Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
After reading this thread, I went to the health food store a couple of towns over and picked up two loafs. I must have gotten the wrong kind or it changed or something. I was soooo excited to have a sandwich. I got home ran to the kitchen and made one...and it was awful. I bought the zero carb bread. The bread I bought before tasted nothing like that. Now I'm scared to purchase another loaf because I can't remember which one I originally bought!!! GRRRRRRRR
Yep, you obviously got the bread we are talking about...I think they may have a different version but a lot of places aren't carrying it anymore due to nutrition label not being correct.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
The one I tried and am thinking about is the smart carb #1 bread that has 3 grams per slice. That one was good to me. My mom bought the zero carb one, the coconut one and the almond one. I am scared to try them now.
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I think the problem is that a lot of people are looking for something to taste exactly like our old high carb bread. It's just not going to. But after you low carb for so long, your taste buds change, and you learn to accept food for what it is.

I agree, I always toasted their bread.
I actually went in with realistic expectations and I always toasted the bread otherwise it wasn't edible IMO.

The only times the Julian zero carb bread was decent to me was when I toasted it first, topped it with pizza sauce, mozz cheese and pepperoni and then toasted again.

Otherwise....i disliked it immensely.

But to each his own.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
They are different...good luck:/
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #35
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Tastes like Cardboard! However, the sourdough is palatable
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spark
Stats: 247/240/142
WOE: Low Carb & Nutritional Supplements
Start Date: 11/11/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakez View Post
The one I tried and am thinking about is the smart carb #1 bread that has 3 grams per slice. That one was good to me. My mom bought the zero carb one, the coconut one and the almond one. I am scared to try them now.
I think that's the original one I bought too. I actually craved that bread. LOL I would have eaten it whether I was doing low carb or not.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
I never tried the Smart Carb, but just opened the Paleo coconut loaf. I like it! I miss being able to just have a sandwich so I don't have to cook something, so this fits the bill. No it doesn't taste like high carb bread, but I wasn't expecting it to.

I can't WAIT to have a BLT with fresh tomatoes!!! But until that time, I'll enjoy an organic turkey, provo sammich! Yum!
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
I have to admit, even knowing that their information might not be accurate - I bought the coconut and love it (it does smell a bit awkward). I do limit my consumption, though (for trust and for price!!).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I have been keepin smart carb #1 and #2 around as a staple for a while. They are dense and drier than normal breads, but for the carbs (supposed) I haven't found anything better out there...

The only other bread comparable is Weight Watchers which make a loaf that has either 10 or 12 net carbs for 2 slices, it tastes good BUT its loaded with chemicals and ingredients.

Unfortunately, it seems they have changed their formula for smart carb #1, and it now seems really rubbery and fennelly in taste the older recipe was better. I haven't tried the "new" smartcarb #2 yet. On the bright side, it seems they have a lot of new flavors which I will try...

Of course for sandwhiches and pizzas you can always use josephs low carb pitas and Lavash Bread for only 4 net carbs per decent serving size! It is also cheaper than Julians breads.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
It's basicly a scam carbs are not very low........think about it unless you make it out of something other than grain flour it will have carbs....alot of them
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Well, this is what they're claiming (on the Paleo Coconut):
Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
i just ran across Julian bakery website yesterday, and thought of ordering, as there is no store tha t sells it in my area within a hundred miles....it looked good, but after reading the comments here, don't think so, and quite expensive...i will just stick with my oopsie rolls.....glad i came across this before i ordered.....
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Has anyone tried JULIAN BAKERY???
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

But that thread was back in 2010, that would not be correct for the Paleo breads which are new aren't they?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I just looked on the Julian Bakery website and its says they have reformulated their Smart Carb #1 and Smart Carb #2 (cinnamon raisin) breads. It says they have only 4-5 g total carbs/slice (3-4 g net carbs). Big splashy picture saying you can stay in ketosis with this bread. Personally I avoid all grains but I have tried their coconut flour Paelo bread. None of the ingredients in it are objectionable to me, so one slice every week or two works for me. I don't crave it, but it is nice to have with butter and Walden Farms jam sometimes.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #46
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
OK, this thread has made me want to try their coconut bread! I hadn't been to their site in a year or so and I didn't realize they had this. I really like their 12 grain. It is dark and molasses-y!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

I'm attempting to make stuffing with the almond loaf I got...I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Well...I loved it! I took about a half a loaf of the Paleo almond, and cubed it up. I put the cubes in a gallon baggie with EVOO, salt, pepper, and sage. Layed them all out on a cookie sheet and toasted them for about 1/2 to 3/4 an hour. Then I made the stuffing like I usually would . Onion, celery, sage, baby bella mushrooms, giblets, butter, salt, and pepper. I baked it with the lid on because it didn't break up like regular bread cubes.

It was tasty!!! It was a bit different as you can imagine, but still better than no stuffing at all which I missed on holiday meals. I roasted a turkey today. So I'll be doing this again. I may run the cubes thru a food processor next time to get more smaller pieces since it doesn't fall apart.

Yum!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #49
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post
Well...I loved it! I took about a half a loaf of the Paleo almond, and cubed it up. I put the cubes in a gallon baggie with EVOO, salt, pepper, and sage. Layed them all out on a cookie sheet and toasted them for about 1/2 to 3/4 an hour. Then I made the stuffing like I usually would . Onion, celery, sage, baby bella mushrooms, giblets, butter, salt, and pepper. I baked it with the lid on because it didn't break up like regular bread cubes.

It was tasty!!! It was a bit different as you can imagine, but still better than no stuffing at all which I missed on holiday meals. I roasted a turkey today. So I'll be doing this again. I may run the cubes thru a food processor next time to get more smaller pieces since it doesn't fall apart.

Yum!!!

So glad it turned out! I am ordering their coconut bread ,12-grain and sourdough. I have not had the coconut bread before but worth a try. Their sourdough is relatively LC but the 12 grain is not but is fabulous toasted!!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

The coconut is good! That was the first one I tried.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post

Yum!!!
Great idea, glad it turned out! DS (age 10) loves stuffing and I really need to work on getting him to eat lower carb as well. Might be a good side dish for me to try with him.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ldudish
Stats: 246/218/180
Start Date: 9/1/11
I was so excited when I heard about Julian Bakery! I ordered 4 different loaves from them, the only one we tried is the cinnamon raisin. OMG, it was horrible! It was like eating toasted foam rubber. Ended up going out to the birds and I'm not srue they like it! I know that Diane Kress warns against using any other than the Paleo coconut & almond, that the ingredients do not add up to the claims being made with the carb count, so the rest of them are going to the birds as well.
ldudish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #53

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Funny, I bought a loaf yesterday of the Carb Smart.. 4 grams per slice.
I am pregnant and have gestational diabetes, I have to check my blood sugar after each meal.
All my numbers yesterday were around 115-120, for breakfast and lunch which were totally 100% low carb. For dinner I used 1 slice of this bread, topped with mozz and bacon. An hour later my blood sugar was 104! The best it's been all day! It did no negatively effect my blood sugar at all.
The bread was dense, but grilled up with with cheese and sauce it was doable.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #54
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
I am pregnant and have gestational diabetes, I have to check my blood sugar after each meal.
All my numbers yesterday were around 115-120, for breakfast and lunch which were totally 100% low carb. For dinner I used 1 slice of this bread, topped with mozz and bacon. An hour later my blood sugar was 104! The best it's been all day! It did no negatively effect my blood sugar at all.
I think the high fiber helps too!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
That's good news, it sounds like their new label is likely accurate. I looked at the store for more coconut paleo bread the other day and they didn't have it, only the almond paleo and carb smart #1 and #2. Might have to try one of the others given your results.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
MUCH better and MUCH cheaper than Julian!

I've posted this info a few times. I tried Julian Bakery .. meh. I discovered Sami's Bakery in Tampa, Florida a couple of years ago. They sell several low carb products.

It is TONS better tasting and MUCH cheaper than Julian. Their 7 grain bread has 2 net carbs, cinnamon raisin is 3 net carbs ($4.50 each). They also sell good bagels and dinner rolls. I don't recommend their pizza shell. And, I haven't tried other products. I order this bread about once a month. It ships and delivers in two days for around $14.00.

You can order online or by phone, but I had a shipping problem once several months ago so now I always order by phone.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #57

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Every once in a while I get it in my head that I can handle Julian Bakery bread and every single time it send me into an awful binge. That stuff sets of craving in me way worse than regular old white bread. I have finally sworn it off forever.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #58
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I looked at the sami's site and I'm not convinced it's any better than julian on the correctness of the carb counts.
Looking at their low-carb lavash shows 11g carbs, 10g fiber for 1/2 a lavash but they list whole wheat flour as the first ingredient and include rolled oats. Unless they're using less than 1/2tsp of each, that net count can't be 1g carbs. (sorry, skeptic that I am, it looks like the same funny math on labels that JB was doing, IMO).
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dangerkitteey
Stats: This time 216 (all time high 235)/186/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12/26/13 for my third go-round
Just had to share, I went to Whole Foods today and found their Paleo Almond Bread and the Carb Zero ($10.99 a loaf, yeesh!). Bagged everything up in ziplocks, two slices in each bag. I just tried the Paleo Bread, and I was decent. Very dense, for sure, and it wierdly didn't want to accept the butter I slathered on, but like I said, decent. It's no Wonder Bread, but I think it will be ok for a sandwich maybe once a week. I'll try the Carb Zero soon. If I decide to buy again, I'll order online ($7.99 a loaf, i believe) and go for the 6 loaf deal and split with my gluten-free friend. I hope to try the coconut paleo bread soon.
dangerkitteey is offline   Reply With Quote