LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
I really do think it's a personality issue ... It is far, FAR more difficult for me to get back on the wagon than it is to just stay on the darn thing in the first place. Like Ravenrose said, one cheat is the kiss of death.
^^^ this ^^^
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
Quote:
But I think that makes you both moderators. You can have a cheat day, and in fact you need cheat days and plan them in, and then you hop right back on, right?

We true abstainers just cannot do that. I wish that I could, but I truly can't. I was not exaggerating when I said that one cheat meal will turn into a cheat month for me. I am truly better off accepting that I'm never going to eat {insert carby food here} again, because those foods in moderation, or pigging out on them for one planned cheat meal, is just not going to happen for me. When I experience cravings, I cannot tell myself to wait for my cheat day, I have to tell myself to accept that it just ain't gonna happen. Ever. Period. That's the only way I can achieve my optimum weight, health, and success. That's what has made the difference with my last re-start of low-carb. Before, I would allow cheats, and I would go on again, off again, over and over. I finally accepted that cheating can never happen for me, and I've been low-carb consistently and successfully ever since.
I think that's probably accurate. I do tend to think of myself as an abstainer in the sense that for the 20 out of 21 days that I'm on plan I never have even the tiniest cheat. The moderator part of me is the part that lets me be so utterly, compulsively rigid...because I can look towards that day when anything goes, so to speak.

I find it interesting that having given myself this freedom, I don't go nuts on my days off. I have some of the things that I miss the most, but I don't binge, and sometimes I skip the day off, knowing that one more week won't hurt. A lot of what makes me work for this is the idea, the knowledge that I have that day in the future. Weird, and it's really about playing headgames with myself...but for me it works.

A meatball never says, "look at me, aren't I clever?" A meatball just says, "eat me".

Nigel Slater - The Kitchen Diaries
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
Great thread! Love it when we can express deeply held principles, disagree and yet not be shrill!

I am absolutely an abstainer. This may sound crazy, but its like if I eat sugar, I am drowned in a sea of denial. I get out of control and like others have shared, I wake from my denial up 40-50 pounds a year later thinking, "Huh? What happened?!?"

As some of you have heard me say before, there are certain foods I simply do not eat. Cake, pies, cookies, potatoes...nope. For me I can live better with the idea of never eating them than trying to decide when I should have them, Also, because my abuse of those types of foods has brought so much pain to my life, I cannot see them as "treats", just poison. Deciding to get serious about controlling my diabetes helps me stay with my principles.
I sometimes wish I could be a moderator...I also wish I was a billionare..ain't gonna happen...so I guess its best for me to live within my financial AND carb budget to have the life I desire!

Last edited by Annie75; 10-03-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I find it interesting that so many people say that they're abstainers because a single cheat meal will cause them to totally go off plan. Almost like a newly quit smoker having one cigarette, or an alcoholic having one drink. It almost confirms the theory that food is a form of addiction for some people. I find that very interesting....... However, for those with diabetes or some other medical condition, I totally understand that it's more a matter of immediate health, and not just preference.

Now for me, I can very easily return to eating properly after a cheat meal. In fact, I feel strengthened after being able to have a little bit of something "forbidden". Getting back on track the very next meal is easy for me and I find it hard to believe I am in the minority. Do I have better willpower? I doubt it. Am I a stronger person? Hardly unlikely. I guess it's just a personal thing that makes one follow one way or another, and in all manners of things what works well for one may not work well for another.

More power to us all.........
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #65

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
We are looking at this like it's a personality difference. I think a lot of it is genuinely metabolic/physical. For someone like me who has to move heaven and earth to get into ketosis, basically eating NO carbs and almost no protein for a week or more, a cheat with carbs is insane. It means that horrible hunger and all for a few weeks, all over again. If someone's body doesn't react badly to a little carbage, I would say they are less likely to find they have slid into non-adherence oblivion.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherBel View Post
I
I find it interesting that having given myself this freedom, I don't go nuts on my days off. I have some of the things that I miss the most, but I don't binge, and sometimes I skip the day off, knowing that one more week won't hurt. A lot of what makes me work for this is the idea, the knowledge that I have that day in the future. Weird, and it's really about playing headgames with myself...but for me it works.
That is fantastic! Very cool that this works for you.

I was thinking about this thread, and did remember ONE TIME that I was able to cheat without falling off the wagon. Literally every other cheat that I've ever done, whether planned or impulsive, led to trouble. I wish I could figure out what was different about that one time, but I do not have a clue.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
We are looking at this like it's a personality difference. I think a lot of it is genuinely metabolic/physical. For someone like me who has to move heaven and earth to get into ketosis, basically eating NO carbs and almost no protein for a week or more, a cheat with carbs is insane. It means that horrible hunger and all for a few weeks, all over again. If someone's body doesn't react badly to a little carbage, I would say they are less likely to find they have slid into non-adherence oblivion.
Hmmm. . . . Yeah, could be. Maybe moderators just don't suffer the same physical consequences that abstainers do. One cheat for me produces intense cravings for days. It's like every cell in my body SCREAMS for more, so loudly that ignoring it just isn't feasible. It's crazy, because those foods hurt me so much, my digestion, my blood sugar, everything goes wonky. And yet for days afterward, I just want more, more, MORE!

So, you moderation types out there, tell me... Does your body whisper for cheat foods rather than scream for them? Or are you just better at tuning it out than I am?

Greta
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #68
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Hmmm. . . . Yeah, could be. Maybe moderators just don't suffer the same physical consequences that abstainers do. One cheat for me produces intense cravings for days. It's like every cell in my body SCREAMS for more, so loudly that ignoring it just isn't feasible. It's crazy, because those foods hurt me so much, my digestion, my blood sugar, everything goes wonky. And yet for days afterward, I just want more, more, MORE!

So, you moderation types out there, tell me... Does your body whisper for cheat foods rather than scream for them? Or are you just better at tuning it out than I am?
I can eat carbs, within reason, as long as I keep my overall calories in the right range, without gaining weight. I just don't lose. And I find it harder to keep my calories in that range if I eat carbs. That "not gain" is what causes me the biggest problems, honestly, because I think "I ate that cupcake yesterday, and I'm the same weight today, so I can eat X today and be fine." And, to some extent that's true, as long as I'm content with maintaining. Right now, I still want to lose more. So I respond to my cravings, by essentially making a deal with myself that "I can have nachos (my current craving) when X happens."

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vanillayo
Stats: 308/280/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie75 View Post
Great thread! Love it when we can express deeply held principles, disagree and yet not be shrill!

I am absolutely an abstainer. This may sound crazy, but its like if I eat sugar, I am drowned in a sea of denial. I get out of control and like others have shared, I wake from my denial up 40-50 pounds a year later thinking, "Huh? What happened?!?"

As some of you have heard me say before, there are certain foods I simply do not eat. Cake, pies, cookies, potatoes...nope. For me I can live better with the idea of never eating them than trying to decide when I should have them, Also, because my abuse of those types of foods has brought so much pain to my life, I cannot see them as "treats", just poison. Deciding to get serious about controlling my diabetes helps me stay with my principles.
I sometimes wish I could be a moderator...I also wish I was a billionare..ain't gonna happen...so I guess its best for me to live within my financial AND carb budget to have the life I desire!
This is so me! My mother and I were talking about how it has to be something that you can do for the rest of your life. I don't think I will ever be able to add processed sugar carbs back into my WOE because I am truly addicted to them. I cheated last week and had 3 cookies. The next morning it was like I had a hangover. They didn't even tast good when I was eating them. I just have to keep it in my brain that I can't eat that way anymore.
vanillayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I don't necessarily crave cheat foods, and I don't buy any cheat foods for the home. My cheats are usually eating out meals, and maybe that makes the difference.

Honestly, the day after a cheat meal I do feel a bit more hunger, but being an intermittent faster, I have become really adept at tuning it out. I just deal with it by drinking more water.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulover View Post
For me, "sugar" and "in moderation" are mutually exclusive. So yeah, I'm very much an abstainer. It does make me a social outcast sometimes (like someone mentioned above, no one invites you to diner parties...), but my health is more important to me. No one wold expect an abstinent alcoholic to have "just one glass, just for that special occasion", would they? That's how I feel about sugar.
I'm an abstainer but I don't tell myself that I can't have certain food anymore like chips or doritos, or tortillas etc. I tell myself I don't want those things anymore. I tell myself they no longer give me that fix that they used to, and that I don't enjoy them as much as I used to which is all true. So I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of those things, I remind myself that I no longer want those things and then I remind myself of the condition I was in when I was bigger and that doritos, tortillas, candy or whatever = that condition when I was bigger. So doritios equals bigger size and not being as healthy as I am now etc. It's not worth it.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #72
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Great thread, and interesting to read the thoughts of folks here and how they approach their diets, what works the most dependably for them, etc.

I'm one of the moderate dieters here.. probably the reason my food plan works so comfortably for me. I find that when I follow my plan, it can be at any carb-protein-fat level as long as the total calorie numbers are respected. Somehow I focus more on the total food for the day, and that takes away my focus on any one chosen part of my meal. So if a carb is included, when it's done, it's over. That's it.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #73

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I'm an abstainer but I don't tell myself that I can't have certain food anymore like chips or doritos, or tortillas etc. I tell myself I don't want those things anymore. I tell myself they no longer give me that fix that they used to, and that I don't enjoy them as much as I used to which is all true. So I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of those things, I remind myself that I no longer want those things and then I remind myself of the condition I was in when I was bigger and that doritos, tortillas, candy or whatever = that condition when I was bigger. So doritios equals bigger size and not being as healthy as I am now etc. It's not worth it.
I could have written this! My biggest pet peeve anymore is people who say, Go ahead and treat yourself this time......you do not know what your missing......if you don't eat that your depriving yourself. GRRRRRRRRRR NO I want to scream! Truth is I DO NOT WANT to eat that!

Abstainer for over 8 years

Last edited by SkeeterN; 10-04-2012 at 01:48 PM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
This is a very interesting thread to me, for several reasons.

I've contemplated what kind of cheat I would do IF I cheated - would a flour-based or sugar-based cheat be easier for me to recover from? I believe that I have some gluten intolerance, as my body has reacted so well to the lack of gluten in my life (arthritis in my hands gone, IBS gone, etc.). I used to say that I could eat a never-ending amount of certain foods: thin crust cheese pizza and sugar cookies being the two I always mentioned first. Mmmm, wheat addiction, right there. I don't think I can go back to wheat-based things, because it is just so nice to not have my hands be in constant pain.

Sugar, on the other hand: this is where I see potential pitfalls. I miss creamy puddings and ice creams and such. I tell myself that it's something I can have in moderation when I've reached my goal - at that point I will eat like a thin person, having an indulgence once in a while, not as part of my daily routine.

LC is my new WOE, not a diet I'm on. My best friend goes on a different diet plan every week. After being 120-130 for her entire life, she's put on 30 pounds in 5 years and is miserable. She will do something for a week and then go out to eat and not even even explore how to eat low-carb on a menu. Last night she had baked ziti. I looked t the menu and found four options she could have had instead. Her mind isn't there, and therefore she isn't prepared to be successful.

I am also married to a recovering alcoholic so I am very very familiar with the moderator vs abstainer conflict. He cannot drink - end of story. As the saying goes - a thousand's not enough, and one is too many. Same with me, right now, on food that isn't part of my WOE.

So, I am a practicing abstainer with the mind of one day being a moderator. That may not happen. It's sort of like my goal-weight: I have a number in mind, but I won't know if that's it until I get there. In the meanwhile, I'll just keep plugging along...
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #75
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
This is a very interesting thread to me, for several reasons.

I've contemplated what kind of cheat I would do IF I cheated - would a flour-based or sugar-based cheat be easier for me to recover from? I believe that I have some gluten intolerance, as my body has reacted so well to the lack of gluten in my life (arthritis in my hands gone, IBS gone, etc.). I used to say that I could eat a never-ending amount of certain foods: thin crust cheese pizza and sugar cookies being the two I always mentioned first. Mmmm, wheat addiction, right there. I don't think I can go back to wheat-based things, because it is just so nice to not have my hands be in constant pain.

Sugar, on the other hand: this is where I see potential pitfalls. I miss creamy puddings and ice creams and such. I tell myself that it's something I can have in moderation when I've reached my goal - at that point I will eat like a thin person, having an indulgence once in a while, not as part of my daily routine.

LC is my new WOE, not a diet I'm on. My best friend goes on a different diet plan every week. After being 120-130 for her entire life, she's put on 30 pounds in 5 years and is miserable. She will do something for a week and then go out to eat and not even even explore how to eat low-carb on a menu. Last night she had baked ziti. I looked t the menu and found four options she could have had instead. Her mind isn't there, and therefore she isn't prepared to be successful.

I am also married to a recovering alcoholic so I am very very familiar with the moderator vs abstainer conflict. He cannot drink - end of story. As the saying goes - a thousand's not enough, and one is too many. Same with me, right now, on food that isn't part of my WOE.

So, I am a practicing abstainer with the mind of one day being a moderator. That may not happen. It's sort of like my goal-weight: I have a number in mind, but I won't know if that's it until I get there. In the meanwhile, I'll just keep plugging along...

What I read in your post is the 'evolution' that many people experience. It is something that one does not begin with but over time, comes to a place that is comfortable.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I'm a moderator for sure. I take monthly carbcations when I visit family out of town. It gives me something to look forward to. I have no problem getting back on track when the carbcation ends.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

I'm one of the moderate dieters here.. probably the reason my food plan works so comfortably for me. ... So if a carb is included, when it's done, it's over. That's it.
Same here. Maintaining with JUDDD now (Yay JUDDD) but was a moderator during WL as well. Several people here used to have sigs that said something like - eat to lose the way you plan to maintain. I knew I wanted moderation once the weight was gone so I included it along the way. It taught me how to maintain and as a result maintenance has been a breeze.
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #78

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
Same here. Maintaining with JUDDD now (Yay JUDDD) but was a moderator during WL as well. Several people here used to have sigs that said something like - eat to lose the way you plan to maintain. I knew I wanted moderation once the weight was gone so I included it along the way. It taught me how to maintain and as a result maintenance has been a breeze.
I think you make a very good point here. Every once-in-awhile we read somebody who says, "I'll save that until I'm in maintenance" - "I don't eat that right now but plan to when I'm in maintenance" - "Right now I'm concentrating on losing the weight, but when I'm at goal I'll start including those foods"... Kinda' scary. I guess it just sounds like there's no transition. They'll abstain and then hit goal and start including.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-06-2012 at 03:43 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post

Absolutely!!!

That's the secret, I believe! You have to find something that you can live with FOREVER. Not just use to lose those extra lbs and then start adding foods that will set one back on the road to weight gain.

In the past I found that maintaining was the hardest part. Not knowing what to add and what not to add was very difficult for me. Since I started on the path of moderation, with a carby meal only when the occasion called for it, I have definitely found something that can be lived with on an ongoing basis.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
This is a great thread Enjoyed reading all the responses because it confirms how individualized LC can and should be.

I'll say I'm a moderator, although my "off plan" indulgences are things like a child's size serving of ice cream after a very-low-carb meal. If I occasionally eat something with a few more carbs, I eat fewer the following day.
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #81
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I'd say I am a combination of both.

I am an abstainer by choice 99% of the time but I am fine with an occasional indulgence (Cheat is a negative word I do not believe in using when referring to nutritional choices.) For example, I had a couple margaritas with friends when out a couple months ago. I haven't had a drink since & probably won't until the holidays (I've turned down drinks several times recently, including today.). I'm happy & satisfied with the food I eat so I don't go looking for unhealthy choices.

I've discovered I have food sensitivities when it comes to wheat so it is unlikely I will be wanting to indulge in breads, cakes, cookies, junk food, etc. I really don't think a carby treat that is gobbled up in no time is worth the price I would pay - my itching all over for the next several days. Works better than any diet pill ever invented!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I'm definitely on the moderate end of the spectrum but I never, ever "cheat." I just always choose the lowest carb option available. Corn? No thanks. Tomato slices? Sure, pass them my way. I don't indulge in wheat or sugar based treats but I can (and have) eat the equivalent of my body weight in almonds. On occasion people will ask me how many carbs I have on a daily basis - I have no idea. I just know how to identify the lower/lowest carb foods and then I have my way with them.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
I'm an abstainer (well, except for alcohol). I have been having dreams about pizza, submarine sandwiches and Cheetos. I don't think I could get back on the wagon if I let myself eat that crap, but the thought of never, ever eating it again depresses me no end.

I guess I'm lucky that wheat makes my skin horrible, because everything I crave has wheat in it, and the thought of paying with weight gain and acne has kept me on track.

I'm trying to change my tastes by avoiding low-carb versions of high-carb foods (e.g. artificial sweeteners, grain substitutes, etc.). I'm hoping that after a few weeks of strictly eating real food that crappy "foods" will become unappealing.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hagrid's Dad
Stats: 290ish/197/185 (5' 10", 41 y.o.)
WOE: Primal/Atkins (dairy, but no sweeteners)
Start Date: June 23rd, 2011.
I'm mostly an abstainer -- it's just easier. Deciding that I don't eat grains just takes those objects out of the category of food and makes all the subsequent decisions easier.

On the other hand, on special occasions, I will *taste* a dessert. A tiny dab on the end of a spoon is really enough to get the taste in your mouth if you swish it around and pay attention to it. And it's nice to remember what ice cream and chocolate taste like. But that taste is all I have, and it's all I need -- and it comes guilt free.

There can't be more than a carb in a gram of *anything*, no matter how decadent the dessert.

Goals: 265 (7/30/11) 250 (9/7/11) 240 (10/6/11) 225 (11/16/11) 200 (7/21/12)
Still to come: 185
Hagrid's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Miles
I've found its all or nothing for me. Whenever I try the "moderation" or "balance" it results in a full blown binge.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I went away to a conference last week and maintained LC, at first. Then in the exhibits hall every single one of the vendors had bowls of halloween candy...I started taking handfuls from every table telling everyone (and myself) that my bf has a big sweet tooth and he'll love getting these...back at the hotel, bf still hadn't eaten any of the candy at 10ish pm...I started on it and ate nearly every single piece of it. I was like an addict unwrapping and popping the little bite size thingies in my mouth. Then I said what the hell, and ate cheetos, fast food sandwiches with buns and french fries. This went on for two days. On Saturday after we got home I went back to LC and have been doing well since. I have to say that every single time I've cheated in the past has been the kiss of death. This time I'm happy to say I was able to reign it in. Whew!!! One cheat over a month's time on LC...not too bad.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have no problem getting back on track when the carbcation ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I've found its all or nothing for me. Whenever I try the "moderation" or "balance" it results in a full blown binge.
I thought that these two contrasting statements nicely summed up the difference between abstainers and moderators. This whole conversation has been really interesting. I've enjoyed reading all the different perspectives.

Wishing everyone success in their approach,
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I have really evolved from being a person who would let one cheat derail her for MONTHS, into a pretty good moderator. The key for me is to weigh every single day. It keeps me accountable and I know that I have to face the consequences, so I can't just cheat and then hide (which usually leads to more cheating). My strategy now is to have a really modest monthly weight goal. Once I reach that (even if not on time), I have a looser carb day. For instance, I just reached my monthly goal for September, so I am planning on having some treats on Thursday when some friends gather to watch the debate. I'll probably eat either Indian food, with some rice and bread, or indulge in a few slices of pizza. Next day, back on plan until the next goal is attained. Works for me.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Me, a moderator? HAHAHAHHA. No clue what that word means.

I am an abstainer.

it's all or nothing for me unfortunately.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I vascillate between the two. Some seasons of my life I am an abstained and do great, other times I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth and out of the diet groove, so being a moderator to maintains my losses for a bit helps my sanity. I need to err closer to the abstainer side, or the pounds don't come off.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote