Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
My standard response when someone asks me how I lost so much weight:

"If I told you, your head would explode."

No one has yet gone any further.

If I'm in a social situation and avoiding carbs and someone comments or asks, I just say I can't eat anything that spikes my blood sugar because I don't want to go blind like my grandmother or lose my legs like my dad did. That also stops 'em dead in their tracks.

But then there are those difficult business situations where I'll take carbish food onto my plate and then just kind of smoosh it around. Sometimes I simply don't want to call attention to what I do or do not eat, and it's easier to pretend (and I can't risk offending someone with my snarky responses).
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Highbrow response

" you are obviously not Atticus Fink educated !"
" Huh ?"
" Ya know like in " to kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee where he teaches his children that how someone eats is nobody else´s business"

To Kill A Mockingbird -- (Movie Clip) Squirrels And Rabbits

It continues " That boy there is your company. If he wants to eat the tablecloth you let him! If you can´t eat like folks you will have to eat out here "(meaning the kitchen)
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 155 - CW: 148 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: September 29, 2014
I absolutely hate it when people critique my WOE. It's none of their damn business! We look good so they can bite it! lmao!
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Wow. So sorry to see so many get the jazz over their eating choices. Reading through this thread you'd think eating LC was some kind of cult.

I can thankfully say this has never happened to me, not the last time I was doing LC and not this time. I often have to lunch w/colleagues and often the same ones. You can't really hide how you're eating when you have lunch w/the same people regularly. I've been quite open about it and the only thing I've experienced is curiosity and encouragement.

Which is a good thing, because no one would want to be across from me after making some of the comments I've read about here. Don't have much tolerance for judgmental people who don't know what they're talking about.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Funny but several women friends of dw who I only rarely see, have commented on my weight loss. They guessed "Atkins", because "it really works"
Most of you are too young to remember, but when Dr. A first published his book in the early 70s it became the "in" diet. Many people my age remember the keto sticks, and the impressive weight loss they got from trying it, or knowing people who tried it.
They are so predisposed to trashing it.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Funny but several women friends of dw who I only rarely see, have commented on my weight loss. They guessed "Atkins", because "it really works"
Most of you are too young to remember, but when Dr. A first published his book in the early 70s it became the "in" diet. Many people my age remember the keto sticks, and the impressive weight loss they got from trying it, or knowing people who tried it.
They are so predisposed to trashing it.
I'm not too young to remember. And here's something else I remember. When my mom wanted to knock off some pounds in the sixties, even before Atkins, she ate a steak or a minute steak (another "old" term) w/ a salad, and she didn't worry about the dressing. But she wouldn't touch bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. It used to be understood that those things could cause weight gain, and certainly were not what you wanted to have if you wanted to lose weight.

Then look what happened to us. Today I had to pay, once again, a ridiculous amt of money for reduced sugar ketchup. This is because there isn't enough demand for it, even though I actually think it's better---more tangy and tomato like than the regular, that's pumped up w/sugar. 5 grams a tbsp! What a useless 5 grams, not to mention it's easy to use 2 tbs of Ketchup on a burger if you like ketchup, and that's 10 grams.

Grocery shopping irritates me these days w/all those low fat labels screaming at you from every shelf in the store, but try to find a low carb label, and good luck to you.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy623
Stats: Highest 199/150/148
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I'm not too young to remember. And here's something else I remember. When my mom wanted to knock off some pounds in the sixties, even before Atkins, she ate a steak or a minute steak (another "old" term) w/ a salad, and she didn't worry about the dressing. But she wouldn't touch bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. It used to be understood that those things could cause weight gain, and certainly were not what you wanted to have if you wanted to lose weight.

Then look what happened to us. Today I had to pay, once again, a ridiculous amt of money for reduced sugar ketchup. This is because there isn't enough demand for it, even though I actually think it's better---more tangy and tomato like than the regular, that's pumped up w/sugar. 5 grams a tbsp! What a useless 5 grams, not to mention it's easy to use 2 tbs of Ketchup on a burger if you like ketchup, and that's 10 grams.

Grocery shopping irritates me these days w/all those low fat labels screaming at you from every shelf in the store, but try to find a low carb label, and good luck to you.
I love the low sugar ketchup also--could not live without it!
Kathy623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Kathy! Where've you been?! Missed ya!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:

I hate grocery shopping lol.. All the low fat labels drive me crazy. But I love to read the ingredients and see all the bad stuff like corn syrup and hydrogenated oils lol.
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos View Post
I hate grocery shopping lol.. All the low fat labels drive me crazy. But I love to read the ingredients and see all the bad stuff like corn syrup and hydrogenated oils lol.
A fellow Inspector Clouseau of killer ingredients! Last week I forgot my glasses when I went to the grocery store, and I didn't know what to do w/myself, couldn't read one label. I'll say this though, I was out of there a lot faster than usual, and for less money. Wasn't about to try anything new if I couldn't read the ingredients.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sometimes I have to buy readers when I am at the store for that very reason.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
I

Today I had to pay, once again, a ridiculous amt of money for reduced sugar ketchup. This is because there isn't enough demand for it, even though I actually think it's better---more tangy and tomato like than the regular, that's pumped up w/sugar. 5 grams a tbsp! What a useless 5 grams, not to mention it's easy to use 2 tbs of Ketchup on a burger if you like ketchup, and that's 10 grams.
Just use some tomato slices. Much, much cheaper and no irksome ingredients.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
That would work for me only when tomatoes are in season/home grown.
Sometimes canned are tastier.
I am not really a ketchup eater, but I recall that Dana Carpender has a good lc recipe.
I'll look for it, but someone here may beat me to it.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Just use some tomato slices. Much, much cheaper and no irksome ingredients.
nolcjunk, you are amazing when it comes to eating clean and whole, as per your handle. And I really admire that.

But no, tomato slices cannot replace ketchup for me. Particularly when you consider how little flavor tomatoes have out of season, and for those of us in the midwest, that's most of the year. Good Lord, a tomato in winter, spring and fall bares NO resemblance to a tomato out of your garden in August. And, Ketchup may be tomato based, but in intensity and depth it's a whole other thing.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MintyToucan
Hang in there OP... I have to deal with this same thing all the time. All there is left for me to do is continue to eat six eggs at a time fried in lard while watching peoples' jaws drop as I get thinner and thinner.

I hate to be cynical but it seems like some people are just not willing to let go of their beliefs. Although I have had minor success by showing people documentaries and linking them to scientific studies.

Last edited by MintyToucan; 05-18-2013 at 06:03 PM..
MintyToucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
nolcjunk, you are amazing when it comes to eating clean and whole, as per your handle. And I really admire that.

But no, tomato slices cannot replace ketchup for me. Particularly when you consider how little flavor tomatoes have out of season, and for those of us in the midwest, that's most of the year. Good Lord, a tomato in winter, spring and fall bares NO resemblance to a tomato out of your garden in August. And, Ketchup may be tomato based, but in intensity and depth it's a whole other thing.
I think campari tomatoes are full of flavor even out of season. But, I know what you mean about certain supermarket tomatoes- they are basically water with no flavor. Cherry tomatoes also tend to have more flavor.

I have never been a fan of ketchup (I think because we never used it at home, except if we had a cook out or something, so it just tastes way too sweet to me). What about salsa? My favorite at the moment is Green Mountain Gringo- it is not mushy and they use different peppers in it so it has a lot of flavor. Another great sub is tomato paste (Amore brand only has tomatoes and salt).
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I think campari tomatoes are full of flavor even out of season. But, I know what you mean about certain supermarket tomatoes- they are basically water with no flavor. Cherry tomatoes also tend to have more flavor.

I have never been a fan of ketchup (I think because we never used it at home, except if we had a cook out or something, so it just tastes way too sweet to me). What about salsa? My favorite at the moment is Green Mountain Gringo- it is not mushy and they use different peppers in it so it has a lot of flavor. Another great sub is tomato paste (Amore brand only has tomatoes and salt).
I make my own by mixing Amore paste with a little balsamic vinegar. Works great.

You can add some liquid smoke and mustard and you've got the basis of a good bar-b-que sauce. (Add heat or spices to taste.)
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote