Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammy4262
Stats: 355/355/180
WOE: high protein/low Carb
Start Date: Nov 17 2012
Thank you for sharing I have done this all . I have got to change the way I eat NO ONE can but me I can do this. I eat when Iam sad Happy lonely Board I just eat cause I can.
tammy4262 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Reading through this thread and reflecting on my own former habits, it's strikes me as how expensive our little secret pig outs can be. My grocery bills have gone down since making the changes. Bonus!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
Reading through this thread and reflecting on my own former habits, it's strikes me as how expensive our little secret pig outs can be. My grocery bills have gone down since making the changes. Bonus!
This. There were some darker years in my early to almost late 20s where I had alternating periods between uncontrollable drinking fests followed by nonstop fast food and carb binging and then drinking fests some more, and I had to cut back on even necessities for the month until the paycheck came. I feel so fortunate to have gotten out of those horrible cycles.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Good point, the COST of all that junk food can be ridiculous. I could have a delicious, healthy, satisfying full course meal at a steak house for the cost of a few pints of icecream and big fast food runs. The steakhouse is infinitely more worth it, for the waist AND the wallet
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luckyme
Stats: 262/253/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/5/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
Garden of Eatin' Red Hot Blues. Little Debbie Nutty Bars. Chubby Hubby Ice Cream. Put any of those items in front of me and I will eat the whole package. Even now. This is why I have a grocery delivery once a week and strict rule forbidding visits to the conveninece store.
OMG!!! Chubby Hubby ice cream is my all time favorite! I could easily eat the whole pint at once! Luckily, they don't sell it around my way and I haven't had it in years!
luckyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
When you binged in the amounts I did, you did it on the dollar menu!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
Aah, binging. I know it well. My first memory of binging was when I was a teenager. I had been doing low carb and had lost 50lbs. At this point I was 120-something lbs and I came home from school to find a box of assorted chocolates in the fridge. I ate one. Then another. Then another. Next thing you know this huge box of chocolates is gone.

Fast forward to me at 21 and being pregnant. Oh man. Me, my husband and his brother would each get our own hot-and-ready from Little Caesar's and I would eat mine in one sitting. One time we bought cookie dough and made huge cookies, and put ice cream and hot fudge on them. It was amazing, lol. And this happened at least twice a week. Even the night I went into labor I had binged on homemade Mexican food. We joked that burritos make you go into labor. lol. After I had the baby I started low carb again and managed to lose over 60lbs...

Although I have been working on losing weight for close to 2 years, I have had binge days. A couple months ago me and hubby bought Chinese take out, and then bought boxes of cereal, cookies, chips, you name it, and ate it all day. Heck, not even 3 weeks ago I bought a small carrot cake and ate it all myself in one night. Then I had a whole container of cookie dough ice cream (my weakness) I think I will always have a problem with binging no matter how low carb I eat. I still want to do it....sigh. No wonder I can't lose this last 25 lbs
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #68

My husband is not a binger. I cannot imagine sharing a binge with someone, mine was always a isolated activity. All done in secret. I am suprised how many couples binge together.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
Start Date: 8/1/2011
My biggest was brownies. I'd make a pan and eat one. Go to bed. Lay in bed and think about them. By morning they would be gone. I could not sleep knowing they were in the house. It wasn't bad when I was single because no one knew. Once I got married I was so embarrassed. I will not ever buy brownie mix again. It may cause me to go off plan.

I went through the drive thru once and then wanted more. I drove to the next town over because I was too embarrassed to go back and order the same thing again.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I avoided reading this thread because I thought it might make me crave a binge, but here I am. I actually sometimes get nostalgic about eating that stuff and that much. It's interesting that everyone has very specific binge foods that they would eat.

I stopped binging a while ago. The longer I was LC the less and less I binged and I restricted myself to LC foods for binging which kind of took away the fun.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TrueTrue
WOE: Clean eating!
Wow, thanks to all who have shared their stories. For those of you who have stopped the binge eating patterns, how did you do it? What helped you break that cycle?
TrueTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrue View Post
Wow, thanks to all who have shared their stories. For those of you who have stopped the binge eating patterns, how did you do it? What helped you break that cycle?
High fat (and very low carb) finally kiiled the desire for sweets and starches for me. However, I'm realistic enough to know that it could happen again. Every day, every meal, every bite is a choice to be fat or thin. I remind myself of that every time I'm tempted even a little bit. It helps me a lot.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #73

Gallery: flatferenghi
in my case it was the additional fiber i took in

when i upped my salads and veggies. It really satisfies me, and I can wait easily w/o my tongue hanging out, till the next meal. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeth
Stats: 320/166.5/140
WOE: Atkins/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Jan. 19, 2008
Thank you FF for starting this thread, and for everyone who's posted. I haven't been spending much time at LCF lately, but reading what you've shared, I remember why I used to be here alot...and why I need to be here alot again.
IRL we're probably surrounded by people who binge, but who shares this kind of deep information? Reading tonight I'm reminded that I am here with like-minded people, people who understand the embarrassment and shame and costs (financial, emotional, social) of our binging behavior.

Last spring I changed up my WOE and basically eliminated binges. But last week I tried to make up for much of it, and it took a week (til this past Wednesday) to finally break out of
the cycle of feel bad-->eat bad-->feel empty-->eat more.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #75

i hope this thread has made us see ourselves...

and do something constructive about it, if we have not yet done so. However, once I am gone, the deal is over. I left instructions with the legal people, to spill all my fave binge foods all over me, in my interment phase. You CAN take it with you!!! FF
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Well since we are all sharing......the Hostess Cupcake Company might not be going out of business if I had still been purchasing their products instead of doing low carb for the past 5 years!!!! I LOVE the Hostess Cupcakes, Twinkies and Snowballs.....I would buy all three, eat them on the way home from work, toss the wrappers in the park garbage and go on my merry way...McDonalds was another of my favs, two value meals and apple pies, they are two for a dollar don't ya know.....and I was a happy camper. Know one knew I did this, and even now as I type this, I am still ashamed I did that! WTH is wrong with me??? Now I want a twinkie!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #77

there was something about that squiggle on top of

the Hostess cupcake, that made it my fave Hostess product. But my all time FRANKENFOOD as a kid, was the Drake's Ring Ding, not the Jr ones they have today, but the larger one, which I have not seen in decades. One large gave me more satisfaction than a whole box of juniors. LOVED THE DRAKE! FF
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Well I guess I'll share my binge since it's on page 3 now lol.
Heavenly Hash Ice Cream, I would buy 2 half gallons, hide one in the back of the freezer and keep one out front, I would eat the first half gallon, usually within 2 days and pull the other one out so nobody would know it was gone.
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #79

My desire to binge ended when I started Atkins. I think it was the high fat that did it, but I am not sure. I added fruit when I was pregnant and that was a disaster. I will just never be able to eat a lot of foods without wanting to binge. I had to accept my food reality. Cheeseburgers are good, apples are very bad! LOL
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 130s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Me too, Suzanne. I can't tell you how many autumns I have binged on HoneyCrisp apples. Meat is the only thing I don't binge on. No one in my RL seems to understand this; it's why I love this forum and especially this thread. There is so much shame and embarrassment evident in these posts. I see myself in every post, except the Dinty More stew one!
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/130.4/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I can think of one that I was particularly embarrased about. The day before my rehearsal dinner for my wedding I bought a really nice box of chocolates to put out with the dessert. I could not concentrate on anything because I kept thinking about the chocolate. I kept saying to myself that was stupid, nobody will like them. I ended up eating the whole box. On my wedding day I was REALLLLLY nervous because I thought my dress wouldn't fit because of the chocolate. That was really the one thing I was nervous about. I dieted for a year to get to 126 lbs and I figured I gained 5 back with the chocolate!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #82

People will never understand that yes, an apple will set me off. In just hours, I will be binging again. In this world, where fruit is thought of as so healthy, it is hard to explain to people that I really cannot handle it.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #83

fruit is one of my MOST virulent trigger foods.

i had cautiously added a little back. if i had an apple, i would eat only 1/3 of it at a time. (but it was good!!!). I temporarily backed off from fruit. I will get some for TG weekend, though. FF
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/131/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Okay, I'll fess.......... My binges always involve chocolate, and it was as recent as August that I fell off the wagon.

It was my son's 30th birthday and he asked me to bake him his favorite Heavenly Chocolate cake. I've been making it for him every year since he could remember. For some unknown reason - maybe I subconsciously sabotaged the baking process - the layers totally fell apart when I tried to removed them from the pans. I had "lumps" of chocolate cake all over the countertop. I stood and stared at that cake for about 5 minutes, then decided that it was too good to waste. I went upstairs and woke my daughter who is also a low carber, and asked her if she wanted to share in my good fortune. Of course she said yes, and the two of us stood in the kitchen with stupid grins on our faces devouring a crumbling chocolate cake!!!!

I guess the thing I felt the worst about was dragging my daughter into my binge..........
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: redqueen
Stats: 261/238/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 10/1/11
If I wanted to order double at the drive thru, when I arrived at the pick-up window, I would just be "talking" on my cell phone checking with the person on the other end that I got what they wanted. Yikes!
redqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Wow! After reading these stories I must confess that I am truly an amateur binger!
But I do qualify thank you very much. I have done this twice.
Huge piles of linguine with clam sauce, eaten so fast that the pasta balls up in my esophagus and just sits there causing pain and panic (the first time).
Had to induce vomiting to clear the passage.
Can't believe that I actually did this twice.
Question....If you know your eating problem is due to addiction...have you tried the 12 step eating program Overeaters Anonymous?
Similar programs have worked for alcoholics and drug addicts, maybe they could work for food addicts as well
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Trust me, the Dinty Moore incident was weird, even for me while I was doing it!

It always makes me think of the story Oprah told about having nothing in her house to binge on except a pack of frozen hot dog rolls and chocolate syrup. So she poured the syrup over the frozen rolls and ate them.

I can relate!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/149/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
My desire to binge ended when I started Atkins. I think it was the high fat that did it, but I am not sure. I added fruit when I was pregnant and that was a disaster. I will just never be able to eat a lot of foods without wanting to binge. I had to accept my food reality. Cheeseburgers are good, apples are very bad! LOL
Suzanne
Your success has always intrigued me. Did you have to struggle at all to stop the binging, did zc stop the mental cravings as well? Thanks
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
When my dh was away for work, I would stop at the supermarket on the way home from the airport and "stock up". Chocolate, M&M peanuts, popcorn, cheese & onion crisps, nachos (including all the ingredients for a completely decadent 7 layer dip full of meat, refried beans, cheeses, avocado, creme fraiche, etc), BBQ chicken wings, potatoes (with lashings of cream and butter to add), sausages, black pudding, and - if it was a shop that stocked American stuff - a box cake mix and tub of icing, choc chip biccies mix, and brownie mix. Sometimes I'd also add loads of peanuts and Lyle's syrup to make a sort of toffee/brittle.

Then I would eat pretty much nonstop until he came home, and of course hide the evidence. Oh yeah, add a half bottle of wine each night on top of that. Now when he isn't home I go to bed very, very early with my laptop and television.

I miss food. (Yes, there are loads of great LC foods but my calorie limit is too low to enjoy "enough" of them.)

Last edited by cammie; 11-18-2012 at 09:17 AM..
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I never really binged. I just gave up on myself through depression and then medication which seemed to make me pack on the lbs faster than ever. The strange continuing weight gain was so frustrating and embarrassing that I just said the hell with it and ate whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it and didn't even attempt to control calories/carbs or anything for years. 70 lbs later, here I am.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote