LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy623
Stats: Highest 199/150/148
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: January 2003
Shutting My Mouth-and I MEAN it!

I am done, done, done, talking about my eating plan to others! I just happened to mention "pork rinds" over the weekend to a few friends of ours and they did a pretty good job of scrutinizing me!!! "Oh they are fried!!!-Do you know how bad they are for you?"......blah blah blah "You should eat yogurt and fruit!" I really wanted to get up and run like the wind away from everybody!!!!!
This is the part you will love........I had to sit there and endure people telling me HOW to EAT properly for 30 minutes just because I mentioned how much I love pork rinds!!!
I cannot talk to anyone, anymore....I went home feeling like I was doing something wrong and everyone was just backing me into a corner.
Sure, you can tell these folks to read but will they......I think we all know the answer.
This is why Low Carb Friends is the ONLY salvation I have! This is just my cry out that nobody understands and most are NOT educated in the area.

A year from now, you may wish you had started today~Robert Schuller
Kathy623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacksie
Stats: 235/235/140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: May 1, 013
Your stats back the way you eat. Hold your head high, you have much to be proud of.
We know it works and we know it is much healthier than eating all that "white" stuff.

Starla
Jacksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
^^^ totally agree with what she said!!!

sorry you had to endure the hassel of friends/relatives who don't understand our woe.

Last edited by margame; 09-30-2012 at 08:09 PM..
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Hey Kathy, sorry to hear that your friends were scrutinizing your WOE. No one needs to except for yourself! I don't talk about LC with anyone, not even with my friends. I answer questions, with as much detail as I can, but I don't bring up the subject of eating or food - at least for now, there's just too much stigma over our way of life.
anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Kathy, well I think the real problem (where you went wrong) is that you forgot to tell them how good they are with cinnomon and butter on them. Or dunked in butter. Yup, your fault, you left the best part off.

JK, acturaly I have not tried them that way. I like um plain with cream cheese on them.

Your stats are impressive. Nice going.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfree99
WOE: VLC
they are probably jealous of your weight loss, probably more mad at you right now because you look so good. kutgw!

Next time, crunch on some right in their faces. lol
Sugarfree99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree99 View Post
they are probably jealous of your weight loss, probably more mad at you right now because you look so good. kutgw!

Next time, crunch on some right in their faces. lol
Oh yaaaaa, have a bag ready and offer. Crunch away -love it!
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
You worry about what you put in your mouth and let others worry about what they put in theirs! If your happy and healthy, keep on with this WOE. If not go back to doing what you were doing, but you seem pretty happy with it. Don't let others who are starving on their fruit and yogurt tell you about healthy eating!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
My sister was in town last week and when I came home with my groceries she was like, "(nose in the air) Are those umm Pork rinds?"
Me "UMM YEP", (Tears open bag, Crunch crunch )
Her
Me
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Yep me too sweetie! I've been told over and over by one of my Aunts that it's Ok to eat bread, and High Carbs as long as I do it in Moderation! Umm when I eat that Junk I Have No moderation! She's Never ever been overweight or obese so she has No clue! Just wish she'd be able to tell me Why I need that crud and then we'd talk! Lol. I've posted my weight loss on facebook and had a Lot of positive feedback though and a Lot of people wanting to know what i'm doing to lose the weight

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
We have been told for so long that the healthy way to eat is to avoid animal fats and fruit/veg and whole grains. Until a person finds that is not working or someone close to them, they have not reason to think otherwise. I was one of them once although I hope I would have never chastised another adult for the way they eat....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vikings29
Stats: 5'6'', 265/247/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 6, 2012
Oh jeez, I completely understand! It is so hard to sit there and have your WOE scrutinized by people who have no idea what they're talking about. All I can do is sit there and shrug and pull up my jeans which are practically falling off of me They'll be eating their (high carb) words when I'm thin and they're miserable and hungry with their whole wheat toast and fruit....bring on the fat!
Vikings29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Religion, politics, and food choices are topics that I TRY to stay away from, but somebody is always wanting to argue with me about one of these things. It drives me NUTS!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I would never comment on another person's food choices. Even when they are eating twinkies! I never say a word. I say nothing as my friends give their kids soda and juice. Yet, everyone has an opinion on my choices. They love to tell me how my kids need grains or more fruit.
I keep hoping it wont bother me, but it is annoying.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 290/175/165
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I had this very same conversation with some Family at a recent gathering. I was eating Pork Rinds with smoked pork and Green beans. I got it from everyone there. Look at their plates...Sandwich with Pork dripping in BBQ sauce, mac&cheese, etc. Then after gorging on that crap they started on desserts. Somehow I was the one making bad choices though.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I don't understand why it's considered perfectly normal to eat chips, and yet pork rinds absolutely freak people out. I heard somewhere (but haven't looked it up to be sure) that a serving of pork rinds actually has less fat than a serving of potato chips. Plus, protein instead of all that starch. I wonder if that might shut them up?

Sorry that happened.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Well, your progress is irrefutable proof of your successes with your eating choices, so you can rest easy with that knowledge, thankfully.

Pork rinds are just one of those unfairly maligned foods for some reason. I would be willing to bet that some sort of poor media representation of them got hung in the system for years and that's what people have been clinging to ever since. Who knows. All I know is that they are incredibly delicious, and that I could eat them until I popped.

Carry on, my rind-munchin' missy. Carry on. Next time, be sure to proclaim your love for the pig skins with a mouthful of them, taking care to spew little bits of crispy pig in their direction as you talk.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
Stand up for yourself. No one needs friends who feel free to give them a hard time. Politely tell them your diet works for you and you don't care to discuss it, if that doesn't stop them, get MAD.

Bullies hide in many guises and none of them will stop if they aren’t stood up to. If it doesn't work, find some better friends.

PS same goes for family, I don't need to associate with people who put me down, I don't care who they are.

Good Luck

Last edited by xamier; 10-01-2012 at 06:39 AM..
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
I pretty much refuse to have the conversations because, you're right, they get you no where.

I went to dinner with a friend of mine last night. I ordered a chili cheeseburger, no bun. She took my fries.

And then lectured me - while eating a bowl of chili with cheese and french fries - that my WOE is not sustainable. Whatever.

This was after my business partner sat me down earlier in the day for a serious "I'm worried that you're losing too much weight and not eating" conversation. I laughed and told him that on Friday I had a strip steak with butter for lunch and chicken alfredo for dinner. I am absolutely eating. Good, wonderful, tasty, healthful food. But thanks for being so worried.

I love how people think their opinions matter. As if I haven't researched and made educated decisions on how to lose weight and get healthy. As if I don't know my body and how it responds better than they do. Whatever.

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
I pretty much refuse to have the conversations because, you're right, they get you no where.

I went to dinner with a friend of mine last night. I ordered a chili cheeseburger, no bun. She took my fries.

And then lectured me - while eating a bowl of chili with cheese and french fries - that my WOE is not sustainable. Whatever.

This was after my business partner sat me down earlier in the day for a serious "I'm worried that you're losing too much weight and not eating" conversation. I laughed and told him that on Friday I had a strip steak with butter for lunch and chicken alfredo for dinner. I am absolutely eating. Good, wonderful, tasty, healthful food. But thanks for being so worried.

I love how people think their opinions matter. As if I haven't researched and made educated decisions on how to lose weight and get healthy. As if I don't know my body and how it responds better than they do. Whatever.
This is just golden. I love that people assume the only way that people are able to lose large amounts of weight is by one of the following:

1. Starvation/purging
2. Diet pills
3. Weight loss surgery
4. Severe and/or terminal illness

Anything that falls outside of the bounds of those three is simply unfathomable in the average person's eyes. Mind boggling, truly.

My mom delicately broached the subject of whether or not I was "well" when I was trying to lose my last 5 lbs, essentially insinuating that I was either sick or had an eating disorder. I understand that she's merely concerned, but still. Our society has been brainwashed into thinking that losing weight unaided is reserved for demigods or something. The moment you start succeeding, it's gotta be anorexia or Sensa. Take your pick.

Let's keep on rocking the healthy weight loss, boys and girls.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfree99
WOE: VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
I don't understand why it's considered perfectly normal to eat chips, and yet pork rinds absolutely freak people out. I heard somewhere (but haven't looked it up to be sure) that a serving of pork rinds actually has less fat than a serving of potato chips. Plus, protein instead of all that starch. I wonder if that might shut them up?

Sorry that happened.
Exactly, don't forget the wholesome whole wheat trans fat free corn chips that most society think are so healthy!
Sugarfree99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I don't know where the size tag is for your slacks/jeans ladies, but I'd have swung my butt around and asked them to read me the size on the Levi's label on the back of my jeans.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
My sister was in town last week and when I came home with my groceries she was like, "(nose in the air) Are those umm Pork rinds?"
Me "UMM YEP", (Tears open bag, Crunch crunch )
Her
Me
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
I've had a lot of people make comments about how its just about moderation and a balanced diet is best. Those that judged decided WW was the better way to go. Here we are 3 months later, I am down 22 pounds and they are up so guess who is now asking me for food ideas and asking all kids of low carb questions! Gotta love how that works sometimes!
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy623 View Post
I am done, done, done, talking about my eating plan to others! I just happened to mention "pork rinds" over the weekend to a few friends of ours and they did a pretty good job of scrutinizing me!!! "Oh they are fried!!!-Do you know how bad they are for you?"......blah blah blah "You should eat yogurt and fruit!" I really wanted to get up and run like the wind away from everybody!!!!!
This is the part you will love........I had to sit there and endure people telling me HOW to EAT properly for 30 minutes just because I mentioned how much I love pork rinds!!!
I cannot talk to anyone, anymore....I went home feeling like I was doing something wrong and everyone was just backing me into a corner.
Sure, you can tell these folks to read but will they......I think we all know the answer.
This is why Low Carb Friends is the ONLY salvation I have! This is just my cry out that nobody understands and most are NOT educated in the area.
Here's the thing.. NO, you did NOT have to sit there and listen for 30 minutes. You could just end it. Nobody has the right to preach to you about your dietary choices, and you need to be able to voice that to anybody who decides you need educating.

They get to eat what they want to eat, and you have that same right. The next time anyone decides to comment on your choices, just tell them to stop! End it right now! I'm not interested in being preached to or advised. Period. Turn and leave if necessary.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lulu Belle
Stats: First goal is 20lbs. 8 gone so far!
WOE: Low Carb. (mostly)
Start Date: Sept 26,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I don't know where the size tag is for your slacks/jeans ladies, but I'd have swung my butt around and asked them to read me the size on the Levi's label on the back of my jeans.

LIKE!!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
Same thing happens to me at school. "You don't eat fruit?! You're going to die!!"

I know how you feel. :/
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Religion, politics, and food choices are topics that I TRY to stay away from, but somebody is always wanting to argue with me about one of these things. It drives me NUTS!
OMG....so true.

August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
I NEVER talk about woe eating w. people. When they ask how I lost all the weight I tell them I am "watching what I eat" and I exercise. It is not because I am embarassed BUT I know they won;t get it or they will be too judgmental.

AND you are right, LCF is really the best and only I find most accepting and knowledgable.
KUTGW-your results speak for themselves.

Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
If quizzed, I tell people that I gave up flour and sugar. That never fails to stun them. They can't insist those things are "healthy". I can see the wheels turning in their heads, "OMG - I could never do that!" They almost get a dazed look. And then, guess what, they don't want to hear anymore because you've just described something unthinkable to them. Un-liveable to them, really. It's almost like they shut down.

And the funny part is that I know how they feel. I've felt the same way before I started this. I just didn't know I was being run by carb and sugar cravings and once those were gone, it really wasn't hard at all.

But they don't want to hear about that either. So I leave it alone.

But you don't have to justify your eating choices to anyone - even your doctor. Lord knows, most of them have drunk the SAD pyramid BS. We each get to decide what we eat and it's nobody's business.

I can't believe these people have the NERVE to gang up on you when you've lost 50 pounds. You've done GREAT! Ignore them!