LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
Mio Concern-Propylene Glycol?

Hi Everyone, I did some research and I'm concerned about the safety of Propylene Glycol in Mio and generic versions. It is the 3rd ingredient. I know it's approved by the FDA but does anyone have any reports on safety since that substance is used in many industrial applications. The site I saw said it was safe and converted to lactic acid. If that is true, is there a danger of excess lactic acid. I have also heard some people have an allergy to it. I know it is used in many things. I was hoping someone would have quite a bit more information on this.

Thx everyone for your help!

"Doing LC Gourmet Style and keeping it interesting!"

250/230/145
Started 8/15/12
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I have a pretty strict view on all is chemical, but if you check labels on moisturizing creams and shampoos, there's Propylene Glycol as well. I wouldn't eat my shampoo so that classifies as non-edible for me.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I don't know about propylene glycol, but now I'm curious and intend to look into it. I look forward to reading what everyone here thinks as well.

But I have to say, respectfully, that I do not find the fact that something is used in body care products or industrial applications to be reason enough, in of itself, not to eat it. I use vegetable glycerine to keep my homemade ice cream soft, and since glycerine is a humectant, it is often used in conditioners and moisturizers. The first ingredient in most shampoos, conditioners, etc. is water. These things do not concern me.

That said, there may be other compelling reasons not to eat PG. Most of the websites I'm finding from google seem to be all hype and little to no real information. Very frustrating. Does anyone have info on PG from a source that they trust?

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I was wondering about this exact topic the other day. I looked at my Mio bottle and then started googling... I will be interested in hearing what others have to say about this.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It's in soda, as an example, so if you ever drink diet cola, you've already been consuming this product. It's been in our food/beverage supply for a long time. I doubt there are many who have never ingested it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wkupharm
Stats: 329/170/160
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 07/2004
Its not something I would overly concern myself with. This is a very old chemical and common solvent. As mentioned earlier in the thread its common in lots of products as a solvent (We use it in the hospital when preparing a lot of injections, which drugs aren't water soluble). Chemically, essentially it is a double alcohol ends in "diol"---and is made from propene (if i remember my Organic Chemistry). Now if it said ethylene glycol I would worry. HTH
wkupharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
water is used in a lot more industrial applications and you don't avoid it for that reason. that is a non-starter. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

This reminds me of the Dihydrogen monoxide hoax.

Wikipedia has the fun story:

In the dihydrogen monoxide hoax, water is referred to by an unfamiliar name, "dihydrogen monoxide", followed by a listing of real effects of this chemical, in an attempt to convince people that it should be regulated, labeled as hazardous, or banned. The hoax is intended to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1] "Dihydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DHMO", is a name for water that is consistent with basic rules of chemical nomenclature,[2] but is not among the names published by IUPAC[3] and is almost never used.

A popular version of the hoax was created by Eric Lechner, Lars Norpchen and Matthew Kaufman, housemates while attending University of California, Santa Cruz in 1990,[4] revised by Craig Jackson (also a UC Santa Cruz student) in 1994,[5] and brought to widespread public attention in 1997 when Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project, titled "How Gullible Are We?".[6]

"Dihydrogen monoxide" may sound dangerous to those with a limited knowledge of chemistry or who hold to an ideal of a "chemical-free" life (chemophobia).[6] The only familiar common usage of the term "monoxide" is in the highly toxic gas "carbon monoxide", and the simplified term "monoxide poisoning" is commonly used to refer to poisoning by this colourless and odorless substance.[7]

The joke has been frequently extended over the years. For example, a material safety data sheet—a list of information about potentially dangerous materials used in research and industry—has been created for it.[8]

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I once spilled dihydrogen monoxide all over my epidermis.
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
I once spilled dihydrogen monoxide all over my epidermis.
Hopefully not with terrible consequences to your health and safety!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Valentine, here is the Wikipedia entry for propylene glycol.

It is one of the things I avoid.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
Is it bad that I dont even want to read it? Mio has been a HUGE reason I drink so much water now. Seriously I drink like a gallon a day, most with a teeny squirt of Mio in it. It has helped me tremedously on so many levels (the water, obviosuly, not the mio) and I don't want to mess up a great thing for me!
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
My big concern is keeping it away from pets and children. It is generally recognized as safe. I guess I'm not willing to get hooked. I've got enough things I LOVE. Please also understand I have other health conditions and medications so I am being cautious.
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine319 View Post
My big concern is keeping it away from pets and children. It is generally recognized as safe. I guess I'm not willing to get hooked. I've got enough things I LOVE. Please also understand I have other health conditions and medications so I am being cautious.
You can always drink.. water. I know some folks don't like it unless it's flavored, but if you get that new habit formed, it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. You can always stir a slice of lemon in for flavor. Some folks add slices of cucumber, or a strawberry or two, etc.

You don't have to choose man-made chemical artificial flavorings for your food/beverage choices.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
FYI, i checked my Mio stash, and the orange and lemonade do not have the PG in them. Fwiw.
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinmama View Post
FYI, i checked my Mio stash, and the orange and lemonade do not have the PG in them. Fwiw.
You're cracking me up, Erinmama. I'm glad your orange and lemonade are good to go! Enjoy in confidence!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I think this is another incidence of a hysterical reaction.

There are so many worse things in the foods you eat, that if you were to stop eating everything that had some chemical base, you would be starving. Not to mention the water you drink. I have a friend that works in a water treatment plant. The stories I could tell.................
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I am very happy that I love plain water & had no clue what Mio was!

I avoid most processed foods as most turn out not to be real food at all.

FWIW my shampoo contains coffee & I do drink coffee. I do not drink my shampoo...
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote