LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Beans?

Does anyone include beans in their LC menu? I've just read about including beans in your diet to lose weight. Beans are a good source of protein, right? And 1/2 the carb count is decreased because of the fiber? What's your opinion?
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Furi
WOE: low carb
Start Date: October 2010
Beans are an occasional thing for me, usually made into chocolate cake.
Furi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I eat beans occasionally but I am quite high up the carb ladder...I eat them probably once a month in chili...only because they come in the premade chili meal I buy. They don't like me very much so I only eat them when staying home...awful bloating and....well you know lol.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
There is just such a wide spread in the carb levels folks are able to eat within that still completely qualify them all as eating *low carb*.. and even that term doesn't seem to have any official number. Is a level of 85 low carb? What about 100? Is 150 daily carbs still legitimately within the low carb range of eating. For many, it most assuredly is. And even higher.

Beans are called one of the 'resistant starch foods' and are considered to be beneficial for most people. Here's an example of current thought: "..........Resistant starch is a starch which goes largely undigested by the body. Resistant starches are believed to aid in the maintenance of blood sugar levels, digestion management, as well as maintaining regularity of the bowels and weight loss;management.........."

Resistant starch foods slow down the digestion of the meal, holding down insulin spikes, promote the growth of healthful bacteria in the gut (beans, beans.. the magical fruit..) and much of the actual starch in these foods is not actually digested well nor turned into 'sugar' in the body.

I certainly enjoy beans as one of the wide variety of foods I include in my diet. In fact, it's getting to that time of year when we'll be making big pots of ham and bean soup with lots of big ham chunks and lots of kinds of beans in it! This post is reminding me of that! Yum!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
IMO any whole food is worth self-experimentation. A black bean garnish on a taco salad is not the same thing as a cauldron of lentil soup for instance.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Thanks for your responses! I just really love beans and miss them! There is a bean "diet" out there in the diet world. And since I seem to be at the same weight over the last several months, I thought I might experiment a little .
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
That diet just sounds painful yo me literally...but good luck with whatever you try lol
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jooser
Stats: 188/152/164 (current)/135
WOE: Atkins <25 net carbs
Start Date: January 2008, new start 1/28/11
Yes I do!!!! I only use Black Soy Beans. You can eat an entire can and it's only 3 net carbs!

I make chili, mexican night, humus that is aweome! My mom uses it in her brownies!
Jooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
even though I think soybeans are NOT good for us, I occasionally eat black soybeans as well. they are pretty cheap from amazon on subscription for a dozen cans at once.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaels
Stats: 190/143.4/125 5'3"
Start Date: March 2006
I eat beans a few times a week and consider them healthy and yummy but that said I usually eat a smallish scoop of white beans and pintos mixed on top of a large salad. I also eat a small bowl of lentil soup every now and then but I never eat a large serving or a meal where they are the base (like a black bean burrito).
jaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Like some others here, I only have them occasionally. I had some kidney beans in chili tonight (Saturday). I used to make my chili in a huge pot with three cans of beans. Now I have scaled it back to a smaller pot. Added more meat, and only one can of beans. I will also have the occasional pinto beans in Mexican food, but never the rice.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
beans, beans.. the magical
Without weighing in on the bean question with LC woe...

Pintos in particular have 2 enzymes that are indigestible by most people. That is what causes the gas that so many people experience.

It is not too difficult to get rid of most of those two enzymes. Soaking your beans overnight, dumping the soak water then rinsing the beans thoroughly works very well.

You can also expel them (mostly) by bringing the beans to a boil, allow to boil for a few minutes, remove from heat and sit covered for about an hour. Then dump and rinse well.

=)
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote