LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hplayford
Stats: 150-ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Hummus?

Last night I had a small amout of hummus. It has 6 grams of carbs per 2TBLsoons. I had less than that and I'm out of ketosis. There is 0 sugar in hummus and I thought that as long as I didn't max out my induction carbs (less than 20 a day) I would be ok?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, has anyone eaten Dreamfield's pasta during induction?
hplayford is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Technically, you aren't supposed to eat ANYTHING that's not an Induction food. Chickpeas, even though they are good for you, are fairly high in carbs, so they aren't on the "approved foods list". Having said that though, if the nutrition facts you quoted were correct, then it shouldn't have knocked you out of ketosis. I can't explain that one.

As for Dreamfields, I guess I'd have to be one of its biggest fans on this board, and yes I have eaten it on Induction. It never seemed to keep me from losing weight and it never gave me the bloating or digestive problems that others complain about. We eat it all the time at my house, and my wife who isn't on a low carb diet eats it just as much as I do. If you are diabetic or very insulin resistant, it might affect you differently. A lot of this stuff is major trial and error. What works for others won't work for me, and vice versa. Your biggest friend on this diet is time and experimentation. Good luck.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
What else did you eat besides the hummus?
As far as Atkins induction, there's a very long, but strict, list of foods allowed. It's best, if you're following a specific plan, to only eat the foods that plan says are ok.
Dreamfields is iffy, and def not for induction.
If you do a search for "dreamfields" on here, you'll find dozens of posts with people telling their personal experiences with it.
Welcome to LCF as well
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
I personally do not like the feel of the pasta after cooked. That is what keeps me from eating it.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Whether you are in ketosis depends on the total number of carbs you eat (and your personal tolerance level for carbs). So maybe it wasn't that the hummus in particular kicked you out of ketosis, but rather that the total carbs for the day did. Also, how are you evaluating whether you are in ketosis? The ketostix never turn color for some people, and I think the results may vary depending on how much water you drink, etc.

I was a vegetarian for most of my adult life, and hummus used to be a staple food for me. I don't eat it--or anything made with legumes--anymore, because I need to keep my carb grams in the 20s/day to lose now. (I also have lousy portion control with hummus.) If you are doing induction, don't eat anything that isn't on the acceptable food list for induction--at least for the first 2 weeks.

I don't find any legumes except black soybeans to have an acceptably low enough carb level for me, and I only use 1 can of black soybeans in a large batch of chili. YMMV, of course, but you still should stay away from legumes while in induction.

If you are feeling overly restrained by induction-level food choices, make yourself stay within the restrictions for just 2 weeks and then go with OWL (on-going weightloss), slowly moving up the carb ladder, to be on the safe side.

The only way to see how Dreamfields works for you is to test it--definitely post-induction. Some people find that their blood sugar spikes the same way with Dreamfields as it does with regular pasta; others find this isn't the case for them. (See the post about Dreamfields at The Diet Doctor's blog.) If you do test post-meal blood sugar (using the sort of blood meter that diabetics use), then be sure to test at half-hour or hour intervals for several hours after eating Dreamfields. Just because your blood sugar doesn't spike right away doesn't mean there's not a problem; it may spike 3 or 4 hours later, and still give you the undesirable insulin rush that prevents weightloss for many of us.

I hope this helps. You may just have to experiment to see what works for you, but get through 2 weeks of induction, sticking with the limits specified in the book, first.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote