Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Abstainer, from bitter experience.

In 2002 and 2007, I lost 50+ pounds, and gained it all back, with interest. In the past year and a half, I've turned 85 pounds over to the care of God. I gave up the first 45 folllowing Atkins Induction, with the support of this list. But last September, I started giving in to social eat-cues. Just a taste here and there, but I was rapidly sliding back face-down into the food.

I began going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings. Their addiction paradigm made it clear to me. I'm just like an alcoholic when it comes to refined carbohydrates. I'm also a binge eater, and I can overeat just about any kind of food. Every morning, I email my sponsor a list of what and how much I ate the day before, to keep myself honest about how much I'm eating, and when a new trigger is emerging from among previously "safe" foods. My bottom-line abstinence has been no sugar, no starch, and no alcohol. I got my one-year medallion Sunday night. I could never have done this by myself.

I've certainly had cravings, carb dreams, and all the old "eat!" excuses playing through my head. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can have the food I want, or the life I want, but not both. It's like having a cranky kid. If you give into the tantrums sometimes, you teach him that if he screams loud and long enough, he'll get whatever he wants. But if he learns from experience that the answer is always going to be "no," eventually he'll stop wasting his energy.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can have the food I want, or the life I want, but not both. It's like having a cranky kid. If you give into the tantrums sometimes, you teach him that if he screams loud and long enough, he'll get whatever he wants. But if he learns from experience that the answer is always going to be "no," eventually he'll stop wasting his energy."

Whoa! Bravo Doug K!!! I love that, truly an aha moment for me!

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-10-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I can cheat but can NEVER EVER can cheat with sugar. If I do the cravings will come back and I will be at the 24 hour grocery at 3am buying jellybeans again.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote