Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I totally get the apple trigger. Almost anything that is close to "delicious" food for me will start the ball rolling. Even low carb tortillas. I can't stop with a serving w/peanut butter. The whole bag will be gone within hours. Pumpkin pie? Breakfast, lunch and dinner til' gone. Crackers (soda or Ritz)? Whole sleeves for a "meal". I won't even talk about rice. I haven't had it in YEARS. Tons of butter and salt for a massive size bowl for dinner. I'd be hungry and hour later.

Let's not talk about Honeycrisp apples. They'll hear us. Seriously. (I love you!)

Last edited by 3fatcats; 10-20-2013 at 10:22 AM..
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Oreo cookies and milk and ice cream. Can't have them not ever. Major binge trigger right there
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
For me it would be salty and crunchy more than sweet.
I have to keep nuts out of the house.
Of course, if I had ice cream in the freezer it wouldn't last either -- it would have to be eaten.
A bottle of wine would have a short life.

I am ready to face wine over the holidays without drinking (I've done it before), but I have to psychologically prepare to face it down. Avoiding the first taste or first bite is important if in the house. I have never been one for moderation in all things.

Last edited by Patience; 10-20-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
A binge is something we do on ANY kind of food, there is no special kind of food we binge on. As you said in a previous post that you are not a binger and I'm sure you may find this type of eating behavior "strange", as you put it.

Just so you understand; We find it a VERY real problem, not something to laugh about and do not tend to laugh at ourselves over this issue.
Unfortunately, I did not understand what I was saying. I had just joined this forum, and had never been a member of a diet forum before. I never meant to cause hurt feelings because of my ignorance, but I'm apologizing now, just shy of a year gone. I hope everyone is continuing to recover.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Even bingers need a sense of humor though . . . . or maybe not?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pri17cess72
Stats: 180/in progress/130 5'5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Re-start again October 21 2013
My first realization of binge eating was about 18 years old. I used to drive to next town to go to a restaurant called Nations (even though I lived 5min away from one). I would go around 11pm order a whole chocolate cream pie. Eat the ENTIRE pie in my car. Drive home and fall asleep from a carb coma.

Occasionally, currently if we have some chips or sweets in the house that my rail thin bf likes to eat, I will finish it then tell him I had to throw it away so I wouldn't be tempted. He still to this day does not know I binged.

Ps. Great thread and I feel a tiny bit better admitting this.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oohpujie
Stats: 185/165/130
WOE: Ketogenic, whole foods based.
Start Date: Restarted 10/14/13.
Ah, binging. Something that I've only recently realized that I do/did, and that other people engage in this behavior too. The most fascinating part of it is the secrecy that most of us partake in - I have ALWAYS waited til I am alone to binge. I think that is probably key - anything you are eating in secret because of the shame you'd feel being seen eating it around other people = binge.

My favorite binge meal would be Special K cereal, with heavy cream and a few teaspoons of sugar. I also loved krispy kreme donuts (AND I LIVE DOWN THE STREET FROM A KK STORE!), broccoli-raisin salad, oreo cookies, doritos, pizza, fancy prepared foods from Whole Foods...

I have often considered a binge to be a "treat" for myself - bad day? Binge. Fight with boyfriend? Binge. Ate well for two weeks? Binge. Terrible idea. Associating a binge with a reward has been incredibly difficult for me to break. This is why I cannot do sanctioned cheat days within my life anymore.
oohpujie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I can't count the times I have went through the drive thru, eaten all of the food, and then stopped to empty out all of the trash so that my family wouldn't know what I'd done. The only food that I can literally polish off in one sitting is double stuff Oreo cookies. They are my downfall. And little Debbie nutty bars.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Years ago I had to leave a Thanksgiving diner early so I could do some serious eating.
Now this wasn't my worst binge yet but it's just the principal of the thing. But recently
I was binging and while eating a bout of nausia hit me I thought I was going to throw up but darn if I didn't want to finish what I was eating. Heck of a decesion do I spend the next 30 seconds eating or runing to the bathroom to throw up!
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ylodazy
WOE: No Sugar, No Starch
Start Date: August 13 2013
Frenzy

I associate binging more with a high energy eating, frenzied, a desperate need to eat as much as possible RIGHT NOW, and less with particular foods.

The worst part is not the eating but how hard it is not to beat yourself up after it happens, at a time when what is needed is to accept ourselves and be understanding.
Ylodazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #161
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Wow. Thanks everyone for putting it out there! Makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one who has binges. Still fighting the urges!
Yep, me too!

Drives me crazy!

I see myself in a lot of the post here. Looks like I am not alone. For all who struggle,
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
What I have noticed is that the binges become bigger as far as the volume of food consumed, frighteningly so at times! What I used to consider a binge or binge behavior would now be considered a relatively good day.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #163
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
I haven't binged in years, but I do remember nights when I'd get 2 big macs, 20 pc nuggets, super sized fries, lg vanilla shake and take it home and eat it, then have an entire McCain Deep & Delicious marble cake for dessert.

I don't miss the binging, but what I do miss (and often dream of) is fresh baked bread and butter topped with slices of cheese.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #164
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
Just remembered another - Queen Anne milk chocolate covered cordial cherries. I could eat an entire box in one sitting.

These ones:
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Wow, I'm reading through these posts thinking, "Yup, I've done that. And that one, and that one....." Nice to know I'm not alone, and I'm so thankful that I haven't binged in 8 months now. I haven't even had the urge, but I know that I'm always one oreo or French fry away from it. I'm afraid that if I even have one, it will ignite a binge and I don't ever want to go there again.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I can binge on most any carb. a package of freezer waffles, table top type pies, giant choc bars, cereal... something even 'healthy cereal', cookies, crackers, raisins but I'd hide the packages... try to replace them without getting caught.
I'd have a nice LC McLunch (Bac cheeseburger, no bun, no catsup, lettuce) but then give in to various ice cream or cookies or both... I had a self-indulgent summer & am now approaching blimp again. I KNOW BETTER but I'm so sugar addicted! I can barely shuffle a few necessary steps... not enough to count as exercise. It's very hard to weight control solely on eating.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I gained about 50 pounds between the ages of 18 and 21. I hit my highest weight of all time at an age when I should have been having fun and looking my best. I ate nothing but garbage after high school, dealing with emotional problems. I became a resident advisor in my junior year of college, and this meant that I got a dorm room to myself. It was at this point that I went completely out of control, because I didn't have to feel ashamed of a roommate seeing what I ate. I would order large pepperoni pizzas from Dominos, and eat the entire pizza in one sitting. I would usually chug a two-liter of regular Coke with the pizza. My biggest snack food love was French onion dip and potato chips. I would eat a large container of dip along with a jumbo bag of chips without stopping. My favorite sweet snack was chocolate candy, usually M&Ms. I would also hit the university's buffet almost daily, which was free with my meal plan, and eat anything and everything. Then I'd head home and eat more junk. Is anyone shocked that I became a type-two diabetic a few years later?

It was always about hiding food for me. When I got older and had apartments with roommates or lived with my parents again for a short while, I would fill my bedroom with junk and eat to my heart's content when I was alone. It was pathetic. I look back at those times, and I'm surprised I didn't get bigger than I did. Of course, I did all the drive-through tricks mentioned in earlier posts. I'd go to the street that had all the fast food places, and hit two or three of them at once, so that I didn't have to order too much at one place.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
my lc binge is low carb beer... after a long week, having a real ice cold one or two or three is great
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I ate plenty but was never an over eater or binger growing up... I went through extreme stress during my devastating first marriage. I had unwanted weight gain the last year (I didn't know enough to quit as it had been over pretty much since it started). The vague symptoms that were later Dxd as MS increased during this time. One could conclude my body was changing.

I don't have the massive binges that some others describe... yet deliberate self sabotage, buying & consuming whole packages & hiding the wrappers. I have yet to clean out my hiding place! Yes, I did that.
Adding a cheat item to a LC lunch... repeatedly.
Buying any cheat item which doesn't make it home or a second Giant candy bar to hide at home.
Hiding it, because it is humiliating.
Being ashamed & embarrassed.

Perhaps not all of mine is 'binging'. Self sabotage it certainly is. An eating disorder, it certainly is. If anyone knows of a name or word for it that I can use to search for ideas, post or better PM me.

Thank You to everyone who has posted. You are among friends here. We are stronger together.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Holy cow....I know this is an old thread, but I just randomly picked a page of posts to read, and this thread was on this page.

I've done all of this and then some. It really helps to know I'm not alone. Thank you FF for starting this thread. I needed to read this right now.
Happycat21 is online now   Reply With Quote