LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: senz0003
Stats: 138/134/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Half Marathon Training

Hello! Has anyone successfully trained for and completed a half marathon in the first stages of Atkins? I've been doing Atkins for several weeks now and have a half marathon to run in six weeks. I've completed several half and full marathons in the past and up until beginning Induction was able to run 6 or seven miles without problems. Since starting Atkins my runs have become significantly more difficult, my legs feel like lead and 3 or 4 miles feel like the last six of a marathon! Is there something I should do differently or is this to be expected?
senz0003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
As a marathoner who has LC'd for 10 years, I recommend this article. Please read all parts of it (links at the bottom in red) which stresses fat as the optimum athletic fuel.

The Correct Nutrition and Diet for Athletes. Part 1: Conventional advice

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Atkins Ambassador

Sorry, the links at the bottom are in BLUE, not red.

Betty
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Atkins Ambassador

BTW, I just completed the San Francisco Half Marathon last weekend, and believe me, if a 56 year old LC woman can finish strong in THOSE HILLS, you can most certainly do yours!!! GOOD LUCK !

Betty
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Last week there was a free book on Kindle called The Art and Science of the Low Carb Athlete or something similar (If you don't have a Kindle you can download a Kindle app on a smart device. I have it on a Droid and an iPad).

It was very interesting and had a lot of technical info, but basically it said it will take you about a month to become "keto-adapted" and will be able to run off fat rather than glycogen.

It seems to be the up-and-coming thing in running. There was an article in Runner's World last month or the one before about training while carb depleted several times a week. It still said to carb up right before a race, but its a start.

You could probably google fat-adapted and keto-adapted running and see what you find.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
My running took a huge nose dive when I started induction two weeks ago. I've run a half marathon every 3 wks since May, but I've struggled to make it past mile 5 the last couple weeks. I do feel like it's getting better and I know I just need to let my body adjust to losing the carbs. Somehow, even though I am generally mindful of carbs, I did buy into the whole "you need carbs to run" theory so my body just has to adapt to this new way of training. If you stick with it I'm sure you'll bounce back to your old running self!
BitsyMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
BTW, I just completed the San Francisco Half Marathon last weekend, and believe me, if a 56 year old LC woman can finish strong in THOSE HILLS, you can most certainly do yours!!! GOOD LUCK !

Betty
You should do the full marathon because the finishing medal is fabulous. It's from Tiffany's. My daughter did that marathon so I got to see it and say to myself - I've got to do this marathon. I'm just coming off foot surgery (5 weeks on crutches with no weight on the leg), 3 weeks in a Darth Vader boot to my knee (that has been on since the surgery), 2 weeks in an ankle boot and now 2 more months until it's fully healed with 3 months until the swelling disappears. I broke my toe in a race, didn't know it and continued another 12 miles on it. So, I drove one bone over the other one. Sure glad that I'm almost to the end of this. My shoes are just sitting in the hallway waiting to go on soon.
1). Enjoy being a Grandmother
2). 40+ days minimum downhill skiing every seaso
3). more marathons (26.2 miles)
4). sitting on the deck overlooking a creek and meadow at our ski condo.
5). GO UCLA - BEAT USC
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/165/160 , 5'8" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK
Start Date: restart Nov 30th
Learning to run on low carb was hard... but I did it! You will adjust too. Just give it some time. I took ATLEAST a month to 2 for me to not have lead legs.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: senz0003
Stats: 138/134/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Wow, thanks so much for all the advice! I am new to this forum and am very excited to have found a place to direct my many low-carb questions! Sugarless4life, thank you for the link, I will definitely check it out! And congrats on the recent SF 1/2! And GME, I do have a kindle so I will be downloading that book! I am defenitely planning to tough through my runs in hopes that they will get easier. When it's 95 degrees out and humid and to top it off with lead legs, I guess I just needed some affirmation that it will get easier!
senz0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan1030
Stats: 170/168/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: every day!
I stumbled upon this thread and it is exactly what I was looking for. I started running about a year ago and did my first 10k this past spring. I am considering training for the Richmond marathon (half for me!!!) and have never tried to run while doing LC. I am finishing a round of insanity soon and then starting into my training for the race in November so this advice is quite timely! I have never been able to completely stick to LC and I am in my 40's and need to rid myself of these 25-30 pounds that I put on since turning 40! I look forward to more advice and if there are any other threads I should follow, please let me know!
Thanks so much!

Rule your mind or it will rule you.
susan1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I stumbled upon this thread and it is exactly what I was looking for. I started running about a year ago and did my first 10k this past spring. I am considering training for the Richmond marathon (half for me!!!) and have never tried to run while doing LC. I am finishing a round of insanity soon and then starting into my training for the race in November so this advice is quite timely! I have never been able to completely stick to LC and I am in my 40's and need to rid myself of these 25-30 pounds that I put on since turning 40! I look forward to more advice and if there are any other threads I should follow, please let me know!
Thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

sorry for the double post. not sure how that happened!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Atkins Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
You should do the full marathon because the finishing medal is fabulous. It's from Tiffany's. My daughter did that marathon so I got to see it and say to myself - I've got to do this marathon. I'm just coming off foot surgery (5 weeks on crutches with no weight on the leg), 3 weeks in a Darth Vader boot to my knee (that has been on since the surgery), 2 weeks in an ankle boot and now 2 more months until it's fully healed with 3 months until the swelling disappears. I broke my toe in a race, didn't know it and continued another 12 miles on it. So, I drove one bone over the other one. Sure glad that I'm almost to the end of this. My shoes are just sitting in the hallway waiting to go on soon.
Wow, Sharon, I'm so sorry about your foot! I can so totally relate; when I had my surgery I thought the hardest part was not being able to walk/run! Hope you feel better soon and get back out there!

Yeah, I know the SF full medal is cool; however there's not a medal on the planet that would make me run 26.2 miles in that city! Those CLIFFS! UGH!

My next goal is the Route 66 half coming up in November.

Betty
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post

Betty
You rock! I know your a veteran runner now, but do you remember if you felt sick to your stomach when you first started out?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Atkins Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
You rock! I know your a veteran runner now, but do you remember if you felt sick to your stomach when you first started out?
Thanks, Jeanie!

Wow, when I started ... circa Nov 2003 .. I don't *think* I felt sick because I ran SO S L O W ... laughably, actually! But honestly, I think that was a good thing now that I think back on it ... to take things UBER slow and see what this old body could do .. amazingly, it responded positively .. and so I'm still running!

IMO, the real key is to listen to your body; allow it to rest and recover, then continue to slowly build mileage. I know one thing; I can't do what 20somethings can, but then, I'm certainly not 20 !!!

That said, I do what I can the best I can. I'm signing up for another half marathon this November.

Betty
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Thanks Betty. I know what you mean about the younger people. A lady I babysat for recently just got top female finisher (23mins) and a few seconds in a 5k on a horribly hot day and the course was hilly. All this when her baby was only a few months old.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Are you thinking of the Nike Women's Marathon? They have a Tiffany medal. I believe that is a different race because it was held in November. It may be a little less hilly, I remember one big one on the course map though.

There is a lottery to get in the Nike Women's Marathon and I made it for last year. I did a trail half in August as part of my training and my achilles went south on me so I didn't get to do the full marathon. It was a very sad day.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Are you thinking of the Nike Women's Marathon? They have a Tiffany medal. I believe that is a different race because it was held in November. It may be a little less hilly, I remember one big one on the course map though.

There is a lottery to get in the Nike Women's Marathon and I made it for last year. I did a trail half in August as part of my training and my achilles went south on me so I didn't get to do the full marathon. It was a very sad day.
You're right. Sorry for your injury.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote