Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
I had to stop the cravings with eating low carb. EXERCISE helps. I also had to realize that food was controling me. I have control over my food now.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear6 View Post
A trick for me when I DO occasionally feel compelled to feed my emotions, is to make a cup of chamomile tea and relax on the sofa or in bed with a book. The book is key, because it gets me out of my own head for a while and thinking about other things.
You can do it!
Chamomile tea

My brother bought me an e-reader...I it, and download books to it from the library online, and keep it at my bedside for my quiet time...this too has helped me alot
And the best thing is I don't have to worry about returning books to the library....

He bought it cheap at Big Lots a few months back for $20
Its a Pandigital Novel...Nothing fancy
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
The biggest revelation of my LC journey so far was that what I thought was emotional eating was really just the carbs making me want to eat more. Once I kicked the carbs, I didn't want to eat anymore to deal with emotions. Sometimes I still overeat out of habit, but I almost never have that feeling of, "I'm stressed out, I want a pizza!" anymore.

It's honestly the biggest WTH of my life. All this time I thought I was an out-of-control eater, and I was really just reacting biologically to the carbs. When I realized that, it blew my mind.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #34
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The biggest revelation of my LC journey so far was that what I thought was emotional eating was really just the carbs making me want to eat more. Once I kicked the carbs, I didn't want to eat anymore to deal with emotions. Sometimes I still overeat out of habit, but I almost never have that feeling of, "I'm stressed out, I want a pizza!" anymore.

It's honestly the biggest WTH of my life. All this time I thought I was an out-of-control eater, and I was really just reacting biologically to the carbs. When I realized that, it blew my mind.
Yes, this was a pretty profound realization for me as well.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/216/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:

Well duh, that was a big ol' slap upside my head. When I read that, I was thinking, "Hey, that's me!" I keep waiting for the ball to drop on my emotions and start obsessing over food again, but guess what..It hasn't happened! I must have been reacting to the carbs too. We are not as bad as we thought
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:

Exactly!! We need a "like" on here.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
Gallery: starryblu
Stats: 203/199/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: august 2012
one of my biggest reactions to reading everyone's posts was wanting to cry....

you have all given such fantastic input and are all so positive! and so kind and helpful.

i'm still trying to get it into my head that i can do this. i do believe in the basics of low carb eating. my problem is making myself realize i have to follow the rules. even though i am eating a completely different diet, i still want what i want....as far as trying to use my carbs i'm allowed, i want to eat them as artificial sweeteners. i still want my glass of wine. i need to get it in my head that i need to give them up for a while....and what's even harder for me to realize, is that i CAN give them up.

i have been working on a low carb transformation for about a month or so now. some days i do really good, some days it all goes out the window. so for that reason, i have lost 5 lbs, and then gained them back plus about 3 more. i'm so frustrated with myself. i really want to do this!

thank you all so much for your help....it has given me lots of "food" for thought. i'm going to continue to sort through this post, and use it to get my feet under myself and do what i really want to do.

you are amazing people, and i feel so lucky to be reading your advice/input.

my best to you all...
starryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
I have emotionally eat for 30+ years. I still do at times, but I try to keep snacks/food available that are 0 carbs like pork rinds or baked chicken. I swear there have been days where I ate a whole chicken at one meal...just to eat, but it was 0 carbs. I go in stores and see ice cream, candy bars, REAL Coke, etc and for a split second I want it, then I remember what it will do to me and I tell myself its not worth it.

Another thing I do is try to distract myself when I get in one of those moods. I make myself read a book, watch a tv show or go outside and do something. Anything to get my mind off food.

Its tough, I know. But its all a mental game. You just have to make yourself declare checkmate ;-)
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear6 View Post
A trick for me when I DO occasionally feel compelled to feed my emotions, is to make a cup of chamomile tea and relax on the sofa or in bed with a book. The book is key, because it gets me out of my own head for a while and thinking about other things.
You can do it!
Unfortunately for me books mean food - it's a coping mechanism I've had since childhood. I still find it hard to read without having snack food on the side - often LC, but in too-large amounts - and of course it's mindless munching until I'm stuffed. I will even get more food even when I'm not hungry because I wasn't finished reading yet.

It's a pity because I've always loved reading - though sometimes I wonder if the food had anything to do with that.

Last edited by cammie; 09-03-2012 at 07:14 AM..
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
oh, and one quick remark/question:

i love to read and research on issues that are close to my heart. i would really like to read the books that have been mentioned...i'm just having a hard time deciding what to start with! all these books that have been posted about have great feedback. i have seen Julia Ross mentioned the most. are there any others that are particularly helpful?

i'm a huge fan of books, and love to shop for them. i particularly like ones that can be downloaded to my kindle. seems the ones i really want to read tend to be pricey tho sooo.....as much as i want to jump in and buy them all, on a tight budget i need to choose carefully, don'tcha know?

thanks again!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammie View Post
Unfortunately for me books mean food - it's a coping mechanism I've had since childhood. I still find it hard to read without having snack food on the side - and of course it's mindless munching until I'm stuffed. I will even get more food even when I'm not hungry because I wasn't finished reading yet.

It's a pity because I've always loved reading - though sometimes I wonder if the food had anything to do with that.
oh my gosh, you are my book-soul twin lol....

there is nothing i love more than a good book and a huge bowl of popcorn...with a diet soda on the side, and an m&m chaser.

i'm trying to be more open-minded though. i don't read nearly as much as i used to, due to the fact that i think i have to eat while doing so. i miss my books. i enjoy them more than a good movie or tv show. i think that would be a good focus for me....to stop the munchies while i'm reading.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryblu View Post
oh my gosh, you are my book-soul twin lol....

there is nothing i love more than a good book and a huge bowl of popcorn...with a diet soda on the side, and an m&m chaser.

i'm trying to be more open-minded though. i don't read nearly as much as i used to, due to the fact that i think i have to eat while doing so. i miss my books. i enjoy them more than a good movie or tv show. i think that would be a good focus for me....to stop the munchies while i'm reading.
We are SERIOUSLY book-soul twins!! Those were MY book foods too before I began eating LC, although some days I swapped crisps (potato chips) for the popcorn. The M&Ms and diet coke were constants! These days I will reach for nuts or cream cheese clouds but they're such high-calorie foods that I end up with the same problem.

I really wish you luck dealing with it, so far I cope by mostly avoiding books.
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryblu View Post
oh, and one quick remark/question:

i love to read and research on issues that are close to my heart. i would really like to read the books that have been mentioned...i'm just having a hard time deciding what to start with! all these books that have been posted about have great feedback. i have seen Julia Ross mentioned the most. are there any others that are particularly helpful?

i'm a huge fan of books, and love to shop for them. i particularly like ones that can be downloaded to my kindle. seems the ones i really want to read tend to be pricey tho sooo.....as much as i want to jump in and buy them all, on a tight budget i need to choose carefully, don'tcha know?

thanks again!!
When I see a book recommended here I download a sample on my Kindle to see if it is something I would like to have or explore more. I have tons of samples on my Kindle right now. A lot of them I found by recommendation here at LCFs. I suggest you download the sample of all the books listed to see which one you would prefer to have.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
When I see a book recommended here I download a sample on my Kindle to see if it is something I would like to have or explore more. I have tons of samples on my Kindle right now. A lot of them I found by recommendation here at LCFs. I suggest you download the sample of all the books listed to see which one you would prefer to have.
This is what I do and I didn't think to mention it...great advice
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Recognizing that a bad day = stress. Stress = a physiological response to 'shore up'. 'Shoring up' is the bodies attempt to prepare for hard times.

You know on an intellectual level that you do not need to shore up. Recognizing this as a trigger and finding new coping strategies for dealing with a physiological stress response is the key. But mostly to remember that it is not your emotions but rather your body that is the root of the response to a bad day.
Awesome post, Cathy.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:

YES! This is exactly how I feel. On carbs, I'm a crazy person doing crazy things like planning what I'll eat, hiding wrappers, lying about food. Off carbs, I feel sane and normal. It is like a new lease on life.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Subscribing, cause I need to read more on this. Big issue for me, too.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I hate to say this, but for me it's fear. I've been overweight since kindergarten and obese most of my life. I've been on a very slow weight loss curve and have lost quite a bit. I have more to lose, though The thing right now that is keeping me honest is being diagnosed as diabetic. I switched to LCHF about a year and a half ago (at time of diagnosis) and that has definitely gotten rid of the cravings. But, I still have many times when I just want to stuff my face.I just want to throw food into my mouth and down my throat. So far, I've been able to resist out of fear. I don't want diabetic complications, and my bs numbers going up are a big fear. So, I guess I kind of had to hit bottom.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I am working on it...But still suffering the consequences of emotional eating...I think I am overcoming it little by little
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Old thread.. lol

I had no choice to stop. Food actually stopped working after about a year or so of so much crap food and I still felt every ounce of pain/rage/whatever my problem was. Then my weight started going up again and my clothes were no longer fitting so I didn't even want to leave the house anymore except for work and Starbucks drive thru windows. I ended up losing cravings and my appetite..which is when I ended up back on keto/low carb because if I had no cravings anyway I might as well just drop everything completely..and it worked.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote