Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I used to be an abstainer and it was really hard for me. I had cravings for sweets all day long. But, I lost weight, for a while. Then, it didn't matter how low my carbs were, I wouldn't get into ketosis. I could go for three days without a carb and my ketostix were saying 'nothing'.

I wasn't losing weight like that, so I started exercising. I had gotten out of shape and it took a few months to where I was able to do a decent workout.

But, I noticed that I was sooooo drained, that I had to slow way down during my workouts (about 6 a week). I can't lose weight like that, either.

So, I upped my carbs a little. I have a banana, and maybe a half cup of mashed potatoes, or sweet potatos, or beans, and then I can workout fine.

I have to make sure I eat enough potassium, which is in bananas, avocados, yogurt, etc. etc. And, I started upping my salt intake. So far so good.

On weekends, I allow myself 'splurges', like potato chips, even cherry pie (sugar free). Well, the cherry pie is a big mistake. It's soooooo good, I just eat the whole thing. Same with the chips.

So, I'm switching to microwave popcorn, the small bags. I like the cheese ones and it's not as bad as eating Doritos or Cheetos. So, I can have an 'indulgence' but not blow the diet.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vanillayo
Stats: 308/280/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 28, 2012
When I was doing WW I had 1 cheat day a week usually Saturdays. I also didn't lose much weight. Since I started LCing I have had 3 cheat foods but a few times have eaten on plan but just at more. The cheat foods made me feel like crap! Just eating more didn't really affect me and a couple times I did lose a lb. or 2 the next day and they stayed off. Was it because I ate more? Who knows, I'm just glad I lost!
vanillayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Marieze - a dessert that I have "on plan" is the chocolate Reddi-Whip with a pecan on top After my dinner, I pop one in my mouth and it melts like ice cream and then the crunchy from the pecan is heaven! Try it!

Take a cookie sheet, dollop 2 squirts (2 tbsp) for each one and place a pecan on each and freeze them. It is 30 cals and 1g carb each if I remember correctly. I know there are 210 cals and 4g carbs for 1/4 cup of the Diamond pecan halves and 15 cals and less than 1g carb for the 2 tbsp of Reddi-Whip. I get about 14 choco-pecan treats.
Thanks so much Rosebud
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I typically have one cheat day each month. But I can't keep any non-plan food in the house either. It is really all or nothing for me, but I can switch fairly easily and have not so far been tempted to chuck it all and go back to full time carbage. It works for me because I'm never more than 30 days away from allowing myself Doritos and orange juice for a day if I really want them. And if I know it is coming, I can wait.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Abstainer. I cannot eat carbs in moderation. Every time leads to a binge, sometimes lasting months. I'm back re-losing what I regained over the past three months off track...
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have only been LCing for nearly 3 weeks (tomorrow). However, this is the longest I've been able to stick with ANY WOE other than the typical high carb/sugary American diet. I have not cheated, except I have allowed myself wine on the weekend. I have never lost more than 15 lbs ever on any WOE, so I am looking forward to seeing where this lifestyle takes me.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
Am I a moderator or an abstainer?

The answer is: Yes. Most definitely!

I'm also a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner.

I bet you are also a lot of fun to be around!
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I'm an abstainer. It's all or nothing for me! I know that one apple slice, cookie or french fry will send me down the slippery slope of "just one more won't hurt".
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I don't know what I would call myself. I think it's ok to eat a higher carb meal now and then as long as you get back on track after. I try not to cheat too much, for me it's a bit of a slippery slope. One day I'm just having a bite of potato salad, the next one cookie...and before you know it I'm eating a high carb diet everyday and gaining a lot. If I have a cheat I try to plan it. And I plan it at a certain time, I've had cheat days before and I just eat too much junk food for the ENTIRE day. I do better if I just plan a high carb meal ahead of time. Like this week, a friend wanted to go out for sushi and I said ok, it was her birthday and that's what she wanted. I know I won't go and just eat the sashimi, I will eat the nigiri and the maki also. So I figured on a planned high carb meal at the sushi place. As it turns out, we aren't going, so I will not eat that meal. I'm kind of rambling on an on here....but I think what I'm basically saying is that I try to abstain from carbs most of the time...but if I have a high carb meal now and then I don't sweat it.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Thanks for the interesting topic, Ravenrose, it's interesting to see so many variations in the way people manage their plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Abstainer. I cannot eat carbs in moderation. Every time leads to a binge, sometimes lasting months. I'm back re-losing what I regained over the past three months off track...
Likewise - I've been months off track this year and must have re-gained at least 30lbs. I think I 'treated' myself to pizza after moving house in July last year and have been on a very unpleasant rollercoaster ever since.

Absolutely no question - 'just this once' becomes a slippery slope for me and before I know it, there's an avalanche!

It's easier for me to abstain.
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
I'm an Abstainer. I do better to just stay away from certain things. It's easier to say no all the time than to try to figure out which times I can "cheat" and which times I better not, plus I feel like it's easy to lose track and end up on a slippery slope. So the only time I have slip ups is when I'm backed in a corner or caught off guard and there's nothing low carb around to eat. Mostly happens when I'm eating at someone's house.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I"m both. Holiday time I have to be an abstainer at work. Cookies one day, turns into brownies the next and then carrot cake the next. My work is horrible for bringing in food all the way from October to January. I cannot eat it or down the mountain I roll. The rest of the time I can moderate, albiet VERY slightly. I can eat a bite or 2, but no more.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tofulover
Stats: 220/177/165 (at 6')
WOE: Vegetarian/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
For me, "sugar" and "in moderation" are mutually exclusive. So yeah, I'm very much an abstainer. It does make me a social outcast sometimes (like someone mentioned above, no one invites you to diner parties...), but my health is more important to me. No one wold expect an abstinent alcoholic to have "just one glass, just for that special occasion", would they? That's how I feel about sugar.
Tofulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I've noticed some people say abstainer during loss, and moderator during maintenance. But for me, it's abstainer all the way. I suspect that if you can successfully be a moderator during maintenance, then you're really a moderator at heart, and you just had to be more firm and disciplined during weight loss.

I really do think it's a personality issue, and even though I'm in maintenance now and not losing any more, I absolutely have to be an abstainer. One cheat meal turns into a cheat month. It is far, FAR more difficult for me to get back on the wagon than it is to just stay on the darn thing in the first place. Like Ravenrose said, one cheat is the kiss of death.

I'm not talking about on-plan indulgences here. I'll indulge in something more expensive and gourmet, or an occasional low-carb dessert, but still within my plan, and that's not a problem at all. I'm talking about foods outside of my plan, or an amount of carbs over the limit of what I know my body can handle. That is not something I am capable of dealing with in moderation. It's all or nothing.

A moderator says to herself, "I can't imagine the rest of my life without tortilla chips, so I'll have occasional cheats.". But an abstainer says, "I know my choices are to never eat tortilla chips again, or death by tortilla chips. I'll never eat tortilla chips again." I am definitely the latter!

Greta

Last edited by Gretalyn; 10-03-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
I am an abstainer. I'm in weight loss mode, so I'm keeping it in the realm of induction/OWL (have only added in nuts/nut butters). There is nothing that I miss enough that I can't pull up my big girl pants and get over it. I want to be thin again.
I do miss getting awesome sushi rolls or summer rolls, but NOW my husband just has to spend more $$ on me to get a big plate of sashimi! That's ok with me, he doesn't spend much on me otherwise! lol
I mean honestly, I could polish off some spicy doritos. But I won't. The msg would make me feel terrible and I'd just feel fat and gross.
Idk, maybe I've "grown up" as far as food goes. I don't have an emotional attachment to carby crap anymore. I like my steak and mushrooms. I like fat bombs and creamy cheeses and olives.
And most recipes can easily be de-carbed and end up being far better than their carby counterpart. For example, I'm testing out a cauliflower-based 'stuffing' recipe this week to see if it would be nice for thanksgiving. I never liked bready stuffing anyway, but I love cauliflower and it should be pretty good. It's not too difficult to find substitutions, so personally I see no reason to eat junk.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #46
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Both approaches work for me: I'm an abstainer until I give myself a full day off every so often.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleome
Stats: 230/184/130
WOE: Metformin+LowCarb/HypothyroidHealth
Start Date: September 2009
I'm clearly a moderator. That would explain the multitude of half-drunk diet root beer cans I keep finding.
cleome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: Whatever I feel like that day....
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Thanks for the thought provoking question and I’ll look at the article! Although this is how my brain works, for me life and eating can’t be black/white, good/bad, off/on. If this is something I am learning to do forever then I need to learn how to make it manageable for me. I can’t be an abstainer – it’s against the grain of who I am. If I feel deprived I will rebel, and I have many years of up and down weight to prove that fact! I live for fun, socializing and good times, and I equate that to food and drink. Yes, I know I am working on that limiting belief. But still, I will choose and work to being a moderator but I have to change my perception of what I can moderate on. For me it isn’t just about the pounds and the typical overweight health issues it brings (knee and back pain, higher BP and cholesterol, etc.) along with the emotional issues. I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease, and through all my research I now realize how important it is for me to be gluten free. So, where the old me would “cheat” on beer and a hot dog with a bun at a festival, I am choosing not to do that anymore until I see if being gluten free works for me and relieves some of my symptoms.

My moderation technique so that I don’t feel deprived is having some wine most evenings and a low carb healthy sweet treat from Maria Emmerich’s Nutritious and Delicious cookbook.. These carbs are included in my plan.. and the only other carbs are from veggies and incidental from eggs, cheese. I am learning how to be assertive when going to someone’s home so that I don’t feel compelled to cheat. I bring something I can eat. When they are having dessert I dig out a “healthified” chocolate muffin out of my purse.

I have only just recently restarted, so am no expert… but I am armed with a bunch more information than I have been in the past. A cheat isn’t just a cheat anymore. I will definitely overdo it in the future with things I have given the green light on, and I will enjoy every minute of it. I will NOT weight myself the next day or two to prevent the emotions that accompany a gain. I WILL brush myself off and get back on track and not beat myself up.

Thanks for listening!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I am an abstainer. One of anything usually leads to more and more. Moderation does not work for me. Having said that, I do sometimes overeat LC food when I am super stressed.

I've been seriously LC since 9/2010. One holiday I had 2 inches off a slice of very thin crust pizza. Another holiday I had about 1/4" of homemade nut roll. Those items did not derail me, but I know the effect of one donut, one dish of fruit, etc. I simply can't stop eating - today is 1, tomorrow is 2, before I know it, I am eating 6.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
I've noticed some people say abstainer during loss, and moderator during maintenance. But for me, it's abstainer all the way. I suspect that if you can successfully be a moderator during maintenance, then you're really a moderator at heart, and you just had to be more firm and disciplined during weight loss.
Gretalyn - Respectfully, I have to DISAGREE. For someone who is starting out like myself who is currently 251 lbs should not be entertaining the idea of having "cheat treats" outside of the plan. It is different for those who start out in the 200-300s and higher and eventually get to 160 or 140 and then begin to moderate because they have had the time to PSYCHOLOGICALLY get to know their body, triggers, get used to and now have that EXPERIENCE from this woe to be able to handle moderating a higher carb intake whether it is a pasta dinner at your favorite restaurant or a couple of slivers of your favorite cake. I think the thought of it being ok to have cheat treats is a major factor behind so many failures and frustrations during the weightloss phase of any plan/woe. Most are just not ready to handle moderation during the weightloss phase.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
Both approaches work for me: I'm an abstainer until I give myself a full day off every so often.
This describes me as well. I simply cannot imagine never ever ever having, say, bread. When I have cravings I can tell myself that I'll have some on my day off, which is typically one day every three weeks or so. I plan those days in advance, and eat whatever I want. For one day. Does this slow me down....frankly, I don't care. It's how this plan works for me.

(For the rest of the time I'm very abstemious; almost compulsive, in fact.)
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Gretalyn - Respectfully, I have to DISAGREE. For someone who is starting out like myself who is currently 251 lbs should not be entertaining the idea of having "cheat treats" outside of the plan. It is different for those who start out in the 200-300s and higher and eventually get to 160 or 140 and then begin to moderate because they have had the time to PSYCHOLOGICALLY get to know their body, triggers, get used to and now have that EXPERIENCE from this woe to be able to handle moderating a higher carb intake whether it is a pasta dinner at your favorite restaurant or a couple of slivers of your favorite cake. I think the thought of it being ok to have cheat treats is a major factor behind so many failures and frustrations during the weightloss phase of any plan/woe. Most are just not ready to handle moderation during the weightloss phase.
Respectful disagreements are always welcome. You bring up some very good points, and you may well be right. I was thinking of it more as just a fundamental built-in personality thing, because my husband and I are such a contrast in this regard. I'm a tee-totaler, while he does all things in moderation. And I'm not just talking about food, but many, many things in life. So it seems to me to just be part of the way our brains are constructed. But in other circumstances, maybe a person can learn to be a moderator after a period of strict abstinence. Interesting discussion!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
I do believe that I also am in agreement with you, Rosebud. About respectfully disagreeing. ...so I agree that I disagree. Respectfully.

I definitely could not have lost successfully as a moderator, because I was simply unable to handle such a responsibility as I learned what my body needed to successfully reform. I think it's possible to metamorphose from an abstainer to a moderator as one learns the inner-workings of one's body.

Funny that you mention getting to know your body psychologically, because that is such a true statement. Weight loss is far from a solely physical journey; I might even wager that it is equally psychological. I have most certainly been learning and experimenting both physically and psychologically with the effects of food on my consciousness and physical state. It's actually really cool. I feel like some sort of bizarre science experiment. I actually enjoy seeing how much weight is gained with an all-out low carb cheat day versus an all-out high carb cheat day. The freedom is exhilarating!

All that matters is I know the truth: that low carb is a sustainable way of eating for the long run, and that to keep this weight off, I stick to it. ...for the most part, at least.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherBel View Post
This describes me as well. I simply cannot imagine never ever ever having, say, bread. When I have cravings I can tell myself that I'll have some on my day off, which is typically one day every three weeks or so. I plan those days in advance, and eat whatever I want. For one day. Does this slow me down....frankly, I don't care. It's how this plan works for me.

(For the rest of the time I'm very abstemious; almost compulsive, in fact.)
But I think that makes you both moderators. You can have a cheat day, and in fact you need cheat days and plan them in, and then you hop right back on, right?

We true abstainers just cannot do that. I wish that I could, but I truly can't. I was not exaggerating when I said that one cheat meal will turn into a cheat month for me. I am truly better off accepting that I'm never going to eat {insert carby food here} again, because those foods in moderation, or pigging out on them for one planned cheat meal, is just not going to happen for me. When I experience cravings, I cannot tell myself to wait for my cheat day, I have to tell myself to accept that it just ain't gonna happen. Ever. Period. That's the only way I can achieve my optimum weight, health, and success. That's what has made the difference with my last re-start of low-carb. Before, I would allow cheats, and I would go on again, off again, over and over. I finally accepted that cheating can never happen for me, and I've been low-carb consistently and successfully ever since.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
But I think that makes you both moderators. You can have a cheat day, and in fact you need cheat days and plan them in, and then you hop right back on, right?

We true abstainers just cannot do that. I wish that I could, but I truly can't. I was not exaggerating when I said that one cheat meal will turn into a cheat month for me. I am truly better off accepting that I'm never going to eat {insert carby food here} again, because those foods in moderation, or pigging out on them for one planned cheat meal, is just not going to happen for me. When I experience cravings, I cannot tell myself to wait for my cheat day, I have to tell myself to accept that it just ain't gonna happen. Ever. Period. That's the only way I can achieve my optimum weight, health, and success. That's what has made the difference with my last re-start of low-carb. Before, I would allow cheats, and I would go on again, off again, over and over. I finally accepted that cheating can never happen for me, and I've been low-carb consistently and successfully ever since.
Awesome discussion, guys.

Okay, what about this. Maybe I was just such a low-grade of moderator that my moderation-type tendencies were hardly detectable. Sort of like starting out as a brass moderator and upgrading to platinum by the time I reached my goal weight.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulover View Post
For me, "sugar" and "in moderation" are mutually exclusive. So yeah, I'm very much an abstainer. It does make me a social outcast sometimes (like someone mentioned above, no one invites you to diner parties...), but my health is more important to me. No one wold expect an abstinent alcoholic to have "just one glass, just for that special occasion", would they? That's how I feel about sugar.

I am a sugarholic and it admitting it was my first step towards losing weight and changing my way of eating...I come from a family who is prone to dependancies so they are very tolerant of me as I am of them.

I am an abstainer...if I have one bite of something sweet and salty...got to keep going back for more. That being said I would not know this if I had not tried to be a moderator
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I am so much an abstainer that I will have my non low carb friends taste food more me...win win situation...if they tell me it's not worth a cheat I don't eat...if they tell me it is ....I run as fast as I can in the other direction...haha.
I don't want to lie tho...so I will say there are times once I was close to maintenence that I did indulge...like my daughter's wedding...I didn't want to miss out on anything and I almost missed out on the cake because I was to afraid to eat a piece early...I had a taste of both flavors and moved on ...because I made it a point to have just a small amount I think I savored it and truly tasted it more than others who just scarfed it down.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Hey Ya'll,

Once I have MATURED into this woe, I will definitely enjoy a big cinnamon roll here in Chicago from Ann Sather's slathered with thick, rich and buttery icing or a scoop of peach cobbler on occasion, believe me. LOL

For me, the weightloss phase is where I am taking control of both the sweet and savory demons and showing them whose the boss and the maintenance phase will be to manage but allow those treats on occcasion. I think it will be much easier for me to manage a 5 lb weight gain weighing 80-100 pounds less than creating frustration by slowing down my progress right now.

In addition to the weight loss I am also speaking in terms of controlling the many issues we attribute to the over consumption of sugar and high-carb junk.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-03-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Okay, what about this. Maybe I was just such a low-grade of moderator that my moderation-type tendencies were hardly detectable. Sort of like starting out as a brass moderator and upgrading to platinum by the time I reached my goal weight.
Sounds good to me! I can imagine that for some people, moderating could become refined and easier to do with practice. I'm just not one of those people, apparently.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I'm an abstainer who (purposefully) lies to myself that I can be a moderator. Nothing is 100% "off limits," or I would end up obsessing and bingeing. So what I do is tell myself "you can have that tomorrow." Knowing that I CAN have it is good enough to kill the craving 99.5% of the time.
Are we twins?

I choose to abstain when I tell myself I can moderate. If I tell myself I should abstain, I binge. So I am a moderator that abstains.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote