LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
wine

I figured since I was going low carb it was also a good way to stop drinking, so I hadn't had any wine (my drink of choice) for 2 weeks. I figured wine would definitely knock me out of ketosis, and I have been in fairly deep ketosis for 13 days now. Well, last night I indulged and drank some wine. I figured my ketosis was shot for a couple of days, but this morning it was as deep as ever. Now I wish I hadn't done that, because I'll be more tempted to drink wine again. Anyone else had experience with this?
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I drink some dry red wine on Friday and Saturday evenings, and while it doesn't knock me out of ketosis, I find that I do have to be careful. My body definitely seems to process the alcohol in much the same way that it processes carbs. So I count not only the carb grams but also the alcohol grams in each glass of wine towards my carbohydrate allowance. And I try to eat extra low carb and extra high fat on those days to make up for it.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I just started doing some browsing online regarding the alcohol content of wine, and apparently my counts were way off base. I had read somewhere, ages ago, (can't remember where) that an average glass of wine contains 5g of alcohol and 3g of carbs. So I was counting each glass of wine as 8g total towards my carb allowance. Now I'm reading that the alcohol content is much higher, more like 15g!

So I can say now that my body doesn't process alcohol as much like carbs as I thought. If I have two glasses of wine I definitely do not feel like I would if I'd had 30-40g of liquid carbs. Not even close. So I'll have to rethink how to count it. Sorry for all the confusion!

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Momlady
Stats: 250/155/150
WOE: Zero Carb
Start Date: Jan '09 (3rd time around!)
I have wine occasionally, and other liquor rarely. What I do is ALWAYS have some high-fat protein with it - cheese with butter is a usual accompaniment to my glass of wine. I find it keeps me from having cravings......
Momlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
I have never been kicked out of ketosis with alcohol.

I always drink a couple hours AWAY from a fatty meal though.

I drink dry red wines from a winery (corksniffer discount) so it is 15.8% alcohol which means lower carb. mine are 3-5 carbs per glass. 2 won't knock me out.

I feel like the wines I drink are healthy it has never affected my weight or slowed my run time, I just started a spin class and that seems fine.

I count carbs from wine and understand that alcohol will make me store if eating at the same time so my solution is that I have nothing 2 hours before or after drinking. Seems too work. Makes me hungry if I have a 3rd though! So I do not reccomend drinking too much and causing appetite surge!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||.||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

5'11" 38-27.5-38
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote