Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Can you be in ketosis and not lose weight?

Just done a quick Google and here are some comments i read....

- There's nothing magical about ketosis and you will still gain if energy in exceeds energy out. Ketosis is not neccessary for fatloss and you shouldn't put coconut and other fat sources everywhere. Focus on more protein from meat/eggs/dairy + green veggies and don't add any fats other than some fishoil. You'll be getting enough fats from your protein sources and don't have to worry about ketosis.

- Damn. Thanks Manimal- I feel like kind of an idiot now for not assuming this, but ketosis gets such cred on this board! I mean, if weight on ketosis still equals energy in and energy out, what's all the fuss about?

- Ketosis means that your body is using mostly fat for fuel. IF you are eating less energy than you burn, then yay, it'll be mostly stored fat that your body uses, and you will shrink. But if you are eating more energy, then you will still be laying down fat faster than you burn it. The win in ketosis is that most people are a lot less hungry. It does not add up to fat loss by itself.

- If I go to ketosis I will usually undereat without planning to, because my appetite just shrinks. But this might not be true for you. And coconut is not a magic free fat loss food. The fats in it are easy to digest and it's a good choice for promoting ketosis, but if you eat enough of it, you can still get fatter on it.

- It is possible to gain weight in ketosis - calories still matter

Thoughts?
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Insulin is needed to store fat, and when you're in ketosis you've got your insulin levels basically as low as they can go, so it's not likely that you'll gain, but it is possible to remain stable.

Dave Asprey of bulletproofexec used to be very obese, and he's been on a 4500 calorie, no exercise experiment for a couple years in an attempt to prove that calories don't matter, and he remains 6-pack lean, but he eats a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb diet that excludes seed oils, artificial sweeteners and cheese.

In Why We Get Fat Gary Taubes describes a group of obese people who were put on an all meat diet. Some of them intentionally tried to overeat in order to prove the diet wouldn't work (they were told they could eat all they wanted), and they all still lost weight.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I think ketosis is part of the big picture, but not the only defining factor in weight loss.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
Insulin is needed to store fat, and when you're in ketosis you've got your insulin levels basically as low as they can go, so it's not likely that you'll gain, but it is possible to remain stable.

Dave Asprey of bulletproofexec used to be very obese, and he's been on a 4500 calorie, no exercise experiment for a couple years in an attempt to prove that calories don't matter, and he remains 6-pack lean, but he eats a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb diet that excludes seed oils, artificial sweeteners and cheese.

In Why We Get Fat Gary Taubes describes a group of obese people who were put on an all meat diet. Some of them intentionally tried to overeat in order to prove the diet wouldn't work (they were told they could eat all they wanted), and they all still lost weight.
This actually answers my question from Library Girls' thread regarding the book by the ADA.

thanks!

I need to find my darn library card and read Taubes asap.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post

Dave Asprey of bulletproofexec.com used to be very obese, and he's been on a 4500 calorie, no exercise experiment for a couple years in an attempt to prove that calories don't matter, and he remains 6-pack lean, but he eats a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb diet that excludes seed oils, artificial sweeteners and cheese.

This is not wholly accurate.

ASSUMING you have a semi-normal metabolism, insulin levels approach normal levels after being completely keto adapted (somewhere in a 2-3 week timeframe but can be as long as 6months and some never get fully keto adapted according to Ron Rosedale.)

Some of us have very badly broken metabolisms and will continue to be hyperinsulinemic producing as much as 1000x or more, the amount of insulin a person needs to control their blood sugar. This is due to having insulin resistance and the cells needing more insulin pumping in order to transport blood glucose into storage.

If it were me, I would start by getting a book to the plan you KNOW you can stick with for the longest amount of time. If that's Atkin's, then choose the plan '72, '92, DANDR, or NANY. Then follow it. Don't ad lib. Don't change anything. Follow the plan step by step.

If you have success, great, keep following it.

If you don't, then and only then is it time to start double guessing, tweaking etc.

Right now, your insulin is HIGH. Doesn't matter if you're in ketosis. You insulin will be high for a couple of weeks and likely will still be higher than most people at that point. It took 3 months for my A1c to fall from 6.9 down to 5.3 eating 20g of net carbs per day and some days less than that.

In general, if you A1c is falling it's a good indication your insulin is also falling but it doesn't mean it's "normal" by any category.

I too ended up having to control my fat levels and I ended up also having to control my protein amounts. What ended up working for me was lower fat (40-60% fat), 60-80g protein, and 20-60g carbs with about 75% of those coming from leafy greens.

Good luck. Take it one meal at a time. For right now, don't skip meals. Eat only to satiety and eat on a schedule. Try to eat the same quantities from the meal on the previous day to the present day. (i.e. Breakfast to Breakfast, Lunch to Lunch, Dinner to Dinner). You pancreas remembers how much insulin was needed for that meal from 24 hours previous and will excrete that for the present meal whether or not your needs changed.

Eventually your insulin should stop being on a roller coaster. Ketosis will hopefully prevail and you will lose weight.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
As you can tell reading this site alone, your mileage may vary
Some people can eat as many calories as they like, others have to watch them.
As with anything: everyone and everybody is different.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
In the first place, that theory would only mean that you can't GAIN weight in ketosis, not that you would necessarily lose anything. Also:

Our bodies are about 1000 times more complicated than any current medical explanations or theories take into account. All you can hope for is a ballpark idea of how these things work. Theoretically, yes, the lack of insulin with ketosis will preclude gaining weight.

This is not completely true of course. We all make blood glucose from protein with gluconeogenesis to a greater or lesser degree under whatever circumstances our INDIVIDUAL bodies deem appropriate.

Personally, I need a very high level of insulin in my blood to keep my blood sugars normal even when eating NO carbs at all and very little protein. Why? Presumably my body is making glucose from my own protein tissues? Who knows. I believe that is what happens when we "lose muscle" or "lose lean mass."

If you are not diabetic and pretty normal weight, that theory of ketosis/insulin is probably pretty much true. The more obese and insulin resistant you are, the more irrelevant it becomes!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
As you can tell reading this site alone, your mileage may vary
Some people can eat as many calories as they like, others have to watch them.
As with anything: everyone and everybody is different.
I think this advice from Dottie is the best advice that anyone could give you! Everybody is different. Before you start to worry about being in ketosis and losing weight, you first have to stick to a plan, see how it works for your body, and then tweak the plan based on your individual results. I've seen tons of posts on here from people who say, "Help! My ketone sticks are dark purple, so I know I'm in ketosis, but I haven't lost weight in three weeks!" And then a week later, you read that they've given up cheese or aspertame or something and they've suddenly dropped 3 pounds. Everybody just has to find an approach works for their individual body.

Also, I would just like to point out the fact that not every ketogenic diet is a weightloss diet. There is a very rigid ketogenic, high-fat/extremely low carb/moderate-protein diet to treat kids with epilepsy -- and another rare condition in which the child's body, basically, can't burn glucose. And those kids not only gain weight, they grow up and get much bigger. So controlling insulin doesn't make it impossible to gain weight, or even impossible to gain muscle -- even though mainstream men's fitness magazines still claim that people *can't* put on muscle unless their post-workout meals contain glucose to spike "the anabolic hormone" insulin. Insulin *is* the anabolic hormone -- it's integral to protein synthesis and muscle growth. But there are so many other factors involved, you can't oversimplify the mechanisms of the body and emphasize just the hormone insulin without looking at the larger context.

Somewhere on this forum, I read an interview with a lady from the Atkins Foundation, in which forum participants posted questions and she answered them. Someone asked about calories and she answered that when she worked with Dr Atkins in clinical practice, he never initially had patients count calories because he found that most of his patients would naturally eat at a level that would cause them to lose weight. However, when he had patients that didn't lose weight, the first thing he did was to get that patient to keep a food journal and cut back on calories, which almost always worked and started them losing weight. Different people respond differently to the same diet regime, some people need to monitor their calorie level while others don't.

Last edited by Trillex; 10-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Forgot something!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
YES!!!

if u take in too many calories, and limit your carbs to induction levels, u will be in deep ketosis, but have nothing to show for it scalewise. However, you CAN consume more calories and lose than a high carb plan. Many of us, who had begun from a point of ALWAYS being hungry, really went whole hog on Induction. I willl give u an example. On Induction I would order 2 large orders of chinese ribs(20 pieces)w/o bbq sauce, and a house special soup. i ate all of it except the sliced carrots and Lilliputian corns. I was likewise generous with myself for bkst and lunch. I was losing on that. After a while, we must learn to focus on being satisfied with less. i am satisfied with less. I can make that same chinese meal last for 3 meals instead of 1. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Dr Atkins stated long ago (maybe in his 1972 book or the late 1990s edition) that "low-carb is not a license to gorge".
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:
- It is possible to gain weight in ketosis - calories still matter
That's true, but ketosis (for many) helps with hunger management. When I'm in ketosis, my cravings for sweets is eliminated and my caloric intake is self-limiting. In ketosis, it's impossible for me to overeat, unless I'm ingesting some ridiculously caloric item (like 2lbs of butter a day)...

Question for you, Sting--how long have you stuck with the low carb diets, consistently, without cheats?
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
calories still matter. Ketosis will give you an advantage, but if you eat too many calories you still won't lose weight.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Our bodies are about 1000 times more complicated than any current medical explanations or theories take into account. All you can hope for is a ballpark idea of how these things work. Theoretically, yes, the lack of insulin with ketosis will preclude gaining weight.

This is not completely true of course. We all make blood glucose from protein with gluconeogenesis to a greater or lesser degree under whatever circumstances our INDIVIDUAL bodies deem appropriate.

Personally, I need a very high level of insulin in my blood to keep my blood sugars normal even when eating NO carbs at all and very little protein. Why? Presumably my body is making glucose from my own protein tissues? Who knows. I believe that is what happens when we "lose muscle" or "lose lean mass."
I don't want to ramble on, and you may already be aware of this but I just want to say... The reaction you've described may not simply be the result of your insulin balance being a bit unusual -- many people over-produce stress hormones that raise blood glucose and, it doesn't matter how much you've limited your carbohydrate intake, your blood glucose will still rise too high and cause counterbalancing spikes in insulin. I don't know if you've ever been a smoker, but I've read about former smokers whose adrenal systems continue to over-produce epinephrine (or maybe it was norepinephrine?) for years after they've quit smoking. This over-production of stress hormones causes the body to have a chemical fight-or-flight response and consequently produce too much blood glucose, which insulin then has to come in and clear away after you don't fight-or-fly. I believe doctors can address this condition by treating the imbalance in the adrenergic system. I'm just mentioning this in case it might apply to you...

RE: Insulin and other hormones

There is a very controversial figure from the world of 1980s & 1990s bodybuilding, Dan Duchaine (he passed away many years ago), who saw a lot of value in the Atkins diet of the 1970s. HOWEVER, as a competitive bodybuilder -- who had spent years manipulating his insulin AND his testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, growth hormone, cortisol, T3, T4, potassium, lactate, epinephrine, norepinephrine, seratonin, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera -- Duchaine felt that writing a book about fat loss and over-emphasizing the role of insulin was too misleading to be an effective blueprint for people who needed to exercise *reliable* control over their bodyfat percentage. So Duchaine did research -- and personal experimentation -- and looked at other ways to use glycogen depletion and the ketogenic state to manipulate additional fat-loss and muscle-gain factors.

His ketogenic diet book, Underground Bodyopus, was originally released as a series of newsletters back in the 1980s. It's an old-skool version of a bodybuilding ketogenic diet -- and it's dated enough that nobody really does Duchaine's specific diet anymore, Lyle McDonald and a bunch of other people have *tweaked* and updated it -- but this Bodyopus text continues to be passed around by young bodybuilders -- who weren't even born when the diet was originally developed -- because this work talks about many of the additional hormonal factors that go beyond insulin.

My trainer recommended the Atkins diet to me -- he's a bodybuilder and he praises the way that the diet's effectiveness was developed over decades of Dr Atkins' clinical experience with obese patients. But my trainer also had me read the Bodyopus book as a reference text, because he wants me to truly understand the wide variety of factors that will have an impact on my fat loss. Unfortunately, the popular diet books -- and even a lot of the popular bodybuilding texts -- oversimplify the body's mechanisms to the point where they're actually misleading.

My trainer and my brothers (who are both bodybuilders and who are both helping advise me on my weightloss pursuit) know -- by actually reading the applicable clinical studies and from personal experimentation -- that manipulating the body's level of insulin release *can* be a lipolytic tool and/or an anabolic tool. However, even though popular diet books say that you *can't* store fat when insulin levels are low and controlled, and that popular bodybuilding texts say that you *must* spike insulin with your post-workout protein feed or you *can't* build muscle, guys who have done a lot of research and personal experimentation know that these claims have exaggerated the underlying principle to the point of being false. The body is way too complicated to distill it down to a single hormone. And the system is constantly in flux. So the hormone that is making things happen for you today may not be the most important factor after, for example, you've cut 30 pounds of bodyfat and released additional estrogen into your system.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post

Question for you, Sting--how long have you stuck with the low carb diets, consistently, without cheats?

I thought around 8 weeks but now that i think about it i think 4 weeks maybe a few cheat days and another 4 weeks.

I read this and thought i post it here as the article seems very against ketosis

Many low-carbohydrate diets tout the benefits of being in a state of ketosis, which they claim results in weight loss. The idea is that by not eating enough carbohydrates to use as energy, your body will instead break down fat for energy. As a result, you will lose fat and weight. The idea of ketosis for weight loss, however, does not work as well in reality and comes with many health risks. Talk to your doctor before going on a diet that promotes ketosis.

Ketosis Overview

The state of ketosis occurs when ketones, which are fats that are not completely broken down, build up in your blood. Your body needs carbohydrates to fully break down fat, so a lack of enough carbohydrates leads to ketones. During ketosis, there are high levels of uric acid in your body which can lead to kidney stones and gout.

It is possible to lose weight in the state of ketosis, especially in the beginning. This state can reduce your feelings of hunger so you eat less, which is the result touted by low-carbohydrate diets. Ketosis might even make you nauseous, making you not want to eat. A May 2008 study in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" points out, however, that not enough evidence backs up the idea that ketones suppress appetite.

Weight Loss from Additional Factors

Ketosis also might cause weight loss in the beginning of a diet because of a loss of water weight. Ketosis causes your body to get rid of sodium and to release more urine. This can result in losing about 100 to 150 calories a day, just from this aspect of ketosis. This is weight that will likely be regained, however. Many diets that result in ketosis, namely low-carbohydrate diets, are low in calories as well, which can lead to weight loss. Nonetheless, it is often an unhealthily low number of calories.

Warning

Although you might lose weight on ketosis, it is not recommended for your body. Ketosis can cause a number of side effects, including dizziness, bad breath, dehydration, constipation, headaches, weakness and irritation. After you are on it for a longer period of time, such as a few weeks, it can cause kidney stones and gout. Ketosis can cause death if you have diabetes and if you are pregnant, this state can interfere with the development of your baby or even cause death.

Having Type 2 diabetes myself after reading this i'm a little hmmm any info from you guys/gals would be great

thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I strongly recommend reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" to get a full response to claims like the one posted above about how ketosis doesn't work and is supposedly dangerous. I don't recommend asking your doctor about whether it's okay to follow a low carb diet, because most doctors get minimal and uncritical training in nutrition. I imagine that I have read substantially more articles and books about low carb eating and its effects than the average doctor. If you adopt a ketogenic/low carb diet and improve your blood sugar levels, then your doctor is likely to be persuaded by your good results--but not necessarily in advance.

There are so many misstatements in that short piece quoted that I hardly know where to begin. The side effects mentioned generally pass in a week or two, as your body adjusts to using a different mix of macronutrients. The only way that ketosis would be a cause of death is in the extreme form of ketoacidosis experienced by some people whose diabetes is entirely out of control; the author is confusing ketosis and ketoacidosis and thereby revealing his general ignorance on the topic. Kidney stones are most associated with too low water intake and some evidence suggests that a high carbohydrate diet increases risks for them.

Other sources that I suggest you read, as a diabetic, are Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and Jenny Ruhl's website on Blood Sugar 101. Eating a ketogenic diet used to be the standard way to control Type 2 Diabetes, and hundreds of people on this board have testified that they have improved blood sugar control eating a low carbohydrate diet. You do need to be careful to monitor blood sugar, since you may have to reduce levels of medication (such as insulin) when eating low carb--but that's a good thing, overall.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Other sources that I suggest you read, as a diabetic, are Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and Jenny Ruhl's website on Blood Sugar 101. Eating a ketogenic diet used to be the standard way to control Type 2 Diabetes, and hundreds of people on this board have testified that they have improved blood sugar control eating a low carbohydrate diet. You do need to be careful to monitor blood sugar, since you may have to reduce levels of medication (such as insulin) when eating low carb--but that's a good thing, overall.
Second both of these suggestions. You can go to Jenny's site right now, just google "Bloodsugar 101" and start the learning.

So many of us here are Type II's who have seen dramatic improvements in our fasting blood sugar and A1C's, not to mention the weight loss and generally feeling better and more in control.

Sting, you can find literally anything on the internet. Any number of articles for or against something. But before you decide for yourself, try reading the experts. Dr. Bernstein is a diabetic himself who, after years of being frustrated by the mainstream medical community's inability to properly treat his disease, went to medical school. His book is so essential for diabetics. I know there's a lot of information floating around you and it's a lot to take in. I hope you hang in there and figure out what's best for you.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

You can also read the results of clinical studies that compare different diets. They're free. Major medical journals now publish the results online so you can just google them. And clinical studies use other approaches to weight loss as "control groups," so you can actually compare the health and fat loss results of one diet to the results of a different diet.

With regard to the claim that very low-carb diets don't effectively induce weight loss, this study was published earlier this summer in the Journal of the American Medical Association, and it's results showed that people on a very low-carb diets burned more calories than people on higher-carb diets that fed them the exact same amount of calories and with the exact same amount of energy expenditure:

JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance

With regard to the claim that very low-carb diets have a negative effect on the health markers for diabetes (and cardiovascular disease), here is a study that was also published in the Journal of the American Medical Association that demonstrates that very low-carb diets were exactly as effective as 3 different types of low-fat diets at improving all of the primary health markers:

JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone Diets for Weight Loss and Heart Disease Risk ReductionA Randomized Trial

And in this study, which was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, low-carb dieters lost slightly more weight than participants on a low-fat diet and participants on a mediterranean diet, and improved their health markers to the same degree:

MMS: Error

There are now more than 20 years of data from dozens of clinical studies of low-carb diets. And none of the studies have shown the low-carb diet approach to be less healthy than mainstream diets. The results of a clinical study are never a guarantee that an individual will perform as well as the study's participants -- especially dieters who have metabolic challenges that the study participants didn't have. However, with regard to the safety and efficacy of low-carb dieting, the published studies do prove that a low-carb diet is as safe and effective as any other diet available.

At the end of the day, it's up to you and your body to discover which approach to weight loss works best for you. And which approach you're most comfortable with. If you don't like the food... If you don't trust the approach... If the diet doesn't fit into your lifestyle... These are important factors to consider. If you read the results of a variety of different studies of weight loss diets -- and reports published by the National Weight Control Registry about people, on a variety of different diets, who have successfully lost to goal and then maintained their loss for 3+ years -- you'll see that the single factor that people who lose and successfully maintain their weight loss have in common is that they found a diet that they liked and could live with. As the researchers said in their report on the Low-carb/Low-fat/Mediterranean diet, "personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions." People who don't like their diet or who don't tweak the diet to suit their individual needs, don't stick with the program even if the program is helping them to successfully lose pounds.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

thanks you everyone really appreciate all these replies tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I strongly recommend reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" .

this is from that site

Low Carb diets have a Natriuretic effect. High carbohydrate diets make the kidneys retain salt, whereas a low carbohydrate intake increases sodium excretion by the kidney (called ‘the natriuresis of fasting’). Failure to replace the salt will result in headaches, fatigue, weakness and constipation. To avoid this add 1-2 grams of sodium to your diet daily and especially within one hour before a heavy workout

Sodium is not salt so according to this i should be getting some form of sodium which i am not sure about?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jinny
Stats: 214/145/127
WOE: Gluten free, sugar free, low carb
Start Date: August 2012
Bacon and cheese should both be sources of sodium
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I don't have any science backing but only my own exerience. When eating a low fat restricted calories diet I would have to eat about 1300-1400 calories a day to see a slow but steady weight loss on the scales.

Since eating very low carb (not very long lol) I have been eating higher fat so my calories have been higher. I've been eating between 1600 - 1800 calories a day and losing weight at a much better rate than on a restricted calorie diet.

Although having said that, my TDEE is around 2000 calories with my BMR around 1600 so I still should lose weight eating 1800 calories a day in theory.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I haven't read through everything here but my experience this past weekend was very discouraging. My weight loss over the past several months has been slow but steady...no cheats and I've stayed in ketosis according to the sticks. I somehow managed to gain 5 pounds last weekend. Same foods and a lot more active. The keto sticks were purple all weekend. I don't know what happened. (and of course it's going to take me all week to get it off )
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You will always find naysayers and they will attempt to present 'science' to back up their claims. You need to examine the so called studies and also consider the source of your information and what their underlying agendas may be.

Most people who have kept up with the current and cutting edge science in this field of nutritional ketosis feel confident enough to tell you that the evidence in unambiguous. It is evident from the comments that the author (s) of the evidence that you present are what I call 'old school' and have a lot of misconceptions. Too tedious to dissect.

Try reading 'Good Calories/Bad Calories'. And I also recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living along with Life Without Bread, Why We Get Fat and any of the Atkins books.

For an entertaining venture into the science is Tom Naughton's movie Fat Head. Additionally, a # of N.Y.T. articles by Gary Taubes (What if it has all been a big fat lie, Is Sugar Toxic, We Only Think We Know the Truth About Sugar) and the great lecture by Dr. R. Lustig "Is Sugar Toxic" which can be easily accessed on youtube.

There is also a wealth of great information on many many blogs but the best for a variety is Jimmy Moore and his many podcasts.

These are just a few places to access great information but if you pay attention to what the 'conventional experts' are saying recently, is that carbohydrates (refined) are toxic and are proposing a tax on junk food. This is because the growing body of evidence is that it is not the fat, not the protein but the carbohydrates.

To answer your original question, "can you be in ketosis and not lose weight" the answer is unequivocally, yes.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 10-24-2012 at 06:20 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
Great posts, Trillex!! (Where's the thumbs up button when you need it??)
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:
I read this and thought i post it here as the article seems very against ketosis
You'll always find information on the internet and elsewhere that is against low carb dieting.

As someone who followed low carb, lost 100 lbs and then buckled under the pressure that "low carb is dangerous", I'd like to introduce you to my extra 100 lbs that I gained while trying to be "healthy"!

I've researched low carb and I've concluded that my sugar counts are normal and I feel GREAT on low carb. The weight loss is just a pleasant side effect.

Quote:
Although you might lose weight on ketosis, it is not recommended for your body. Ketosis can cause a number of side effects, including dizziness, bad breath, dehydration, constipation, headaches, weakness and irritation. After you are on it for a longer period of time, such as a few weeks, it can cause kidney stones and gout. Ketosis can cause death if you have diabetes and if you are pregnant, this state can interfere with the development of your baby or even cause death.
I've been to many dieting forums and you know what? The low carb forums are the ones that consistently show RESULTS.

Many of the "warnings" here are easily remedied:

dizziness--lack of potassium--take a supplement.
bad breath--PLEASE! Spare me---sugarfree breath mints
dehydration--Drink more.
constipation--drink more, take psyllium or flax oil
headaches--maybe in the beginning--nothing a tablet can't fix
weakness--NO WAY. I don't know anyone who doesn't feel totally energetic on low carb!

To me, these seem like very minimal side effects to endure for the health benefits that you'll gain by losing weight and controlling your blood sugar.

Quote:
Having Type 2 diabetes myself after reading this i'm a little hmmm any info from you guys/gals would be great
As a type II diabetic this diet is PERFECT for you! Low carb diets not only regular blood sugar, but they help you lose weight which also contributes to regulating sugar levels.

Sting--low carb isn't a quick fix. It's not a reducing diet that you follow for a while and expect dramatic results--it's a lifestyle change or a way of eating that you can follow for the rest of your life. In maintenance, you can even begin eating more fruits and vegetables.

I have faith in you, but I feel that you're looking for excuses why it won't/can't work for you.

If you're not convinced, please look at CJ's blog. She is a member here, you can even search her posts. She was well over 400 lbs and she used low carb to lose 250 lbs.

CJ's Low Carb Corner

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
YES. You can easily way over-eat on low carb...

Personally, eating the high fat/low carb version of low carb eating makes me stall completely on the weight loss...and slowly add weight. WHILE I was in ketosis. Atkins talked about metabolically resistant individuals...there's quite a few of us out there who have systems that want to hold onto every ounce. Low Carb helps out-smart our metabolisms, but it is not a miracle. It was actually a LOT of work (and a lot of excess eating) to put on all the extra weight. It will be a lot of work, and a lot of controlled, non-excess eating, to lose it. To control calories, I had to control the fat and go to mostly low fat/low carb which ends up being fairly low calorie too when you cut out the fat. That's working for me.

But I do think you may be totally over-thinking this, and researching a lot of stuff that really doesn't matter. The real trick is find a plan, read up on it and FOLLOW it, no tweaks, no adjustments, no "But-I-Added-This-food-item that's not allowed." Just follow the plan as written. Period. Your previous posts indicated that you probably know why you're not losing...you follow a diet for a couple of weeks then you have a CHEAT day, which follows with more cheats. Your experience would indicate that you're not one of the people who can have the occasional cheat...it obviously doesn't work if you cheat & cannot get right back onto the program. SKIP the cheats...or at least set a really good goal to achieve before the next cheat: like lose 75 or 100 lbs. first. Then see if you really want that cheat day after achieving that kind of goal.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 10-24-2012 at 08:49 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
I think you are overthinking this also. I lost most of my weight by following a diet that my doctor put me on. I was limited to 1200 calories a day and no more than 50 grams of carbs total.

I decided I was tired of weighing everything and tired of food being so lean and tough to eat so I switched to Atkins.

Yes I'm limited to less carbs now BUT, I can real food again and I don't count calories at all.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Terra2721
Stats: 232/164/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: restart 9/17/2012
Thanks for asking this question....I have been wondering the same thing. I lost 70 lbs on Atkins in about 10 months 5 years ago....maintained the loss until I got pregnant. Now I am back on induction (have been for 4 weeks)...so far I have lost 12 lbs, which I am pleased with....but for the last 2.5 weeks I am fluctuating back and forth between 220-222. Haven't change my menu, hoping to see a whoosh soon.
Terra2721 is offline   Reply With Quote