Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: Sw171/cw113.5gw11o
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2010
what is considered a binge and how do i stop it?

so my calorie goal is 1400. i stay between 25-35 net carbs per day.
the last few nights i have been ( i think) binging at night.
its because i live at my dads house and he is out of town and i find that anytime that i am alone in the house i tend to overeat.
i go to bed and even have preplanned snacks for when i wake up through the night( because i do )
even then i always go over in calories. 1600-1800 and thats just a rough estimate.
my weight flectuates between 107-110.5 during this time. i weigh everyday.
its not so much the amount i go over... its more about the behavior. the problem ( i know ) lies in the behavior. and the way i feel the next morning. this is making me feel completely out of controll and i absolutely hate myself the next day.
i feel like theres two sides of my brain, the one all day that keeps telling me "tonight is the night you can stop just do something else at night/ just tough it out you can do this you're in control its just a behavior change"
then theres the other voice"it's okay your body needs this ... you are revving up your metabolism... you can stop any time you want"
so i am also in recovery from NA and started my journey with a program called FA (food addicts annonymous) it actually helped me in many ways and ive been wanting to go back to a meeting ... the only thing is they are exTREMELY LOW calorie and eat carbs. not bad ones.. but friut and yougurt and oatmeal. they are very strict on their allowed menu.
The other idea i had was to stay at a friends house or my moms house at night so i am around other people and therefor it will stop me from overeating/ raiding the fridge at night
the other idea i had was to workout like a maniac at night in hopes that ill tire myself out and therefore can sleep through the night.

theese all seem like temporary solutions though. i want a permentant solution this honestly feels like this is the deamon i have to overcome in my life.

i've heard that brain over binge is a good book... i posted a topic on this. even though im struggling right now financially maybe this is a good investment.

another idea i had was to attend a meeting of OA. since i am in recovery maybe this will help. i know having a sponcer in FA really helped me stay accountable. however calling her every morning at 6 am was not fun!!!

thanks for listening. i know i rant alot but this is one place i can stay annonymous and i know you guys will understand.

heres my question:
- what do you consider a binge?
- do you have any tips to overcome it?
- are there certain foods that trigger it?
-do you beleive its a disease or a behavior?
-how do you recover from one?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
"this is making me feel completely out of controll and i absolutely hate myself the next day"
This is the definition of binge.

Have you considered doing something else? I took control of mine with the most stupid method: free online games. They keep me company and keep me busy, I foget about food.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: Sw171/cw113.5gw11o
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2010
Online games thats awesome!! Maybe I'll try that!
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You are waking in the night and eating? How many times would you say this happens in a typical night? I would suggest that this is something more than binge behaviour. I would be concerned that your quality of sleep is more a cause of the behaviour. It is not usual to wake in the night to eat unless you have been under-eating through the day to a large degree.

Last edited by clackley; 08-07-2012 at 12:35 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ivyjewels
Just a thought.....

Could you possibly be under eating and maybe you really are hungry.

Or perhaps you are vitamin deficient in something?

I know this doesnt answer your questions.

Just a thought.

ivyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
You are waking in the night and eating? How many times would you say this happens in a typical night? I would suggest that this is something more than binge behaviour. I would be concerned that your quality of sleep is more a cause of the behaviour. It is not usual to wake in the night to eat unless you have been under-eating through the day to a large degree.
My thoughts are very similar to this.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.6/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
I do feel for you I do binge on carbs but only during PMS. Do you think your binging could be hormonally related? I can't have ANY fruits, nuts or yogurt during PMS, otherwise I become an eating machine. I usually can gain between 3-5 lbs of pure fat (yesterday I ate lots of mac nuts and bananas). I am really stuggling with this. I think would you describe sounds like a binging behavior. I also binge when I eat alone. I would never eat the quantity if someone was watching me. I hope you can find the solution to this. I have not read the book, so can't comment on it. (((HUGS)))

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MicheleS
Stats: 140 (biggest)... 118/110/107... 5'0"
WOE: mostly Atkins but organic and no beef or pork
Start Date: restart May 2012
a couple of thoughts... (I am in no way implying that I have my *own* troublesome behavior under control... though I am making lots of progress...)

1. OA- OA members use a variety of food plans to get (and stay) clean. I feel certain that you could find a low carb sponsor. There are also online meetings and list serves. I would post a link to the main one but I'm not sure if that's OK... If you google "online OA meetings" you will see one with "Recovery" in the site name. That's the one I'm most familiar with.
2. Plan your food, in reasonable amounts. Post it, write it down, tell a sponsor... do whatever you have to do to be accountable.
3. Recognize that while you may have an illness, you are in no way a bad person. Use the tools you've learned in NA to help heal your negative self-talk.

good luck!!
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
My first thought would be like the others as far as not eating enough during the day. I say this mostly because you are not gaining weight. When I binge, I gain.

I have a hard time sleeping at times. What has helped me is taking GABA and L-Theanine before bedtime. They both help to relax and calm me down(I have anxiety.) It sounds like if you could just get a good night's rest, the problem would be solved and you could eat those extra calories during the daytime.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote