Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: icecruiser
Cheat Days, but is it okay?

So last night it was my best friends birthday party, I had only a few fries but I mainly stuck to the diet. However I did have 2 slices of cake which had me a tad worried.

Today my friend made me some biriyani, which I really can't resist not eating. Would 2 cheat days in a row actually be very bad? (I just want to know, will it jeopardize everything?) I have been following a low carb diet for nearly 4 months now, and have noticed very obvious results.

Is it okay for this 1 week to do this?

I just feel a bit guilty thats all.... Anyone else ever done this?
icecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/165/160 , 5'8" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK
Start Date: restart Nov 30th
What do you think? If you feel guilty, theres a reason for that, right? You don't need to forums permission to cheat. It's all you, baby!

Some people can cheat a little and be fine. Some people cheat and it's all over with (me).
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Nah, its just a one of thing.

After seeing the results with the diet I am not gonna let a cheat day ruin it all..

Just wanted to know if its SOMETHING really bad? Sorry, just wanted opinions
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/165/160 , 5'8" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK
Start Date: restart Nov 30th
It's as bad as you think it is. If you know that you can't handle it, then it's bad. If you can jump right back on, then it's not a big deal, right? You can't go you whole life without "cheating"...what kind of life is that? There will be b-days, weddings, anniverseries, but it's up to you how you want to celebrate them.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Depends too on whether it will derail you from getting Back on LC! With me in the past even 1 cheat would have thrown me completly off lc now i've Learned that one meal off lc isn't gonna kill me. Do I still feel guilty? Oh Yah! Because it makes me wonder if that pizza or cake etc that I ate was really worth it! But this is a life style change for me Not a diet so I have to learn How to eat and what I can't eat
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
I don't see a problem with it, as long as you get back on the train immediately afterwards. To err is human, after all. I'm in maintenance and I had two cheat days in a row this week, but two days later, I'm literally back down the same weight I usually hold.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wkupharm
Stats: 329/170/160
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 07/2004
Just don't let two days turn into two weeks. I have a planned cheat day every week(Saturday), its what keeps me focused and very strict through the week. But I jump right back on Sunday (usually meat and eggs all day) and lots of water. Savor your cheat if you do have it, just don't let it debunk your success.
wkupharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
if u and your metabolism can handle it, it won't hurt.

However, these excursions into off-plan "sampling" are insidious, and speaking from experience, wind up being 24/7 off plan binging. I pray that you can withstand such temptations. (btw low carb binging is off-plan as well. Dr Atkins never meant us to eat in an uncontrolled manner). Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I guess I see a planned cheat/treat as OK, like an occasional glass of wine or something like that. If you're having cheats/treats all the time then that is your normal diet and not a treat anymore, KWIM?

Last weekend I planned to have a soft pretzel. I ate zero carb all day and drank tons of water. You know what? I enjoyed it immensely and hopped back on the wagon. It helped me to get back on the wagon because it upset my stomach for 2 days (I am diagnosed as gluten intolerant). The pain I was in means I won't be doing that again for a while. That pretzel was good for the moment though.

But I treated the cheat as a very deliberate act and planned for it, rather than a moment of weakness where I just ate something without thinking.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the responses

Yep, back on track now!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ahogue81
WOE: Low Carb
Here is my example, my childrens birthday party was this past Saturday and I ate pizza because that is what we had, well I didnt eat any cake, but for the past three nights (some people will thinks this is gross) I LOVE ICING...I ate all the icing off of the part that was left of the cake. So many people can cheat and it be no big deal, but if you feel guilty afterwards and still kinda cheat for the next couple of days then you are in the same boat as me, which means no cheating!!!
ahogue81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
McK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McK
Stats: 255.5/243.5/150 high was 264 in May
WOE: Atkins 72
It depends how you handle life after the cheat. If you can get right back it is cool, but for me the cravings are so intense that the next couple of days are so much harder to deal with. Now that I am aware of what causes that, I hope I can stick it out and stay on plan but in the past a bit of cheating led to totally giving up and going back to eating in the way that makes me fat and sick.
McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
I agree with everyone else. It all depends on if you hop back into eating what you need to in order to lose or let it spiral out of control. You have to personally be accountable on that part. I just finished induction but am staying low. Will I be able to handle cheat days? I think with planning but not right now. It really depends on you. Good luck!
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlwaysHungry
Stats: 173/150/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Personally I don't think 2 days of off plan eating will cause you to regain all your weight back but the problem resides in the fact that it gets harder and harder to get back on track the longer you stay off plan.

I've gone into a week long binge fest just because I thought a handful of popcorn couldn't hurt me.
AlwaysHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
I've gone into a week long binge fest just because I thought a handful of popcorn couldn't hurt me.
This is what scares me! I have gone off plan on a very rare occasion, but I still have that horrible fear that I won't be able to get back on track. so far I have been fine, but I don't eat gluten no matter what. It makes me too sick. If I have an off plan treat, it is either potatoes or corn.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecruiser View Post
So last night it was my best friends birthday party, I had only a few fries but I mainly stuck to the diet. However I did have 2 slices of cake which had me a tad worried.

Today my friend made me some biriyani, which I really can't resist not eating. Would 2 cheat days in a row actually be very bad? (I just want to know, will it jeopardize everything?) I have been following a low carb diet for nearly 4 months now, and have noticed very obvious results.

Is it okay for this 1 week to do this?

I just feel a bit guilty thats all.... Anyone else ever done this?
I do one meal a week, but no more.... to each his own on this, some can do it, but to others its starts them down that slippery slope.

Good Luck
-Dave
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Use this week as your "learning experiment"...if you can get right back to clean eating,and continue to lose (or quickly get back to your pre-cheat weight if your weight pops up a little with the cheat) then you will know that you can have the very occasional cheat day and not have it affect you badly for the long-term.

But if you find out 2 pieces of cake turns into a 3 lb. weight gain...and triggers every crazy carb craving you can't resist...and causes you to binge for a week. Well, then you will know you are among the people that absolutely cannot have an occasional cheat day.

No need to feel guilty about it. See if it works for you. If it works, great, you'll know for next special occasion what you can eat. If it causes the binges, then you will know that too, for the future. And can make a conscious, educated decision about whether you want to eat the cake & suffer the consequences...or skip it if you don't want the negative outcome. Each person is different and you won't know until you try it how your metabolism (and brain!) are going to react to the extra carbs...and sugar.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
The only problem I find with cheating the two days and then again for the special treat your friend is making is that all of a sudden there is a different special treat that comes along every day. Like I had that treat yesterday so I will have a mocha at starbucks today and then the next day...ooo baklava....haven't had real home made baklava in years so why not ?It's just this once...just be careful because I find this is usually how it happens for me...I could find a special occasion or treat to justify going off plan each and everyday.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
The only problem I find with cheating the two days and then again for the special treat your friend is making is that all of a sudden there is a different special treat that comes along every day. Like I had that treat yesterday so I will have a mocha at starbucks today and then the next day...ooo baklava....haven't had real home made baklava in years so why not ?It's just this once...just be careful because I find this is usually how it happens for me...I could find a special occasion or treat to justify going off plan each and everyday.
This is VERY true...which is why you have to be very selective about what and how often you will go off-plan. If it's truly something special, like your son's wedding, grandchild's birthday, or your wedding anniversary...go for it. If it's the weekly office potluck with an over-abundance of desserts, skip it! And def skip the no-special-occasion-at-all indulgences like haven't-had-it-for-a-long-time-pastry, or the Starbucks lattes or your friend offering to share popcorn at the movies...those are just daily temptations, not special occasions, lol.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #20

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Well, I can't say how it will affect you. I'd never even heard of biriyani.

Had to look it up online. Oh, yum! That sound fabulous, and I love eastern foods.

If you can get yourself back onto your plan, you will have done yourself no lasting damage, and your weight loss should continue with only a blip to show for this cheat. However, if your plan is a low carb one these are foods that are not generally allowed on those types of diet plans, so maybe hold those cheats to a minimum from now on.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
This is VERY true...which is why you have to be very selective about what and how often you will go off-plan. If it's truly something special, like your son's wedding, grandchild's birthday, or your wedding anniversary...go for it. If it's the weekly office potluck with an over-abundance of desserts, skip it! And def skip the no-special-occasion-at-all indulgences like haven't-had-it-for-a-long-time-pastry, or the Starbucks lattes or your friend offering to share popcorn at the movies...those are just daily temptations, not special occasions, lol.
I love the point about distinguishing between daily temptations and rare special occasions.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm thinking of indulging in cake Monday at our labor day/ inlaws anniversary party. I haven't had a "cheat" in Months so I figure i'm due LOL. I Do know if I do cheat i'll be right back on track tuesday and that doesn't mean i'll throw my common sense out the window but eatting burger with the bun etc. I just know my brother in law is bringing cake from this Awesome bakery and I wanna piece! Lol
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
I'm thinking of indulging in cake Monday at our labor day/ inlaws anniversary party. I haven't had a "cheat" in Months so I figure i'm due LOL. I Do know if I do cheat i'll be right back on track tuesday and that doesn't mean i'll throw my common sense out the window but eatting burger with the bun etc. I just know my brother in law is bringing cake from this Awesome bakery and I wanna piece! Lol
I'll be interested to hear whether you still like cake as much as you used to before doing this woe.

I ate a couple of bites of chocolate cake at a birthday party, and that was absolutely all I wanted, because the cake tasted cloyingly sweet to me. (Friends who were with me ate large slices with evident enjoyment, so I know there was nothing wrong with the cake, per se.) My anti-cake reaction may be due to my not eating sweeteners for 8 months, though, rather than due to avoiding regular sugar and flour. Anyway, after those 2 bites of cake, I find it easier to pass on regular sweets, since I know that my tastes and tastebuds have changed.

Princessmommy, I think it's great that you are making a conscious decision about that cake before the party, and planning to get back on track afterwards, but you might want to take a test bite before taking a whole slice. If it still tastes wonderful to you, then go for it and enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Svan! I will try that instead of eatting a whole piece. Heck one bite may be all I want. Especially since I haven't had anything like cake in over 3 month! Lol I really don't miss it though so I may just not eat it. Eatting lc has become an ingrained "Habit" now! Lol
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #25

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
My 1 cheat can turn into a year..........sigh!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Svan! I will try that instead of eatting a whole piece. Heck one bite may be all I want. Especially since I haven't had anything like cake in over 3 month! Lol I really don't miss it though so I may just not eat it. Eatting lc has become an ingrained "Habit" now! Lol
You may be satisfied with a bite or two, even if the cake tastes good to you. I think this woe makes us much more mindful of what we are eating, and for some people just a bite or two of something off plan is enough to feel like one isn't deprived.

Great to hear that eating lc has become your ingrained habit now--that's a wonderful recipe for long-term success.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well I decided to make a LC cheesecake! That way even If there Is cake I can have cheesecake and Still be Ok. I'm hoping that way If the sweet cravings hit i'm eatting lc still instead of cake. That's the plan anyway and yay plans change Lol
Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
well I decided to make a LC cheesecake! That way even If there Is cake I can have cheesecake and Still be Ok. I'm hoping that way If the sweet cravings hit i'm eatting lc still instead of cake. That's the plan anyway and yay plans change Lol
And that is a great solution. Way to go, Princessmommy! And I'll bet the other guests will love to have some of your yummy cheesecake, too.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I tried doing a cheat MEAL and that worked so well that the next week I decided to do a cheat DAY. A week later and I'm still off track.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Ok I totally want a recipe for lc cheescake. I have heard way to many people talk about it. I want in on the goods too. Seriously, can you pass it to me???

As far as a cheat meal goes, I can have one once in a blue moon...that's just one meal. Not a whole day of cheats. I feel to guilty even with the one meal. Its just not for me. I rush to get back on track so I don't forget this WOE...its possible you know

Last edited by baileygirl3; 08-31-2012 at 04:04 PM..
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote