LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzanne R
Stats: 256/205/160
WOE: Low Carb/VSG
Start Date: March 2013
Anybody tried Nectresse?

This is a new sweetener by the people that make Splenda. I'm wanting to get off Equal but have tried em all....stevia, stevia drops, splenda...and so on. Any reviews?? Here's the product information.

NECTRESSE™ Natural No Calorie Sweetener,
40 Count†

Serving Size: 1 packet (2.4g) | Calories per serving: 0
Amount/Serving % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 0g 0%
Total Carbohydrates 2g 1%
Sugars Less than 1g
Erythritol 2g
Protein 0g 0%

Not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Hi Suzanne! Welcome to the forums. I see you're pretty new. Most important lesson for low-carb beginners about buying anything that comes in a can, bag, box or cellophane (processed food) after the nutrition label, of course, much MORE important than the nutrition label IMO, is the list of actual INGREDIENTS. I wouldn't want to consume Nectresse since it has real sugar and real molasses in it. It would likely slow your weight loss and actually trigger MORE cravings and likely over time (as with most sweeteners) would dull your body's "sweet receptors", making you have to use more and more of it as time went by to feel it was actually sweetening anything . Here's a pic I snipped of the ingredients off their website just now:

buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
to LCF! I haven't seen this item sold in any of my stores in Ohio. But, I feel as Peggy does that I would not use a sweetener that contains real sugar or molasses.

I used to use powdered splenda and stopped to get away from the maltodextrin. Truvia is ok....not quite as sweet as the powdered splenda...but I've gotten used to it. Truvia contains erythritol and a type of stevia. I tried several brands of stevia and hated them all, but the type that is in Truvia gives me no weird aftertaste. You might want to give that a try
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzanne R
Stats: 256/205/160
WOE: Low Carb/VSG
Start Date: March 2013
Nectress

Thanks all for your welcomes and thoughtful advice
Suzanne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Welcome!! Glad you are here.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Wow,....

I was actually in Wally-World just this morning and saw this on the shelf. It said "new" product and also offered a $1.00 off current purchase. That would have made it $3.49 after coupon. It was for 40 packs only, so i passed....So glad I did too, cause i just assumed it was SF and along the lines as Equal, Splenda and so on....NO idea about the sugar etc...

Anyway, THANKS to the poster who pointed this out!!!

Also
so, anyone here can recommend a good zero cal sweetener for baking? I been using splenda, but I still have to add packets of the equal to improve the taste of sweetness i desire...I too, am trying to get away from the equal....

Thanks...

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I picked up a box of the packets.
It had a strong cooling effect (typical of erythritol) as well as an odd after taste that I can't quite describe. I did not find it particularly sweet. I usually add 1 drop of ez-sweet to a 6oz chobani plain yogurt and I had to add 2 packets of this stuff. It also gave me some gas-like cramps that I don't get from the E sweetener alone, so it must have been the combo.
I won't buy the packets again.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I picked up a box of the packets.
It had a strong cooling effect (typical of erythritol) as well as an odd after taste that I can't quite describe. I did not find it particularly sweet. I usually add 1 drop of ez-sweet to a 6oz chobani plain yogurt and I had to add 2 packets of this stuff. It also gave me some gas-like cramps that I don't get from the E sweetener alone, so it must have been the combo.
I won't buy the packets again.
Can you bake with the ez sweet?
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Sure, it's just a very concentrated sucralose liquid. And it shouldn't effect the liquid balance since it's such a small amount.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Hm - I just saw this advertised for the first time today. I guess if my local coffee shop starts carrying it, I'll give it a shot! I hate to buy anything new in case I hate it.
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
That NECTRESSE stuff gives me pause. It looks like it's a product that takes advantage of labeling laws. The first ingredient is Erythritol, which is good. The SECOND ingredient is SUGAR! Then, monk fruit extract and then molasses ... which ... is SUGAR!!

The serving size is a 1/4 tsp, and they "claim" it has no carbs or calories. A tsp of regular sugar has 4 grams of carbs and 15 calories. If they can get the numbers to below 5 calories and below .5 grams of carbs per serving, then I believe they can legally say that it's non-caloric and zero carb. But ... with only a 1/4 tsp serving ... that's ridiculous! It implies that this product COULD actually have just short of 960 calories or 96 grams of carbs ... per cup! That's A LOT! I'm not saying that it IS this high, but I believe it could be and they could get away with calling it carb/calorie free.

It's a trick!

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The name makes me think it should be in the feminine-product aisle.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris T. View Post
The name makes me think it should be in the feminine-product aisle.
That's what I was thinking. That, or some hair conditioner!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I use stevia packets for my chocolate almond bark....that's ok, right? Says 0 carbs....
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bleeped
I purchased the "bulk" jar. To me it has an addictive quality to it, some is good, more is better. The jar also had the easy pour spout, making it easier to use more than you should. I have gone back to Truvia.
bleeped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I have tried it and really like it alot and plan to buy it again when I run out, it has not caused me any cravings, stalls or gains. I prefer it over truvia which I think has a funny aftertaste. I mainly use it in my coffee. I use splenda for cooking.
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just bought some (Target has a printable coupon on their website right now for $2 off the canister). I'm eating it in my homemade Greek yog and it's good - no weird aftertaste. I do get a bit of 'grit' every now and then due to the erythritol, but I don't mind it.

While I use Splenda, I'm also looking for a more natural substitute and this might fit the bill. There's another similar packet-type one by the makers of 'Sugar in the Raw', but my Target didn't have that particular one.

I'd say give this a try if you have the coupon, without one it's fairly spendy..I want to say it was $4.99 for a canister a bit smaller than the Truvia one.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jm23
Stats: 183/179/145
WOE: Low Carb
i bought a box of the packets and find it the best tasting sweetener and most like real sugar. The ingredients listing sugar is a little worrying, I can't say if it's caused any gain or stalls because I wasn't lowcarbing while using it. Now that I'm back on LC, I've switched to truvia which is okay but bitter tasting. I think I might pick it up again, I only used 1/2 a packet a day in my coffee, and see how if I can keep it in my plan.
jm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
That NECTRESSE stuff gives me pause. It looks like it's a product that takes advantage of labeling laws. The first ingredient is Erythritol, which is good. The SECOND ingredient is SUGAR! Then, monk fruit extract and then molasses ... which ... is SUGAR!!

The serving size is a 1/4 tsp, and they "claim" it has no carbs or calories. A tsp of regular sugar has 4 grams of carbs and 15 calories. If they can get the numbers to below 5 calories and below .5 grams of carbs per serving, then I believe they can legally say that it's non-caloric and zero carb. But ... with only a 1/4 tsp serving ... that's ridiculous! It implies that this product COULD actually have just short of 960 calories or 96 grams of carbs ... per cup! That's A LOT! I'm not saying that it IS this high, but I believe it could be and they could get away with calling it carb/calorie free.

It's a trick!
Sheesh, I can't imagine anyone putting a quarter teaspoon of this stuff into anything, unless it is super-concentrated, and the ingredients indicate that it is NOT. That is a truly classic example of manipulating "serving size" to minimize reported carbs and calories! Good call, DJFoodie! And you, too, Buttoni, for pointing out the stuff is sugar under a fancy name!

Addendum: Well, I see that some other posters have used it without a problem, so I'd just encourage people to exercise caution and pay attention to serving sizes if they decide to try it out.

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-09-2013 at 04:02 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I like the stuff. I have the packets, and it's 2 carbs, from the erythritol. I don't use it often. I sometimes use a smidge of blackstrap molasses from time to time in recipes, so this doesn't freak me out. As always and with everything, read your labels, and buyer beware!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheesh, I can't imagine anyone putting a quarter teaspoon of this stuff into anything, unless it is super-concentrated, and the ingredients indicate that it is NOT. That is a truly classic example of manipulating "serving size" to minimize reported carbs and calories!

Sort of, but on the label is states that 1/4 t of Nectresse is equal to the sweetness in 1 t of sugar. That being said, I'd wager that most people either don't read that part or would forget and use about 1 t, like they would any other sweetener. So, not only are they probably consuming more carbohydrates than they think they are, they will go through the product faster.

Anyway, I'm not entirely convinced they're trying to be deceptive, but it is a bit confusing.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #22
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I just tried it and it is my new fav! I can lightly taste the molasses and in a side by side with Truvia, it is the clear winner. Taste wise, to me, it is the best on the market.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I think this thread just proves that when it comes to sweeteners, everyone's taste buds are different. You have to try it to know if it's for you. And it also proves why sugar is such a useful product --- everyone likes the taste of it.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
There is a company called Nevella, they make three liquid sweeteners: sucralose, monk fruit, and stevia. There is no sugars in the monk fruit one and the Splenda rocks. They are carried at walmart and are awesome.
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysstwalker View Post
There is a company called Nevella, they make three liquid sweeteners: sucralose, monk fruit, and stevia. There is no sugars in the monk fruit one and the Splenda rocks. They are carried at walmart and are awesome.
I've been messing around with mixing the splenda one and the monk fruit one for some recipes which don't require sugar's bulk (such as cream cheese thingies, not one with LC flours in them).

The monk fruit one almost reminds me of maple. sort of.
I think it might be a good choice for citrus-flavored things, like a lemony cheesecake.

It's super-concentrated, so it is difficult to not get too much.

With the splenda one, you need just over a tsp to equal a cup of sugar, or 1/2 tsp for 1/2 cup of sugar, and so on.

1.183 tsp for a cup of sugar's sweetness.
0.59 tsp for a 1/2 cup of sugar's sweetness
a 1/4 tsp is an approximation for a 1/4 cup.

Wilth the monk fruit one:
2.8 tsp for a cup of sugar's sweetness.
1.4 tsp for 1/2 cup
1/2 tsp of the monk fruit roughly equals 3 Tbl worth of sweetness.
1/4 tsp roughly equals 1.5 tbl sweetness
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
i have been useing the monk fruit, it is not as sweet as some others but it has only one ingredient. monk fruit extract sounds good to me
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Speaking of Monk Fruit, I am ordering this too. Always on the lookout for a good sweetener: EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sweetener, Stevia & Monk Fruit
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysstwalker View Post
Love the Sucarlose To Go and Monk Fruit To Go. I haven't bought the Stevia To Go because there was some ingredient in it I didn't want (can't remember what though), so I bought stevia drops from another source instead.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm simple. I just use liquid Splenda. I have the larger bottles at home, and the tiny one in my purse for eating out. Just a drop or two does the trick.

I don't do much baking, which is the only reason I'd use something else, but I'm highly sensitive to maltodextrin, so I can't use many of the powders anyway. The liquid Splenda is highly concentrated sucralose and distilled water only.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote