Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, Librarygirl, let us put this in some perspective.

If you had continued doing what you did, you will have reached my current weight of 331.2 (down from a high of 372.6 and a height of 5"6"-tall though for a Ferenghi). So think of it as a 130 lb loss w/o the time needed to accomplish that. Now get going. You WILL do it. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lola29
Stats: 205.5/179.6/155 (5'10")
WOE: Low glycemic / mastering leptin
Start Date: July 9, 2014 - restart
If I bought a package of Oreos I would eat them in 24 hours. A box of After 8's at Xmas would be gone in a sitting. I have a terrible trigger with sugar - it is pretty much all or nothing for me. To this day I can have NO sweets in the house at all.
Lola29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wodkat
Stats: 161/158/132
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: March 1st 2014 (2nd time around)
My binge foods are mainly cookies, white chocolate... things like that, but what really triggers me to binge every time I'm on a diet it bread. I don't know why but I love it so much.

This Summer was the worst, specially because I intended to lose weight and I was going to be home alone for 2 weeks, and I thought, awesome opportunity to lose the weight without my unhealthy family around! The minute they left, I threw away all sugary treats , so there would be no temptation. The next day I bought it all again and even more.

I remember once, living with my brother, I had a big pizza all by myself at night. I also ordered multiple drinks and desserts to make it looks like there were 3 or 4 of us. But I ae it ALL. The next day, my brother say the pizza box and all the wrappers on the garbage and I told him I had had some friends over....

Also one day I had a party, so I bought some party foods and made 2 desserts! Guess what. before the guests arrived, I had eaten both the desserts and a lot of the party food. But the worst part is, my brother knew about the party and saw all the food. He didn't see me eat it. But during the party I was SO SCARED he would let it out, like ask the guests if they liked the cake or the puding.... which they didn't know about because it was all gone... But he didn't, thank god...

I have also bought treats at my college, I would be at the library and I used the vending machine, and then I would want some more and go to the bar, and then I would want some more and go to a caffe off campus. All this so that people wouldn't see me buy food multiple times. I would also hide treats in my bag and then go to the bathroom to devour them...
Wodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #94

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Suzanne
Your success has always intrigued me. Did you have to struggle at all to stop the binging, did zc stop the mental cravings as well? Thanks
All my cravings stopped with zc, but I know other bulimics who did not have this same success. Not sure why it works for some and not others. Now, I did have a set back while caring for my aging father which was very stressful. But, I did not binge, instead I found myself restricting food. That was new to me! I worked with a therapist for that issue and it was resolved very quickly.
However, when I got pregnant, the craving were terrible the entire time. I had one apple and everything fell apart and I was eating candy by the end of two days!
Thankfully, I got it back under control right away. I was able to have vegetables and more dairy when pregnant and it was fine.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/157.8/?
WOE: lc
Thanks Suzanne.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
A frozen yogurt shop opening up 2 blocks away has been the end of me... I always go down there and get the BIGGEST cup they have with just a little bit of froyo and a ton of toppings.. maple walnuts, pound cake, granola, cheescake bites, cookie dough bites, snickers, heath, butterfinger, whipped cream, hot caramel, peanut butter cups, chocolate caramel cups.. this was my last froyo cup.

How do I remember it so well? It was an hour ago, :-)

The kicker here is when you get to the end, stick 2 spoons in it so you look like you're sharing!
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples11 View Post
Me too, Suzanne. I can't tell you how many autumns I have binged on HoneyCrisp apples. Meat is the only thing I don't binge on. No one in my RL seems to understand this; it's why I love this forum and especially this thread. There is so much shame and embarrassment evident in these posts. I see myself in every post, except the Dinty More stew one!
It's hard for me to imagine getting fat bingeing on apples. I guess this is just as strange (for me) as the Dinty Moore Stew, which is also strange. I'm only laughing WITH you, not AT you!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola29 View Post
If I bought a package of Oreos I would eat them in 24 hours. A box of After 8's at Xmas would be gone in a sitting. I have a terrible trigger with sugar - it is pretty much all or nothing for me. To this day I can have NO sweets in the house at all.
Oreos were my kryptonite!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Compaired to some of my binges this wasn't so bad but it is embaresing to need to leave a Thanksgiving dinner so you can eat that 1lb bag of m%m's in about 1/2 hour!
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/157.8/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Compaired to some of my binges this wasn't so bad but it is embaresing to need to leave a Thanksgiving dinner so you can eat that 1lb bag of m%m's in about 1/2 hour!
This behavior is what bothers me the most about binging. I can't count how many times I have been on edge waiting until I can finally be alone to binge. What a waste of life!! I have also skipped family gatherings because I was embarrassed and didn't want anyone to know I had gained weight.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
The secrecy is awful, isn't it? I used to hate that the most.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
the worst is finishing off a meal intended for 2-4 people to share!

done that MANY times! can anyone say "family" style? not.
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
ok all of these sound like me.

I can eat my weight in saltine crackers, chips, etc...
Girl scout thin mint cookies ? I used to hide them under my bed as a kid so no one else would eat them. As an adult, I would order about 10 boxes and eat them frozen.....whole sleeve at a time.
I go from sweet to salty and then back to sweet

Lost 40 lbs and now have gained about 7 back, have been off plan for over a week now.

Glad I'm not alone
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
People will never understand that yes, an apple will set me off. In just hours, I will be binging again. In this world, where fruit is thought of as so healthy, it is hard to explain to people that I really cannot handle it.
OMG, I could have written the same thing.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
This behavior is what bothers me the most about binging. I can't count how many times I have been on edge waiting until I can finally be alone to binge. What a waste of life!! I have also skipped family gatherings because I was embarrassed and didn't want anyone to know I had gained weight.
Jeanie- I can so relate to the part about wanting to be alone to binge. It is sad and I pray this never happens again.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
1 CASE (24PK) RAMEN NOODLES IN 1 DAY
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
My sister used to make TRAYS and TRAYS of homemade buckeyes (chocolate peanut butter fudgy candy) at Christmas. They are very rich and very sweet, but I could eat 10-12 in one sitting.
The Christmas season also brought peppermint stick ice-cream. I would buy 2 or 3 gallons at a time and a couple of big jars of hot fudge sauce. I could eat it 3 times a day until it was gone.
I did this foolishness even AFTER I was diagnosed with diabetes! SOOOOO lucky (blessed!) that I was able to turn it around before I did permanent damage!
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
I think this binging thing must be a modern problem. Too many choices, too convenient to get it. Ever notice you don't hear about pioneer women binging when the west was settled?
I imagine it must have happened on occasion, but the possibility of running out of food for the family before it could be replaced must have been strong motivation not to over eat.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #109

when i will be able to have one occasional off-plan meal

w/o it degenerating into a continuous off-plan episode that lasts for weeks, and even months, then I will have truly learned discipline. i am not yet ready to put that to the test. Of course, i feel no boredom, frustration, or deprive-ity ON PLAN, which is why it is going to work this time! FF
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It's hard for me to imagine getting fat bingeing on apples.
It wasn't that bingeing on apples made me fat ... it was the binge behavior itself that shamed me, and anything sweet (ie apples) will do it. And apples would spiral into all of the other foods that I won't bother detailing here.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I'm curious how you would differentiate between bingeing versus just eating more than the average person.

Eating 2-4 servings of takeout or a dinner food, or 3 sandwiches, doesn't strike me as a binge. When I read these posts, the first thing that crosses my mind is that if you are significantly larger than the average person, of course your body would demand more food in order to maintain itself, even if it isn't socially acceptable to eat that much in front of others and you have find ways of eating it in private. That is, it seems like a normal physiological response, not a defective behaviour.

Or, eating a bag of chips seems unwise and unhealthy but I'm not sure if I would mentally categorize that as a binge since chips are not very satiating and it is easy for people to do that without paying attention.

On the other hand, eating an entire cake regularly; or 15,000 calories in one day, does seem like a binge.

So, what would you say the dividing line is between eating more than average versus bingeing? Would you say it is the need for secrecy? Impacting other aspects of your life? Eating to the point of pain or discomfort? Inability to stop?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
So, what would you say the dividing line is between eating more than average versus bingeing? Would you say it is the need for secrecy? Impacting other aspects of your life? Eating to the point of pain or discomfort? Inability to stop?
Yes, any and all of those things.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I know I have come so far, but have so far to go. I know this because when we went to Cracker Barrel for Thaksgiving, and we were waiting in the gift shop, I was eyeing the foods that I know I cannot eat. I was thinking about how I could justify buying them. I was thinking bout how I'd make it look like a gift basket, and then go home and eat the entire thing. They were just idle thoughts, the same ones I would have followed through with a year ago. But the thoughts were there, still.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #114

also, it is the kind of "food" on which we binge.

i put "food" in quotes, because food is what should nourish us. the empty calories that we suck in does not nourish us, but sucks out all the vitamins and good stuff floating around inside of us, thus sapping us of our strength and health, making saps of us. Ergo, it is not food at all. I never heard of anyone binging on hard boiled eggs, or chicken parts etc. unless it is part of a contest. FF
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I never heard of anyone binging on hard boiled eggs, or chicken parts etc. unless it is part of a contest. FF
Agreed ... meat and eggs are about the only thing I don't binge on, so I consider them to be safe foods!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 256/240/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8th December 2015
It's so refreshing to hear I'm not the only one! Of course, I always knew I wasn't but this isn't the sort of thing one openly admits. I would hide eating from my family, my partner, my friends. I have done most of these things - gone through McDonald's drive through, ordering two sets of meals complete with drinks. Sometimes I would even sit there and say 'oh what drink did he want again?' just to make the act seem more convincing. So shameful! And yes I have put away full pints of Ben & Jerry's and eaten up to about ten toffee crisp chocolate bars in one sitting. One of the worst things I have done is bought a family size caramel shortbread and eaten almost the whole tray in one sitting. There must have been close to 5000 calories in that and I felt so ill afterwards yet I couldn't stop. Ugh it really does sicken me now, I have been binge free for 3 weeks and I have lost 24 pounds and intend to keep going for a good while yet!
16 pounds down
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:

I think most importantly, it is the loss of control.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Quote:
I'm curious how you would differentiate between bingeing versus just eating more than the average person.

That is the trigger, we do do this behavior once, it is repeated over and over daily or sometimes more than once a day. For example 2-3 sandwiches with a large bag of chips - once in a while ok? but repeated over and over again - that's where the problem lies.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Baby View Post
I have been binge free for 3 weeks and I have lost 24 pounds and intend to keep going for a good while yet!
Amber, congratulations! That is fantastic.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
One package = one serving of anything, at all times, right?

At least, that's my issue. With anything. Ever. Still.
When I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight by limiting calories but not carbs, I followed the rule that I would never buy anything that went over 500 calories if you ate the whole package, because I was so likely to eat the whole thing. I no longer follow that rule but am careful to measure out portions of calorie dense food before eating or to divide a bigger package (say, of nuts) into smaller portions in baggies.

From what I've read, it's very common for people to follow the "eat whatever is in the package" rule, according to experiments about food consumption, so you certainly weren't alone in your practice.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote