LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
It only took 11 years!!

After 11 years I have finally made my goal weight!

I started LC in August of 2001 and in a little over I year I went from 257 to 165. Over the next 9.5 years I bounced around between 175 and 165, occasionally dipping down to 162☺.

Over the years I stopped even trying to get lower and just accepted that I wasn’t ever going to make my goal of 150. I was happy that at least I could maintain my loss as long as I stayed LC. I stayed off the scale, ate organic and pastured, and generally was okay about my weight which stayed in the 165-175 range. In 2008 I worked out like a fiend and cut my intake drastically and was able to get down to 162 for my wedding. By the end of 2008 I was right back at 170ish and just happy that I wasn't heavier.

Things changed a little over a year ago when I was diagnosed hypothyroid (I’ve probably had it for many years, but life circumstances brought it to the forefront). I began a search for proper treatment and the right doctor that took almost a year. Around the same time I developed chronic sciatica pain which was finally resolved in January of this year with surgery to remove a cyst from my lumbar spine.

After the surgery I was determined to getting the hypothyroid treated properly. In March I found a new naturopath, got more extensive testing, was referred to an endocrinologist, and finally got the correct dosage of thyroid hormone in June.

Around the same time I read Jimmy Moore’s blog post about nutritional ketosis and decided to give it a try. I read both of the Art and Science of Low Carb books, sent away for my free ketone meter and started making changes in my diet. I was already LC, but I lowered protein and replaced it with fat while limiting my total intake. I also came back here to LCF--the support that I've gotten over the years has been invaluable. You guys really are the best.

I was 175 at the naturopath’s office in March. Yesterday I hit my goal weight of 150! I am planning to use my meter and nutritional ketosis guidelines for maintenance. I have to say I'm a bit worried about being able to maintain this new low weight.

I have a few pictures to share from over the years. I don’t have a full-body shot right now. Hopefully I can get my DH to take some over the long weekend.

I will say that I started out a size 22 and when I went shopping last weekend I was an 8-10. 10 was my goal size! I have never worn an 8 in my adult life--yet I wore size 8 slacks to work yesterday.

Me at my highest 257 pounds in about 2000:

Pretty early on after I started LC:

During my long stall-I was probably around 165:

At my wedding in 2008, around 162:

And 10 days ago:
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
You are an inspiration to us, Kristn! And you look absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing your story, and for being so kind and supportive to others in your posts, especially on the nutritional ketosis thread. I'm sure that you are helping many other people not give up after long, frustrating stalls.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Congratulations! Your story is very inspirational, and you look amazing!
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AlieKatt
Stats: 272/229.8/150
WOE: Low carb, moderate protein, high fat
Start Date: July 2012
You are absolutely amazing. A true example of determination and self love. Congratualtions! I too hope to share such a success story.
AlieKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I know you have been working hard.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
My hat is off to you----- your persistance is off the charts!!! Congrats!!! You look wonderful!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much you guys! I am always so inspired reading other people's stories--it's great to be able to post one of my own.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG, what an inspiration you are for so many of us. I've been hanging at 160-170 for over 2 years and you give me hope. I've started eating Paleo this month as well. I'm so happy for you! And so glad they finally got your thyroid meds at optimal dosage to allow you to drop on down to goal weigh! WAY TO GO!!!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Congratulations - what an inspirational story
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Awesome, I love your story!!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Just - wow!
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/294/287
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
Wow! This is the kind of story I love to read. I totally respect those that have dropped pounds, be it short or long-term, but to see this lifestyle change for over 11 years is simply inspiring. My hats off to you. Oh, and don't we just look as happy as we can be. I am so happy for and proud of you!

Last edited by RobMan; 08-28-2012 at 07:18 PM..
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
What an inspiration ! WTG !! Pics are amazing
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
Start Date: 5/22/11
Wow that is awesome! I just posted a thread asking what the secret was to losing the last 10 lbs, so this is perfect timing!

How much of your final push do you think was due to the ketosis and how much due to the thyroid? I went to an endocrinologist last year and he said my thyroid was fine, but I have my suspicions that something could be off. He was also not at all informed on the low carb lifestyle - which surprised me given that he's an endocrinologist - but he was rated well in the area.

I will be sure to read up on your ketosis thread - I have looked at it a few times but it is verrrry active.

Congrats again!!!

Mike
miker295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Congrats, and you look outstanding in the photos! A huge kudos on your willpower and strength to stay at it 11 years even with many years of stalls in there.

Keep up the excellent work!
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Congratulations! I've got to tell you, you look pretty darn cute at 165!
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again everyone! It's funny but I never even thought about quitting. I just didn't want to go back to where I started and I figured that not reaching goal was still 90ish pounds down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Wow that is awesome! I just posted a thread asking what the secret was to losing the last 10 lbs, so this is perfect timing!

How much of your final push do you think was due to the ketosis and how much due to the thyroid? I went to an endocrinologist last year and he said my thyroid was fine, but I have my suspicions that something could be off. He was also not at all informed on the low carb lifestyle - which surprised me given that he's an endocrinologist - but he was rated well in the area.

I will be sure to read up on your ketosis thread - I have looked at it a few times but it is verrrry active.

Congrats again!!!

Mike
Thanks! I think that getting the Thyroid worked out made it possible, but I wouldn't have dropped the pounds without the nutritional ketosis.

If you suspect thyroid you should check out the thyroid board here and also the Stop the Thyroid Madness website. I see that you're in Seattle! I would start with a Naturopath rather than an endo. The Naturopath who set me on the right track was Wendy Ellis who's at the Tahoma Clinic branch in Seattle. At the time I saw her I was pretty strictly Paleo and she was very supportive. After pretty extensive testing she sent me to the endo (Robert Murray at the Polyclinic) when my testing revealed very high cortisol. I've been happy with him for my thyroid, but probably wouldn't see him for an initial diagnosis or LC diet support. Dr. Ellis started me on supplements for the cortisol and a few other small hormonal issues which have since resolved. I'm happy to have them both helping me.

There's also a low carb doctor blog which lists LC doctors who might be helpful in testing if you're stuck. I was particularly intrigued by Integrative Medical Weight Management in Seattle. She's a nurse practitioner but it looks like she does a lot of testing and is LC. If I had known about her earlier I might have started there.

And please join us on the nutritional ketosis thread! Everyone is welcome.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
I just had to come back to thank you for this thread! After first posting I went to Jimmy Moore's and read about nutritional ketosis and then I went to Amazon and ordered the two books! This sounds so interesting and it might be what I need to get off these 15 pounds that have crept on from no where.

Are you still doing Paleo? I'm doing Paleo and have eliminated dairy from my diet. It sounds like Jimmy Moore gets a lot of his fat from dairy. How did you up your fats? I'm thinking coconut oil and avocados, but I'm not sure what else to use.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcgirl42 View Post
I just had to come back to thank you for this thread! After first posting I went to Jimmy Moore's and read about nutritional ketosis and then I went to Amazon and ordered the two books! This sounds so interesting and it might be what I need to get off these 15 pounds that have crept on from no where.

Are you still doing Paleo? I'm doing Paleo and have eliminated dairy from my diet. It sounds like Jimmy Moore gets a lot of his fat from dairy. How did you up your fats? I'm thinking coconut oil and avocados, but I'm not sure what else to use.
I'm so glad that it was helpful!

Come take a look at our Nutritional Ketosis thread here on LCF (link is in my signature). And please feel free to join in!

I'm not 100% paleo, but still eat pastured meats, organic produce, and lots of coconut. I had eliminated dairy, but have added back some cheese while getting into nutritional ketosis. I also use coconut oil, coconut cream, and EVOO. I plan on adding back in avocados soon.

Take Jimmy's posts with a grain of salt. The key to nutritional ketosis is finding your right gram level of protein and carbs and then adjusting fat to lose weight. The authors of the books say that this will be about 65%-85% fat depending on your goals--going too high with fat can stop weight loss. Jimmy is stuck on 85% fat but on our thread we are achieving nutritional ketosis and weight loss at a slightly lower level (I've been 70% to 75%).

There is a great recent interview on Jimmy's blog with Stephen Phinney about breaking long-term stalls and nutritional ketosis.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Way to go! It's AWESOME when people stick with it, stay healthy and ultimately achieve their goals! You give me so much inspiration. Thank you for sharing!!
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
You look 11 yrs younger than the first picture!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
Start Date: January2012
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Girl, you look amazing! What a fabulous job you have done. I think you will be able to maintain just fine, its all about finding your happy place and I think you have found yours! Congrats!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks! I think that getting the Thyroid worked out made it possible, but I wouldn't have dropped the pounds without the nutritional ketosis.

If you suspect thyroid you should check out the thyroid board here and also the Stop the Thyroid Madness website. I see that you're in Seattle! I would start with a Naturopath rather than an endo. The Naturopath who set me on the right track was Wendy Ellis who's at the Tahoma Clinic branch in Seattle. At the time I saw her I was pretty strictly Paleo and she was very supportive. After pretty extensive testing she sent me to the endo (Robert Murray at the Polyclinic) when my testing revealed very high cortisol. I've been happy with him for my thyroid, but probably wouldn't see him for an initial diagnosis or LC diet support. Dr. Ellis started me on supplements for the cortisol and a few other small hormonal issues which have since resolved. I'm happy to have them both helping me.

There's also a low carb doctor blog which lists LC doctors who might be helpful in testing if you're stuck. I was particularly intrigued by Integrative Medical Weight Management in Seattle. She's a nurse practitioner but it looks like she does a lot of testing and is LC. If I had known about her earlier I might have started there.

And please join us on the nutritional ketosis thread! Everyone is welcome.
THANK YOU for such great advice, including the Seattle referrals! I have already spent 2 hours reading the ketosis thread and am only on page 6 of 16. I actually started the ketosis thing around the time your thread appeared and had good initial results, though I've cheated a few times and it set me back BIG.

I've been using the keytostrips but am having the NovaMax FedExed to me right away! I am going to check the NovaMax first and then go to a naturopath if I plateau again. I've tracked my food for a few days and have been in the 70%/26%/5% range so I think I am good, but maybe I need to up the fat and drop the protein just a bit more. I tend to have my coconut oil in a protein shake 2x a day so that could be the problem. I am definitely in the .6 to 1g per lb of LBM range but my calories tend to hover around 2k so maybe they are too high.

I will keep at it and greatly appreciate the referrals. I can't wait to finish catching up on the other thread too!

Thanks,

Mike
miker295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Congrats to you that you made it! And congrats on maintaining long enough to make it to the goal too! That's 2 successes in one!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
Wow!!! You look wonderful!!! Congrats!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
YAHOOOOOOO!!!!! Way to not give up....that's awesome!
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Wow wow wow, you look so healthy and beautiful! Congratulations!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
A great big congratulations!! You look wonderful and give me hope!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
Thank you for posting! You look years younger and not even like the same person. Thank you for showing us we can do this!

Val
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote