Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
Have there been any studies done comparing the results of following the eating plan that HCGers do + HCG, vs the eating plan + homeopathic HCG, vs the eating plan alone? I would be very interested in seeing the comparisons. Thanks to anyone who can help
I don't know about studies, but the one who founded the protocol is Dr Simeons. He wrote in his manuscript (called Pounds and Inches and it is free on the 'net) that NO ONE should try to eat 500 calories with out any hcg. It won't work and is damaging. So anyone trying to eat 500 calories with NO hcg is doing harm and no favors for the plan.

And I know of one guy who set out to prove that homepathic hcg did NOT work. He actually proved that the homeopathic did indeed work. In fact he like the homeopathic so much he is now selling it on his website!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 09-15-2012 at 08:44 AM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamier View Post
I don't feel good about the need to take pills or shots to lose weight. Dr Atkins set out a protocol that if followed will take you all of the way to maintenance and teach you how to eat every day, no shots required. Even if hcg works, it doesn't seem to be a way of eating and people will regain unless they learn how to eat healthy.
That is soooo true. And something I need to learn. I keep falling back into old habits and regaining my weight. Once I am done this time, I am going to follow a strict eating regimine to keep the weight off, something I have not done in the past. I have learned from my mistakes. A lot of people are doing Atkins once they lose the weight with hcg because they know carbs are the enemy. And then some are doing JUDDD after their weight loss so they can eat what they want. That is key---having a plan for "the after".

Last edited by dawnyama; 09-15-2012 at 09:14 AM..
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I'm trying to find evidence regarding the effectiveness of HCG - which I realise is a touchy subject for some - but as so many people seem to be on it, I'm wondering what information convinced them that HCG works better than simple low carbing, or following the diet regime that's associated with it (it being HCG). So far, all I've managed to find are studies showing that HCG isn't absorbed through the gut, so drops are ineffective (no trace of HCG found in the bloodstream after ingestion), and a series of studies that show MORE weightloss without the HCG, and no evidence that the nature of the weight lost (ie, fat and not muscle) differs when using HCG.

I'm open minded about this, but want to see hard evidence - scientific evidence, that it works. People poo-pooed Atkins for years, but there are now studies demonstrating that his claims for the diet do stand up to scientific investigation. It's possible, therefore, that there ARE benefits to HCG - but where is the evidence?

If there's already a discussion about this elsewhere on the site (couldn't find one in the HCG forum), please point me to it. I realise that Netrition tacitly approve HCG, by selling products associated with it - but am hoping that we're 'allowed' to discuss the efficacy or otherwise of any given regime, without the discussion becoming heated or deemed inappropriate.
There are docs who are researching hcg and how it works. You can look into "Weight Loss Apocolypse" a book by Robin Woodall. Here are some posts about her:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...pocalypse.html

She explains why hcg works and how it works in modern day terms. I know that when I got to my goal with hcg, I was lean looking---not skinny. My fat melted away right where it needed to. I lost the dimply thighs, my upper arms finally slimmed down, my abdomen was much flatter. When you try other diets or eating plans, you cannot target the fat. Hcg does!!! It works The evidence for me was.....me!!! I tried it and thought "it won't work for me. I cannot lose the weight, I won't lose the weight". And then the weight came off. I started out doing 21 days of the weight loss phase and lost 15 lbs. I mean that was amazing!! Almost a lb a day. then my second round--same thing happened. So the evidence to me, was me. You won't know it works until you try for yourself. And if it didn't work there would be NO clinics that you could get it from. Clincis are popping up everywhere these days.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamier View Post
and people will regain unless they learn how to eat healthy.
I didn't realize it till I read Dawn's post but I have family experience with that problem.

My brother and his wife did the hgc plan. They did follow it as prescribed and they flat got skinny. It was stunning. And it was fairly quick too. Both of them were fat as heck.

But they didn't give any thought at all to planning how to eat after they lost all that weight.

I'm sure it was a very typical oversight in a society that thinks overweight people are overweight because they are overweight. So get skinny and eat healthy and everything will be fine is sort of the meme promulgated far and wide.

Of course, they gained it all back and then some. Both were bigger than I'd ever seen them.

So, it does for sure work. Just make sure you are fixing your woe as you go so when you get where you want to be the next step you take is a natural length stride not a bunny hop that plunges so many people down the cliff to regaining weight ala Homer Simpson and the skateboard.

=)
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
So are you doing the hcg now? How are you losing a lb a day? When you stop the hcg, there is a protocol you are to follow. You continue the very low calorie meals for 48 hours to allow the hcg to get out of your system. Then for 3 weeks (called P3) you eat "no sugar and no starch". Then for the next 3 weeks (called P4) you start to add in foods you wish. You do NOT eat 500 calories forever. I think that is getting everyone confused. You eat only the 500 calories when you are in the weight loss phase---NOT FOREVER. It I were to eat 500 calories every day for the rest of my life, I would not be doing this. I love food and I love to eat What hcg does is heal and fix your metabolism. That allows you to eat a more reasonable diet without gaining weight.
I am not using hcg so far. Although after hearing you talk about it, plus seeing the results with my own eyes (a relative), I am a believer. I will reach for it just as soon as I can't continue to lose eating low carb. That's all I've been doing so far, but as I've only been doing it 4 days (and losing a lb a day), I'm not guaranteeing the weight will continue to drop like it has so far. In fact, I don't expect it to continue (unfortunately). I do know that my last "diet" of limiting calories not too long ago only allowed me to lose about 5 lbs total. And it was agonizing. Every lb was hard fought, and even if what's coming off now is mostly water, I'll take it!!

Now, down to the nitty gritty: how much are the hcg pellets you're using? The price, I mean...approximately if you're not comfortable with exact figures. Thank you so much for all this great info!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
I don't know about studies, but the one who founded the protocol is Dr Simeons. He wrote in his manuscript (called Pounds and Inches and it is free on the 'net) that NO ONE should try to eat 500 calories with out any hcg. It won't work and is damaging. So anyone trying to eat 500 calories with NO hcg is doing harm and no favors for the plan.

And I know of one guy who set out to prove that homepathic hcg did NOT work. He actually proved that the homeopathic did indeed work. In fact he like the homeopathic so much he is now selling it on his website!!!
thats the "My fat cure" i actually have some of that, its an oral spray and i havent used it all lol. his stuff seems legit. once i run out of the x30 platinum i will finish the rest of the homeopathic spray..
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I am not using hcg so far. Although after hearing you talk about it, plus seeing the results with my own eyes (a relative), I am a believer. I will reach for it just as soon as I can't continue to lose eating low carb. That's all I've been doing so far, but as I've only been doing it 4 days (and losing a lb a day), I'm not guaranteeing the weight will continue to drop like it has so far. In fact, I don't expect it to continue (unfortunately). I do know that my last "diet" of limiting calories not too long ago only allowed me to lose about 5 lbs total. And it was agonizing. Every lb was hard fought, and even if what's coming off now is mostly water, I'll take it!!

Now, down to the nitty gritty: how much are the hcg pellets you're using? The price, I mean...approximately if you're not comfortable with exact figures. Thank you so much for all this great info!
i would say keep doing what your doing and once you hit the big PLATEAU then maybe try HCG
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos View Post
i would say keep doing what your doing and once you hit the big PLATEAU then maybe try HCG
That is what most of us did. I could not lose weight on low carb. I maintained really, really well but did not lose an ounce. After 4 kids my body just didn't give it up easily. I exercised and ate low carb and not a budge. I saw a doctor and she told me what to do to lose as well. She changed my exercise, told me what to eat (she wanted me to do gluten free as she thought I was not full blown celiac but definitely grain intolerant) and my weight did not budge for 6 months. Even my husband was surprised that with my change in diet alone I was not losing weight--he said with the way you changed your eating habits, you should have lost at least 20 lbs by now! So something was not right. I lost with the hcg. I was going to give it 2 weeks to see how it was. I knew after that first very low calorie day that it would work when I dropped 2+ lbs. I have been hooked since .
Old 09-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #39

Quote:

As far as price--I lost all I needed to lose in 3 rounds. It cost me less than $100 for all the hcg I needed to lose that 40 lbs. One bottle of homeopathic hcg cost me about $30 a piece. So not so bad. But that was a few years ago. It may have gone up in price. But still not bad at all when you consider the amount that would cost if you were going to a clinic.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

So you're not doing hcg now? What WOE are you on now, that you're able to maintain the hcg loss? I'm not eating any gluten I guess, unless it's in meat or veggies, lol. I am having a smoothie this morning that's not exactly low carb, but I just couldn't eat any more meat right now. It's got unsweeted frozen strawberries, a handfull of unsweetened blueberries, a glob of plain full-fat greek yogurt and almond/coconut milk, unsweetened, and three packs of stevia cane. Delicious!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 09-16-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Just my .02, yes, if you follow P2 and lose 25 pounds then go back to eating "normally' you will screw up your metabolism HCG or not. That is why there are P3 and P4. To reset the metabolism and resume eating safely. As well as trach your weight over several months after you stop taking the HCG, So if your friend didn't do that then she did not follow protocol and cannot blame HCG or the HCG "diet" for her re-gain. That is like saying Atkins doesn't work because you didn'y follow the rungs on OWL and Maintence for lifetime success. The plans BOTH offer lifetime success plans, but people only want the rapid fix.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #42

librarygirl. I gave you the brand: Intermountain. Netrition used to sell that one and it is a very good one. It is what I use now--the pellets. Here ya go:

Low Carb Friends - Announcements in Forum : HCG Diets

They have sold out, but it is very reasonably priced!!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arzntchr73
Stats: 289/268/250
WOE: Atkins-ish...don't really count carbs
Start Date: Aug 2012
I want to learn more about this HGC stuff. Where can you buy the homeopathic HGC?
arzntchr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzntchr73 View Post
I want to learn more about this HGC stuff. Where can you buy the homeopathic HGC?
We are not allowed to post links here or direct you to a website. It is against TOS on here. But I can post what brand I use, which is Intermountain and I have the pellets.

And the best way to learn about hcg and what to do during the weight loss phase:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...-protocol.html

Last edited by dawnyama; 09-16-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
librarygirl. I gave you the brand: Intermountain. Netrition used to sell that one and it is a very good one. It is what I use now--the pellets. Here ya go:

Low Carb Friends - Announcements in Forum : HCG Diets

They have sold out, but it is very reasonably priced!!
I guess I didn't understand because you said you lost all the weight you needed to lose on hcg, and you said you purchased it several years ago. But you are still using the same batch, and using it to maintain? Sorry I'm confused.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
The hcg does control my hunger some. Wish I could stick with the diet but my body will not let me. I've tried the 500 calories and, to me, it was a miserable WOE.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #47

Quote:
I guess I didn't understand because you said you lost all the weight you needed to lose on hcg, and you said you purchased it several years ago. But you are still using the same batch, and using it to maintain? Sorry I'm confused.
I did use only 3 bottles/and lost all I needed to in 3 rounds. If you read my posts above.....you have to have a plan when you are done to maintain the weight loss. I did buy more after I got to goal because I did not keep it off. Life got in the way---my life has been incredibly stressful and unmanageable these last few years actually--and I regained some weight. This time I am on my umpeenth round so I can get back to goal. I know I am going to get there and cannot wait til I get there. Only 15 days left!!! And no I don't use it when I maintain, you have to have a plan to keep off the weight. I just went nuts with my eating when I got stressed and didn't watch the scale as I should have. Now I am going to keep it off because I have a plan for AFTER.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

That's great, Dawn. I'm sorry I didn't mean to grill you. It's a newbie thing, I guess...wanting to know the success stories of others so that we might do the same. Thanks for explaining everything. You look great!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
Library --

You might want to pop over to the hcg forum and do some reading there -- there's a ton of info to be found.

Short answer to your question: HCG along with the Atkins WOE doesn't really work for most people, though a few have made it work. A lot of folks actually feel great on the 500 calories, as long as the dosing is right with the hcg ... though some of us (like Jonah's Granny, above, and myself) get very weak and dragged out on the 500 calories, even with the hcg.

A bunch of us are experimenting with taking hcg or hhcg and doing a "rogue" plan (more calories, more fats, etc.) with varying degrees of success and/or failure.

Calories do matter, though, no matter how you slice it, with hcg. Not everyone needs to drop as low as 500, but most of us have needed to enforce some kind of calorie control to get results.

8/28:128.6 .... 10/7 118.4 ....10/20: 115.8
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks mini. Do ppl call you monkey or mini, lol? I just starting coming here last week and was interested in all the WOE's. My initial WOE plan was low carb and still is, but I like that there are others out there that I've never tried (besides just counting calories).

LG
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
Library --

You might want to pop over to the hcg forum and do some reading there -- there's a ton of info to be found.

Short answer to your question: HCG along with the Atkins WOE doesn't really work for most people, though a few have made it work. A lot of folks actually feel great on the 500 calories, as long as the dosing is right with the hcg ... though some of us (like Jonah's Granny, above, and myself) get very weak and dragged out on the 500 calories, even with the hcg.

A bunch of us are experimenting with taking hcg or hhcg and doing a "rogue" plan (more calories, more fats, etc.) with varying degrees of success and/or failure.

Calories do matter, though, no matter how you slice it, with hcg. Not everyone needs to drop as low as 500, but most of us have needed to enforce some kind of calorie control to get results.

mini!!!!