Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BitsyMay
Need help picking a good protein powder

Hi all,

I want to start using protein powder but I'm kind of clueless about it. There are a ton of different brands and it seems there are also a ton of different types. I know I don't want a soy based one, it seems the whey protein powder are more popular. Are they the healthiest?

Also, I could use some help on taste. I figure I'll get either plain and add some daVinci's syrups to flavor them or get vanilla since I love vanilla. Any particular brand taste better than others?

Thanks for any and all help!
BitsyMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It depends on why you want to use it.
Cooking? Any brand is pretty good if you're going with a neutral or vanilla just for cooking.
If you're using it because you don't take in enough protein, make sure you look at the amount of protein per serving on the mix (there can be a huge difference in the amount of protein!).
Meal replacement? Look at the vitamins and other things added to make sure it meets your needs.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Administrator

oops lol.
For a meal replacement, I like biochem greens & whey. (http://www.netrition.com/biochem_greens_whey.html)
For cooking, I just pick up a whey protein powder at walmart (I haven't cooked with it in years though).
For workouts, I use MRM 100% natural (dutch chocolate it excellent).
Old 08-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I probably should have asked this questiong before I placed an order with Netrition, lol.

Thanks for the info. I want to use it infrequently for breakfast. Normally I like to cook breakfast, but on Sat mornings I'm out the door within 40 minutes of waking up so a shake would be a good option on mornings like that. I would also like to try baking with it since I've seen so many amazing recipes on here!

Do you use the MRM post workout? I'm having a tough time finding a good post workout snack so this might be a good option. Can it be found anywhere? I looked at some at the grocery store the other day, but I got overwhelmed by all the options.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I think that Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder is the best on the market. It comes in vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, pina colada, and tropical orange. I buy 24 oz. packages of the vanilla and strawberry. We use these all the time. I buy the smaller, one serving packets of the other flavors to change things up once in awhile. I use the vanilla a lot for adding to recipes. I use all of the flavors for shakes. I add DaVinci's, hwc, club soda, water, fruit, and diet soda, (not all at once) to make up different flavors. I also add flaxmeal and chia gel.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Administrator

I use the MRM post workout, it has a good amount of protein and the flavor is great (dutch chocolate). I found the best price at netrition.
JUst an IMO but I don't think grocery stores have a very good turn around on protein powders, around here anyway, so watch the "use by" date on them
Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good point about the "use by" date. I tried to add the MRM to my netrition order that I placed earlier today, but it doesn't seemed to want to let me. I'm going to see if I can find it around here and if not I'll place another order. The Jay Rob brand is pretty expensive, but ifI could buy a few of the individual packs that would be a good way to try them. I'm going to check their website in a bit.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Well, Isopure makes a Zero carb whey protein. It tastes pretty good, but for some reason it is SALTY, which turns me off. It's not too bad, but if you make cookies, you will have to sweeten them a lot to cover up the salty taste. Optimum nutrition was supposed to be the bomb based on Amazon reviews, but I was disappointed in it. I would recommend staying far far away from the kind Wal Mart sells: Body Fortress and Pure Protein. Too many carbs for what tastes like dirt. Designer Whey is good, but pricey. I recommend buying the smallest container you can find and trying to find a coupon or coupon code to buy it with. Good luck choosing one.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitsyMay View Post
Hi all,

I want to start using protein powder but I'm kind of clueless about it. There are a ton of different brands and it seems there are also a ton of different types. I know I don't want a soy based one, it seems the whey protein powder are more popular. Are they the healthiest?

Also, I could use some help on taste. I figure I'll get either plain and add some daVinci's syrups to flavor them or get vanilla since I love vanilla. Any particular brand taste better than others?

Thanks for any and all help!
Trutein Whey Protein has become my new favorite. I've tried 7-8 other brands over the years, some good, some -- eh. Gaspari Myofusion used to be my favorite hands down, but they changed their formula. (Their ratings/reviews have gone way down since.)

This was recommended by a reputable nutrition guru, so I tried it. I'm in love. The taste is incredible, and the ingredients are loaded with integrity.

My next order I'm getting Cinnamon Bun; it gets great reviews and sounds yummy too.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is simply adding a bit of water to one scoop in a custard cup and stirring till the consistency of "frosting." OMG. It tastes simply indulgent. Too good to be true. I feel like I'm cheating and it gives me my sweet/chocolate fix.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
The best I have found is NNW 100% Whey Protein Powder, manufactured in Nebraska and sold at HyVee in Iowa (and perhaps more places than that). Have never tried buying it online since I can get it close to home. Ingredients are: Pure Whey Protein Concentrate, Pure Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Flavor, Xantham Gum, Stevia, Color Added. I really like the short list of ingredients.

I prefer the Strawberry (whipped with cream and water and ice) but the Chocolate/Peanut Butter is also good. Hope you find one you like!
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
I think that Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder is the best on the market. It comes in vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, pina colada, and tropical orange. I buy 24 oz. packages of the vanilla and strawberry. We use these all the time. I buy the smaller, one serving packets of the other flavors to change things up once in awhile. I use the vanilla a lot for adding to recipes. I use all of the flavors for shakes. I add DaVinci's, hwc, club soda, water, fruit, and diet soda, (not all at once) to make up different flavors. I also add flaxmeal and chia gel.
One more thing: Jay Robb has 1 carb per scoop.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I use Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey, and I only use it in smoothies. Very yummy!!!
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ameyer
Hey, there, I use VPX Zero Carb Chocolate, it's fantastic blended with unsweetened almond milk. You can get it online, and it's truly 0 carb and it's high quality protein powder.
ameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]Trutein Whey Protein has become my new favorite. I've tried 7-8 other brands over the years, some good, some -- eh. Gaspari Myofusion used to be my favorite hands down, but they changed their formula. (Their ratings/reviews have gone way down since.)

This was recommended by a reputable nutrition guru, so I tried it. I'm in love. The taste is incredible, and the ingredients are loaded with integrity.

My next order I'm getting Cinnamon Bun; it gets great reviews and sounds yummy too.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is simply adding a bit of water to one scoop in a custard cup and stirring till the consistency of "frosting." OMG. It tastes simply indulgent. Too good to be true. I feel like I'm cheating and it gives me my sweet/chocolate fix.

Okay, you've sold me. Actually, your avatar picture sold me you are amazing!! I just read a bunch of reviews on it and seems like most people mention that it tastes great so I'm going give it a try. I think I'll order the vanilla and then if I have good results I'll try the cinnamon bun because that sounds simply amazing!

I also ordered a couple packets of the Jay Robb protein powder. Carb total isn't a huge concern for me. I want to be mindful of the carbs, but I'm about 1lb from my goal weight so I can be a little liberal with them

You guys are some of the smartest, well informed and helpful people I know! I always know when I have a food or wellness related question I'll get some awesome responses; thanks so much!!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
where can you get truetein protein powder---sounds good
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
where can you get truetein protein powder---sounds good
I ordered it directly from their website. They list retailers on their website and Netrition is listed there but I could not find it anywhere on Netrition's website.
Just google Trutein and you'll find their site. Also, if you google Trutein samples you can find a link to order individual packets for #1.99 each. A good way to try the different flavors!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Yup!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
My favorite is Weider, in an orange label. It's relatively inexpensive, comes in chocolate and vanilla, and has 1 carb per 30 grams. By far it's the best I've tried regarding flavour and texture. mixes up really well, not gritty at all. It's been a long time since I've bought protein powder though, and today I bought a whey protein that is unflavoured, for baking. I want to try one of the low carb almond breads, although I could only find coconut flour, so I'll use that and hope it turns out.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
I use Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey, and I only use it in smoothies. Very yummy!!!
This is the brand I use too Sharon. It's a good product to take while lifting weights because you get a good dose of BCAA's and glutamine with each serving.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Big fan of Optimum Nutrition Casein in Chocolate Supreme at nighttime! This powder is also good used in protein brownies.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladee88er View Post
This is the brand I use too Sharon. It's a good product to take while lifting weights because you get a good dose of BCAA's and glutamine with each serving.

Yup! My husband does weight training and he uses it. When I asked him to recommend a protein powder he suggested I try it.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Yup! My husband does weight training and he uses it. When I asked him to recommend a protein powder he suggested I try it.
what flavors do you like, i see netritions has many kinds----i like the old standbys of choc and vanilla, but what else is good

Thanks
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

The cookies and creme is real good, and so are all the chocolate ones. I want to try the chocolate coconut and cake batter sometime soon.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Double Rich Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream and Banana Cream are my favorites. Next time I want to buy the Chocolate Malt and Mocha Cappuccino.

I didn't buy the Cookies and Cream - although I wanted to - because I saw that the ingredients listed wheat flour, sugar and that the cocoa is processed with high fructose corn syrup and corn flour among other things......
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Double Rich Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream and Banana Cream are my favorites. Next time I want to buy the Chocolate Malt and Mocha Cappuccino.

I didn't buy the Cookies and Cream - although I wanted to - because I saw that the ingredients listed wheat flour, sugar and that the cocoa is processed with high fructose corn syrup and corn flour among other things......
Damn! Looks like I better start reading the labels a little better on the supplements
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I love Jay Robb. Worth the extra money it costs me. Not gritty. Can mix it with water and only 1 carb a scoop. I usually use coconut milk with a shot of davinci flavoring
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bslick
protein shakes

I just bought Walkers Diet Meat Replacement protein Shake...Made some this morning and brought to work. First thing I notice..it is really very thick, like pudding. I did read some reviews that stated this, but they said it was delishish...Yeah, right. Well I tried to take a drink...Just the smell made me start gagging I finally was able to take a small drink...OMG. It is horrible! I bought this brand after reading lots and lots of reviews about how good it was. My suggestion is to buy something else. Can you tell me is Jay Robb really thick? And Smelly? . Just want to find something that actually taste good to help with eating in the daytime. I'm looking for a workout protein shake mix. I'm pretty much don't do a lot of exercise. My job consist of sitting at a desk and in the evening, well to tired and busy to do a bunch of exercise.

Last edited by bslick; 08-08-2012 at 04:46 AM..
bslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bslick
Sorry, I meant to say I am NOT looking for a workout protein shake
bslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
I use PlantFusion made from plant protein.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Trutein Whey Protein has become my new favorite. I've tried 7-8 other brands over the years, some good, some -- eh. Gaspari Myofusion used to be my favorite hands down, but they changed their formula. (Their ratings/reviews have gone way down since.)

yep heard lots of great things about this from several big name gurus! Gonna try it myself!
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote