Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Meds causing weight gain? :(

Hi All,

My Dr. just prescribed me medication for sleep and nerve damage all in one little pill. I slept like a baby last night for the first time in MONTHS
My concern is that it will make me gain weight, after reading tons of reviews on it people are saying they've gained over 20lbs in just a month.
There were people saying that they had uncontrollable urges to eat sugar and carbs and that was to blame, then there were others saying they didn't change their diet at all and gained.
I know that I won't give in and start eating carbs, it just worries me because this time around it's harder to lose the weight I put on in the last 6 months!

My question is.... have any of you struggled to lose or maintain weight while on certain medication? And did lowering calories or anything help?

I appreciate any feedback!!! Thank you!
Snoangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
This is a hard one. I was put on a medicine a bit over a month ago that is notorious for causing blood sugar issues and weight gain, prednisone, and the doc specifically told me he wanted me to eat very low carb in an effort to avoid both those effects. So far, it has worked well, and I've actually lost 11 or 12 pounds. But I've known other people who did feel ravenous and who gained weight on the medicine, so I may just be lucky, I don't know. All I can say is, if you do your best and stick to your LC diet, and you feel genuinely better and sleep better and are healthier getting decent sleep from taking this medicine, then maybe right now that is more important than worrying about a little weight, especially if you know you're eating well and not carbing out, so your body is still getting the benefits of a healthy diet...
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lene!

I agree with you. After thinking about how great I slept last night and how I am pain free this morning, Maybe gaining a couple pounds right now is worth feeling healthy and happy.
And knowing that I stuck to plan will help if I do gain a small amount. (still hope I don't tho)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't see how anyone can help if you don't name the med. Good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

alizgurl, I know just what you mean about the pain -- that's what makes the risk of issues with the prednisone well worth it to me, too. I can actually walk down stairs now, lift my arms, turn over in bed without pain. It amazes me, and even if I'd gained some weight from the medicine, it would be worth these changes. But I've been lucky, and the LC eating seems to be doing the trick. You might find that sticking like glue to the diet will offset any possible issues with the med you're taking, but boy, just being pain-free is a very worthwhile thing. Just think how happy your body will be if you are eating a great, healthy LC diet *and* not having pain and sleeping issues!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
after reading tons of reviews on it people are saying they've gained over 20lbs in just a month.
Wait. Tons of SAD eating people? I wouldn't assume that as an LC'r, especially a 20g a day person like yourself, would suffer the same fate as those mainstreamers.

If it increases your appetite try to offset it with fat/protein.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Sorry about that...
It's edavil. It was used about 30 years ago for depression but is now used for sleep, and nerve damage among other things. I didn't want a narcotic so he prescribed me this.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Amitriptyline!
edavil is generic and i'm pretty sure I spelled it wrong. :/
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
In the low doses used for sleep and neuropathy treatment (10-50 mg) you should not expect to see a gain. But you know, as in all things, YMMV.

In higher doses used to treat depression (150-300 mg) weight gain was pretty common.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
And you were right about the misspelling- the branded amitriptyline is Elavil.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
According to Dr. Google, it doesn't cause weight gain and carb cravings because it mucks with insulin sensitivity, but because it antagonizes serotonin receptors, which can stimulate carb cravings.

If it causes weight gain because of carb cravings, then resisting said cravings should prevent any problems. You're good.

Most serotonin is made in the gut, so you might watch your gut health (e.g. take probiotics, avoid Splenda, etc.).
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Iramirez2000! I should have done more research on taking a smaller dose.

I will only be taking 30 mg at the very most, just 10 mg for now.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

KittyMCKnitty,this makes sense to me. I did so much reading on it that everything kind of blurred and I was only seeing WEIGHT GAIN.

Next time I'll slow down and take time to read the facts.

I appreciate the responses tho. It has definitely eased my mind!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

And y'know, that last line is a big part of success -- when you say that your mind is eased, that says to me that you're feelin' good and not stressing now. Which makes sticking to your LC diet and relaxing into days without pain and nights where you can actually sleep a whole lot easier to accomplish. So much of how we do on this way of eating is based on how we feel, mentally and emotionally. Glad you're feeling better! <g>
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC/JUDDD My way
Start Date: 7/7/14 LC/JUDDD
Quote:
Sorry about that...
It's edavil. It was used about 30 years ago for depression but is now used for sleep, and nerve damage among other things. I didn't want a narcotic so he prescribed me this.
I took this for over 5 years and lost well while low carbing. I gained a bit after I stopped taking it
dixiegal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Also if you start having cravings try taking L Glutamine and chromium supplements. I took Elavil for sleep once but I'm a wimp. 1 low dose pill kept me out for 15 hours. Lol
I had to change to something else.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
Also if you start having cravings try taking L Glutamine and chromium supplements...
Backing this. L-glut is a life saver (for when you're craving Lifesavers ).
Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
This is my experience, others' experiences may vary but I was on a low carb diet the entire time so I think I have good perspective.
Over a couple years I lost over 60 pounds all while being on various anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, and Amitriptyline for a while for help with sleep when I had to switch meds. I was also on the depo provera shot the entire time. I went from 175 to 112 lbs while being completely, ridiculously medicated.
That said, I ate low carb the entire time and went off all my medication when I reached 115 pounds last year. Funny, I gained weight after I went off them. (also went off my WOE most days out of the week)
I don't want to sound bratty, but I will never believe medications of this kind cause weight gain. I also don't believe birth control causes weight gain.
-I truly believe it's all diet, and if you're eating whole low carb foods I don't think there's anything to worry about.-
Good luck and I'm glad you are feeling better!
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ALL!!!

I have continued to lose at a slow and steady pace so I am feeling pretty good.

I also think it has alot to do with what you eat, I was also worried about starting birth control because of weight gain (and the fact I can't handle hormones) But when I think about it, all my friends that gained on birth control and other meds, ate cakes, cookies, fries, pizza, pretty much tons of unhealthy food for comfort. I find my comfort in a nice big steak or hamburger wrapped in lettuce so I should be juuust fine

I had read about L Glutamine on a thread here and looked for it last night with no luck, I will search more today. I found myself craving sweets last night so I could really use something that will cut my cravings.

Thanks again!! you all are GREAT support
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
Backing this. L-glut is a life saver (for when you're craving Lifesavers ).
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I gained weight on that med. It was wonderful for sleep and preventing migraines, but it made me crave food BAD! I could have eaten the plates and silverware after my meal!

It was worse than prednisone as far as food cravings. I do know a girl who lost weight on it though. It's an individual thing. Meds work different for different people.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Wait. Tons of SAD eating people? I wouldn't assume that as an LC'r, especially a 20g a day person like yourself, would suffer the same fate as those mainstreamers.

If it increases your appetite try to offset it with fat/protein.

I did just that, increased my fat the last couple days because I had not lost in a couple weeks of strict low carb. And BAM!! kicked right back into fat burning mode.

I also bought keto strips and have been in deep purple for a couple weeks, just not losing. I read on another thread that I shouldn't even pay attention to those. So I'll just go on how I feel.

I did low carb for over a year with much ease and took a small break when I was on a commercial fishing vessel (didn't really have a choice)
It's just much harder this time around to make goal.
BUT I am always up for a good challenge!!
Sorry for rambling haha
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Star,
This was how I felt last night!!! I had already eaten plenty and my limit in protein (trying high fat, med protein) and there was a big bowl of steaming fresh prawns with melted butter and roasted veggies on the side. OH and salmon patties.
I ate half a prawn and talked myself out of it somehow! YAY
My full belly won this round, not my hungry brain
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Quote:
I think this is exactly right! That's the key to getting around any craving or hunger side effects. You have to let your brain win!
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Star,
This was how I felt last night!!! I had already eaten plenty and my limit in protein (trying high fat, med protein) and there was a big bowl of steaming fresh prawns with melted butter and roasted veggies on the side. OH and salmon patties.
I ate half a prawn and talked myself out of it somehow! YAY
Good for you! Just keep focused
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
Most serotonin is made in the gut, so you might watch your gut health (e.g. take probiotics, avoid Splenda, etc.).
Can you explain this a little bit, please? I don't understand, and I'd like to!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I did just that, increased my fat the last couple days because I had not lost in a couple weeks of strict low carb. And BAM!! kicked right back into fat burning mode.

I also bought keto strips and have been in deep purple for a couple weeks, just not losing. I read on another thread that I shouldn't even pay attention to those. So I'll just go on how I feel.

I did low carb for over a year with much ease and took a small break when I was on a commercial fishing vessel (didn't really have a choice)
It's just much harder this time around to make goal.
BUT I am always up for a good challenge!!
Sorry for rambling haha
Let me clarify what I said a little bit after I've thought it over for your situation.

I think I'd eat extra protein rather than fat with this artificial hunger issue.

The reason is entirely calories. Fat is very calorie dense. And with a hunger like this you cannot count on your body's "I are full" response to reign in your appetite which means you'll eat a *lot* of calories.

On the other hand, if you binge on protein it is way more calorie friendly. There is a much better likelihood that your body will catch up with your mouth.

Google around for low protein meat but from my quick look it appears that really lean cuts of beef are probably the leanest least protein sources but I could be wrong.

Excess protein could knock you out of ketosis. But probably not and even if it does I don't believe it would be the same as carbs knocking you out of ketosis. Of course, if you are diabetic then it won't be safe to use protein like that - I guess but I'm not well read on it and ketoacidosis.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
Can you explain this a little bit, please? I don't understand, and I'd like to!
NY Times article: linky
Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Let me clarify what I said a little bit after I've thought it over for your situation.

I think I'd eat extra protein rather than fat with this artificial hunger issue.

The reason is entirely calories. Fat is very calorie dense. And with a hunger like this you cannot count on your body's "I are full" response to reign in your appetite which means you'll eat a *lot* of calories.

On the other hand, if you binge on protein it is way more calorie friendly. There is a much better likelihood that your body will catch up with your mouth.

Google around for low protein meat but from my quick look it appears that really lean cuts of beef are probably the leanest least protein sources but I could be wrong.

Excess protein could knock you out of ketosis. But probably not and even if it does I don't believe it would be the same as carbs knocking you out of ketosis. Of course, if you are diabetic then it won't be safe to use protein like that - I guess but I'm not well read on it and ketoacidosis.
Ok so more protein while watching my calories? sorry this is kinda confusing to me. I have pretty good will power when it comes to not eating after I hit my limit in fat/protein but not sure what's too much.
I've done lots of searching on this site and it seems high fat works for some and high protein works well for others. I have a carb diet app on my phone and have been adding everything I eat for a little over a month now.

So in the last month I averaged 1600-1700 in cals, 120-140 fat and anywhere from 60-115 in protein. under 20 net carbs.

There was a couple days I even got 2000 cal, almost 200g fat and 140 pro.

The last couple days Im at 1600 cal, 65 pro, and 145 fat. about 10 net carbs. I finally saw the scale move and I think it would be easier to eat like that.

does that look like an HUGE amount of fat?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ok so more protein while watching my calories? sorry this is kinda confusing to me. I have pretty good will power when it comes to not eating after I hit my limit in fat/protein but not sure what's too much.
I've done lots of searching on this site and it seems high fat works for some and high protein works well for others. I have a carb diet app on my phone and have been adding everything I eat for a little over a month now.

So in the last month I averaged 1600-1700 in cals, 120-140 fat and anywhere from 60-115 in protein. under 20 net carbs.

There was a couple days I even got 2000 cal, almost 200g fat and 140 pro.

The last couple days Im at 1600 cal, 65 pro, and 145 fat. about 10 net carbs. I finally saw the scale move and I think it would be easier to eat like that.

does that look like an HUGE amount of fat?
Sorry if I was not clear.

The context of what I am saying is entirely about the medication making you hungry when you otherwise would not be hungry.

So, if the medicine is making you hungry then, for you in this situation, I think protein is more appropriate for the reasons I gave in the original post.

For example, that day you got to 2000 calories with 200g Fat and 140g Protein....

You could have eaten 280g of protein, twice as much as 140g!, for 1120 calories versus the 1800! calories you ate with 200g of Fat.

Now, look at that from a quantity perspective. 280g of protein from a moderate protein source is ... ... ... ... 46 OUNCES of meat!!! Wow! And that is eating the whole 280g which is pretty unlikely I'd say. Even if you did you'd still clock in about 700 calories less!

To be clear, it is only because of the artificial appetite resulting from the medicine. If it weren't for that situation then my suggestion would be insane.

If the medicine doesn't make you hungry then it is business as usual.