LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Can you use HCG effectively on Atkins?

I have done some research on HCG, but not extensively. Most of the research I've done points you in the direction of a diet plan (like OMNI). How effective are the drops on a high fat/low carb diet? Anyone know? Thanks, and if you can point me to a thread that covers this topic, all the better! A search did not help.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Here's one situation where CICO (calories in calories out) will apply. No matter how you divide the macros, 500 cal a day is not enough to Susan lean body mass. Yes you will lose, but will it be body fat???
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I can't answer your question about using hcg on Atkins, sorry

The section of the forum that has other weight loss plans includes an hcg section. Here's a link HCG Diets - Low Carb Friends

Good luck!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Here's one situation where CICO (calories in calories out) will apply. No matter how you divide the macros, 500 cal a day is not enough to Susan lean body mass. Yes you will lose, but will it be body fat???
500/4 = 125g Protein

Isn't that enough for all but the tallest people?

I don't have a dog in this race but I was just curious about the lean body mass thing. JUDDD doesn't promote following macros, no?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
JUDDD is only about the calories not what or how much of what kind of calories.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

I am more confused than ever, lol. I never mentioned 500 calories...I *know* that is what the OMNI diet requires, along with the drops. That is why I wondered if it would work with many more calories.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I think there is some confusion in this thread between HCG and JUDDD. I don't know very much about HCG, but I posted a link above that would give a lot more info.

JUDDD (calorie cycling) can have down days as low as 500 calories with up days that are much higher. A calculator is on their weight loss plan forum about determining this.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
To clarify, I hope...

The 500 calorie thing is a commonality of both and that is why it was brought up originally I think.

=)
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Was talking with my "Diet Doctor" Monday and I was telling him I could not function on the 500 calorie HCG diet. It did help get some cravings under control which was good, but I was terribly weak and could hardly work. He then starts telling me to eat lean proteins, plenty of veggies, and healthy fats, and to stay away from sweets, grains, dairy, and rarely fruit. He kept saying the idea was to keep those insulin spikes down and I mentioned Atkins. He felt like I should not count carbs because unlimited green veggies were so important. He even said the HCG was not that important but to be sure I continued my B12 shots.

Jonah gets a kiss from little Sister.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
Was talking with my "Diet Doctor" Monday and I was telling him I could not function on the 500 calorie HCG diet. It did help get some cravings under control which was good, but I was terribly weak and could hardly work. He then starts telling me to eat lean proteins, plenty of veggies, and healthy fats, and to stay away from sweets, grains, dairy, and rarely fruit. He kept saying the idea was to keep those insulin spikes down and I mentioned Atkins. He felt like I should not count carbs because unlimited green veggies were so important. He even said the HCG was not that important but to be sure I continued my B12 shots.
Basically he prescribed you a low carb diet lol. For a lot of people Atkins has a negative connotation and by the way the hcg diet is low carb. It's essentially protein and veggies so yeah it will work.
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I actually kind of knew that...hcg is used while eating mostly low carb, but the calories being so low makes me wonder if it would also work while eating twice or three times that amount...or if it's really necessary. I'm not even sure what hcg does, or if it boosts weight loss to any substantial degree (that sticking to 500/day would not).
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I actually kind of knew that...hcg is used while eating mostly low carb, but the calories being so low makes me wonder if it would also work while eating twice or three times that amount...or if it's really necessary. I'm not even sure what hcg does, or if it boosts weight loss to any substantial degree (that sticking to 500/day would not).
I'm doing the hcg platinum x30 plus. It doesn't have actual hcg but I couldn't stick to 500 calories. Some days I could some days I couldn't. I'm a 21yr old male. I NEED MY FOOD!!! But has the scale moving again I'm also taking this dyma burn stuff that GNC gave me for free to try. I read that it's good stuff..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
I know some people are all for HCG, but I am not. Reminds me too much of my anorexic days in highschool, eating very little calories. I'm in my mid 40's now. Also, my best friend (also mid 40's) decided to do it last year. I warned her that decreasing your calories to only 500 a day isn't the best, but she did it anyway. She lost 25 lbs in about 1 month. (she's only 5' tall)/ And when she started eating normally again she gained all the weight back plus 20 more. She went to her naturopath internist MD and was asking why she couldn't lose weight, and her doctor said she messed up her metabolism and it would take a while to heal it. Anyway, I know it works, (as reducing calories always does,) but I don't really think it's safe or good for long term. (IMHO). (Didn't they just outlaw HCG anyway?)

Hi, I'm Kate!

Don't live your life by what the scale says, just live your life and keep on going!

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”~ Wayne Dyer

"No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again." ~ Buddha
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden View Post
I know some people are all for HCG, but I am not. Reminds me too much of my anorexic days in highschool, eating very little calories. I'm in my mid 40's now. Also, my best friend (also mid 40's) decided to do it last year. I warned her that decreasing your calories to only 500 a day isn't the best, but she did it anyway. She lost 25 lbs in about 1 month. (she's only 5' tall)/ And when she started eating normally again she gained all the weight back plus 20 more. She went to her naturopath internist MD and was asking why she couldn't lose weight, and her doctor said she messed up her metabolism and it would take a while to heal it. Anyway, I know it works, (as reducing calories always does,) but I don't really think it's safe or good for long term. (IMHO). (Didn't they just outlaw HCG anyway?)
Oh that's terrible. I don't wanna mess up my metabolism. More food for me please!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos View Post
Oh that's terrible. I don't wanna mess up my metabolism. More food for me please!
Yes, eat!!! No deprivation with low carbing!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
(Didn't they just outlaw HCG anyway?)
Nope. I can still get it so can others on the hcg forum.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
I have done some research on HCG, but not extensively. Most of the research I've done points you in the direction of a diet plan (like OMNI). How effective are the drops on a high fat/low carb diet? Anyone know? Thanks, and if you can point me to a thread that covers this topic, all the better! A search did not help.
My co-workers are doing the Omni drops. They are losing like gangbusters. I can provide more info if you want. They are following the original diet plan that Simeon's wrote up though. They follow the 500 calories (like me ) and look fabulous!! They feel fabulous too. They say their cravings are gone and they are not hungry. They love it That being said, *I* do not believe you can lose as well doing it high fat/low carb, I follow Simeon's original diet plan as well, but there are some who are doing it low carb/high fat. Look in here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...8-26-12-a.html

they have tweaked the original plan to suit them. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, eat!!! No deprivation with low carbing!
Just wait until you start nearing goal and the weight slows down lol. You will start to get desperate lol..
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Just wait until you start nearing goal and the weight slows down lol. You will start to get desperate lol..
I got to my goal and surpassed it while on the hcg. It works wonders and is amazing. Love it Every time I see these posts "how do I lose the last 5-10 lbs?" I want to rush in and say "HGC!!!" but know it won't get a good reception. So I keep my mouth shut. But hcg works, it really works
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I got to my goal and surpassed it while on the hcg. It works wonders and is amazing. Love it Every time I see these posts "how do I lose the last 5-10 lbs?" I want to rush in and say "HGC!!!" but know it won't get a good reception. So I keep my mouth shut. But hcg works, it really works
Is there a specific hcg that you did? I'm taking the hcg platinum x30 plus. It doesn't have any actual HCG in it..
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Love your signature Carlos. So true! Dawn, thanks for the input and I'm happy to see that it really does work! What happens when you stop taking HCG? Is it safe to stay on such a low calorie diet forever? Good to know that it's something that will help when I get to those last 5-10 lbs. LOL, maybe next year sometime, if ever! I have lost 1 lb a day so far though, loving it!

My sister lives in Irmo.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 09-15-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Have there been any studies done comparing the results of following the eating plan that HCGers do + HCG, vs the eating plan + homeopathic HCG, vs the eating plan alone? I would be very interested in seeing the comparisons. Thanks to anyone who can help
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
I don't feel good about the need to take pills or shots to lose weight. Dr Atkins set out a protocol that if followed will take you all of the way to maintenance and teach you how to eat every day, no shots required. Even if hcg works, it doesn't seem to be a way of eating and people will regain unless they learn how to eat healthy.
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

The thing is you need the hcg with the low calorie diet. If not you will go into starvation. The hcg basically tells your body to burn fat and spare muscle, basically like low carb diets. I wouldn't do hcg unless I was trying to get rid of that last few pounds. Hcg protocols works in phases to reintroduce healthier carbs back in your diet so you maintain your weightloss. Most people report a fixed sense of hunger meaning they don't get hungry as much and naturally eat smaller portions after the hcg protocol. This is from the research I have done.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

One thing I have avoided was paying $$$ for the hcg diet plan. I know hcg is available at Walmart, but who knows which one is real? If the pregnancy hormone has to be a part of the concoction, I imagine it would cost thousands to actually buy a stock of it, lol. Unless you have a family member who is pregnant that will allow you to extract some.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I'm trying to find evidence regarding the effectiveness of HCG - which I realise is a touchy subject for some - but as so many people seem to be on it, I'm wondering what information convinced them that HCG works better than simple low carbing, or following the diet regime that's associated with it (it being HCG). So far, all I've managed to find are studies showing that HCG isn't absorbed through the gut, so drops are ineffective (no trace of HCG found in the bloodstream after ingestion), and a series of studies that show MORE weightloss without the HCG, and no evidence that the nature of the weight lost (ie, fat and not muscle) differs when using HCG.

I'm open minded about this, but want to see hard evidence - scientific evidence, that it works. People poo-pooed Atkins for years, but there are now studies demonstrating that his claims for the diet do stand up to scientific investigation. It's possible, therefore, that there ARE benefits to HCG - but where is the evidence?

If there's already a discussion about this elsewhere on the site (couldn't find one in the HCG forum), please point me to it. I realise that Netrition tacitly approve HCG, by selling products associated with it - but am hoping that we're 'allowed' to discuss the efficacy or otherwise of any given regime, without the discussion becoming heated or deemed inappropriate.
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

From what I have gathered so far (without any actual knowledge) is that the hcg drops effectively mask hunger. They make it *possible* to eat 500 calories a day. On that note, how is it different from any other appetite suppressant? I have a lot of questions too!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

All I know is the stuff works lol. If it's gonna get me where I wanna be then sign me up lol. I have this hcg platinum x30 plus which doesn't have actual hcg, although it has some good stuff in it lol. I've read great reviews on this particular product.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Is there a specific hcg that you did? I'm taking the hcg platinum x30 plus. It doesn't have any actual HCG in it..
I am using the homeopathic that has the hcg in it. Intermountain pellets. So easy and more convenient than the drops. It works for me!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Love your signature Carlos. So true! Dawn, thanks for the input and I'm happy to see that it really does work! What happens when you stop taking HCG? Is it safe to stay on such a low calorie diet forever? Good to know that it's something that will help when I get to those last 5-10 lbs. LOL, maybe next year sometime, if ever! I have lost 1 lb a day so far though, loving it!

My sister lives in Irmo.
So are you doing the hcg now? How are you losing a lb a day? When you stop the hcg, there is a protocol you are to follow. You continue the very low calorie meals for 48 hours to allow the hcg to get out of your system. Then for 3 weeks (called P3) you eat "no sugar and no starch". Then for the next 3 weeks (called P4) you start to add in foods you wish. You do NOT eat 500 calories forever. I think that is getting everyone confused. You eat only the 500 calories when you are in the weight loss phase---NOT FOREVER. It I were to eat 500 calories every day for the rest of my life, I would not be doing this. I love food and I love to eat What hcg does is heal and fix your metabolism. That allows you to eat a more reasonable diet without gaining weight.