Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
It always cracks me up (inside, I do try not to be rude and laugh outright) when someone says "I could never give that up" and then tries to lecture me on food. I usually just sit there with my eyes wide and a sweet smile on my face while they yammer on, thinking "Awww. Bless your heart!" like some of my Southern female relatives do. (In case you're Southern-impaired, "bless your heart" often can mean "Awww. You poor little dimbulb you, aren't you precious trying to use those few brain cells to protect me from myself. You're well-intentioned and I appreciate the thought, you silly thing, you").

I don't figure it is important enough to me to get mad at them for not knowing any better. I just let them run out of steam, and go about my merry way.

The funny thing is, I get a similar thing about my knitting! I can't tell you how many people will tell me they could *never* learn to knit (uhhh, little children can do it, so I think most adults could do it if they cared to) or they don't have *time* to knit (they have the same amount of time I do, I just do it while sitting in waiting rooms or while watching tv or...) and so on. It never seems ok to them to simply say "Huh. That's just not something I am interested in spending my time learning or doing" and leaving it at that -- it always has to be they could *never* learn it or don't have the time for it. Cracks me up.
lene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
How very annoying, and rude! I have friends who ask about it, and generally I say something like "well, I cut back on carbs and sugars and stuff, I feel a million times bettr and I'm never hungry". Then they say, "oooooh, yeah, I should do that. But you still eat FRUIT right? And you still have pasta sometimes, right? Whole grain pasta?" Ummmmm, no, not really so much...... I just smile and end it there. Sheesh.
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I live in phoenix and thankfully pork rinds are a staple around here. If I go to the mexican grocery store I can get fresh ones! (Don't be jealous!!)

And BTW, it is perfectly acceptable to dip pork rinds in salsa.. MM
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sya_unit View Post
I live in phoenix and thankfully pork rinds are a staple around here. If I go to the mexican grocery store I can get fresh ones! (Don't be jealous!!)

And BTW, it is perfectly acceptable to dip pork rinds in salsa.. MM
Like, they have a vat of lard and cook them up on the spot?? I live in the DFW area of Texas. Plenty of authentic mexican stores around here
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
If quizzed, I tell people that I gave up flour and sugar. That never fails to stun them. They can't insist those things are "healthy". I can see the wheels turning in their heads, "OMG - I could never do that!" They almost get a dazed look. And then, guess what, they don't want to hear anymore because you've just described something unthinkable to them. Un-liveable to them, really. It's almost like they shut down.

And the funny part is that I know how they feel. I've felt the same way before I started this. I just didn't know I was being run by carb and sugar cravings and once those were gone, it really wasn't hard at all.

But they don't want to hear about that either. So I leave it alone.
That's what I say too. But I live in LA where carbs are practically illegal so nobody thinks much of it.

Seriously, I've had pretty good luck just saying that I've given up sugar and starches. When people get on the fruit thing, I just say it depends on how much sugar it has in it --- I've got some issues with blood sugar. They usually back off. Those in the know might ask if I'm doing lo-carb and I say "in my own way."

I find that people are very judgmental about food generally. My husband is a vegetarian (has been practically his whole life) and people give him grief for it, insisting that he's some kind of fanatic when in truth he just doesn't like meat and doesn't care if other people eat it at all.

I have to say that's one thing I like about this board. With few exceptions people are very easy going about others' way of eating. I think it's probably because people who do lo carb are subject to such judgement they are sensitive to it. It's very pleasant to be among people who are supportive and enthusiastic without turning it into an ax grinding exercise against people they deem heretics. I'm much more inclined to spend time here because of it.

Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldgirl24 View Post
Same thing happens to me at school. "You don't eat fruit?! You're going to die!!"

I know how you feel. :/
Have you mentioned they're only in season 10-12 weeks out of the year? I heard that back in the 1940s, when Fruit began being imported from South america, the Obesity epidemic began because prior to that, people only ate them during Summer time.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tofulover
Stats: 220/177/165 (at 6')
WOE: Vegetarian/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
I was at a birthday party with a bunch of colleagues shortly before the summer holidays started. One of them remarked on my not eating birthday cake, which I admit WAS a quite noticeable change of behavior in me -- pre LC, I woul have had 3-4 pieces. So I explained a bit and got into the inevitable discussion with a follower of the "balanced & in moderation" philosophy (which btw actually works for her, she's skinny without even tying, lucky her). The rest of the group was is silent.

Then the next day, two of the silent ones came to my office, one for additional explanations and one to borrow my books.

I didn't see them over summer break, then last week, I hardly recognized them: Each of us had lost more than 12 pounds over the summer!

So sometimes, it is good to explain our WOL :-)
Tofulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I try not to talk about it much. If someone is genuinely interested, I am happy to answer any questions....but many people just want you to talk about it so they can criticize you. I just ignore them. They will talk, but if I don't respond or engage in the conversation then they just give up...and I change the subject. I like the idea of just saying "i'm watching what I eat" I think I will use that if needed.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulover View Post
I was at a birthday party with a bunch of colleagues shortly before the summer holidays started. One of them remarked on my not eating birthday cake, which I admit WAS a quite noticeable change of behavior in me -- pre LC, I woul have had 3-4 pieces. So I explained a bit and got into the inevitable discussion with a follower of the "balanced & in moderation" philosophy (which btw actually works for her, she's skinny without even tying, lucky her). The rest of the group was is silent.

Then the next day, two of the silent ones came to my office, one for additional explanations and one to borrow my books.

I didn't see them over summer break, then last week, I hardly recognized them: Each of us had lost more than 12 pounds over the summer!

Oh, good for you! See, this is the up side to us defending our diet openly. I mean, the lectures and the judgment (like the OP experienced) are really uncalled for. But when these topics come up, you never know how you might be planting a seed for someone else that will sprout in the future.

I was one of those people who had a really bad impression of Atkins and low-carb at first. When my brother started Atkins, I tried to talk him out of it, convinced he was going to ruin his health! But when he not only lost weight but gained muscle and looked radiantly healthy, slowly but surely, those rusty old wheels in my brain started to turn. Now he is my number one low-carb bud, and we're always sharing recipes and telling each other about exciting low-carb product finds, and so on. I'm so glad that he's forgiven me!!!

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulover View Post

An excellent illustration of why it is good to be uncompromising about LC being healthy
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I think there is snobbery involved.
It's not just that pork rinds are "bad" food in the eyes of the food pyramid folks,
it's that they are considered low class.
Seriously, As one who has been to the dark side, eating pork rinds is like having a chevy on your front lawn propped up on cinder blocks.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #42
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I think there is snobbery involved.
It's not just that pork rinds are "bad" food in the eyes of the food pyramid folks,
it's that they are considered low class.
Seriously, As one who has been to the dark side, eating pork rinds is like having a chevy on your front lawn propped up on cinder blocks.
I will admit, I have that issue. I've never had a pork rind. I can't stomach the thought, though I know there is no rational basis for that.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
My friends know better than to go there......... and most people who are not my friends no that also...... I am real quick to tell them not to worry about what I eat it is not their concern..... and not always that "nicely"...

Guess I am just tired and way passed anwsering to anyone.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
My dear Hubby slipped and told his mom I was low carbing.

MIL: Oh NO! I had a friend that went on a low carb diet and she got bad breath and her tooth got loose.

My Hubby: Well... I know a lady that wasn't on a low carb diet and she had bad breath and a big ol butt!

1 point my sweet hubby!
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
MIL: Oh NO! I had a friend that went on a low carb diet and she got bad breath and her tooth got loose.

Great reply from your husband too!

Man, that is such an excellent exclamation from your MIL - so many possibilities for comedy!

Like, 'I know! [then mad-lib something agreeing with her]...'

'My friend's daughter went LC and her house got broke into the next day!'

'This friend of mine went LC and the credit card company raised their interest rates!'

'This guy at work did it and lost 89 pounds but it was all water weight!'

lol
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Look em dead in the eye and say " I cut back on the sugar and white flour and what have you been up to?, how has life been treating you?"
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lulu Belle
Stats: First goal is 20lbs. 18 so far!
WOE: Low Carb. (mostly)
Start Date: Sept 26,2012
I found often the gripers don't actually know the ins and outs of lc ing. Too many people think it's just eating meat. Actually the first person i knew who was low carbing was eating only meat. I thought it was the most foolish diet i had ever heard of, who could only eat meat long term. Once i actually read the books and saw what a person could really eat i saw the logic in low carb
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I've given up debating about my WOE. If anyone asks I tell them I gave up sugar and bread. Some people ask more and I can judge where they are going with it...and I basically shut down if the person is going to be critical. I have strong body language so I think it is pretty obvious that I'm not open to talking about it.
Many people approach me a second time and ask me more specifics. Most people know I lost a good bit of weight and have been keeping it off and are positive.
When they debate that it is not sustainable and I tell them I have not had a bite of bread in 14 months they usually just tell me about my amazing will-power and how they can never do it...and I just tell them it is not for everyone.

I never try to convince anyone it is a good way to eat. 18 months ago I would have thought eating pork rinds and fatty meat dipped in mayo was ridiculous and wouldn't work and you couldn't keep it up. I had to learn on my own and no one could have convinced me.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akasha
Stats: 236/197/150
Start Date: July 01, 2012
Its for reasons like that I also joined today. You should have seen the disgusted faces I got when making mock french toast out of pork rinds but it was delish
akasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

Great reply from your husband too!

Man, that is such an excellent exclamation from your MIL - so many possibilities for comedy!

Like, 'I know! [then mad-lib something agreeing with her]...'

'My friend's daughter went LC and her house got broke into the next day!'

'This friend of mine went LC and the credit card company raised their interest rates!'

lol
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy623
Stats: Highest 199/150/148
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: January 2003
Response from Kathy623

Sorry! I did not respond to anyone because I had sooo much work to do last night, I didn't even log on! I work with one of the girls that "lectured" me--actually, she lectured me in front of her boyfriend and used him to put me down..you know the type, ......"And she eats horrible foods-she needs to...!"

I saw her at a meeting today and I am so turned off on how she talked to me..this is going to take time! I am hurt and extremely offended. She told others that she thinks I starve myself to keep my weight off. She even asked my DH if I did!!!

After reading all of your posts, I realized that I DO NOT have to listen to anyone and WHO CARES what they think. I have to be honest though--I really need to avoid a certain few for a while because I'm going to protect myself from feeling that everyone is against me and the way I eat. Just turned off on our friendships--you would understand if you were there!!!

When my feelings are repaired, I will say the appropriate things, but for now, it is fresh in my mind. Very hurt and tired of explaining myself.

A year from now, you may wish you had started today~Robert Schuller
Kathy623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Kathy, it is all so hard dealing with people. I have a friend who lives half block away. She has had the stomack banding - lost weight - gained plenty back now. So I know she knows about Atkins way of eating. So I keep telling her I am watching the sweets, trying not to eat any. Okay so if she is really my friend I wonder why, when she called a few days ago and asked if she could stop by (it was 11:00 AM) did she say upon arival - "I was hungary and stopped at the DQ" and handed me a hot fudge sunday, I think the largest. I had just had a big breakfast of eggs ect. Being ME I went ahead and ate it as I just am lost at saying I do not want it. I was so mad allllllllll day because of this. I need to really talk to her. I heard her telling her sister she needed to get the band tightened. Jees, and I can go on and on as today the lady I clean for (as usural) gave me sweets to take home as she "had eaten enough and was going to throught them out" Well I took and tossed them in her garbage. She does this to me every week. She is old 83, so I can deal with that I guess. But jees friends, why do you do this to me. I am old and my friends are too and so guess I need to work much harder with them. Just pis#####es me off.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vanillayo
Stats: 308/280/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 28, 2012
I had someone tell me "I don't want to eat like you do" What can you say to that? lol
vanillayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #54
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillayo View Post
I had someone tell me "I don't want to eat like you do" What can you say to that? lol
"No one said you should."
or
"Then don't."
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #55

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
Quote:
Originally Posted by susume View Post
Kathy, it is all so hard dealing with people. I have a friend who lives half block away. She has had the stomack banding - lost weight - gained plenty back now. So I know she knows about Atkins way of eating. So I keep telling her I am watching the sweets, trying not to eat any. Okay so if she is really my friend I wonder why, when she called a few days ago and asked if she could stop by (it was 11:00 AM) did she say upon arival - "I was hungary and stopped at the DQ" and handed me a hot fudge sunday, I think the largest. I had just had a big breakfast of eggs ect. Being ME I went ahead and ate it as I just am lost at saying I do not want it. I was so mad allllllllll day because of this. I need to really talk to her. I heard her telling her sister she needed to get the band tightened. Jees, and I can go on and on as today the lady I clean for (as usural) gave me sweets to take home as she "had eaten enough and was going to throught them out" Well I took and tossed them in her garbage. She does this to me every week. She is old 83, so I can deal with that I guess. But jees friends, why do you do this to me. I am old and my friends are too and so guess I need to work much harder with them. Just pis#####es me off.
you are way nicer than me! I don't think I'd eat a sundae in that situation, I might thank her and tell her that I'd just finished eating and was full and put it in the freezer for later.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillayo View Post
Response: 'Okay '

Someone that says that is a mainstream nutrition zombie. Step back a foot or two because their bite is deadly.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #57
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Response: 'Okay '

Someone that says that is a mainstream nutrition zombie. Step back a foot or two because their bite is deadly.
Love that!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
well this made me lol
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy623 View Post
Sorry! I did not respond to anyone because I had sooo much work to do last night, I didn't even log on! I work with one of the girls that "lectured" me--actually, she lectured me in front of her boyfriend and used him to put me down..you know the type, ......"And she eats horrible foods-she needs to...!"

I saw her at a meeting today and I am so turned off on how she talked to me..this is going to take time! I am hurt and extremely offended. She told others that she thinks I starve myself to keep my weight off. She even asked my DH if I did!!!

After reading all of your posts, I realized that I DO NOT have to listen to anyone and WHO CARES what they think. I have to be honest though--I really need to avoid a certain few for a while because I'm going to protect myself from feeling that everyone is against me and the way I eat. Just turned off on our friendships--you would understand if you were there!!!

When my feelings are repaired, I will say the appropriate things, but for now, it is fresh in my mind. Very hurt and tired of explaining myself.
I love Joel Osteen and the other day he had a sermon on "Hitting the Delete Button".
He said when others are critical, DELETE!
When the put down your Ideas DELETE!
When others speak negativly about you DELETE, DELETE!!! DELETE!!!!
He gave all these examples But I loved the one about Theo Geisel. He wanted to be a childrens book writer and was turned down by 27 publishers. They all didn't like his drawings. But finally 1 publisher did give him a chance, Now we know him as Dr Seuss!
Just DELETE!

Last edited by Clueless; 10-03-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #60

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Anyone hear from Kathy lately?
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote