Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
locating almond flour and coconut oil

I live very near a wal mart so that is where i do most of my grocery shopping. Their website indicates that both almond flour and coconut oil are "in stock at your store" but I can't find either.
What departments are you finding these products in?
I also have a publix which is a traditional supermarket near me as well.
thankx
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gladsome
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/08
I just purchased some coconut oil in the Health Food section of our local grocery store. Nutiva is the brand, it was around $11... I really like it and have been using it in my morning coffee.

I have seen Almond Flour in the Health food section also. Keep looking or ask a store manager for help.
Gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Oddly enough, check the area around the pharmacy.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaliOkieGal4now
Stats: 150/125/120 5'10''
WOE: Atkins & Power 90- All The Way!!!
Start Date: February 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oddly enough, check the area around the pharmacy.

Yeah, isnt it wierd? thats where I find many of my lowcarb stuff at walmart!
CaliOkieGal4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
If you have Trader Joe's there, that's another good source. The coconut oil is relatively new and I hope enough people buy it that they keep handling it this time!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
I get them at my regular grocery store. Wal-Mart here does sell almond meal flour but I don't know about coconut oil. Sprout's food stores here is a healthy food chain and it sells both. Almond meal flour is also sold in Walgreen's here.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
get the coconut oil at Walmart that is found in the pharmacy area (usually around the vitamins and nutritional supplements) THAT is the good coconut oil...white, creamy and pure...tastes good right out of the jar, even.

You can also find another cheaper brand in the cooking/baking section (I think it
s Spectrum brand, but not sure) Anyway, the stuff in the baking section is not good...gray, and barely smells/tastes of coconut at all. NOT tasty. I suppose it might be OK for cooking with, but after seeing the difference between that and the more expensive stuff I threw out the gray coconut oil.

The almond flour and such is also located on the baking ingredients aisle at all the Walmarts I've gone to (Nebraska & Florida) All the specialty flours, including all the gluten free items, are usually all clumped together at one end of the baking goods aisle (not in with the regular flours.)

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
At my WM the almond meal/flour is located in the gluten free section. It is not with baking ingredients or wheat flour.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
WOE: Low Carb
At my walmart both of the coconut oils are in the same section as all of the cooking oils. I use the cheaper oil because it doesn't taste like coconut so I can use it in anything. My almond flour is also in the gluten free section which is the same aisle as the baking products in my store. Good luck!
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I live in northern Ohio and at Walmart's in my area the coconut oil is in with the cooking oils. I buy Spectrum Organic (no coconut taste) and have never tried the Luann which they also carry. Spectrum Organic Virgin coconut oil (which I've never seen at Walmart) is supposed to be very good but it tastes like coconut so I've never bought it.

Haven't seen almond flour at any of my Walmarts. Generally I order almond flour from Netrition.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
get the coconut oil at Walmart that is found in the pharmacy area (usually around the vitamins and nutritional supplements) THAT is the good coconut oil...white, creamy and pure...tastes good right out of the jar, even.

You can also find another cheaper brand in the cooking/baking section (I think it
s Spectrum brand, but not sure) Anyway, the stuff in the baking section is not good...gray, and barely smells/tastes of coconut at all. NOT tasty. I suppose it might be OK for cooking with, but after seeing the difference between that and the more expensive stuff I threw out the gray coconut oil.

The almond flour and such is also located on the baking ingredients aisle at all the Walmarts I've gone to (Nebraska & Florida) All the specialty flours, including all the gluten free items, are usually all clumped together at one end of the baking goods aisle (not in with the regular flours.)
I'm not sure which kind of Spectrum CO you bought, but that used to be all I bought and it had great flavor. I suppose you may have to get the organic virgin kind?
Anyway, now I get my CO at the health food store because it's what my husband picked up one day: Dr. Bronners, fair trade & organic. It's pretty good and I like to support local businesses when I can afford to.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
In a pinch, you can make your own almond flour. I use my magic bullet with the small cup and grind up a bit at a time. It's putzy but cheaper too.

I've lived some places where there was no almond meal, but plenty of almonds.
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I live very near a wal mart so that is where i do most of my grocery shopping. Their website indicates that both almond flour and coconut oil are "in stock at your store" but I can't find either.
What departments are you finding these products in?
I also have a publix which is a traditional supermarket near me as well.
thankx
In my local walmart, I find the almond flour in the gluten free section. It is Bob's Red Mill. Then the Nutiva is in the baking section--Nutiva is right with the other oils. They have a large selection of different fancy oils in the baking section.

In Publix, I can find both items as well. I have found the almond flour in their organic section/gluten free section. I believe that is where it was. I haven't bought the Nutiva there because I can find it at walmart (I actually buy mine online in gallons though) and don't need it from there.

Last edited by dawnyama; 09-14-2012 at 02:59 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote