Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Julian Bakery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/788681-julian-bakery.html)

natural_born_texan 11-07-2012 09:38 AM

Julian Bakery

Has anyone tried the low-carb bread from Julian Bakery? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

wkupharm 11-07-2012 10:19 AM

Before you decide to purchase this stuff, google "jimmy moore julian bakery."

natural_born_texan 11-07-2012 10:25 AM

Uh, oh, that doesn't sound like it's gonna be good. :/

I already ordered, so maybe I should have posted this question a week ago.

drjlocarb 11-07-2012 10:42 AM

It seems they lie and it has more carbs than they are willing to publish on their labels.

MsWoods 11-07-2012 11:02 AM

I've had it and it's delicious. This was before I found out all the bad info on them. I won't buy it again.

BABSY 11-07-2012 11:08 AM

I tried the zero carb and it is too hard for me. I have been meaning to try the others that they have. They now have them in certain stores.

RDeschain927 11-07-2012 02:01 PM

I've had a few loaves of the Zero Carb bread during phase 1 of SBD. I lost over 10 pounds in two weeks while eating the bread every day.

It tasted pretty awful.

From what I've read, weight loss is still possible (Jimmy Moore also lost weight while eating the bread). But diabetics should be wary.

MsWoods 11-07-2012 04:01 PM

I actually liked the bread. It was very dense. The rasin bread was really good.

CindyCRNA 11-07-2012 04:10 PM

I like it a lot toasted but not so much un-toasted. Lots of fiber.....LOTS!

BABSY 11-07-2012 04:28 PM

Well, you have to either like hard for puttin things on top or soft, so you can grill in a pan with lots of butter, like I like to do.

picklepete 11-07-2012 05:08 PM

The coconut "paleo" bread is pretty soft and tasty. I can't really say if the nutrition info is accurate since I eat it infrequently, but no bad experiences. As a rule I don't trust any low-carb wheat product, however.

babycakez 11-07-2012 05:51 PM

I only liked it toasted or when made into a grilled cheese sandwhich. I still lost while eating them but that was the first month I started LC so I was losing at a fast and steady pace already. I have not ordered them since I heard about their misleading labels.

lterry913 11-08-2012 08:41 AM

I tried the 1 carb almond and it was awful...like eating saw dust. But I did not order from the bakery I so got it frozen at a store I don't know if that was the problem. I may try the coconut at some point in time. But after the almond I am in no hurry.

MsWoods 11-08-2012 11:13 AM

I just went through some of the Julian Bakery breads, they are different breads than when I tried them, and some of them seem believeable, such as the Gluten Free Paleo Almond Bread. The only ingredients are:Ingredients: Purified Water, Blanched Almond Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda. That seems pure enough to me:dunno:

100cal/slice, 5g carbs, 4g fiber, 1g net carb.

I looked up Julian Bakery again because I know one of my local natural grocer stores carries it.

Julian Bakery Carb Zero Plain Bread Gluten Free:Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Gluten Free Oat Fiber, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.

59 calories, 9g carbs, 9g fiber.

It just seems more plausable that other breads that have gluten in them.

lterry913 11-08-2012 12:59 PM

As I stated above the almond bread is very dense and doesn't taste very good IMO others may like...Pete states that the coconut is lighter in texture.

picklepete 11-08-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16066728)
As I stated above the almond bread is very dense and doesn't taste very good IMO others may like...Pete states that the coconut is lighter in texture.

Yeah, I bought one loaf of each originally. The almond is pretty dry and bland--the coconut is much better.

lterry913 11-09-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16067229)
Yeah, I bought one loaf of each originally. The almond is pretty dry and bland--the coconut is much better.

Thanks for letting us know that...At least I know that someone has compared the two.

LowCarbRachel 11-09-2012 09:27 AM

I tried their Paleo Bread and 0 Carb bread and couldn't stand either one of them. A total waste of money. Bad taste and bad texture, ugh.

babycakez 11-11-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16066515)
I just went through some of the Julian Bakery breads, they are different breads than when I tried them, and some of them seem believeable, such as the Gluten Free Paleo Almond Bread. The only ingredients are:Ingredients: Purified Water, Blanched Almond Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda. That seems pure enough to me:dunno:

100cal/slice, 5g carbs, 4g fiber, 1g net carb.

I looked up Julian Bakery again because I know one of my local natural grocer stores carries it.

Julian Bakery Carb Zero Plain Bread Gluten Free:Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Gluten Free Oat Fiber, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.

59 calories, 9g carbs, 9g fiber.

It just seems more plausable that other breads that have gluten in them.

Good to know. My mom is planning to use the zero carb bread in place of the bread in the stuffing for thanksgiving. We shall see how it turns out.

lterry913 11-12-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babycakez (Post 16072997)
Good to know. My mom is planning to use the zero carb bread in place of the bread in the stuffing for thanksgiving. We shall see how it turns out.

She may need a lot of extra liquid...the bread was dense and dry.

Magicsmom 11-12-2012 02:17 PM

I didn't like it. Too dry and it cost me a fortune. Not going there again.

LowCarbRachel 11-12-2012 02:30 PM

I need to add that the 0 Carb bread had a really bad smell, too. Ugh. I really wanted to like it!

RDeschain927 11-13-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babycakez (Post 16072997)

This is just my opinion but while I lost weight eating the zero carb bread, it tasted nasty.

babycakez 11-15-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDeschain927 (Post 16076942)
This is just my opinion but while I lost weight eating the zero carb bread, it tasted nasty.

I personally don't have a problem with it. I do prefer it toasted though.

MsWoods 11-16-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babycakez (Post 16081887)
I personally don't have a problem with it. I do prefer it toasted though.

I think the problem is that a lot of people are looking for something to taste exactly like our old high carb bread. It's just not going to. But after you low carb for so long, your taste buds change, and you learn to accept food for what it is.

I agree, I always toasted their bread.

Spark 11-16-2012 01:25 PM

I LOVED Julian's Bakery bread. It was dense but I liked that because it felt like I was eating something good for me. In fact, I realllly miss having the stuff around. I didn't eat it everyday (at that price, I couldn't afford to). BUT it was in the freezer and even if I ate an entire loaf in a week, it still was cheaper than all the junk I used to eat. The bread is one of my favorite low carb luxury buys. :D

Spark 11-16-2012 01:26 PM

Oh yeah and try it with bacon, avocado slices, mayo, lettuce and tomato. yeah, I'm ordering more.

Mysstwalker 11-16-2012 08:12 PM

The coconut paleo bread is my fave, it made some amazing cheezy garlic bread sticks to go with my ricotta bake.

lil miss 11-18-2012 04:01 PM

I tried the zero carb and I SWEAR it tasted like BLEACH.

Was majorly disappointed.

Spark 11-19-2012 07:32 AM

After reading this thread, I went to the health food store a couple of towns over and picked up two loafs. I must have gotten the wrong kind or it changed or something. I was soooo excited to have a sandwich. I got home ran to the kitchen and made one...and it was awful. I bought the zero carb bread. The bread I bought before tasted nothing like that. Now I'm scared to purchase another loaf because I can't remember which one I originally bought!!! GRRRRRRRR