Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
specific binges one was afraid to admit until NOW

Several years ago,I was going to my (earth)brother's house for Christmas. I bought 2 lbs of rugelach,a favorite of my late (earth)mom. At the last minute, I (ahem)came down with the flu, stayed home, and devoured every one of those rugelach. It is not just the food, but the behaviors such food can engender. It is no different from a coke or crystal meth etc addict, compulsive gambler etal. The behaviors are the same, and cumulative. I am so glad it is history, and not still going on. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
OK here is my confession,
I have done this several times in the past.
I would make a delicious dessert for my husband.
We would have a little after dinner and put it away.
The next day while he was out I would end up eating all the rest of it.
To hide this I would make more of this dessert and eat the the same amount that we had eaten the night before. So that at dinner he could not tell what had happened.
What shame I felt.
Definitely an addiction.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
OK here it is:

More than once, I've gone thru the drive thru at McD's and ordered multiple orders of sandwiches/fries. So the person working didn't know that it was all gonna be for me, I would also order multiple drinks (that I didn't even want).....

Yep - I'd eat it all, hide the wrappers and then also have another meal with the family later....
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
OK here is my confession,
I have done this several times in the past.
I would make a delicious dessert for my husband.
We would have a little after dinner and put it away.
The next day while he was out I would end up eating all the rest of it.
To hide this I would make more of this dessert and eat the the same amount that we had eaten the night before. So that at dinner he could not tell what had happened.
What shame I felt.
Definitely an addiction.
Me too.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Love this confession thread lol.

In college, I would sometimes order a domino's pizza and eat the entire thing. Always felt sick afterward, not to mention guilty. Mentally though, had to finish the whole pizza so that I could put the episode behind me!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

i have done it all, but

the one that started this thread involved other people. almost all my binges were all me, but they(the family) were really upset that i did not show up for Xmas. (I do not think they bought the flu story), but they certainly did not guess about the real reason why i cancelled. FF
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
OK here it is:

More than once, I've gone thru the drive thru at McD's and ordered multiple orders of sandwiches/fries. So the person working didn't know that it was all gonna be for me, I would also order multiple drinks (that I didn't even want).....

Yep - I'd eat it all, hide the wrappers and then also have another meal with the family later....
Me too.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Years and years ago, I went home from work and opened one of those giant cans of Dinty Moore beef stew (like, the Sam's Club size) and was eating it right out of the can with a wooden spoon.

My roommate came home and caught me, mid-binge. I was so humiliated.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
OK here it is:

I did this regularly for years. I'd even go thru more than one drive-thru just on my way home from work... then come home and eat a full dinner and have evening snacks. It's like I felt that whatever was eaten without anyone seeing didn't count, even though my morbidly obese body revealed the truth.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
I'd binge on pretty much anything. Definitely did the mcd's. My order there was 2 mcchicken 2 mcdoubles and a 20 peice nugget order. Ugh. I'd definitely eat more later too.

I also used to get frozen food from Safeway and make it all and binge on that (a whole pizza, the pizza rolls, taquitos, a pint of ice cream etc.

Usually though I'd just eat 4 very large meals when I was in eating mode.

I gained 30 lbs in 3 years. The only reason it wasn't more is because I'd have a month or two in there every so often where I'd be super "good" and work out like crazy and eat like 800 cals not sustainable!
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
Low carb is the only thing that helps me not binge. I binged my way through ww
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Great thread!

My husband and I would plan to start a diet, and the night before we'd have what we called an "end all, end all" and that night we'd eat all sorts of bad stuff. Usually I'd bake a cake and we'd HALF it, or I'd make a big pan of homemade cookies and we'd eat them until we were sick. Then we wouldn't start the diet, and do the "end all, end all" all over again. Sometimes for several nights in a row.

We always waited until our daughters went to bed because we never wanted them to know. We were ashamed, but laughed it off.

Probably done this hundreds of times throughout the years.

Last edited by natural_born_texan; 11-16-2012 at 09:50 AM..
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
I would track the cupcake truck via tweets on twitter. They would tweet their schedule and I would either leave work early or on an off day make a special trip (on public transportation) to the location nearest my home to meet them. One time, they were late showing up to their location and I called the owner (yep, had her number...ok, I still have her number in my phone) to find out "where the hell the truck at?" Those cupcakes are SO GOOD!!!

Last edited by Rosebud; 11-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: add punctuation
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
I have sat, several times I'm ashamed to say, to watch t v with a family size bag of Nacho or Taco flavored Doritos and eat it all, then proceed to make my self 2 sanwiches.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
I have sat, several times I'm ashamed to say, to watch t v with a family size bag of Nacho or Taco flavored Doritos and eat it all, then proceed to make my self 2 sanwiches.
^^Sounds like me...Nacho Cheese Doritos are my nemesis.

I could easily scarf an entire family-size bag along with a double batch of french onion dip (two envelopes soup mix, 16-oz container of sour cream)...hating myself the entire time I ate it, and still not be full afterward.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Isn't it amazing, I know I have eaten huge quantities of food in a frenzy that would probably be described as a binge, but the specifics are SO hazy. I think I must block them out.

The only one I can think of that I deliberately hid was when I was a teen - we had a cookie fundraiser for our school where we had to sell these giant chocolate chip cookies for some venture or other, and I think I pretty much singlehandedly ate my entire box over the course of a month or so. Then I took money from my Mom's purse to cover some of the amount and asked her, specifically, for the rest. I have no idea what was going through her head, but she didn't call me out on it even though I'm pretty sure she knew what I did. I hid the wrappers under my bed.

But that's really the only thing that comes to mind with details.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I did this regularly for years. I'd even go thru more than one drive-thru just on my way home from work... then come home and eat a full dinner and have evening snacks. It's like I felt that whatever was eaten without anyone seeing didn't count, even though my morbidly obese body revealed the truth.
Uh huh. My usual McD order was a fish sandwich (extra tartar sauce please!) and a cheeseburger, with one or two strawberry sundaes. I would eat them in the parking lot then toss the bag in their garbage can. And then I'd go to Wendy's. Repeat.

And then home for dinner, of course!

I would like to say I have not had a binge since being on LC but the other day I DID have a binge with (mostly) low carb foods. It felt a little like old times but truthfully, without the sugar, it just didn't hit the brain receptors in quite the same way- so I couldn't quite do it justice!

This was great because it made me just think- "What was the point of that?". At this moment I really can't see me ever binging again.

Last edited by Gabby1; 11-16-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Mine wasn't really a binge; more so going to the extreme to satisfy my cravings for cupcakes at the time. I would eat one a day (honest) but I would make it my business to meet this truck when I got the urge. Thank goodness for LC because now that I reflect on it, geez - really? LOL
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I have (not just once either) eaten 3 entire tubes of salt & vinegar Pringles in one sitting. One time I did it in under half an hour too, and they were my roommate's stash. I had to rush out and buy them to replace before she got back.

I wish I could say low carb cured my binging, but it didn't. I mentioned it before on this board, but while fully into low carb and not having any strange cravings, I still once ate an entire 24oz large canister of Costco Mauna Loa macadamia nuts in a day. I know a lot of people don't count calories, but still, that was 5586 calories in just macadamia nuts alone that I had that day. And no, that wasn't the only thing I ate that day by far.

Those salty snacky foods are dangerous for me. Not sure if those tendencies have truly gone away completely for me, but the only thing that seemed to help me deal with it was IF via JUDDD. It gave me a sense of control and peace with food that I never had before.

Last edited by vilanteira; 11-16-2012 at 12:21 PM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I totally forgot to mention Girl Scout cookies!!!

Boxes at a time
(in my defense, they don't put very many in each box AND it was for a good cause!)
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I have also eaten way more than I should even on LC. I don't call those few lapses a binge, though, because it was done with a lot more mindfulness and not the "tranced out" state that used to happen with a binge.

I unfortunately do NOT have the problem of not being able to overeat fat. The few times I've gone overboard were on things like an entire batch of SF Jello pudding, made with half HWC and half water. That's a cup of HWC, which is 800 calories just there!

I have also done the "pre-dinner" dinner at fast food places. My place was Sonic. Chili cheese coney, large popcorn chicken, large Reese's Blast. Then home for dinner. Ugh!
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I've never had a sweet tooth, but..curry! Ah...my usual order would be like:

Chicken tikka starter
Sheekh kebab starter
Tarka dhall
Stuffed paratha x 2
Cucumber raita
Chicken Madras
Chicken Dhansak
Pilau rice
Pickles and chutneys

I'd kid myself that it would be 'dinner' for at least the next 24 hrs, but somehow it never lasted that long.

My other weak spot was egg mayonnaise sandwiches - I could easily eat 3 rounds per sitting, loads of butter on the bread, with crisps (erm, chips?) inserted for crunch. I can almost feel myself bloating at the thought now - always used to feel ill afterwards, but couldn't stop doing it.

Pizza - an entire 14" Domino's pizza with pepperoni, anchovies, black olives, jalapenos, mushrooms, green pepper and garlic (no, my tastebuds are just fine, thanks, but I do like intense flavours!). I would feel SO bad afterwards, terrible indigestion, couldn't sleep...

Then there was Chinese - sweet 'n sour pork balls, that 'seaweed' stuff with crushed cashews and sugar on top (SUGAR!), crispy chilli beef, duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce, special fried rice and then some 'wet' dish to counteract (ha!) all the fried food. At least my dessert was restrained - lychees in syrup - lol!

Where I live, there is NO delivery food, and it's a long trip to fast/takeaway food places - but I still managed to overeat massively - just stuff like the egg mayo sarnies. Happy to say that the past 8 weeks, when I've (mostly) been in the UK - where all of the above treats are a mere phone call away, I've not picked up that phone once, and continue to shrink Long live low carb!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
I'm pretty sure I could binge any of you under the table.

My binges are always sweets and baked goods and I have eaten the following in one day or less (sometime in a morning!)

12 cupcakes (full size)
4 lbs of M&M peanut butter (every single day for about 2 weeks)
1 sleeve of 4 Twix bars each day
2 bags of caramel Hershey kisses
An entire cake, preferably chocolate
6 Peanut butter cup cupcakes from Starbucks--I was addicted for a while...

I can't remember more, but there is DEFINITELY more.

I have a problem with sweets worse than any heroin addict.

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #24

now that we have cleansed our souls

it is time to forgive ourselves, and to take the steps to see that we do not repeat the mistakes of the past. Also, it would not hurt to say 3 hail Flatferenghis. It will make you feel better. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
fast food drive thru maniac like the others. would order extra drinks to make it look like it wasn't all for me. (hangs head in shame and pity, never will I do that again )

also at night. in front of tv. start with 1 brownie, leads to 1/2 can nuts, leads to 1/2 bag potatoe chips, leads to any type of chocolate item in the house, leads to ice cream. No matter ALL I ate before, ice cream was the end. I made sure I ate all I needed too before I hit that 1/2 gallon of ice cream. yea I ate like 1/2 of it.

wow seems ages ago I did those nasty things. whew.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
it is time to forgive ourselves, and to take the steps to see that we do not repeat the mistakes of the past. Also, it would not hurt to say 3 hail Flatferenghis. It will make you feel better. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Yup, water under the bridge.
Thank goodness it is all in the past!
Only wish I had know how carbs affected me years ago.

For good measure

Hail Flatferenghis!
Hail Falterenghis!
Hail Faltreenghis!

Better
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ange
It looks like my ordering two drinks at the drive-thru wasn't as sneaky as I thought it was since so many have mentioned doing the same! I would order so much stuff I'd always get an extra drink so the drive thru workers wouldn't think it was all for me. My favorite was Del Taco fries and quesadillas.

My worst binge time is at night, and even on low carb I still feel like I need a snack in bed. It's been a habit since I was a baby, my grandma (overweight too) would always make us a piece of bread and butter to take to bed with us. As I got older and made my own snacks it turned into multiple candy bars, chips, ice cream...all kinds of sweets and tons of it.
Ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Wow. Thanks everyone for putting it out there! Makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one who has binges. Still fighting the urges!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
LOL yea I have to say reading all this 'in a way' makes me feel better. I wondered if I was the only person doing these things. even though I knew I wasn't, I still felt like I was the only one!

one thing tho, I am so glad I got control of those binges. truly. they were just ugly.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
You bunch of Fast Food amateurs...All you have to do is order some sandwiches without pickles and some with extra onion. Obviously for 2 different people.

Why spend the extra money on diet drinks?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote