starbucks HWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Hey there! I just posted about this earlier today. Went to a couple of local Starbucks and they said they had changed Vendors. There HWC has more carbs than there half and half. Apparently vanilla is added. This is at two stores in the Memphis, TN area and one in Olive Branch, MS.

I just happened to find out when a girl waiting on me heard me say low carb. She showed me the carton...I was sooooo upset!!!!

Maybe it isn't all of them. I have only gotten HWC a few times....kind of quimish about that much fat...stil....but it was sooooo good!

They told me to tell the company...so I did send an email today...

Hopefully it isn't all of them...but people better ask to see the carton...Thanks for the info though!
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelley36 View Post
Maybe it isn't all of them. I have only gotten HWC a few times....kind of quimish about that much fat...stil....but it was sooooo good!

They told me to tell the company...so I did send an email today...

Hopefully it isn't all of them...but people better ask to see the carton...Thanks for the info though!
Like I said, it is not like that at ours. Ours is whipping cream you can buy right off the shelf in our Kroger. We do not buy that from Starbucks. But stand alone stores are different. They don't have the access we do to fresh milk and cream. I don't know what we would do if we were not in a grocery. We run out of stuff a lot and we just take off the shelf at our store Out of soy milk? Get it from Kroger! Need some lactose free milk? Got it in the fridge section at Kroger. Need some sugar for the condiment bar? Got that at Kroger too. I mean it is so handy, I love it
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessrose18
Stats: 204/187/160
a starbucks question.... i order two shots of espresso with sugar free mocha in a grande cup with ice...i then ask at the end of the counter when they give me my drink if they have heavy cream and i pour some in myself. i seem to get an attitude from the employee's a lot when i do this. is this not ok? should i tell them to add it when i order? one time the lady told me i was cheating by ordering a "poor mans mocha" and not getting charged for a iced mocha drink (much cheaper to order syrup and 2 shots of espresso). so just curious....
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #49
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Don't forget about iced tea! They have some wonderful teas!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
a starbucks question.... i order two shots of espresso with sugar free mocha in a grande cup with ice...i then ask at the end of the counter when they give me my drink if they have heavy cream and i pour some in myself. i seem to get an attitude from the employee's a lot when i do this. is this not ok? should i tell them to add it when i order? one time the lady told me i was cheating by ordering a "poor mans mocha" and not getting charged for a iced mocha drink (much cheaper to order syrup and 2 shots of espresso). so just curious....
No, you are find in ordering what you are. When you ask for cream at the "end of the bar" they should give it to you with no issues. It is as if you are adding cream to your coffee, and should NOT be an extra charge!!! Just tell them that if they give you hassles, or ask for a manager. You should not be charged a breve price if you are only putting in a tad of the cream. When we charge for breves, we steam the cream. When it is added, it is as if you are adding cream to a cup of coffee--and we don't charge for that. When I have a customer order an Americano, I ask if they want room for cream. That is what you are ordering---room for cream and want real cream!

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-14-2013 at 03:44 AM..