Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nihon Noir
High Fat?

Hey,

I'm trying to do a low-carb/high fat diet in order to trigger ketosis, and I'm having a little trouble with planning my meals. So far, I think I've gotten the low-carb thing down (yesterday I ate 36 grams of carbs and 11 grams of sugar), but I'm having trouble with the high-fat part of it. When I Google, I get things like whoppers and pot-pies.

Can anyone give me some ideas of acceptable high-fat foods that don't have too much protein? I see nuts listed, but they have a lot of carbs in them, too. So which nuts would be best? And would deep-frying a grilled chicken breast in canola oil be acceptable, with some steamed broccoli?

Here are my goals and counts from yesterday - what do you guys think? I stopped eating after I blew my carb count, so I don't usually end up under my calorie goal like that.

Total carbs: 36g
Carb Goal: 30g

Total Fat: 69g
Fat Goal: 93g

Total Protein: 64g
Protein total: 60g

Total Fiber: 4g
Fiber Goal: 25g

Total Sugar: 11g
Sugar Goal: 20g

Total Calories: 1,090
Calorie Goal: 1,200

So I need more fiber and more fat, right?
Here's what I ate yesterday.

Lunch
Onions - Raw, 1 slice, medium (1/8" thick)
Aldi Little Salad Bar - Spring Mix Lettuce Blend, 2 cups (85g)
Raw Green Bell Peppersfor Tacos - Green Bell Peppers, 5 strips
Lunch Mate - Aldi - Premium Black Forest Ham, 2 oz
Aldi Tuscan Garden - Real Bacon Bits, 1.5 Tbsp (7g)
Aldis Tuscan Garden - Garlic Caesar Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp
Aldi - Tuscan Garden - Cheese Garlic Croutons, 6 croutons
Aldi Happy Farms - Italian Style Shredded Cheese, 1/4 Cup

Dinner
Aldi - Fresh Salad - Iceberg Lettuce, 43.2 g (1 Cup)
Walmart Great Value All Natural: 80/20 Ground Beef Chuck - Ground Beef, 0.33 lbs.
Aldi Happy Farms - Italian Style Shredded Cheese, 0.175 Cup
Taco Bell Home Originals Mild Restaurant Sauce - Mild Restaurant Sauce (5g/Tsp), 2 tsp
Tomatoes - Grape Tomatoes (Net Carbs), 1 oz
La Banderita - Low Carb Low Fat Soft Taco *Net Carbs, 2 tortilla
Friendly Farms (Aldi) - Sour Cream, 1 Tbsp (15g) 30
Mezzetta - Golden Pepperoncini Peppers, 0.99 peppers (30g)

Snacks
Great Value - Whipped Topping, 3 Tbsp
Back to Nature - Triple Ginger Cookies, 1 cookies
Birds Eye - Fresh Frozen Coconut, 1 tbsp 23

I'd like to get my carb goal a little lower, between 20 and 30, and I'd like to raise the amount of natural fat that I'm eating. Any advice?

Thank you.

Last edited by Nihon Noir; 08-21-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Nihon Noir is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
One tip: Shred your own cheese from a block. The pre-shredded stuff is notorious for having added starch or flour to keep the shreds separate.

Skip the cookies and whipped topping.

Use butter or coconut oil to cook with; add more mayonnaise (not miracle whip) or use more salad dressings on your salads.
Avocadoes are a great low-carb source of fat.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Here are some things I use to add fat to my diet:
--generous amounts of dressing on salads (I make my own salad dressing, to use healthier oils like olive oil)
--Butter on vegetables
--Coconut butter eaten off a spoon at the end of meals
--Avocadoes
--Portion controlled (1/4 cup or less) amounts of nuts (esp. almonds and macademias)
--Triple cream cheeses
-- Sour cream
-- Mayonnaise (homemade to use healthier oils, avoid sweeteners) for egg/tuna/chicken salad and vegetable-based main dish salad, often mixed with sour cream
--Butter or coconut oil for cooking eggs, browning meat, etc.
--Cream in iced coffee
--Bacon or sausage for breakfast
--Recipes that use cream (e.g., crustless quiches, chicken tiki masala) or butter (e.g., liver pate) in generous quantities
--Dips made with cream cheese and other ingredients (e.g., pesto, salsa) for flavoring, spread on flax crackers or as dip for raw veggies

I'm avoiding all grains and all artificial and regular sweeteners. I'd drop the cookies, preprepared whipped topping (make your own from heavy cream), croutons, and tacos, on my plan, but you may allow yourself more leeway. If you are following Atkins induction, drop the grains. That's my advice, for what it's worth. Good luck.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I'm following a high fat/mod protein/low carb diet...I'm starting to notice weight loss eating this way, too! Cool! Here is what I do:

: Butter, butter, butter (in my coffee (unsalted), generously cook with it , slather it on my veggies, use it as a topping for meat (like steak)...I love it so it isn't a hardship to eat it. I use the Kerry Gold kind because it comes from grass-fed cows and has a better nutrition profile

Coconut/Coconut oil: I use this to mix into plain yogurt and the oil I sometimes eat off the spoon

Heavy cream: in my coffee and sometimes I drink 2-3 ounces of it

fatty meat

cheese

These are my basics. I am eating over 100g of fat daily and lost 2lbs the first day....most likely because the fat killed my appetite.

Best wishes and hope this helps! I don't eat any artificial sweeteners at all...no wheat or grain products, too.

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Never eat a boiled egg when a deviled egg will do!

I use nuts -- macadamias especially, but almonds, brazils, etc, as well. (Avoid cashews, as being too carb-heavy and low in fat).

Avocado, olives, and cream cheese are your friends.

Things like flax seed meal can also be an excellent source of both fiber and fat.

As others have said, you might want to consider cutting out things like croutons and tortillas, if you're trying to get into ketosis.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I also noticed the croutons and cookie. Low carb tortillas I'd lose until you're past the first two weeks. Keep it simple - meats, veggies, fat (butter on your veggies, coconut oil to sautee your meats in or bacon fat). You won't get into ketosis at all with the carby items.

Are you following the Atkins diet? The best thing to do would be to read the book for the plan you're following. Most of them give you menu ideas too.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Why are you not eating any meat?
I get all my fat from my meat, but you have none!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
If memory serves, the two ingredients in the "fat fast" are cream cheese and macadamia nuts ... Those should be on your list, for sure!
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Lunch
Onions - Raw, 1 slice, medium (1/8" thick)
Aldi Little Salad Bar - Spring Mix Lettuce Blend, 2 cups (85g)
Raw Green Bell Peppersfor Tacos - Green Bell Peppers, 5 strips
Lunch Mate - Aldi - Premium Black Forest Ham, 2 oz
Aldi Tuscan Garden - Real Bacon Bits, 1.5 Tbsp (7g)
Aldis Tuscan Garden - Garlic Caesar Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp
Aldi - Tuscan Garden - Cheese Garlic Croutons, 6 croutons
Aldi Happy Farms - Italian Style Shredded Cheese, 1/4 Cup

Dinner
Aldi - Fresh Salad - Iceberg Lettuce, 43.2 g (1 Cup)
Walmart Great Value All Natural: 80/20 Ground Beef Chuck - Ground Beef, 0.33 lbs.
Aldi Happy Farms - Italian Style Shredded Cheese, 0.175 Cup
Taco Bell Home Originals Mild Restaurant Sauce - Mild Restaurant Sauce (5g/Tsp), 2 tsp
Tomatoes - Grape Tomatoes (Net Carbs), 1 oz
La Banderita - Low Carb Low Fat Soft Taco *Net Carbs, 2 tortilla
Friendly Farms (Aldi) - Sour Cream, 1 Tbsp (15g) 30
Mezzetta - Golden Pepperoncini Peppers, 0.99 peppers (30g)

Snacks
Great Value - Whipped Topping, 3 Tbsp
Back to Nature - Triple Ginger Cookies, 1 cookies
The food items I have bolded, are the ones I would eliminate entirely.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Add meat and cream. Use butter on whatever tastes good with it. If your sweet tooth is acting up, diet root beer "floats" are good. It's just diet root beer with a couple tablespoons of cream over ice. Try to drink less than one serving of diet soda a day, though, if you choose to drink it at all.
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm a bad cook, and I don't do well with putting foods together. I can throw something from a bag or a box in the oven, on a pan, or in the fry daddy, and that's about it. So I wouldn't know what or how to cook with butter or coconut oil.

I know coconut is a big thing, so I bought flaked coconut to eat. Is that good enough? I'll have to wait a bit to purchase coconut oil.

I don't know what 'cream' is. Coffee cream?

I've been a huge mayonnaise eater all of my life - on bread. Any suggestions on what to put it on instead? The same for sour cream - I wouldn't know what to eat with it. I'm not creative when it comes to food.

Avocados are out.

I drink water, Fit & Active Tropical Mango water and a glass of Slender Chocolate Soymilk when I want something sweet.

I'm not much of a meat eater, but I am trying to incorporate more meat into my diet.

I don't have the book or any plans to acquire it, I'm just going by food labels and an online tracker. Is it not true that if something has no carbs and no sugar (in its various forms), it's okay to incorporate into a meal in moderation? Most of my meal planning is based on that premise. Here's what I've got now in the fridge that is labeled as low or no carb:

Bacon
Bologna
Ham Steaks
Pork Roast
Sausage links and patties
Raw Shrimp
Flounder fillets
Cotto Salami
ALDI smoked meat sticks
Spinach and artichoke dip
Grilled chicken breasts
Salisbury Steak patties
Beef and Broccoli stir fry
Eggs
Cheese
Onions
Peppers
Lettuce
Black Forest Ham
Ranch dressing
Caesar dressing
Carrots
Pizza-flavoured string cheese
Hamburger patties
Egg substitute
Eggs
Oven roasted Almonds
Pumpkin seeds
Neufchatel cheese
Real Mayonnaise
Mustard
Canned chicken breast

Are these things acceptable? What about hotdogs and sunflower seeds?

For dinner - I had flounder fillets fried in canola oil and dipped in a lot of mayonnaise. My current counts now are:

Carbs: 16g
Fat: 52g
Protein: 71g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 3g
Calories: 871

I'm 11 grams over my protein limit and 15 grams short of my fat limit. Sooo, pan-fried bacon for a snack? Or is there a better high-fat/low-protein meat?

Again, I can't do anything homemade or even any involved recipes. I'm just looking for simple, easy things that I can throw together in a jiffy, like my fish and mayo.

For the carbs - should they all come from low-starch vegetables and nowhere else? I'll get rid of the cookies, low-carb crackers, and croutons. I did check on the flax-seed crackers, and they had a lot of carbs.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Administrator

I know you said you don't have the book and have no plans to get it, but in all honesty: you need to do the legwork to really understand what you can and can't eat on a particular plan.
A lot of the foods you listed have fillers or other things that may, or may not, be allowed on whatever plan you're following.
Things like carrots actually have quite a few carbs.
Processed meats like salami and bologna may have a lot of carbs, it depends on the brand.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I agree with Dottie. I also think that in my case, a large part of my success (thus far) stems from the fact that I know how to cook. I'm not suggesting you run out and take cooking classes, but I do suggest that you actively participate in this way of eating. If you understand the ideas behind it, study the ingredients being used, and start looking into the various methods of preparation, you'll go much further. The act of learning these things and participating in the process will really reinforce your commitment to these ideas. This is purely my opinion, but I feel fairly strongly that knowledge will deepen your commitment and chances of success.

I think it's fair to say that ... in my case ... I knew how to cook, but ... I never really knew how to eat!

Good luck in all your endeavors. Hanging out here is a FANTASTIC START!

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Noir View Post
Thank you.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm a bad cook, You can make eggs right? use CO oil in the pan- more of it.

Try cooking, its vital to the survival of the human race.

I don't know what 'cream' is. Coffee cream?
Cream- Heavy whipping cream- next to the milk

I've been a huge mayonnaise eater all of my life - on bread. Any suggestions on what to put it on instead? Add a little dijon mustard to the mayo and dip meat in it. BTW, whats with the no meat thing?

I'm not much of a meat eater, but I am trying to incorporate more meat into my diet. Anyone can be a meat eater- just have to have good meat. Helps if you can cook.

I don't have the book or any plans to acquire it,
Not a good idea.

In bold is what to get rid of:
Bacon
Bologna
Ham Steaks
Pork Roast
Sausage links and patties
Raw Shrimp
Flounder fillets
Cotto Salami
ALDI smoked meat sticks
Spinach and artichoke dip
Grilled chicken breasts
Salisbury Steak patties
Beef and Broccoli stir fry
Eggs
Cheese
Onions
Peppers
Lettuce
Black Forest Ham
Ranch dressing
Caesar dressing
Carrots
Pizza-flavoured string cheese
Hamburger patties
Egg substitute
Eggs
Oven roasted Almonds
Pumpkin seeds
Neufchatel cheese full fat cream cheese.
Real Mayonnaise
Mustard
Canned chicken breast

Are these things acceptable? What about hotdogs and sunflower seeds? Frankenfoods are not good. Sodium is terrible on those types of items.

For dinner - I had flounder fillets fried in canola oil and dipped in a lot of mayonnaise. This is very good

Thanks again.
If you can fry bacon or make eggs you can cook, just have to experiment.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Lots of people doing Atkins count "net carbs"--with the fiber subtracted--because your body can't draw nutrition from the fiber. I'm looking at a box of Flackers (flax crackers), and 1 serving has 8 grams of total carbs, but 7 grams of dietary fiber, so it's just 1 net carb.

If you don't cook, consider stocking up on the following:
Rotisserie chicken (sold pre-roasted in grocery stores). Eat the skin, as well as the meat. Chop up the meat and mix with a generous amount of mayonnaise or sour cream.

Hard-boil some eggs, peel, chop and mix with mayo and mustard if you like it. Or mix up some eggs in a bowl, using a fork, and scramble them in some melted butter. Toss in some cheese and a little salt and pepper.

You can also mix mayo and/or sour cream with tuna and salmon from cans and vaccuum packs. You can eat chicken/tuna/egg/salmon/ham salad with mayo with a fork plain, or as a dip for raw veggies, or on high-fiber/lowcarb flax crackers, or mixed into a green salad.

You can make "unwiches" rather than sandwiches by spreading some mayo on sliced meat and rolling the contents up in a lettuce leaf.

I eat a lot of salads with some nuts, meat, cheese, and ranch or Caesar dressing added.

I think that most of what you list as no carb from the fridge sounds fine, though some people wait a couple of weeks before adding nuts and seeds to their plan. Remykins makes some very good points; I'd need to read ingredients to decide how good or bad some items were, but I agree with her in general.

If you can cook flounder in canola oil, you can also cook fish in butter or coconut oil, which is what I prefer. You are just using a different oil (e.g., butter rather than canola oil) to do the same thing. Let the butter melt over low to medium heat in the pan before you add the fish. You can do the same with hamburger patties, etc.

Bacon is fine for a snack--cooked in the pan or the oven or the microwave, however you know how to do it.

I like eating avocadoes just with a spoon, scooping out the pulp from the peel.

If you buy coconut, make sure it isn't sweetened.

I'm a little confused by your statement that you don't know how to cook, if you do know how to cook some things in your refrigerator list, such as pork roast. (I can cook, but I'm just learning how to cook some kinds of meat, since I was a vegetarian before doing this way of eating.)

Your carbs are basically from low starch veggies, though even high fat/protein things like eggs and heavy whipping cream (added to coffee) have fractions of carbs. Some people eat small portions of berries, too, but usually add them after the first few weeks.

I eat coconut butter (may be sold near the peanut butter) from a spoon, and think it's a delicious snack. You can eat peanut butter or almond butter or macademia butter from a spoon, if you don't go overboard (just 1-2 Tablespoons as a serving).

By "cream" I mean whipping cream or half and half, which I put into hot or iced coffee. Avoid artificial creamers. You can put cream in soups and casseroles, too, but you probably don't want to do anything that fancy right now.

I think you would make your life easier if you got a copy of an Atkins book and read through it, for guidance. You can find them in your local public library or for sale in a used bookstore. Alternatively, visit the Atkins diet website and read through the directions for doing "induction" there. Avoid Atkins brand products like bars, though, because the sweeteners disagree with or stall many people.

Last edited by svenskamae; 08-21-2012 at 06:15 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Read A BOOK (I'd recommend DANDR).
Keep it simple.

By simple, I mean no complicated LC recipes.
Even if you don't cook you can make tuna salad with canned tuna, mayo, sugar-free relish and hard boiled eggs.
You can turn on the broiler of your oven and broil a steak, a pork chop, a piece of chicken, a fish fillet, a hamburger patty. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried herbs are all you need to season.
You can pan fry above said cuts of meat.
You can buy a bag salad and add a bottled dressing like Ken's Steakhouse Ranch.
You can nuke a handfull of frozen broccoli or cauliflower or green beans. Add a pat of butter and you're set.
You can pan fry fresh broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, etc. I like using olive oil and butter.
Whip your own heavy cream. Add some fresh or frozen berries and a little Splenda.
Mix some frozen berries with some plain Greek yogurt and Splenda or some DaVinci's sugar-free vanilla syrup.

Keep it simple.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Carbs: 16g
Fat: 52g
Protein: 71g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 3g
Calories: 871

Thanks again.
My day consisted of 1% carbs, 17% protein, and almost 82% fat. These numbers are slightly different than an average day where I do about 5% carbs, 25% protein, and 70% fat.

An average day looks something like this:

Breakfast: 1 egg cooked any way you want and 2 links beef sausage

Lunch: Some kind of fish baked, fried, or steamed in butter; small salad made of romaine and celery tossed in olive oil, diet root beer with 2 tablespoons of cream mixed in

Snack: 1/2 ounce of cheese cubes

Dinner: Beef or chicken cooked with butter or olive oil; same small salad as lunch; sometimes s/f jello for dessert with 2 tablespoons cool whip on top

Snack: Today it was spicy pork rinds (1/2 ounce)

I'm not sure if this gives you an idea of how to get more fat in your diet without it being too highly caloric. Also, the 2 small salads add some fiber. My calories usually fall between 1000 and 1200.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 08-21-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Lots of people doing Atkins count "net carbs"--with the fiber subtracted--because your body can't draw nutrition from the fiber. I'm looking at a box of Flackers (flax crackers), and 1 serving has 8 grams of total carbs, but 7 grams of dietary fiber, so it's just 1 net carb.
You're right, I remember reading something about net carbs. I'll put them on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
I agree with Dottie. I also think that in my case, a large part of my success (thus far) stems from the fact that I know how to cook. I'm not suggesting you run out and take cooking classes, but I do suggest that you actively participate in this way of eating. If you understand the ideas behind it, study the ingredients being used, and start looking into the various methods of preparation, you'll go much further. The act of learning these things and participating in the process will really reinforce your commitment to these ideas. This is purely my opinion, but I feel fairly strongly that knowledge will deepen your commitment and chances of success.
You're right, but I don't really have the time or the inclination to get that involved right now.

To clarify - I said that I was a bad cook, not necessarily that I cannot cook at all. I can do the basics - make different sorts of omelettes, fry or bake meats (with traditional oils), steam vegetables, bake rolls/biscuits/cakes, prepare things like pizzas and tacos, et cetera . . . but I don't do anything homemade or anything that actually requires a recipe. Everything I make I just throw together based upon what I've eatten elsewhere, and none of it is really healthy. So basically, if it's something served by Steak N Shake or a burger joint, then I can probably prepare it. I can make things like gyros, Italian subs, steak-ums and cheese subs, sloppy Joes . . . the basic, super easy stuff. But nothing fancy, or healthy.

Quote:
If you don't cook, consider stocking up on the following:
Rotisserie chicken (sold pre-roasted in grocery stores). Eat the skin, as well as the meat. Chop up the meat and mix with a generous amount of mayonnaise or sour cream.

Hard-boil some eggs, peel, chop and mix with mayo and mustard if you like it. Or mix up some eggs in a bowl, using a fork, and scramble them in some melted butter. Toss in some cheese and a little salt and pepper.

You can also mix mayo and/or sour cream with tuna and salmon from cans and vaccuum packs. You can eat chicken/tuna/egg/salmon/ham salad with mayo with a fork plain, or as a dip for raw veggies, or on high-fiber/lowcarb flax crackers, or mixed into a green salad.

You can make "unwiches" rather than sandwiches by spreading some mayo on sliced meat and rolling the contents up in a lettuce leaf.

I eat a lot of salads with some nuts, meat, cheese, and ranch or Caesar dressing added.
All great ideas. Thanks!

Quote:
I think that most of what you list as no carb from the fridge sounds fine, though some people wait a couple of weeks before adding nuts and seeds to their plan. Remykins makes some very good points; I'd need to read ingredients to decide how good or bad some items were, but I agree with her in general.

If you can cook flounder in canola oil, you can also cook fish in butter or coconut oil, which is what I prefer. You are just using a different oil (e.g., butter rather than canola oil) to do the same thing. Let the butter melt over low to medium heat in the pan before you add the fish. You can do the same with hamburger patties, etc.

Bacon is fine for a snack--cooked in the pan or the oven or the microwave, however you know how to do it.
So use butter just like oil, and cook the meat on a lower heat setting? This is sauteing, yes?

I just borrowed some kind of fancy coconut oil from a friend, so I'll try cooking some chicken breast with that tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm a little confused by your statement that you don't know how to cook, if you do know how to cook some things in your refrigerator list, such as pork roast. (I can cook, but I'm just learning how to cook some kinds of meat, since I was a vegetarian before doing this way of eating.)
It's one of those Hormel pre-cooked meat trays. I have no idea how to cook a roast, unless it's just like cooking a baked ham or a whole chicken, which I can do. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have only learned to cook meat certain ways, and roast was never something that I picked up.

Quote:
Your carbs are basically from low starch veggies, though even high fat/protein things like eggs and heavy whipping cream (added to coffee) have fractions of carbs. Some people eat small portions of berries, too, but usually add them after the first few weeks.
Yes, I'm leaving the berries and most of the nuts for a later time. I see now that Atkins does not allow them during 'Induction'.

Quote:
You can eat peanut butter or almond butter or macademia butter from a spoon, if you don't go overboard (just 1-2 Tablespoons as a serving).

By "cream" I mean whipping cream or half and half, which I put into hot or iced coffee. Avoid artificial creamers. You can put cream in soups and casseroles, too, but you probably don't want to do anything that fancy right now.

I think you would make your life easier if you got a copy of an Atkins book and read through it, for guidance. You can find them in your local public library or for sale in a used bookstore. Alternatively, visit the Atkins diet website and read through the directions for doing "induction" there. Avoid Atkins brand products like bars, though, because the sweeteners disagree with or stall many people.
I did try to check-out the latest Atkins book, but all copies are checked-out already.

. . . I just realised that it's freely available on the internet, however. I'll look through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post
Read A BOOK (I'd recommend DANDR).
Keep it simple.

By simple, I mean no complicated LC recipes.
Even if you don't cook you can make tuna salad with canned tuna, mayo, sugar-free relish and hard boiled eggs.
You can turn on the broiler of your oven and broil a steak, a pork chop, a piece of chicken, a fish fillet, a hamburger patty. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried herbs are all you need to season.
You can pan fry above said cuts of meat.
You can buy a bag salad and add a bottled dressing like Ken's Steakhouse Ranch.
You can nuke a handfull of frozen broccoli or cauliflower or green beans. Add a pat of butter and you're set.
You can pan fry fresh broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, etc. I like using olive oil and butter.
Whip your own heavy cream. Add some fresh or frozen berries and a little Splenda.
Mix some frozen berries with some plain Greek yogurt and Splenda or some DaVinci's sugar-free vanilla syrup.

Keep it simple.
All good ideas, some of which I'm already doing like the bag salad and the meats. I'll try stir-frying the vegetables. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remykins View Post
BTW, whats with the no meat thing?
It's not on purpose, I've just never been a big eater of meat. A burger here, a gyro there, maybe some chicken nuggets, and that's it. Things like pork chops and steak have never appealed to me. Lamb was the primary choice in the family when I was growing up, so that's probably why. I can eat lamb all day.

So why no ham? And does sodium interfere with the process somehow? I would've assumed it necessary to increase sodium intake given the reduction in retained water and thus a loss of important electrolytes like sodium, potassium, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
My day consisted of 1% carbs, 17% protein, and almost 82% fat. These numbers are slightly different than an average day where I do about 5% carbs, 25% protein, and 70% fat.

An average day looks something like this:

Breakfast: 1 egg cooked any way you want and 2 links beef sausage

Lunch: Some kind of fish baked, fried, or steamed in butter; small salad made of romaine and celery tossed in olive oil, diet root beer with 2 tablespoons of cream mixed in

Snack: 1/2 ounce of cheese cubes

Dinner: Beef or chicken cooked with butter or olive oil; same small salad as lunch; sometimes s/f jello for dessert with 2 tablespoons cool whip on top

Snack: Today it was spicy pork rinds (1/2 ounce)

I'm not sure if this gives you an idea of how to get more fat in your diet without it being too highly caloric. Also, the 2 small salads add some fiber. My calories usually fall between 1000 and 1200.
That looks similar to what I'm shooting for. As for the fish, which would be best while still remaining fairly simple? Salmon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I know you said you don't have the book and have no plans to get it, but in all honesty: you need to do the legwork to really understand what you can and can't eat on a particular plan.
A lot of the foods you listed have fillers or other things that may, or may not, be allowed on whatever plan you're following.
Things like carrots actually have quite a few carbs.
Processed meats like salami and bologna may have a lot of carbs, it depends on the brand.
I'm not really following any plan, yet. I'm just looking at labels and doing the math in order to achieve ketosis, which requires less than 20g of carbs and a high fat intake as I understand it.

I eat only a small amount of carrots as I am aware that they have carbs.

Thank you all for the advice - I'll amend my meal plans and shopping list accordingly, and skim through the book.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

That looks similar to what I'm shooting for. As for the fish, which would be best while still remaining fairly simple? Salmon?
Salmon is really good for this WOE, but (to me) it's expensive even if you buy it frozen. I do buy it when it goes on sale. I eat mostly tilapia because it's really easy to flavor in different ways, and inexpensive as far as fish goes.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I know other people have said this, but I can't stress enough how important it is to read DANDR. I was within 3 pounds of my goal, well within 10 pounds of any goal I should be aiming for, and had already lowered my carbs quite a bit. I should not have been able to lose weight quickly at that stage at all, and wasn't expecting to. I'm not young, and though I do exercise, it's pretty moderate.

Then I read the book and I understood. That week I lost 4 pounds and ended up 1 pound under my goal, at a stage when I should have been happy to lose even .5 pound in one week. I'm losing a little more weight now,and I don't think it will be a struggle at all.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
I don't think reading the book is mandatory. I didn't, and I still lost 85+ pounds. However, learning to cook is an absolute necessity. Ditch the pre-made, pre-cooked roasts and meals and crap. No bags, no boxes. Start with the basics. Saute a boneless skinless chicken breast in a skillet with some coconut oil. Then add a vegetable. Then try a whole roasted chicken. Look up recipes. Watch YouTube videos. That's what I did. You have to screw up and make disastrous meals every so often, but that's how you learn.

You'll save money and know what's exactly going into your body. Oh, and that weight loss thing too!

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:

I'm not really following any plan, yet. I'm just looking at labels and doing the math in order to achieve ketosis, which requires less than 20g of carbs and a high fat intake as I understand it.
Just to clarify this: ketosis is different for everyone. You may need more, or less, carbs to get there. Many people can be in ketosis at 50+g carbs, so don't get stuck on the 20g number
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Are you greek? or turkish? (Ignore that if it is completely false).
Large amount of sodium are never good. Think about 2000mg a day- If you have 500 in ONE serving of ham, with a side of dressing with 150, and some cheese with 300 you have 950 for one meal!

That pre-cooked, pre-made stuff is terrible for you. Sodium ,additives, etc. Cooking is part of being human- you will learn to like it if you try. If you love lamb, then make lamb- slow braised, which is flawless- my 10 year old can do it. Pan fry it, grill it. Your choice.

BTW, on the label, it can be misleading. If it says '0' for carbs, it might actually be '.5' if that is per serving, and you consume 4 servings, then you have 4 carbs.

Personally, for me to be in ketosis, I have to stay under 10g carbs. everyone is different.

Try CLEAN eating for 2 weeks, see what happens. Then go back to doing it your way and track your weight loss. At that point make a decision on how you want to continue- but give it two weeks clean. The worst that can happen is weight loss.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote