LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hooligan
Stats: 245/210/145
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: August 2, 2012
Heavy Whipping Cream or Half and Half?

OK...so I'm on induction and I know calories and fat shouldn't matter as much as carbs do but I'm still concerned with how many calories are in the HWC. I drink a LOT of coffee and use cream in it. Do you think I should switch to half and half or is that much HWC ok? I also like to use HWC for soups and sauces and don't want to replace the half and half for that because I need the thickness of the HWC. What are your opinions? Is switching to half and half worth the carbs in order to decrease the calories?

~Robert Frost

My Journal...such as it is
245 240 235 230 225 220 215 210 205 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Just to compare

HWC = 1 Tbs. per serving at 50 calories and 0 carbs

Half and Half = 2 Tbs. per serving at 40 calories and 1 carb
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
1 cup of half-n-half yields 10.4 carbs; heavy cream, 6.6. I use a ton of heavy cream, too.

I love that Dr. Atkins stresses throughout the text the following sentiment in 1,000 different ways: "Count carbs, not calories." I do highlights on this book regularly & put obnoxious stars around every single reference. For whatever it's worth, after all these years I remain a huge proponent of NOT counting/restricting calories, fat, or portions. Tons will disagree, but one thing continues to hold true for me in terms of menu: for fat loss on Atkins, starch/sugar restriction flat gets the job done.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
1 cup of half-n-half yields 10.4 carbs; heavy cream, 6.6. I use a ton of heavy cream, too.

I love that Dr. Atkins stresses throughout the text the following sentiment in 1,000 different ways: "Count carbs, not calories." I do highlights on this book regularly & put obnoxious stars around every single reference. For whatever it's worth, after all these years I remain a huge proponent of NOT counting/restricting calories, fat, or portions. Tons will disagree, but one thing continues to hold true for me in terms of menu: for fat loss on Atkins, starch/sugar restriction flat gets the job done.

Yeah but let's say I use 1 Cup per day in my coffee...I'm not really sure, I've never measured but let's say I do...there's only a 4 carb difference between the two yet 507 calorie and 61 gram of fat difference. Which do you think is worse? 4 carbs or 507 calories and 61 grams of fat? I just don't know. At some point, I feel like calories do count...I feel like the high calories and fat keep you feeling full and you don't intake as many calories as you would on a low fat/calorie diet which is where a low carb diet is great. However, If I take in the same amount of carbs and injest fewer calories and fat along the way, it stands to reason that I'll lose weight better with fewer. Know what I mean? Or do you really think it doesn't matter?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
This is not just a matter of calories or carbs, but the saturated fat from cream is GOOD FOR YOU (not everyone agrees, but I firmly believe this is true and there are ample scientific studies to support that belief). If nothing else, the higher fat content in cream will reduce your hunger because it's very satisfying.

All that said, if you are following Atkins,there's a limit to how much you should be having each day. I don't remember if the limit is 3 or 4 tbsp, but 1 cup worth is clearly excessive. So is enough coffee to require that much cream--read up on adrenal fatigue and you will see that one of the leading causes is caffiene. This is a great time to consider cutting back on both.

I've recently cut out most dairy (except butter) and weight loss seems to be a little steadier without it. But if and when I use dairy, I get a lot more "bang for the buck" with real cream.

Last edited by Janknitz; 08-04-2012 at 05:56 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
How about just watering down the HWC?
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I agree that HWC is better, but you must limit it. A lot of people here have had stalls because of HWC. I always measure mine out so I know for sure how much I'm getting. It's certainly not a "free" food to eat as much as you want.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I drink a ton of coffee and use a lot of cream.
I switched to 1/2 and 1/2 because my calories were out of control with the HWC.
To me the switch was totally worth it.

I also had to start measuring out my cream...I could drink a ton of it.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I agree that HWC is better, but you must limit it. A lot of people here have had stalls because of HWC. I always measure mine out so I know for sure how much I'm getting. It's certainly not a "free" food to eat as much as you want.
Even Atkins said that you should limit it to 3-4 TBSP per day. That's not a whole lot. You could be easily drinking a 1/2 cup of the stuff and not realize it.

Also, this is just a 'me' thing - but coffee is now a treat for me, and NOT a daily occurrence!!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I drink two or three or four cups of coffee most days and use half & half in each. That's because that's just the taste I enjoy the most. I don't like the oil slick that happens when I use HWC or CO in hot coffee, so I don't put either in my coffee, although I use both HWC and CO in my diet and enjoy both.

I wasn't able to lose well on strict low carb so now do a mid-range carb level, which is both very easy and very pleasant to eat at and very effective for me personally. I pay more attention to calories than carbs, although I do pay attention to my overall level of all three macro nutrients, and this has worked wonders for me and still does. You'll find what works best for you and what you enjoy the most and feel best doing. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you are in the first 2 wks. of induction, I would use hwc and see how you do. If after that time period, you think you are not losing the way you should be, then do 2 wks. with half/half.

In terms of calorie counting, it is often not needed and that is the beauty of an Atkins style woe but some folks must consider calories if weight loss is not happening. Don't assume you are one that must count calories when you are just getting started. It may not be the case and you are complicating things when you may not need to.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Yeah but let's say I use 1 Cup per day in my coffee...I'm not really sure, I've never measured but let's say I do...there's only a 4 carb difference between the two yet 507 calorie and 61 gram of fat difference. Which do you think is worse? 4 carbs or 507 calories and 61 grams of fat? I just don't know. At some point, I feel like calories do count...I feel like the high calories and fat keep you feeling full and you don't intake as many calories as you would on a low fat/calorie diet which is where a low carb diet is great. However, If I take in the same amount of carbs and injest fewer calories and fat along the way, it stands to reason that I'll lose weight better with fewer. Know what I mean? Or do you really think it doesn't matter?
Again, I don't restrict calories or fat, so I would always opt for the full-fat product over its reduced-fat counterpart. But then I've been completely OUT of the low-fat/calorie mindset that kept me at a size 12 at 5'2" pre-Atkins for over the past decade. In terms of amounts, while I do have quite a bit of heavy cream per day, it isn't one full cup. I just allow it with gusto.

There are limits for heavy cream, etc. in the Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, discussed in the Induction chapter - see pages 121-131. My favorite part of the chapter: "I cannot stress strongly enough that trying to do a low-fat version of Atkins will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss." ~DANDR

It isn't that I don't believe calories exist; it's that I don't feel it's necessary to count/restrict them, so long as the program is being adhered to properly. Again, tons will disagree!
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
You made no mention of calorie counting or trying to eat low-fat Atkins, so I'm assuming you are eating the meat & eggs, the initial limitations of dairy cheeses, cream, etc..

You will just need to see how your body responds to your eating plan. For lots of folks who eat low carb the Atkins way, the strong limiting of carbohydrate from their diet brings their appetites down to a low level, allowing them to comfortably eat smaller quantities of food at their meals, and weight loss happens easily.

If you are one of us who get no appetite suppression from extreme low carb eating, the full fat foods that are so delicious, eaten to appetite satisfaction, bring every day's calorie totals far, far too high for any weight loss to occur, and that's when the counting usually needs to happen. LOL A bit more control needs to happen.

But you aren't there yet and may never reach the point where you need to worry about that. What flavor do you want your coffee to be? Use whatever you want for the taste you enjoy, and if it's working you're *home free*.. You can always switch from one to the other if you want to.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post

+1

I would not advocate gorging on low carb foods as excess is counter-productive, however, I don't see HWC in coffee as gorging. I think you need to try it for a few days and see how it goes. If you stall then you know to cut back, if you continue to lose, well, then you know you're okay with that amount.

With low-carbing it's always a YMMV kinda thing, and you have to find what works for you. Nobody can tell you how your body will react to a certain food.

Last edited by SharonB61; 08-05-2012 at 07:02 AM..
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

My calories kill me, so I use the Almond/Coconut Unsweetened refrigerated milk then top with cream. I get the coffee light like I like it without a bazillion calories.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! It's definitely "food for thought." I'm getting ready to go shopping today still haven't decided what to do...you all have given some great input on both sides of the fence! I do definitely get the appetite suppression with Atkins so I have that going for me. I don't plan on cutting fat anywhere else...I still eat butter, eggs, full fat cheese etc...I was just wondering if maybe switching to half and half might help me lose quicker. I guess what I'll do is buy the HWC and measure it out and see how much I really do use in an average day with my coffee. I just am NOT willing to give up my coffee at this stage in the game. It may happen some day...but I don't feel I can handle that now. Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Could you make your own half and half? Equal parts of HWC and Almond Milk. Almond milk is only 1 carb and 40 calories a cup.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Thanks everyone! It's definitely "food for thought." I'm getting ready to go shopping today still haven't decided what to do...you all have given some great input on both sides of the fence! I do definitely get the appetite suppression with Atkins so I have that going for me. I don't plan on cutting fat anywhere else...I still eat butter, eggs, full fat cheese etc...I was just wondering if maybe switching to half and half might help me lose quicker. I guess what I'll do is buy the HWC and measure it out and see how much I really do use in an average day with my coffee. I just am NOT willing to give up my coffee at this stage in the game. It may happen some day...but I don't feel I can handle that now. Thanks again for all the advice!
I wouldn't think using 1/2 & 1/2 vs. HWC would mean you are eating low fat given your other foods have plenty of fat. Dr. Atkins did say you mostly need to worry about carbs but calories do count.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (51, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 11/30/13
When I use hwc I only need 1T per cup of coffee. I drink 1 cup of coffee on work days, and 2 on days off.

If I use 1/2 and 1/2, I need at least 2T per cup to achieve the same creaminess, so I just go with the hwc. 1T of 1/2 and 1/2 isn't enough, so it seems like a bit of a wash.
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #20

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I agree, use HWC and use MUCH less, or else water it down and shake before using.

milk is so high in sugar and half and half is half milk. better to find a way to avoid that.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
McK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McK
Stats: 255.5/243.5/150 high was 264 in May
WOE: Atkins 72
I worry about that too, but the milk sugar in half and half definitely gives me cravings. And I have found when I am truly eating low carb I drink much less coffee -- and I had a serious habit when dragging along eating carbs. I was drinking tons of coffee and then switching to diet sodas for more caffeine.
So with being under 20 carbs I have only had 2 cups a day and not wanted more, so the HWC is a nice treat. Try it and see what works for you!
McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #22

Gallery: flatferenghi
apart from carb considerations:

hwc is far more luxurious an experience than 1/2 & 1/2. I could not believe how rich 1 tsp of hwc in coffee could be, the 1st time I tried it. I felt like I was sitting in a Viennese coffee house. Just watch your consumption. Dr. Atkins puts limits even on that. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddesslynne View Post
When I use hwc I only need 1T per cup of coffee. I drink 1 cup of coffee on work days, and 2 on days off.

If I use 1/2 and 1/2, I need at least 2T per cup to achieve the same creaminess, so I just go with the hwc. 1T of 1/2 and 1/2 isn't enough, so it seems like a bit of a wash.

^ This has been my experience too.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
i really prefer half and half for iced coffee... the HWC seems to curdle up or something weird when i put in iced coffee... But i try to limit to half or maybe a full serving and i only drink coffee in the AM.
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Hey Hooligan! As you know, I am following Primal not Atkins, but for whatever it's worth, I just don't like HWC in my coffee. The mouth-feel is too greasy for me. I'll take the tiny amount of additional carbs to have the half/half. Then again, I only drink 1 large cup per day - perhaps a 2nd of decaf now and then. I've been making all kinds of iced herbal teas this summer - delish!

Last edited by Portia; 08-07-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I know that you didn't ask this but it may be something to consider..... if your coffee is of good quality, cream, milk or any whitener is really not necessary. It is great unadulterated.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I know that you didn't ask this but it may be something to consider..... if your coffee is of good quality, cream, milk or any whitener is really not necessary. It is great unadulterated.
nope, sadly I need adulterated coffee...I'm too much of a baby. Maybe I'll try working my way to black...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Heavy cream all the way!!!!!!
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote