LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
How slow is too slow--losing weight LC

Hi. I've been LCing since Sept. 12. At first the pounds seemed to drop every day, but soon started reversing, lol. In 7 weeks (this wed.), I have lost only 6 lbs (saw 197 for a few days, went back up to 201, came back to 199, 198 for last two days again). I have also lost 1 and 1/4 in. from my waist. I see people losing so much, so fast...am I normal? Will I ever lose 60 lbs!!! I can hardly imagine losing 20 lbs, as I've never lost more than about 12 lbs total--ever (I wasn't this overweight until about 10 years ago). Anywho, I've thought about IT (intermittant fasting), but not brave enough yet. I'm not counting calories either...or carbs ...I just don't eat sugar, bread, processed foods, etc.

Obviously, I could start getting stricter. Is that the ticket then? I really had hoped to lose weight effortlessly this go-round, lol.

(I was at 207 in June. I had not weighed myself before that for over a year. Counting calories I lost about 5 or 6 lbs total, but gained back to 204, which is where I started with LC)

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-29-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
What plan are you following? How many carbs are you eating? Can you post a typical menu?

Any loss is good loss in my book but if you are bouncing around it's worth a look at your intake.
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Today's menu:

Breakfast: 1 MM (made with 1 T flax meal, 1 T almond meal, 1/4 t baking soda, cinnamon, 1 egg, splenda, SF chocolate syrup, 1 T butter)

snack: handful of almonds

Lunch: LC chili, dollop of greek yogurt, one slice of cheddar melted on chili

Dinner: squash with onions fried in butter, rib-eye steak...could not eat all of it (didn't turn out well)

snack: homemade pralines

(Over the weekend I drank beer too)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Today's menu:

Well, there's your issue.

How slow is too slow? That's up to you. But those two things right there are very likely slowing your weight loss waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy down.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
Yes. The alcohol and pralines will slow you down. How many almonds in a handful? A serving is 23. Sometimes nuts sneak up on me. Also, unless you made a true low carb chili (no beans) that may have meant a fair amount of carbs too.

I would watch your portions and try to stay between 40-20 carbs for a few days to get an idea of how your body responds.
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Beer is my favorite thing in life, and the reason I gained all my weight (12 or so a day will do that). Everything I have read about it indicates that it is the ideal thing to consume if your goal is to gain fat and screw up how you metabolize other foods. It's worse than sugar. I just listened to a podcast where a researcher explained that beer will make your body more efficient at storing carbs as fat.

Alcohol may slow you down, but beer in particular will grind things to a halt. I have continued to lose weight while still drinking dry wine and occasionally liquor.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Some people have to eat very low carb to lose. I would keep a very close tally on your carbs for ten days or so and see if you can keep them under 20 and see what happens.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
When folks go prolonged periods without losing, the first thing we ask them to do is post their menu, so we can check for "carb creep".

So yes, I'd say that not counting carbs but simply eliminating refined sugars and processed foods isn't working for you. And your menu, well... I would never eat all those carb-rich things in a day! Even in beanless chilli, I'd still be worrying about that amount of tomato, so I'd skip the prailines. And beer is ALWAYS a HUGE cheat.

Most of us who succeed are on a plan that involves monitoring our carbs, not just ditching sugar.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetlady2k
Stats: 194/152.5/145 5ft 10
WOE: atkins and JUDDD now HCG
Start Date: June 28, 2012 R1 HCG 11/5/12 goal 165
Even the mm could be slowing you down. The only real induction style meal I saw was the dinner. I think all the nuts and nut meal would definately stall someone just starting. That's more like pre maintenance. Even though greek yogurt has high protein I wouldn't consider it low carb. Think meat and veggies for now with some cheese. Use butter and ranch sour cream ect.
sweetlady2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
If just eating generally lowish carb isn't working then you're probably better off trying one of the plans and sticking to its rules. When not on a plan it's too easy to cherry pick bits from all of them and the combination may not be effective.

I recommend Atkins of course, I'm an Atkins fiend. But check out the others.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC JUDDD 1888/378
Start Date: 7/7/14 JUDDD
I restarted on Aug 21 so it took me 2 months to drop 11# First time I low carbed I lost that my first 2 weeks. Second time I lost about 7# my first 2 weeks. Then it was very slow. This time I spent the first 7 weeks making myself crazy wanting to speed it up but I finally realized losing even slow losing is way better than gaining and if I had stayed on the path I was on, I would have added a few more #'s by now.
dixiegal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:
Today's menu:

Breakfast: 1 MM (made with 1 T flax meal, 1 T almond meal, 1/4 t baking soda, cinnamon, 1 egg, splenda, SF chocolate syrup, 1 T butter)

Dinner: squash with onions fried in butter, rib-eye steak...could not eat all of it (didn't turn out well)

I see many typical weight loss stallers here:

SF Chocolate Syrup
1 t of almonds + a handful of almonds+homemade pralines= too many carbs
Squash? Unless it's spaghetti squash or zucchini, this may be too high in carbs/starches
Greek yogurt? I love it but I don't eat it because it has far too many carbs.
Beer is off the charts when it comes to carbs. Also--alcohol can cause you to retain water....

I suggest that if you want to lose quicker, restart and eat clean for two weeks...
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
In 7 weeks (this wed.), I have lost only 6 lbs .
I have also lost 1 and 1/4 in. from my waist.
Well, first of all, that's not nothing! I think you need to give yourself some credit here. An inch and a quarter from your waist is a big accomplishment! I'd be less concerned about what the scale says, and more focused on inches. (Google "attention scale addicts part 2" for some good motivation!)

Quote:
I'm not counting calories either...or carbs ...I just don't eat sugar, bread, processed foods, etc.

Obviously, I could start getting stricter. Is that the ticket then? I really had hoped to lose weight effortlessly this go-round, lol.
Well, you ARE losing weight this way, so it's really up to you. Do you want to get stricter and lose faster, or do you want to eat the way you are eating and lose more slowly? Do you know if you have restricted your carbs enough to be in ketosis? And if you haven't, do you want to consider doing so?

Quote:
An LC version or regular sugary ones?

Quote:
I'd recommend dry wine instead. Or maybe a sugar-free mixer such as those made by Cascade Ice.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, I also meant to mention that I have found for me personally, eating anything carby or sweet at breakfast is a recipe for disaster. Carbs definitely impact my body the WORST at breakfast, and the least at dinner. So while your breakfast isn't too bad, it isn't too great either -- or at least it wouldn't be for me. I would recommend a breakfast that's very high in fat, with moderate protein, and nothing sweet.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I was back up to 199 this morning. I am scared that I will just keep staying around the same weight, as I always have and never get any significant loss. I have never been able to stick to ANY WOE for an extended period of time. I am proud of my initial inches and few lbs, but like I said, I'm afraid of just staying around 200 lbs, which is basically where I started. Unfortunately, when you're 60 lbs+ overweight, it's really not apparent that you've lost anything until you've lost 20+ lbs, at least in my mind.

As for the beer...I only drink it once a week. It's not even my drink of choice, but lately my bf has decided he wants to learn to play golf and that's my reward for riding with him on the course. I prefer wine or vodka/diet soda but it just doesn't seem to go with the activity, lol. No, it's not something I want to do sober either!

I guess I can try counting carbs now. Hahaha, was that a prerequisite? Funny how you delude yourself, even asking others to maybe lie to you as well...Here's to getting serious!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I guess I can try counting carbs now. Hahaha, was that a prerequisite?
Not necessarily. I think it depends on the person. My brother-in-law had tremendous success with LC by just cutting out desserts, sodas, bread, and pasta, and never counting a gram or knowing whether he was in ketosis or any of that stuff. My brother also doesn't count grams, but he is very strict with himself about which particular foods are on plan and which ones aren't. I think there is more than one legitimate way to go about it. It just depends on what YOU want out of it. I personally find that I have to count, or I start to experience "carb creep" and end up eating way more than I think I'm eating!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it's a requirement.

No, once you get the hang of it, you don't have to weigh every bite of food. (I never do.)

I strongly suggest you give this lifestyle an honest try -- and that means doing it by-the-book for at least a month. (A month will give you time to adjust to this way of eating.)

After that long, most people PREFER the way they feel eating this way. It's not a sacrifice, anymore.

The next thing I'm going to say is going to sound pretty harsh, but it's coming from a place of deep compassion and from a woman who once thought it was physically impossible (because of various health issues that limited exercise along with a hypoglycemia problem) to lose weight:

You sound like you're giving yourself excuses to fail -- or not even try -- before you start. Like you've given the whole thing up as "impossible", before you even make a real effort at trying. "Well, it's not going to work anyway, and I'm not going to stick with it even if it does, so why do it right?"

So, here's my request: Give it 2 weeks, of eating by the book. I don't really care which of the various plans you choose. Obviously, since I"m an Atkins gal, I'm most familiar with (and thus prefer) that plan, but there are others.

But give it 2 weeks. Count carbs, do it right. Post your menus. Avoid "stall-prone" foods. If you must drink during those 2 weeks, make it the vodka, even if it "doesn't go". Do it this one time for me. (2 weeks = one weekend on the golf cart.)

But give us 2 weeks of REAL LC eating, before you give up. That's long enough to get you through the cravings, and past the bad habits, and the learning-curve. (Because there is one, with this lifestyle!)

And my my first suggestion be use a dollop of sour cream, instead of a dollop of yogurt! We all learned the yogurt trick in the 80's as a way to avoid fat. What you need now is to reverse that habit.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Some people count carbs... others do fine without it. But for me, I HAVE to count carbs. It keeps me accountable. I can't play games with myself that way, and keeps me more honest about what I'm eating.

You can do this... we all can. It's just a matter of how badly we want it!

Best of luck!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
If just eating generally lowish carb isn't working then you're probably better off trying one of the plans and sticking to its rules. When not on a plan it's too easy to cherry pick bits from all of them and the combination may not be effective.
I agree 100%! In the beginning, I think it's really important to have rules to follow, otherwise, you start making up your own.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Also, I would measure what you are eating. One dollop of sour cream could quite possibly be 3-4 T. How much chili are you eating? If you are having a large bowl, you could easily be eating 10-12 carbs right there. And almonds? A big handful can be 15 carbs if you're not careful. SF chocolate syrup often has more carbs than regular and sugar alcohols effect many people just like real sugar does.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Yes, it's a requirement.

No, once you get the hang of it, you don't have to weigh every bite of food. (I never do.)

I strongly suggest you give this lifestyle an honest try -- and that means doing it by-the-book for at least a month. (A month will give you time to adjust to this way of eating.)

After that long, most people PREFER the way they feel eating this way. It's not a sacrifice, anymore.

The next thing I'm going to say is going to sound pretty harsh, but it's coming from a place of deep compassion and from a woman who once thought it was physically impossible (because of various health issues that limited exercise along with a hypoglycemia problem) to lose weight:

You sound like you're giving yourself excuses to fail -- or not even try -- before you start. Like you've given the whole thing up as "impossible", before you even make a real effort at trying. "Well, it's not going to work anyway, and I'm not going to stick with it even if it does, so why do it right?"

So, here's my request: Give it 2 weeks, of eating by the book. I don't really care which of the various plans you choose. Obviously, since I"m an Atkins gal, I'm most familiar with (and thus prefer) that plan, but there are others.

But give it 2 weeks. Count carbs, do it right. Post your menus. Avoid "stall-prone" foods. If you must drink during those 2 weeks, make it the vodka, even if it "doesn't go". Do it this one time for me. (2 weeks = one weekend on the golf cart.)

But give us 2 weeks of REAL LC eating, before you give up. That's long enough to get you through the cravings, and past the bad habits, and the learning-curve. (Because there is one, with this lifestyle!)

And my my first suggestion be use a dollop of sour cream, instead of a dollop of yogurt! We all learned the yogurt trick in the 80's as a way to avoid fat. What you need now is to reverse that habit.
I've been doing this WOE for nearly 2 months. I am not eating non-fat yogurt but full-fat, Cabot Greek Style Yogurt and it's 12 carbs for an entire cup! It's actually lower in carbs than sour cream. I know all about REAL LC eating, I have just tried to do it moderately hoping it would work. It HAS, but the going up and down is becoming a nuisance. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-30-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
Not necessarily. I think it depends on the person. My brother-in-law had tremendous success with LC by just cutting out desserts, sodas, bread, and pasta, and never counting a gram or knowing whether he was in ketosis or any of that stuff. My brother also doesn't count grams, but he is very strict with himself about which particular foods are on plan and which ones aren't. I think there is more than one legitimate way to go about it. It just depends on what YOU want out of it. I personally find that I have to count, or I start to experience "carb creep" and end up eating way more than I think I'm eating!
Men!!! I think it's just a fact of nature that they can lose more easily than women. Our bodies want to hold on to all excess fat storage.

It's official, I'm just going to have to either count my carbs daily, or count calories on successive days (fasting).
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Men!!! I think it's just a fact of nature that they can lose more easily than women. Our bodies want to hold on to all excess fat storage.
Yeah, it definitely does seem that most men lose more easily and quickly than most women. It's not fair, but there it is.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've been doing this WOE for nearly 2 months. I am not eating non-fat yogurt but full-fat. I know all about REAL LC eating, I have just tried to do it moderately hoping it would work. It HAS, but the going up and down is becoming a nuisance. Thanks for the tips!
My point is, according to your posts? You haven't "really" been doing it. You've been flirting with it, saying it won't work and you won't stick to it, making excuses to eat foods with too many carbs for your stage, and then wondering why it's not coming off faster and you're starting to gain.

This is WHAT YOU'VE SAID in your posts.

The yogurt you put in the chili was full fat. Nifty. Why were you using the yogurt at all, though? Have you thought about it? (And at "full fat", it still had 1/4 the fat of the same amount of sour cream.)

YOU HAVE SAID that what you are doing is not working, and you've been gaining. You came here for help.

My answer is to pick a plan, and FOLLOW it for two weeks. Then slowly increase, but staying ON PLAN, not going back to what you've been doing, until you've hit that two-month mark.

If it were working for you, I'd have no problem with what you're doing.

It's not.

You said so.

You say you know about "REAL" LC eating... But that menu you gave wasn't even close. Take up the challenge. DO the real thing, for two weeks. What've you got to lose? (Me? I've got about 38 more pounds to lose -- I'm down 48.)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I think the menu that you listed seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. Butter, steak, and cheddar are super-cool for Atkins. Yogurt, almonds, squash, and onions are super-cool for a leptin-focused or a paleo approach. But the reason the fatty foods are key to Atkins, is because they help you get into ketosis and sustain it. But then the yogurt -- and possibly the almonds, squash, and onions, depending on quantities -- are anti-ketogenic. The yogurt, almonds, squash, and onions are great, vibrant, anti-oxidant foods. But the muffin-in-a-minute has fake sugar and processed fake syrup, which are just low-sugar versions of regular, toxic, processed foods.

Bodybuilders say that a diet is corrective medicine -- first, you have to find the cause of your excess fat and then find a diet which corrects that problem. So if you think you've put on excess bodyfat because of carbs, then you should follow the rules of a low-carb diet and get serious about cutting out the carbs. If you think that eating unhealthy foods is the source of your excess bodyfat, then you should do a leptin-correcting diet or a paleo diet and get serious about cutting out the junky foods.

I think people can have great success by just eliminating the foods that they have problems with. I don't really know you, so I may be wrong -- but your diet doesn't seem like just a *regular* diet that's had the *white* foods cut out of it. It looks more like a mix of a couple of different low- and lowish-carb approaches to eating. And because these diet approaches have different goals, you may not benefit by combining the disparate elements of different types of diets.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Yes, it's a requirement.

I agree with this.
you might be surprised how many carbs you are actually eating once you start counting. I wasn't losing well until I inducted properly, then the weight and inches started to move down again.
keeping it simple works best for me

Good luck
Snoangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
My point is, according to your posts? You haven't "really" been doing it. You've been flirting with it, saying it won't work and you won't stick to it, making excuses to eat foods with too many carbs for your stage, and then wondering why it's not coming off faster and you're starting to gain.

This is WHAT YOU'VE SAID in your posts.

The yogurt you put in the chili was full fat. Nifty. Why were you using the yogurt at all, though? Have you thought about it? (And at "full fat", it still had 1/4 the fat of the same amount of sour cream.)

YOU HAVE SAID that what you are doing is not working, and you've been gaining. You came here for help.

My answer is to pick a plan, and FOLLOW it for two weeks. Then slowly increase, but staying ON PLAN, not going back to what you've been doing, until you've hit that two-month mark.

If it were working for you, I'd have no problem with what you're doing.

It's not.

You said so.

You say you know about "REAL" LC eating... But that menu you gave wasn't even close. Take up the challenge. DO the real thing, for two weeks. What've you got to lose? (Me? I've got about 38 more pounds to lose -- I'm down 48.)
What she said.

millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
Some of us have to be very strict, especially at first, to get consistent weight loss. I was on strict (by the book) induction for 8 months and had good results. No nuts, alcohol, caffeine, etc., but it was so worth it. I didn`t do JUDDD, just the old Atkins by the book. Now I`m in a sort of maintenance phase in which I do intermittent fasting 2 X per week along with a low carb lifestyle. But, on my fasting days I only consume water because, I`m interested in the detoxifying benefits that are gained when your body has a chance to rest from constant digestion. LiterateGriffin has some great advice as usual.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Today's menu:

Some of us just lose slowly, regardless of how disciplined we are. I don't drink alcohol, don't use artificial sweeteners, count calories as well as carbs, limit protein to under 50 grams a day, and have now added JUDDD (so I'm keeping my calories today, a down day, at 400-500). With all that, plus a fair amount of exercise, I still lose very slowly--some weeks or months with no loss at all. If it's hard for your body to let go of weight, then there's all the more reason to stay on plan, measure and track what you eat, and avoid eating anything that you suspect might stall you. It's not fair, it's unfortunate, but it is what it is. The worst thing you can do is give up, just because you don't get as quick results as some other people. At worst, staying on plan helps you maintain rather than gain more--and going off plan and eating carby junk certainly won't help your health or weight loss goals.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Yes, it's a requirement.
I respectfully disagree with the counting carbs as a requirement. It depends on what you're eating. If you stick to meat, eggs, fat and leafy vegetables it's almost impossible to eat too many carbs. It's when you start eating out of packages that it gets tricky.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote