Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2jjl
Stats: ??/ sz 4-6
WOE: LOW CARB
Do I have to count calories?

I see so many conflicting things on this! In order to lose do I have to count calories? Did you count calories to lose? I really REALLY don't want to have to count calories
mom2jjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Some people have to count; others don't. It all depends on the person--age, genetics, medical issues, etc. It's impossible to predict.

If you're just beginning low-carb eating, I'd suggest you just focus on staying on plan and ignore calories for a while. If you hit a stall or just aren't losing, then it might be time to see if you have a caloric deficit.

A deficit is necessary for any weight loss, but many people achieve that simply by eating low carb.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
It seems generally people don't have to worry too much about calories, at least not at first, as long as carbohydrates are kept low enough. Those with not much weight to loose or metabolic problems may need to pay closer attention to calories, but sometimes it seems that is really more being able to recognize and paying attention to the full signal when eating. Sometimes that signal is not easily recognized or isn't perceived properly until the body has healed some.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Hi mom. I wouldn't worry about it at all in the beginning. Just concentrate on sticking to the plan and eating the right foods. Eating low carb should reduce your appitite enough so calories won't be an issue.

You didn't post your weight, so not sure if you have a lot or a little to lose. You may need to start watching calories as you approach your ideal weight. I know I'm watching mine like a hawk right now.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Hi mom2jjl!!

No you don't have to count calories, especially in the beginning when you are first learning to cut your carbs unless you have very little to lose. I have not counted calories yet and am just starting to think about it as I am nearing my goal weight and my weight loss has slowed down.

Which plan are you following - did you buy a book on the plan? If not you should, it really helps. You can buy a lot of the Atkins books inexpensively. Not having a plan is like going a trip without a road map, you may end up in the ditch

Good luck on your journey!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
I don't count calories and refuse to. For me, (this time and the last time I lost on low carb) I didn't count calories (reminds me too much of my eating disorder days so it's not good for me). If you're starting out, I wouldn't worry about calories, just eat until you're satisfied with the good low carb food. Good luck!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmom View Post
Hi mom2jjl!!

No you don't have to count calories, especially in the beginning when you are first learning to cut your carbs unless you have very little to lose. I have not counted calories yet and am just starting to think about it as I am nearing my goal weight and my weight loss has slowed down.

Which plan are you following - did you buy a book on the plan? If not you should, it really helps. You can buy a lot of the Atkins books inexpensively. Not having a plan is like going a trip without a road map, you may end up in the ditch

Good luck on your journey!

Audrey

I am starting EXACTLY where you started!! I am 226 i'm 5'7 and my goal weight is 140..or size 4-6 whichever comes first SOOOO THRILLED at the responses i have gotten on this!! I did NOT want to count calories!! Counting carbs is easy..I am just keeping them under 20..thanks everyone for the responses!! You told me what I wanted to hear!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your woe is listed as JUDDD. Isn't that all about calorie counting?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
For the first 50 pounds ... I didn't count a single calorie and probably had a pretty high daily calorie count due to the higher fat foods.

Since then, for these last 20-ish pounds, I have HAD to count calories and stay in the 1200 range to lose. I can eat 1500-ish to maintain.

Protein helps keep my appetite in check...for some it's higher fat that does the trick, but for me, fattier foods make me want more food.
Mishka68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I have to keep my carbs very low (NOT net carbs - I count all carbs) and keep my calories low also. I am diabetic so that may play a part.
floridagirl6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Your woe is listed as JUDDD. Isn't that all about calorie counting?
Hi.. Just looking arund here, and Yes she has the wrong WOE listed.. I think she is looking for what is goin to work best for her.. and leaning more toward doing the LOW CARB way. I hope she finds what works for her~ I love to read about low carb foods cuz i still do JUDDD with LOW CARB.. i feel soo much better when i dont eat the bad carb foods~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
JUDDD certainly DEMANDS calorie counting,particularly on DD (down days). If you're interested in the program go to JUDDD - Low Carb Friends.

If you want to pursue a more traditional LC program like Atkins, calorie counting is not essential. However, in the last analysis, calories still are important in determining your rate of loss. The thrust of most LC plans rests with the hope that your appetite will be suppressed enough that you won't desire excess calories. If you overeat, you'll have difficulty losing.

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
I hate hate hate counting calories. To me, it is way too hard especially when cooking for a family too. I tried JUDDD, like the idea, hate counting calories!! I have had great success in just finding what low carb foods satisfy me the most, therefore I am cutting calories without trying to.

I try to eat only when really hungry. I have found if I have coconut oil in some way in the morning, I am never really hungry until dinner. We even eat pretty late most nights. If I'm hungry before dinner, a handful of almonds will always take care of that growl!

The best way to be successful is find something that you will do, day in and day out. If counting calories is overwhelming during the "honeymoon" phase, it most definetly will not be something you will stick with.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
People have highly varied experiences with this. I think calories are a misleading measurement since the type of food and the meal timing are more powerful in terms of hormone signaling. For myself, avoiding all snacks and empty carbs means that my appetite for meat/veg/etc. remains accurate and trustworthy so I don't need to tally anything.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
Maybe, Maybe not. It depends on a lot of things including if you are a person who tends to eat for fun. Sometimes one has to count to keep calories high enough, sometimes low enough and sometimes you don't need to count at all.

Dr Atkins didn't say calories don't count, he said carbs count more.
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jjl View Post
I see so many conflicting things on this! In order to lose do I have to count calories? Did you count calories to lose? I really REALLY don't want to have to count calories
I don't think there are many who do. It's just one more little hassle, although I will say that it's pretty easy after awhile.. not quite as simple as carb counting, but very similar in that you still need to know the number of units in the food at the portion size you're going to be eating it. If you are truly counting carbs as you are going up the Carb Ladder, you still have to figure your numbers, based on your portion size, so it's just carb numbers instead of calorie numbers. That is.. if you actually count the carbs. And you also just come to learn the numbers in what foods you usually eat, so once you've learned the numbers, you're pretty much freed of a whole lot of the actual figuring and counting.

I didn't get appetite suppression on low carb, so apparently didn't eat at a low enough calorie level to lose weight. On my calorie counting and cycling plan (JUDDD), I found weight loss easy and maintenance pretty darned easy too.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
We tend to eat the same things over and over so I don't give it a thought on a daily basis but every once in a while I will take a peek at my Calorie King counter and make an adjustment in fats or protein if need be. Example: noticed how many calories we consumed eating cheese, so we cut way, way back. Broke my long time stall.
mamasooze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
For the most part I do not count calories. A lot of reading about the variables involved with the old calories in/calories out theory has me convinced that it doesn't always work for everyone. I choose to count carb grams instead. Granted, eating too many calories will no doubt prevent weight loss or cause a gain, but I think after many years of watching carbs one gets a pretty good idea of what is high calorie and what is not.

I try and make my WOE as easy and stress free as possible, that way it's easy to stay on plan.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
It says you are on JUDDD- In that case, yes, you do. That is your weight loss plan.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
A lot of people on JUDDD follow the plan "loosely". I don't count calories but on down days I just eat a lot less than I do on an up day. No calories counted.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #21
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I'm an Atkins girl, and it's always been just carb restriction for me.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
Actually, I count carbs, calories, and protein. I want to make sure that I am not eating too much or too little. I am thinking of counting fat also.
floridagirl6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl6 View Post
Actually, I count carbs, calories, and protein. I want to make sure that I am not eating too much or too little. I am thinking of counting fat also.
I never thought I would, but I've gotten to where I actually like counting calories, fat, carbs and protein. Pretty easy to do on ******. I do have to weigh and measure, though, which I wasn't doing before. But, hey, THIS is working!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I never thought I would, but I've gotten to where I actually like counting calories, fat, carbs and protein. Pretty easy to do on ******. I do have to weigh and measure, though, which I wasn't doing before. But, hey, THIS is working!
Woo Hoo! Very glad for you.

I'm with you. If I was naturally slim, regardless of what I ate, regardless of when or how much I ate, I wouldn't bother to do any of this. I used to be like that. I just ate until I was done. I don't know whether I was a *big* eater or not.. I just ate until I was done. And I don't know what I weighed during all those years of my life, other than about 112 when I was a freshman in high school. I didn't even think of weight. I was just slim and trim, and my clothing always fit. Never got too loose or too tight. It was just my clothing.

Until it all changed.

These days (most of the days) I measure/weigh my food portions (for the most part) and enter stuff into ******. That's how I know what percentages of the macronutrients I eat. How many carbs. How many calories. It keeps me honest, takes only a very, very few minutes these days, as I'm pretty *into* it by now... And as you say, IT WORKS.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
I count myself. I use an app on my phone. For some reason it can't be mentioned on this site, I don't' really understand why but you can do a Google search for free calorie counter for android and find it (the blue one)

I like to know my calorie average for a week and a month. That is one way I use to stay on track without being too strict on any given day.
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I am insulin resistant, have PCOS, and am pre-Diabetic. I was able to lose about 50 pounds (from my highest weight of 310) just cutting drastically back on carbohydrates and watching my blood glucose reaction to various foods.

Now, I have to watch calories as well as carbs, too. It's the only way I actually continue to lose. *sigh* I hate it, but I've tried so many alternatives (VLC, JUDDD, IF, etc.) that I know it's the only thing that actually works now.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I hate counting calories. I work out what is roughly an equivalent number of calories for various low carb meals and use that sort of gauge to avoid overeating.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
I count calories each day on my favorite app. It has become so second nature to me, and really helps me make smart decisions with my food. for example, "It's 10:30 pm, I'm maybe sorta kinda hungry, I have 42 calories left, maybe I'll pass on the double cream cheese muffin and just have some chai tea" Kwim? However, I have relatively little to lose and it is a slow and tedious process, so I think the calories are important.
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I need to change that JUDDD thing! I am strictly low carb..more Atkins..keeping it under 20 grams of carbs...thanks everyone for the response!! NO COUNTING CALORIES is the way I HAVE to go in order to make this work!!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jjl View Post
I need to change that JUDDD thing! I am strictly low carb..more Atkins..keeping it under 20 grams of carbs...thanks everyone for the response!! NO COUNTING CALORIES is the way I HAVE to go in order to make this work!!
Probably.. You can certainly do low carb and very low carb on JUDDD, and there are quite a few who do! But, it is a way of cycling calories between your full maintenance number on one day (so not eating at diet level at all), alternated with low calories on the next day. The foods that you choose to eat have nothing to do with the JUDDD plan, and those food choices are completely up to you. So whether you're a vegan, vegetarian, strong carnivore, ultra low carb or not, mediterranean, paleo, etc. ... you can still follow the JUDDD plan of calorie cycling. But it does call for calorie consciousness, which usually means measuring portions and tracking calorie consumption, and not everybody wants to add that effort to their lives. Most people just want to eat.

If I didn't feel I needed to track my calories in order to maintain my weight about where I like it, I wouldn't bother. But when I mostly just ate at will, even low carb, I remained fat. Not how I wanted to live my life, so I do what I need to. Works just fine for me. I can eat anything and do, and I thrive and feel amazing.

You'll find the perfect plan for yourself. Good luck.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote