LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
Carb limit ?

I am writing down everything I eat ,not counting calories thou. I am going to write down all the carb amounts that I eat a day.

I was just wondering, what is your total carb limit amount per day? I am thinking 75 to start with for a week , then bringing it down to 50 .

I am diabetic and there are times when I can not eat totally no carbs. This seems like something I may can stick with and still enjoy some of the things I like such as onions , tomatoes .

I feel that I can still be accountable to myself and this way of eating will prolong my life and help me lose weight.

So do any of you write down your carb amounts you limit yourself to each day?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I find it's more important to treat each food differently. Bread and candy wreck my mind and body in a way that legumes and fruit do not, so when you count the grams don't lose sight of the actual foods. Things like onions and tomatoes I just hand-wave since it's not really possible to overeat them in a way that would create glucose problems.

My days fall into the 25g-50g range but I don't count too precisely, I just make sure to fill the "schedule" with plenty of quality foods so I don't have time to dwell what's missing.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I've been on LC since May 21st so almost 3 months. I've still got about 30 lbs I want to lose so I stick pretty close to 30 carbs a day But usually less then that. I'm techincally on Induction anymore but I still try to stay between 20-30 carbs or less a day. I do write down what I eat a day because when I didn't I found I ate more carbs then I thought I did.
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
I know what you mean Pete, I think I will be having a treat if I am able to have the good foods that really matter. I will allow myself a small apple, beans, maybe a piece of low carb bread , things that are good and have the fiber in them.

PrincessM......Its good to know what your actual counts are so I can see what others are doing here. I hope to wean my way down to 30 in a couple of weeks. I just know that I will fail if I dont allow a higher limit this first week.
Dede66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
If I eat as much as 10 carbs in one meal, my BS goes up. If I eat 15 in a day, my weight goes up. And then it depends on where the carbs come from as well. Carbs from low GI veggies are better than carbs from other sources.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I do write all my food down. Usually first thing in the morning, I plan out for the day what I will eat; both calories and carbs. Right now, I am usually 10 to 20 net carbs per day. Closer to 10. Adding more slowly slowly though.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 08-18-2012 at 12:59 PM..
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Semper911
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I find it's more important to treat each food differently. Bread and candy wreck my mind and body in a way that legumes and fruit do not, so when you count the grams don't lose sight of the actual foods. Things like onions and tomatoes I just hand-wave since it's not really possible to overeat them in a way that would create glucose problems.
Pete, you consistently give very good and reasonable advice. I appreciate your experience and am grateful that you take the time to share it with us.

Thanks for the good posts.
Semper911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Dede I think whatever works for you is Great! It sounds like you've got a great mind set for success
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Since you are diabetic, it would be a good idea to space your count carb out through the day. Dr. Bernstein has a great book on diabetes. He recommends a very low carb diet so that people with diabetes can control their BS better. I can't eat as low as he recommends, but it's still a really good read.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Hi Dede66,

I aim for less than 20 carbs per day. This stems from Atkins and LFL induction, and as I'm still quite far away from my goal weight I'm still continuing my own induction. I use online nutrition tracker which helps me stay accountable, as well as figure out the amount of carbs and calories per day. I have to keep an eye on my calories as well as carbs, otherwise I can totally eat far too many calories and not lose (probably gain!).

Good luck!

Anna
anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I stick around 30 net carbs a day, but echo what Pete and Cfine said. What you eat is important. 75 grams of onions and tomatoes is very different than 75 grams of Coke and Butterfingers. There are defiinitely days I go over 30 grams, but I also try not to eat more than about 10 to 15 grams per sitting. So, if you eat steak, bacon and eggs, then have a 75 gram bowl of ice cream at the end of the day, sure ... you're within your range, but I'll bet your sugar spikes after the ice cream, whereas 75 fruit/veggie grams throughout the day should keep you nice and stable.

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I think with this WOE you have to play around with it at first and see what works best for you. Everyone is different that is for sure. Good luck to you!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post

My days fall into the 25g-50g range but I don't count too precisely, I just make sure to fill the "schedule" with plenty of quality foods so I don't have time to dwell what's missing.
What Pete said. Its the type of food that matter more to my body.

For me, I find that when I stick with the veggies from the induction list or single fruits (like ONE apple or ONE peach) that I do not have to monitor them at all. I do not measure nor count. For instance, I never count carbs in lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower etc..

I am guessing that my carb counts range from 20-50 on a regular day without counting (closer to 50).

When I add starchy foods, bread, real sugar or bread to my meal I then count all the carbs I eat the rest of the day or try to figure out what I had eaten.

ALSO, when I DO eat those "bad" foods I make extra effort to stick to induction foods the following day though NOT necessarily induction levels.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I just wonder why you put "I am diabetic" and "there are times when I can not eat totally no carbs" together like one makes the other true. I don't know anything about diabetes that would make a zero carb diet inappropriate. it's all a matter of dosing your medications appropriately. it's not a good reason to eat carbs because the doctor is giving you too much medication, you know? it's just a vicious circle.

you will probably do fine with the carb level you are talking about, but it's much harder to stick to than low carb, really it is. you have to see how you do.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebelchelle
Stats: 172/168/125
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I generally eat between 20-30 carbs per day.
rebelchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Dede. I write down what I eat, how much, and what effects I notice. I track grams of fat, protein and carbs, too.

Being a diabetic, you might find the support thread for the Dr. Richard Bernstein plan most helpful. His book, The Diabetes Solution, is a wonderful resource. Dr. Bernstein's plan recommends 30 grams of carbs: 6 at breakfast (one could fewer) and 12 for lunch, and then 12 for supper. I follow his plan, but eat fewer carbs. In order to maintain normal blood sugar, Dr. Bernstein also recommends eating the same amount of protein and carbs from breakfast to breakfast each day, from lunch to lunch, each day, etc. For example: 5g/CHO and 20g/PRO for breakfast, 10g/CHO and 20g/PRO for lunch, 2g/CHO and 2g/PRO for the hwc in coffee in the afternoon, and 10g/CHO and 20g/PRO for supper.

His book explains the science and the recommendations in a way that is very enjoyable to read, and easy to understand. Dr. Bernstein is a type I diabetic. He doesn't ask anyone to do what he doesn't ask of himself. His life and his work are most inspiring.

Following his plan has worked miracles for many people, both diabetics and non-diabetics.

I wish you the best of health and very happy LCing.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 08-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
20g- only from veggies and cheese basically. If I have a 10g carb meal, my body goes goofy. Most days I am closer to 10g for the whole day.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote