LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
Atkins Products

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to the LC world, just have a couple of questions about the Atkins food products.

How often do you eat them (if you do)?
Do you find they cause stalls/gains?

So excited to be doing LC! Just started in August and already seeing many positive changes!!!!
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I haven't tried the shakes but do like the bars. I try not to eat them very often because they do tend to stall me.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 10,2012
I eat just one Atkins product and that is the 19g of protein chocolate peanut butter bar. The rest have a lot less protein. I do not stall when I eat them BUT I do lose weight slower, if that makes sense.

If you are just beginning, I would avoid them if possible, for a minimum of 2 weeks. Then, have ONE and see what happens on the scale for you. Some people get stalled eating them.

I have used them heavily when I was in situations where it was that or fall completely off the wagon (i.e. girl scout campout where food was served to us and you had no low carb choices). I was grateful for them then.

The more you eat whole, regular food (not processed), the better you will do on this and the better you will feel.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011

I have never had any Atkins products.
Way too many carbs for me and I am trying to eat whole foods as much as possible.
When I need a treat I usually make cream cheese clouds.

Best wishes
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I ate the bars a few weeks into beginning low carb, before I knew better, and found that my weight loss stalled.

I have a couple of boxes of the bars in the back of a cupboard in my kitchen, but it's hard to imagine eating them, since they don't taste all that great--certainly not worth not losing weight when eating them. If I want to up my carbs for some treat, occasionally, I'd rather have some luscious fruit or part of a sweet potato or a piece of sushi or a few bites of gelato, not an Atkins bar--because for me, they are a weightloss hinderance, not a weightloss tool.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
I usually eat a few products a week, I buy the Atkins PB bars, the shakes, and I recently bought the endulge bars. On days that I am just dying for something sweet I may even have 2! I have never noticed a stall but thats just me. I have done low carb before and never had atkins product but instead made whey shakes but they made me stall as did flax.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I used to eat an Atkins Daybreak bars every morning and they didn't stall me. I don't eat them much anymore though, just keep one in my purse for emergencies. I used to keep the shakes on hand too but haven't bought any for several months now.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
My husband drinks the shakes sometimes, and they don't stall him. But then nothing does; he has a critical carb level of about 100. I'm sorry; I didn't sound too bitter when I said that, did I?

I am afraid of almost all low carb products behind they don't count sugar alcohols in the carb count, and I know they are at least partially absorbed. I do have some Breyer's CarbSmart ice cream, which is delicious. But I only eat it very occasionally and I count every carb that isn't fiber when I do.

I make my own low carb chocolate shakes and different flavors of mini cheesecakes when I need a sweet snack.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
I do not really eat totally low carb and definitely do not believe in counting net carbs so my favorite Atkins product is the peanut butter cup, which is actually somewhat high in carbs from the sugar alcohol that they don't count, but it does affect my body like sugar. I have stopped eating them but I still love them.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I have not used the shakes but I have had the Atkins bars through out my journey and I have never had a problem with them stalling me but I don't eat them on a daily basis, just when I am craving something sweet.
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
I have eaten a PB Bar everyday for breakfast for 3 years now!

(I do occasionally eat an omlette when I'm at a diner...)

And I have to say-best part of my day! I am back to swimming a mile every am and sometimes the only thing that gets me through that last 1/4 mile is knowing that I'll be having a bar soon...

When I was losing, I never had an issue with them, now that I'm trying to take off my summer weight gain I still do not see any issue witht the Bars
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vanillayo
Stats: 308/280/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 28, 2012
I got a box of one of the endulge carmel nut chew. It reminded me of a snicker bar so I thought it would be pretty good. They are too good! They caused horrible cravings and of course I binged on them. I am horribly addicted to sugar so I have to be very careful what treats I have.
vanillayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
never eat them. they are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive and that bothers me. and they do make me gain weight too.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I never eat them. If I need something sweet, I might make coconut bark or diet jello....maybe a cheesecake once in a while
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
When I first started low carbing about 10 years ago, I used many of the products. Some are not being made anymore. After a while I just quit buying that stuff because it was too much 'Franken-food'. It was not real, wholesome, genuine tasting food.

The only Atkins product I buy now is the chocolate peanut butter bar for 'emergency' hunger on the go. Like if I am shopping after work and already getting ravenous. I do like the chocolate shakes, but have not bought any in a long time.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
IMHO, the shakes were better when they were in METAL cans a few years ago. Now they come in a plastic/cardboard container, and that alone makes them taste like chemicals to me. For a pre made shake, I like the Premier chocolate that is sold at Sams Club. The chocolate is 2 net and the Vanilla is 1 if I'm not mistaken. Back to the bars, I sometimes like the Atkins caramel double chocolate crunch bars. Crunch, especially sweet crunch, can be hard to come by on this diet, so I usually keep a box in the cabinet. However, I can't vouch for the sugar alcohols and how much is actually absorbed by the body. When I'm on plan, they don't stall me. But that's just me. YMMV. If you have the time, I suggest making your own protein bars. There are numerous recipes and you can tailor them to your own tastes and leave out the SA if desired.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
I eat the Atkins bars from time to time but not often and not on a regular basis. Since I eat them every once in a while they never affect my weightloss.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
I tried the shakes and they were alright... But I had an indulge bar once that tasted like a freaking snickers bar! I only ate it because it came in the mail but it was incredible! I think I'd be too scared to actually go out and buy some in fear of not being able to control myself! So overall I try to stay away from that kind of stuff!
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post
I tried the shakes and they were alright... But I had an indulge bar once that tasted like a freaking snickers bar! I only ate it because it came in the mail but it was incredible! I think I'd be too scared to actually go out and buy some in fear of not being able to control myself! So overall I try to stay away from that kind of stuff!

Oh I haven't had that one but it sounds dangerous because I used to looooove Snickers Bars! So I better stay away from that one!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I was amazed at the carb content of many Atkins products.
I think the entire Atkins enterprise has developed a corporate mindset.
I don't trust anything that wasn't said or written by Dr. Atkins himself.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I do best when I eat as few 'products' as possible.

I try to limit myself to whole foods as much as possible because I do best, and I think that's the healthiest way to eat.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I used to drink an Atkin's shake almost every morning, but since I learned how to make my own, I never buy them anymore. The homemade ones are better tasting and better for you. I can spell everything I put into my shakes now
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I was amazed at the carb content of many Atkins products.
I think the entire Atkins enterprise has developed a corporate mindset.
I don't trust anything that wasn't said or written by Dr. Atkins himself.

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Atkins never said ANYTHING about eating any kind of pre-packaged bars or shakes in his book(s). The Atkins franchise has definitely gone corporate and they only care about the $$$$$$$$$$$ at this point.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
I keep them on hand. I would say I have a bar once a week or so. No issues. Helps me when I'm craving something sweet and nothing else will do. They are crazy expensive, and honestly, I'm thankful for that b/c it keeps me from eating them often. Seems like its pretty much different for everyone though.
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I keep a few of the Atkins Coconut Endulge bars on hand for when I feel like something sweet after dinner. However, I cut the bar into 4 equal pieces, and eat no more than one piece (1/4 bar) in a day. Have never experienced any negative effects from doing so.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Honestly, I've been very disappointed in the quality of the bars lately. No matter what store I get them at, they always taste stale. I dig all the way to the back to get the freshest ones, and they have a date of something like March 2013 on them, but they are dried out, hard, and just taste like they are past their prime. Seems like they used to taste a LOT better. And the more I eat the sugar alcohols, the more they seem to bother my stomach. I would like to see a Stevia based alternative on the market, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Atkins Advantage Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar

Ingredients: protein blend [soy protein isolate, hydrolyzed collagen, whey protein isolate (milk), sodium caseinate], glycerine, polydextrose, dry roasted peanut, peanut flour, palm kernel and palm oil, cellulose, coconut oil, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), natural and artificial flavor, olive oil, butter oil, soy lecithin, maltodextrin, salt, guar gum, citric acid, sucralose, mono and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, acesulfame potassium. nutrition blend: tricalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, vitamin a palmitate, ascorbic acid, sodium ascorbate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, zinc oxide, folic acid, chromium chelate, phytonadione, sodium selenite. contains: soy, milk and peanuts. This product is manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts, other nuts and seeds.
No. Just... no.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Miles
I remember that Dr Atkins was working on some type of bar based on Macadamia Nut, FWIW. this was about a year or two before he died.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I remember that Dr Atkins was working on some type of bar based on Macadamia Nut, FWIW. this was about a year or two before he died.
Yeah, from reading his books, he was ALL about macadamia nuts. He loved them apparently. A bar based on them would be relatively simple. Make some macadamia butter just as you would make peanut butter. Then put in some heavy cream or melted butter and some protein powder to hold it all together. Chopped nuts or a chocolate ganache topping- optional but tasty. I've made similar bars to these and they turned out pretty good. They have to be kept in the fridge, so they aren't very portable but at least you know your not getting all the preservatives and chemicals.