CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
my first try . . . the lemon ones. The flavor really suits me.
But I have never worked with coco oil before. It's solid!
How you do soften to measure? I just scooped out chunks, sort of guessing, but it didn't blend so well. If anyone could give the the scoop on coconut oil, I'd be grateful. I used the spectrum brand, not the most expensive kind, which was virgin. What's the diff?

Scoop it into a glass pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 20-30 seconds. If you put too much in just pour the liquid back into the jar.

I took the advice here and made a batch with refined organic coconut oil because I really don't like the taste of coconut that much... especially coconut oil.

Wow, these turned out great! Chocolatey, smooth, very satisfying! I highly recommend this recipe!!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks for that quick reply, nice to know I can just pour back in the jar.
I think blending will work a bit better now.
I think I can work with these. They are satisifying even without adding sweetners. I'll check out your recipe because I love PButter, too.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
You could be leptin resistant, or you simply ate too quickly for leptin to kick in and tell your brain "I'm full".

It's also possible that you are one of the unlucky people who reacts to artificial sweeteners as though they were sugar, and eating treats like this may trigger cravings.
It's ALSO possible that your body was craving some of the essential fatty-acids found in the CO, and so told you to go overboard. (This happened to hubby & I when we started putting CO in our coffee.)

Personally, I don't use much sweetener in mine at all. A TOUCH of stevia, maybe. Instead, I add a little salt. Salt makes them yummy, and goes well with the peanut butter. (If I make them too bland -- without the salt -- then I tend to eat more of them, because my taste buds aren't satisfied. Which is odd, but have found it true.)

I LOVE these as a quick meal/snack. (2 makes a breakfast for me, 1 makes a snack.) Great energy before a workout...
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
So I made my first fat bombs today. The recipe I used calls for 3/4 cups of coconut oil, 9 TBLS of almond butter, and a stick of regular butter, plus sweetener and cocoa powder. I added in unsweetened coconut and chopped and roasted pecans.

The first bite or two tasted great, and after that I felt like I was munching on a stick of chocolate butter. Hey, I love butter, but as an accessory not a main dish. I already pretty much knew I wasn't an NK candidate, but this sealed the deal for me. Too much of anything just doesn't sit right with my happy spot. But again, that's just me.

If I make these again I will cut the butter in half, and add more unsweetened coconut flakes and roasted pecans. As it is I have another 23 of the ones I made to eat, and I will eat them. But I'm telling you, how anyone can do more than one of these at a time or even a day is beyond my body's experience to understand.

On the positive side, they're pretty easy to make, and once I get the recipe tweaked to my
preference I can see them being an easy way to get your fat in, and for me, these things absolutely kill your appetite for hours.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
I thought they were a terrible idea when I first read about people eating them... and then, as with so many things, I realized I was wrong.

They're great for those days when you're not really hungry and want to eat something quick and easy. I keep a batch in my fridge and eat at least one a day -- it's a great way to get a little extra coconut oil into your diet, if that helps you. (It definitely helps me, in all sorts of ways.)

I love lemon, so soften and blend:

• 4oz cream cheese, softened
• 8Tb coconut oil
• 2Tb sour cream
• 4Tb lemon juice + zest of one lemon

Pour into mini cupcake liners and freeze; once frozen, move to covered container in fridge.
Thanks Knittering. These look really good. And as I said in my post above, having tried the chocolate version, which for me was WAY too buttery and rich, these seem like a breath of fresh air. Will try and report back.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote