Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
I like Vital Whey. It is made from the milk of grass-fed cows.
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
I received my vanilla Trutein today. It is fantastic! Today was a rest day so I didn't indulge in it too much but I mixed up a 1/2 a scoop and added it to 1/2 cup of almond milk and it is delicious. The most remarkable thing is how smooth it is. There isn't one ounce of grittiness to be found. So glad I went with this one. I'm still waiting to receive my individual packets of Jay Robb and I'll udate once I try it.

Thanks again for all the help!
BitsyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitsyMay View Post
I received my vanilla Trutein today. It is fantastic! Today was a rest day so I didn't indulge in it too much but I mixed up a 1/2 a scoop and added it to 1/2 cup of almond milk and it is delicious. The most remarkable thing is how smooth it is. There isn't one ounce of grittiness to be found. So glad I went with this one. I'm still waiting to receive my individual packets of Jay Robb and I'll udate once I try it.

Thanks again for all the help!
Yay! So glad you liked it. I knew you would. And I agree, it's incredibly smooth and indulgent-tasting. Love this stuff. Looking forward to trying the Cinnamon Bun. Will place an order soon. My 5-lb tub of Trutein is almost gone...
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

I made some protein bars with the powder, some PB2 and ground up almonds. I whipped it up before I went to the gym and put it in the fridge. I had one when I got home and it was delicious!

I ordered a sample of the cinnamon bun. It's probably sitting in my mailbox waiting for me, but I never made it to the post office today. I'll let you know how I like it once I try it.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
I made some protein bars with the powder, some PB2 and ground up almonds. I whipped it up before I went to the gym and put it in the fridge. I had one when I got home and it was delicious!

I ordered a sample of the cinnamon bun. It's probably sitting in my mailbox waiting for me, but I never made it to the post office today. I'll let you know how I like it once I try it.
do youknow what the cost of the sample package is and does it just come in a 5# container
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

The sample package is $1.99. It's a single serving and I think it comes in an envelope, but not really sure. They do charge shipping, I ordered 3 and the total charge including shipping was under $9.00.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/210/175
WOE: Low Carb
Just received my order of Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. HOLY SMOKE! So smooth and delicious! Are we sure this stuff is legal? LOL LOVE IT!!!!
sports_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_mom View Post
Just received my order of Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. HOLY SMOKE! So smooth and delicious! Are we sure this stuff is legal? LOL LOVE IT!!!!
I KNOW. That's what sold me -- fabulously smooth and the taste is out of this world.

I want all the flavors.

I want it all!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Oh boy--I am the odd man out here!!! I ordered Trutein (Chocolate-dipped Strawberry) and neither of my boys like it! I needed to find something to replace the Myofusion (which they love) but this is not it.

I stick to low carb protein powders so I use Dymatize.
Lisa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_mom View Post
I tried my sample envelope of this today and it is fantastic! I still haven't tried the cinnamon bun. Maybe tomorrow. I love how easy and yummy it is to get my protein in now. I may need to buy stock in Trutein
Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
Oh boy--I am the odd man out here!!! I ordered Trutein (Chocolate-dipped Strawberry) and neither of my boys like it! I needed to find something to replace the Myofusion (which they love) but this is not it.

I stick to low carb protein powders so I use Dymatize.
No kidding?

Lisa, maybe it's just that flavor that doesn't click with them. I've read reviews that the vanilla is really yummy, and now we learn (below) that the chocoPB is all that. Decisions, decisions...

Maybe getting the sample pack like BitsyMay has done will help you decide if it's for you or not.

We all have different preferences, regardless. I've tried Dymatize in the past. It's good, but I like Trutein far better. You're right, they should NEVER bave messed with the orig formula of Myofusion. WHAT were they THINKING?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #42

Okay, so Sports Mom and Bitsy, now I gotta decide what to order next. I can't afford to buy two 5lb jugs of this stuff at once....

Maybe I should just throw the dice on this one...
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

On that bodybuilding site, a lot of people like vanilla and chocolate covered banana too. lol
Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to try the cinnamon bun this afternoon after my workout. I'll let you know how I like it! I tend to think I would stick with the vanilla only because it's easier to flavor it if you want to. You could add cocoa powder, peanut butter or cinnamon and brown sugar syrup like I've been doing. With the other flavors you are more limited, but the chocolate peanut butter cup is pretty damn good!!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I'm going to go broke on this stuff. The cinnabun is amazing. I baked with it because after a workout I want to eat. I sip water throughout my workouts so to try to suck down a protein shake after that isn't fun. I'm including a picture. I took one scoop of cinnabun protein powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3 tbs of water and mixed it all up. I sprayed a small bowl with evoo cooking spray, poured the batter in and baked at 350 for 12 minutes. I live in the mountains so your baking time might vary since I'm in a higher altitude. When I got home from my run I sliced this in half, toasted it and put a very small amount of butter on each slice. It was absolutely delicious and I will be ordering this one. I could have one of these with breakfast every morning. For 120 calories, you cannot got wrong. In fact, after an 8 mile run 120 calories really isn't enough which is why I felt okay about adding butter to it. Oh, and next time I make this I will add a little cinnamon. I didn't this time because I wanted to get the real taste of the powder without adding anything. It doesn't need the added cinnamon, but I figure why not
This is how it looked right out of the oven:
Old 08-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

That looks DELICIOUS!!! Yum!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to go broke on this stuff. The cinnabun is amazing. I baked with it because after a workout I want to eat. I sip water throughout my workouts so to try to suck down a protein shake after that isn't fun. I'm including a picture. I took one scoop of cinnabun protein powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3 tbs of water and mixed it all up. I sprayed a small bowl with evoo cooking spray, poured the batter in and baked at 350 for 12 minutes. I live in the mountains so your baking time might vary since I'm in a higher altitude. When I got home from my run I sliced this in half, toasted it and put a very small amount of butter on each slice. It was absolutely delicious and I will be ordering this one. I could have one of these with breakfast every morning. For 120 calories, you cannot got wrong. In fact, after an 8 mile run 120 calories really isn't enough which is why I felt okay about adding butter to it. Oh, and next time I make this I will add a little cinnamon. I didn't this time because I wanted to get the real taste of the powder without adding anything. It doesn't need the added cinnamon, but I figure why not
This is how it looked right out of the oven:
OMG. I agree. looks/sounds fabulous! I think I'm gonna have to go with cinnamon bun this next order. I may go ahead and order the samples too. But for the "big jug" order, I've decided to go with cinnamon bun. I love all things cinnamon, and i'm REALLY excited to try this recipe out.

I prefer CHEWING over drinking postworkout too, so this will definitely work for me.

Eight miles? Very cool. I would love to be able to run eight straight miles. Most I've ever run is a little over three. But considering I used to not be able to run more than a couple minutes without having to stop, that's no small victory for me. lol

You go, runner girl!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla, I am sure you're going to love it. Especially with fall coming up, cinnamon just sounds like a good fall flavor. You can do a lot with this too. I'm tempted to dice up a 1/2 an apple, sprinkle it with cinnamon and nutmeg, nuke it till it softens a bit and adding it to this mixture to bake. Sounds like a good post run snack. And healthy! I have to keep reminding myself that this stuff is good for me. I'm going to wait another week or two before I order the cinnabun. I've got a cruise coming up in a few weeks so I need to make sure I'm not going to brake the bank on this stuff! This also makes me wonder if I'll have a hard time traveling with my protein powder. I definitely don't want to carry a whole tub of this stuff on an airplane and cruise, but something tells me that trying to board a plane with a powdery, white substance in an zoplock bag is a bad idea!
And yes, running is my thing. You'd be surprised how quickly you can build up your distance once you have a good 3 mile running base. I've got a couple half marathons coming up this fall and that is my favorite time of year to run. The cool, crisp air and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement totally get me in the zone and sometimes I feel like I could run forever...pure bliss!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I did some more baking today and I came up with a fabulous bread I made with Trutein. I'll share some pictures. It was so easy. I took 4 scoops of vanilla Trutein, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbs cinnamon and brown sugar Torani syrup and enough water(about 6-7tbs) to bring it to a cake like consistancy. I sprayed a loaf pan with evoo spray and poured in the batter. I baked it at 350 for 17 minutes and it came out perfect. I had my 5 yr old neice over here today and she chowed down on it! If it passes the 5yr old test I know it's a good recipe

This bread was great with a little PB2 on it. Perfect post workout snack. I ate that after my workout at 4:15 and I'm still not hungry for supper.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

YUM! I'm gonna try that!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wkupharm
Stats: 329/170/160
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 07/2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples11 View Post
The best I have found is NNW 100% Whey Protein Powder, manufactured in Nebraska and sold at HyVee in Iowa (and perhaps more places than that). Have never tried buying it online since I can get it close to home. Ingredients are: Pure Whey Protein Concentrate, Pure Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Flavor, Xantham Gum, Stevia, Color Added. I really like the short list of ingredients.

I prefer the Strawberry (whipped with cream and water and ice) but the Chocolate/Peanut Butter is also good. Hope you find one you like!

OMG, just got my hands on the PB Cup....just blended with ice, and coconut milk + stevia. This is what all LC protein shakes should taste like. Reeses in a cup! Love it!
wkupharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #52

Quote:
I did some more baking today and I came up with a fabulous bread I made with Trutein. I'll share some pictures. It was so easy. I took 4 scoops of vanilla Trutein, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbs cinnamon and brown sugar Torani syrup and enough water(about 6-7tbs) to bring it to a cake like consistancy. I sprayed a loaf pan with evoo spray and poured in the batter. I baked it at 350 for 17 minutes and it came out perfect. I had my 5 yr old neice over here today and she chowed down on it! If it passes the 5yr old test I know it's a good recipe

This bread was great with a little PB2 on it. Perfect post workout snack. I ate that after my workout at 4:15 and I'm still not hungry for supper.
Julie, my Cinnabun arrived. I tried your recipe - was going by memory, so I forgot your tip on the s/f syrup - but was craving pumpkin, so I tried adding 125 grams of canned pumpkin, and also a quick dash of ground cloves in addition to the cinnamon.

Ohhhhhmygoodness. SO.YUMMY. I made it into mini muffins instead of bread. 6 minis are the equivalent of 1 scoop or protein powder, so that's how I determine how many to eat when I'm going for a snack.

With the 1 tbs of evco, they avg 20 cals per mini, 4 prot, less than 1 carb. Fantastic!

Highly recommend this recipe.

I wanna try this again but with less evco but keep the pumpkin for moistness, just to make them lower in fat (since daily cals matter for me right now).

My next order I'm trying the choco PB Trutein. Can't wait.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
This thread makes ordering Trutein so tempting! I looked around but can't find anywhere close by (erm, as in on this continent) that sells it.

Anyway, the point is moot as I ordered ON's 100% Whey Chocolate Mint veeeery early this morning. I am marking my place though for the recipes- they look delicious!
maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bslick
trutien samples

okay..I have went to the trutien website and found the samples. They sound yumm..I select the ones I want i put all my information in even put in payment information, but then there is no button to submit or continue. only to keep shopping. Has anyone else had this problem? I even created an account and it still won't go any further. I would really like to try these..but?
bslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Julie, my Cinnabun arrived. I tried your recipe - was going by memory, so I forgot your tip on the s/f syrup - but was craving pumpkin, so I tried adding 125 grams of canned pumpkin, and also a quick dash of ground cloves in addition to the cinnamon.

Ohhhhhmygoodness. SO.YUMMY. I made it into mini muffins instead of bread. 6 minis are the equivalent of 1 scoop or protein powder, so that's how I determine how many to eat when I'm going for a snack.

With the 1 tbs of evco, they avg 20 cals per mini, 4 prot, less than 1 carb. Fantastic!

Highly recommend this recipe.

I wanna try this again but with less evco but keep the pumpkin for moistness, just to make them lower in fat (since daily cals matter for me right now).

My next order I'm trying the choco PB Trutein. Can't wait.
My cinnabun arrived today! Wish I had read this earlier. I saw canned pumkin at the Dollar Tree, but didn't get it. I will go back though because your recipe sounds fantastic. I love pumkin and I bet it does make it nice and moist. I'm not going to bother using any syrup with the Cinnabun powder. It is nice in the vanilla, but the Cinnabun is so good on it's own, there is really no need.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Well, Isopure makes a Zero carb whey protein. It tastes pretty good, but for some reason it is SALTY, which turns me off. It's not too bad, but if you make cookies, you will have to sweeten them a lot to cover up the salty taste. Optimum nutrition was supposed to be the bomb based on Amazon reviews, but I was disappointed in it. I would recommend staying far far away from the kind Wal Mart sells: Body Fortress and Pure Protein. Too many carbs for what tastes like dirt. Designer Whey is good, but pricey. I recommend buying the smallest container you can find and trying to find a coupon or coupon code to buy it with. Good luck choosing one.
I was considering trying the Nature's Best Isopure next. I only use the powders for meal replacement or post resistance training drinks so "salty" is the last thing I wanted to hear for a taste description. I know it's been a while since you posted but what flavor did you get?

I currently have Dymatize Elite in Rich Chocolate and am pleased with the taste but it's the first brand I tried at a friends recommendation, and I'd like to test out some others.

The salty taste thing is a deal breaker. Perhaps I should look into the Trutein since it's getting such rave review on here.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Who makes a pancake with there protein powder?? Any recipes?
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Who makes a pancake with there protein powder?? Any recipes?
I have this recipe on my “to try” list. Based on user reviews, it's supposed to be absolutely delicious with a texture like IHOP pancakes.

Ultimate Protein Pancakes

Yield: 6 large pancakes

Nutrition Info (per pancake):
51 Calories
3g Carbs
1g Fiber
9g Protein
1g Fat

Ingredients:
6oz Oikos Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt
1 tbsp Egg Beaters 100% Egg Whites
1/4 cup Atkins -All-Purpose Flour
2/3 scoop Dymatize Elite Whey Protein Isolate (Gourmet Vanilla)
1 tsp baking soda

Preparation:
  1. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (protein powder, flour, and baking soda), and mix with a fork until well combined.
  2. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (egg white and yogurt) and mix until well combined.
  3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring as you go until everything is totally combined.. The batter should become thick.
  4. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  5. Drop batter by the spoonful into the pan. Pancakes will expand as they cook, so don’t put them too close together.
  6. When little bubbles start to form all throughout the pancake, it’s time to flip. Flip a couple of times until it’s thoroughly cooked.
  7. Transfer pancakes to a plate and serve.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Any other ideas for using up my protein powders? I don't know why I buy them, as I really don't like drinking shakes. I am just not a shake person. Well actually I know why, because I read about shakes in the Eades' books. I have good quality soy and whey based low carb powders with my coop label. I really don't want to toss them, but still I am just not into drinking shakes and my WOE is firmly into eating what I enjoy.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
If you are a low carber, be careful alot of those have acesulfame potassium which is an artificial sweetener that can stall...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote