Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
Shirataki Noodles - Cheapest place to buy?

I've recently discovered I LOVE the fettuccini/angel hair shirataki noodles. I bought a variety pack that was close to 40$ awhile back from a popular company that makes these, and at first couldnt find any recipe I liked them with. Most of the time i would try a new recipie with the noodles, taste it and hate it, and end up wasting an entire bag (sometimes two) However, I had two bags sitting in my pantry and decided to try something new. I cooked the noodles as directed then tossed in 1 T melted butter, 1 T parm, and s&p. It was amazing! So now that Ive used up the last two bags I am wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy them cost wise? How much does say a 7oz bag usually go for in stores? Online its 3 something and I hate paying that much for one bag of those! Also, the only store I'm seeing online in my area that carries it is Market Street, I've never been there but don't know where else I could buy the noodles? Also, how do you guys like the noodles for your plan? Anybody else use them and like them?

Thanks!

Last edited by A'smommy; 11-16-2012 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Found them for 2.20 a bag!! :)
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Internet pack! You can get them many places, but I am almost positive Netrition sells miracle noodles in bulk packages. If you live in the continental US the shipping cost is low enough to make it significantly cheaper than most stores.

ETA - Netrition indeed sells a 24 pack, which is a great deal per package for the cost.

As for me, I have to use other e-tailers who don't ship UPS, it's just too expensive to Alaska

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 11-16-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Artic Mama! I went ahead and ordered a 20 pack of noodles online! It was free shipping, and then they had a 10% off your entire order deal happening! So the final cost came out to about 2.05 per pack which isnt that bad. Last time I paid 3.29 a bag BEFORE shipping

I'm gunna go check out netrition right now and see what their prices are for next time!

& Oh gosh!! I've always wondered about that, what people who live in Alaska/Hawaii do about crazy shipping prices for things. Usually theres an area down in the fine print when shopping that says something like " Prices include continental U.S. shipping only, Alaska/Hawaii not included" Alaska looks like a beautiful place though, so I'm sure its makes it worth living there! I've always wanted to visit! Ive never heard of an "e-tailer" ... is that just an online retailer?

Thanks again
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yup, just an online retailer. And for most everyday online purchases, USPS shipping rates are fine. But Fed Ex and UPS only ship air or ground, which usually works out to $35 MINIMUM shipping cost. I've had orders total $10 and the shipping is triple that, which is just not feasible. Priority flat rate is a much nicer way to go, or parcel post/first class

Now with heavier orders, like freight or even sizable online orders of heavy things like coffee syrups, the UPS/Fedex rates (which they must fly up here regardless) begin to make sense. And for anything over 50 pounds, it is the same or cheaper to use the private carriers. But clothes/books/diet products/etc? If the retailer doesn't have a USPS shipping option it is pretty much no dice for any order under $100. I just refuse to pay more than 1/4 my total order cost to get it to me! And I live in one of the cheaper parts of Alaska to ship to. The further from the city centers you get, the more expensive it becomes as additional trucks and planes become necessary.

It IS a lovely place to live, I'm so happy I chose to come here as soon as I turned 18, but there are downsides to the Last Frontier, as it were. Expensive travel and shipping options are those big downsides.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
I go to Chinatown and buy them in a run down shop-1.50 per package....
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Yup, just an online retailer. And for most everyday online purchases, USPS shipping rates are fine. But Fed Ex and UPS only ship air or ground, which usually works out to $35 MINIMUM shipping cost. I've had orders total $10 and the shipping is triple that, which is just not feasible. Priority flat rate is a much nicer way to go, or parcel post/first class

Now with heavier orders, like freight or even sizable online orders of heavy things like coffee syrups, the UPS/Fedex rates (which they must fly up here regardless) begin to make sense. And for anything over 50 pounds, it is the same or cheaper to use the private carriers. But clothes/books/diet products/etc? If the retailer doesn't have a USPS shipping option it is pretty much no dice for any order under $100. I just refuse to pay more than 1/4 my total order cost to get it to me! And I live in one of the cheaper parts of Alaska to ship to. The further from the city centers you get, the more expensive it becomes as additional trucks and planes become necessary.

It IS a lovely place to live, I'm so happy I chose to come here as soon as I turned 18, but there are downsides to the Last Frontier, as it were. Expensive travel and shipping options are those big downsides.
JEEZE! $35 for shipping just sounds insane to me! I thought paying $5-10 was bad! Its nice to know they have a few ways of working around that or making it a little more affordable in some situations, but that is still tough! & yeah I've wondered about the traveling too. What it would be like to live in a single state that was kinda off on its own. I live in Texas so traveling for me isnt really an issue and its kinda weird to think about!! Lol! I think sometimes I have all these crazy ideas in my head about other places that I havent been too that probably dont make much sense to the people that actually live there! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
I go to Chinatown and buy them in a run down shop-1.50 per package....
Thank you Melle! 1.50 sounds like an AWESOME deal! I ended up paying $41 and some change for a pack of 20 w/ shipping included, so not too far off from that! But next time will probably try to locate an Asian market of some sorts to see if I can find any there!