Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Question about fat bombs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/788192-question-about-fat-bombs.html)

natural_born_texan 11-01-2012 09:05 AM

Question about fat bombs
 
I have heard about these and their recipe variations, but can someone tell me what is the benefit of eating them? I'm still learning my way around the low carb lifestyle and I want to try them, but am still alittle paranoid about fat.

Thanks in advance for any help that yall have.

Arctic_Mama 11-01-2012 09:18 AM

My best advice is to not be paranoid about fat. When you are taking carbs out of the diet, what are those calories being replaced with? We have two options - fat or protein. Protein is not only self-limiting, but has an impact on insulin levels to a fair degree (not as much as carbohydrate, thought,). Fat, on the other hand, is very metabolically neutral, and provokes an insulin response only in that you're eating, so the body is processing food. But it is by far the safest thing to eat if blood sugar control and fat storage are your concerns.

I find the fat bombs satiating, as fat signals leptin strongly and curs my hunger more quickly than the same calories from another type of food. They also satisfy my sweet tooth, and make an easy snack when I have to run out the door. For easily getting my fat ratios up so I don't over consume protein, fat bombs and other such recipes are a nice, tasty tool.

LiterateGriffin 11-01-2012 09:20 AM

The benefit is, on low-carb, FAT should be your primary source of energy.

Most of the time, it's a lot easier to get a package of protein or package of carbs, than a package of FAT.

Fat-bombs are pretty much pure fat, in a convenient, bite-sized package.

Whether you're looking for extra fat to fight a craving, as extra energy, or to break out of a stall, they're a convenient (and palatable) way to get it.

SeaMaiden 11-01-2012 10:02 AM

Try to remember fat does NOT make you fat. Sugar/Carbs do... We've been "fed" a bunch of low-fat lies since the early 80's... Try to realize fat is your friend! :)

rubidoux 11-01-2012 10:06 AM

I have a hard time eating really fatty foods. I have tried to do things like not drain the fat off my hamburger, but then I don't enjoy eating it and it makes me feel a little nauseous. So for me, fat bombs are a much more palatable way to get it down. I think there's something about it being frozen that makes it nicer to eat, and actually they're pretty yummy. They are super satisfying, too. Like I could eat two fat bombs for a total of 300 calories and be good to go for hours, most of the day.

mom23kids 11-01-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaMaiden (Post 16051717)
Try to remember fat does NOT make you fat. Sugar/Carbs do... We've been "fed" a bunch of low-fat lies since the early 80's... Try to realize fat is your friend! :)

Yes, this!

Also for me, fat bombs take care of my sugar cravings (which always happen at night). I can eat a couple of them before bed and see progress on the scale the next morning :)

ravenrose 11-01-2012 10:42 AM

if you lose well on normal low carb, you don't need to worry about fat bombs. some of us do NOT lose well on low carb/restricted calories unless we restrict protein as well. fat bombs are a way to try to force such a high fat content in the diet. it won't help you lose faster if you are already losing.

readyfredy 11-02-2012 06:24 PM

Wow - I made some tonight. Used salted butter and added some cayenne pepper for a little kick. SO GOOD!

I used 5 tbs peanut butter, 2 tbs cocoa, a few tablespoons of cream, grassfed butter stick and 1/2 cup of coconut oil. I made 21 so by my count they are less than 1 carb each!

princessmommy 11-02-2012 07:37 PM

I got the makings for FB today and can't wait to try them!

spoiltmomof2 11-03-2012 07:12 PM

I'm wanting to make these also. Just have to find the time.

princessmommy 11-03-2012 08:49 PM

I made them today and used coconut oil instead of coconut butter and they are wonderful! Pretty addicting though so i'll Have to make sure I don't eat to many in a day Lol. Very nice treat!

tina1973 11-04-2012 09:00 AM

I want to make them, I'm just not sure which recipe to use. There are like 100 recipes out there! lmao

lterry913 11-04-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmommy (Post 16057159)
I made them today and used coconut oil instead of coconut butter and they are wonderful! Pretty addicting though so i'll Have to make sure I don't eat to many in a day Lol. Very nice treat!

Take it easy on the coconut oil...you have to ease into it...it can cause nausea and diarrhea. most people start slowly and build up to an equivalent of about 3 tbsp a day. Making it into bombs is a good way to dilute the coconut oil, but if you eat too many don't say I didn't warn you lol.

lorepp 11-04-2012 11:30 AM

Can I get a recipe for fat bombs somewhere?

princessmommy 11-04-2012 11:41 AM

Iterry I wish it'd have that effect on me! The bathroom part anyway Lol I did get very nacous last night so maybe that's why?
loreep you can Search for the recipe on lcf Or google low carb fat bombs and find it

thimblecricket 04-06-2013 04:32 PM

I just gorged myself on these. I made minis and ate about..five.

Why isn't my leptin shooting up and curbing this? AGH!

My carbs have been super low as I've been eating mainly meat and eggs. What will this fat overdose do? What will happen now? What have I done?

Bobbin 04-06-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thimblecricket (Post 16358593)
I just gorged myself on these. I made minis and ate about..five.

Why isn't my leptin shooting up and curbing this? AGH!

My carbs have been super low as I've been eating mainly meat and eggs. What will this fat overdose do? What will happen now? What have I done?

I bet you'll be fine, lol. You'll probably have a good poop and high calorie count. :lol: Edit to add neither of which is a bad thing.

Mistizoom 04-06-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thimblecricket (Post 16358593)
I just gorged myself on these. I made minis and ate about..five.

Why isn't my leptin shooting up and curbing this? AGH!

My carbs have been super low as I've been eating mainly meat and eggs. What will this fat overdose do? What will happen now? What have I done?

I agree, nothing will happen. If you're hungry you are better off eating fat bombs than a lot of other things.

nolcjunk 04-06-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbin (Post 16358601)
I bet you'll be fine, lol. You'll probably have a good poop and high calorie count. :lol: Edit to add neither of which is a bad thing.

I tend to think the opposite, there are consequences. Any food that leads to gorging should not be eaten because that is not healthy food behavior.

kiwistars 04-06-2013 06:06 PM

i think it is because we spend years being told if it is fatty and tastes good it is 'bad','junky' etc.

I say have all you like.
Wait a bit.
Realise you aren't all fatter and feeling sick.
Try again and see if you can leave it at a sensible portion.
If you can't THEN maybe think you have a problem with them.
Sometimes the body just needs to try something before it learns what the head knows.
I gorged on the first batch but this last batch I found some left in the freezer I forgot I had when I read this thread:)
My body has realised they are just food not 'naughty treats'...

Knittering 04-06-2013 06:11 PM

I thought they were a terrible idea when I first read about people eating them... and then, as with so many things, I realized I was wrong. :hyst:

They're great for those days when you're not really hungry and want to eat something quick and easy. I keep a batch in my fridge and eat at least one a day -- it's a great way to get a little extra coconut oil into your diet, if that helps you. (It definitely helps me, in all sorts of ways.)

I love lemon, so soften and blend:

• 4oz cream cheese, softened
• 8Tb coconut oil
• 2Tb sour cream
• 4Tb lemon juice + zest of one lemon

Pour into mini cupcake liners and freeze; once frozen, move to covered container in fridge. :yummy:

lisamt 04-06-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thimblecricket (Post 16358593)
I just gorged myself on these. I made minis and ate about..five.

Why isn't my leptin shooting up and curbing this? AGH!

My carbs have been super low as I've been eating mainly meat and eggs. What will this fat overdose do? What will happen now? What have I done?

You could be leptin resistant, or you simply ate too quickly for leptin to kick in and tell your brain "I'm full".

It's also possible that you are one of the unlucky people who reacts to artificial sweeteners as though they were sugar, and eating treats like this may trigger cravings.

Gibbs 04-06-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16358727)
I love lemon, so soften and blend:

4oz cream cheese, softened
8Tb coconut oil
2Tb sour cream
4Tb lemon juice + zest of one lemon

Pour into mini cupcake liners and freeze; once frozen, move to covered container in fridge. :yummy:

This one sounds OMG YUMMY!!

Blue Skies 04-06-2013 09:37 PM

Well, I'll be!
 
Fat bombs you say?! :jumpjoy: Who knew? Never heard of them till I hit this thread. So I googled (HOW DID WE EVER LIVE WITHOUT GOOGLE?!) and lo and behold, all kinds of recipes.

Curious thing that's happened to me in my recent return to a LC WOE. I occasionally yearn for something sweet. I have NEVER had a sweet tooth. My sins of choice have always been about starch---particularly bread, but I have done some serious damage with pasta, rice and potatoes too. In the past, I would gladly give up dessert for an extra helping of starch, without a single regret. I don't dislike sweets, I just don't care much about them. So I've been a bit surprised to have a slight yen for them lately.

Also, I sometimes have trouble eating enough fat in a day, as I'm very satisfied by protein. Something I've been having one a day of, and TOTALLY loving, is a Diet RiteTangerine soda (no aspertame) with cream in a tall glass of ice. I'm going to try it with Diet Root Beer tomorrow for a "Brown Cow."

So now I'm thinking these little Fat Bombs are another answer to getting enough fat in a day---who would think this would ever be a problem, lol. I'm excited to try them, and not worried about overdoing it at all, as lucky for me,
sweets are not a trigger for me.

Gosh, can't believe what I'm learning here---so many things to try and see if they work for me. It's fun, and a very interesting journey.

Yvonnem2000 04-09-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16358727)
I thought they were a terrible idea when I first read about people eating them... and then, as with so many things, I realized I was wrong. :hyst:

They're great for those days when you're not really hungry and want to eat something quick and easy. I keep a batch in my fridge and eat at least one a day -- it's a great way to get a little extra coconut oil into your diet, if that helps you. (It definitely helps me, in all sorts of ways.)

I love lemon, so soften and blend:

4oz cream cheese, softened
8Tb coconut oil
2Tb sour cream
4Tb lemon juice + zest of one lemon

Pour into mini cupcake liners and freeze; once frozen, move to covered container in fridge. :yummy:

Thanks for this recipe. I don't use sweetener or nuts, so these are perfect. And tart, so I don't overdo it like with other fat bombs. Perfect!

BecBelle 04-10-2013 12:02 PM

I use

1 Stick of butter
1 cup cream
Davinci Vanilla syrup sf
1/2 cup CO
orange coolaid pouch (unsweetened)

CTH 04-10-2013 12:31 PM

I made a batch of these on Sunday. Even went to Michael's and bought the silicone tray.

One word: YUCK!! Forced myself to eat one last night. I can't describe the taste other than oil & fat. I taste no chocolate, I taste no almond butter, mainly coconut oil.

I may try to make them with peanut butter and refined coconut oil so it doesn't have the taste... I kind have an aversion to coconut oil.. at least eating it.

shayelle 04-10-2013 01:14 PM

I just made a batch with CO, butter, liquid Stevia, cream, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. It was pretty good but I need to work on the ratio's. Definately too much butter, CO.

Mistizoom 04-10-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16365463)
I made a batch of these on Sunday. Even went to Michael's and bought the silicone tray.

One word: YUCK!! Forced myself to eat one last night. I can't describe the taste other than oil & fat. I taste no chocolate, I taste no almond butter, mainly coconut oil.

I may try to make them with peanut butter and refined coconut oil so it doesn't have the taste... I kind have an aversion to coconut oil.. at least eating it.

I make similar ones to those, but add more butter and dried (unsweetened) coconut I always use at least equal parts butter to CO. They are posted somewhere on LCF as "almond joy" fat bombs. You can also leave out the coconut oil if you don't like it (though it is very good for you!) and use butter alone instead. I made some the other night called Low Carb Peanut Butter Cups from food.com (not sure if I can post a link?) that have only butter and they are really good.

Patience 04-12-2013 11:16 AM

my first try . . . the lemon ones. The flavor really suits me.
But I have never worked with coco oil before. It's solid!
How you do soften to measure? I just scooped out chunks, sort of guessing, but it didn't blend so well. If anyone could give the the scoop on coconut oil, I'd be grateful. I used the spectrum brand, not the most expensive kind, which was virgin. What's the diff?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 AM.