Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
Anxious about abdominal issues after weight loss

For those who have lost or who have a significant amount of weight to loose; are you worried about extra skin around your middle once you have lost the weight? I know that's a way off, but in addition to being healthier, I'm looking forward to being really happy with my appearance after I lose the weight. I don't think I will quite achieve that goal if I have excess, stretched out skin around my abdomen, but given my financial limitations, I think it would be irresponsible for me to think about plastic surgery, even if I could find someone who offered a reasonable payment plan. Is there anyone here who has lost 100 pounds or more and does not have excess skin? If you do, how did/do you deal with it?

Last edited by Lucy1018; 07-22-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I've lost around 100 pounds. I have an area of loose skin that looks like a dried up prune in my ab region. Honestly though it is below my bikini line and you can't see it unless I am in my birthday suit. Sure I wish it wasn't there, but since I usually don't go out in public naked it is easy enough to cover up. When I was 100 pounds overweight, there was no hiding that.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeth
Stats: 320/185/140
WOE: Carb Cycling
Start Date: Jan. 19, 2008
Yep, I have lots of "hangy skin". But I prefer hangy skin empty to hangy skin full.
MissBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Interesting questions............

Abdominoplasty ("Tummy Tuck"), often performed with liposuction, is widely available in most metropolitan areas. The price is pretty variable and generally is between $7K and $10K. I'd urge folks to defer on the surgery for at least a year AFTER they are able to sustain maintenance. We had a Congressman in our area who enthusiastically pursued the surgery after a successful weight loss but gained most of his weight back over the next 3 years. .
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's genetic and age related. nothing to worry about.

actually losing to goal and maintaining that loss is so rare and precious that it's probably wise not to worry about the hanging tissue issue until the time comes. the issues involved in actually succeeding are so much more important! good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
I've lost 200 lbs and I look like a sharpei from my neck to my knees; I also have about 3" on hanging skin on my upper arms. It's gross, and I hate that I can't wear shorts or short sleeves in the hot Houston summer, but it's much healthier than carrying around an extra 200+ lbs. I have about 25 lbs to go and will look into plastic surgery once I am at goal. My arms for sure need to be done. I'm hoping insurance will cover at least some of it, but they tend to only cover skin repair p.s. for those who had WLS

Good luck getting to, and maintaining, your goal. Like ravenrose said, that's the important part.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Congrats, Jennifer, on an outstanding accomplishment! Wouldn't as much excess skin as you describe weigh at least 20 pounds, if not 25? It seems like you could be losing muscle if you pushed past your ideal body weight IF a significant amount of your remaining excess is that loose skin you worked so hard to empty out.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've lost close to 200 lbs, and although I have loose skin, it doesn't really bother me to keep 'covered' --no very short sleeves or shorts. But I am 70 years old, and despite exercising regularly, I don't expect my skin to adjust any better than it has (which is better than I would have expected).

I'd estimate my 'loose skin' to be at least 10-15 lbs, which is why my current weight is my goal weight. With substantial weight loss, the number on the scale is often deceiving.

For the OP, you are a young woman, and your skin my adjust perfectly. There's no way to know in advance, but you should do toning exercises regularly while you're losing. In addition, reputable plastic surgeons advise waiting at least a year after you get to goal before considering surgery because it takes a while for your skin to completely adjust.

Finally, stop worrying about what might happen after you lose. I can assure you from personal experience that the benefits far outweigh any issues you may have to deal with!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
I've lost 85 ish pounds and have loose skin on my belly (I carried a LOT of my weight in my stomach). Thankfully I am young, so I'm hoping to start lifting weights and try and get rid of the excess skin within the next year. I just started maintaining 2 months ago, and it seems to have reduced the tiniest bit. I'm still sort of experimenting. I wish my skin adjusted perfectly, but my belly was just disproportionately fatty. I also had insulin resistance at my highest weight, and I read that those with insulin resistance often have large bellies due to accumulated visceral fat, so it all makes sense...unfortunately. :|

I deal with it for now. With clothing on, it's no big deal. It's sad though, because even at 132 lbs I can't wear a bikini!

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
Weight lifting should solve most of this problem, but it's best to start during the weight loss process. Start building muscle now. It will show on the scale as heavier, but in the end, you will look better. Have you ever seen pictures of people who did the Body for Life Challenge? Weights make a difference in how you look once you lose.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I've lost 28 lbs and inches in my stomach so yep I have the "hang" of skin already. But I never wear bikinis or anything that shows my stomach so i'm not to worried. I don't like how it looks but really only me or my hubby are going to see it
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
I deal with it for now. With clothing on, it's no big deal. It's sad though, because even at 132 lbs I can't wear a bikini!
Have you looked at high-waisted bikinis? I think they are adorable .
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 289/257/150
WOE: Very low carb and low calorie
Start Date: 18 June 2012
I have a lot of weight to lose, but I'm hoping that all of the weight training and cardio I'm doing will help, and the fact that I'm only 32 so I'm still young. Though, I've had a baby and nothing is ever the same after that. Its like your body holds a grudge against you for the rest of your life.
LumpySpacePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
To answer your question, Lucy, I expect I'll have some loose skin when I reach goal. I got down to 145 about ten years ago, and I had loose skin at the tops of my thighs and lower belly. I'd lost about 70 pounds at that point, and was goal-ish. I didn't keep the weight off for a year, though, so I'm not sure if it would have gotten any better.

I think as weight loss progresses, we have to make adjustments to our expectations of how our bodies will look. I think we all dream that having a perfectly toned body will be our reward for so much hard work, but that's not the case for most of us. If someone is young and genetics is on their side, maybe their skin will be smooth and their belly flat. Maybe not.

One thing I do know is that I was MUCH happier with my body at 145 than I am at 225, jiggly skin or no jiggly skin. So try not to stress out about it. Cross the loose-skin road when you get there; I guarantee whatever your feelings are now, they're going to change as you progress in your weight loss journey.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
It is a problem for many, my best friend being one of them. Short story- She ened up with plastic surgery. They removed a modest amount (not all of it) after losing 70 lbs.

They then did a skin tightening laser (she gets it every few months), and she looks great. Little bit of skin- but a huge improvement. With proper scar treatment, it is barely noticeable unless she is wearing a skimpy bikini, even then it looks like an old c-section scar.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I lost about 70 pounds, getting down to my goal weight, almost 15 years ago, and didn't have issues with baggy skin even though I had carried a lot of weight in my stomach. I did lose the weight very slowly, though, and I was in my early 40s then, and exercised a lot.

I don't know what the outcome will be for me now, though I'm definitely losing weight slowly--I have no choice about that, since that's all my body will do. I'm trying to incorporate toning and resistence exercise now, along with cardio, to increase the likelihood that I'll look okay when/if I near my goal weight. I'm also about to start a skin brushing routine (before I shower), which is healthy in itself and might help.

The good thing about doing exercise (especially toning and resistence type) WHILE you are losing weight is that it's good for your health and will make you look and feel better no matter what you weigh, as well as probably helping at least some in terms of how one looks at goal weight.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I have an apron of fat that already hangs on my belly that DRIVES ME NUTS!! It just keeps getting more and more icky to look at. BUT, I feel so much better and am hoping that one day I can get plastic surgery but I have a long way to go. My husband has promised me a new belly and some new "girls" if I lose the weight I have a wonderful man!! He loves me no matter what and supports me through it all.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I have an apron of fat that already hangs on my belly that DRIVES ME NUTS!! It just keeps getting more and more icky to look at. BUT, I feel so much better and am hoping that one day I can get plastic surgery but I have a long way to go. My husband has promised me a new belly and some new "girls" if I lose the weight I have a wonderful man!! He loves me no matter what and supports me through it all.
Right there with you on all these points. We need to forgive ourselves for abusing our bodies and accentuate the positives we do have.

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
When I was in my 30's and 1 yr after my son was born I had lost 80 lbs. I did not had a tummy-nor an apron. But now in my 60's and planning on losing 111 lbs total-yes I will probably have an apron and lots of loose skin. Well that is the badge that I must bear for having been fat most of my life. Will I spend the $$$ to get it removed-no, I'll just buy a body slimmer to shove it all tighter. I used to wear a girdle with super strength elastic to flatten my stomach in high school. My girls are hanging low, but I'm just going to get new bras. life is full of change, and age does not make it better. if you can just accept your body for what it is when you get to goal.
Has anyone seen the old Holocaust pictures-no one had flabby skin-those people near death look like mummies.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 232 View Post
When I was in my 30's and 1 yr after my son was born I had lost 80 lbs. I did not had a tummy-nor an apron. But now in my 60's and planning on losing 111 lbs total-yes I will probably have an apron and lots of loose skin. Well that is the badge that I must bear for having been fat most of my life. Will I spend the $$$ to get it removed-no, I'll just buy a body slimmer to shove it all tighter. I used to wear a girdle with super strength elastic to flatten my stomach in high school. My girls are hanging low, but I'm just going to get new bras. life is full of change, and age does not make it better. if you can just accept your body for what it is when you get to goal.
Has anyone seen the old Holocaust pictures-no one had flabby skin-those people near death look like mummies.
I think you have a good, realistic attitude about your body and aging, Chris.

As for the old Holocaust pictures ... if people are actually starving to death, as the people in the death camps were, their bodies will be cannibalizing any tissue they can for some nourishment when fat stores are exhausted. So it's not surprising that the corpses and survivors from the camps literally look like skeletons with skin.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I lost over 100 lbs in about 14 months and have some puckers on my lower belly and upper arms and thighs. But over time everything is looking better and a little tighter. I don't think I'll ever be a "hard body" but as others here have said, I don't generally run around naked and I look pretty good in shorts that hit just above the knees and sleeves that fall between my shoulder and elbow. I'm pushing 50 and my skin looks much better than I thought it might at this weight.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I've lost just over 60 lbs. I've got hangy belly and arms. I have noticed that it hangs less this month than it did last. I'm still losing, but hopefully I will lose the hangys after a year or two. Tummy tuck isn't in the budget so I will be happy with I get.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I have lost 90 lbs. so far and have loose skin on my arms, inner legs, right under my butt, and stomach. But the worst to me is my hanging turkey wattle. That's coming off as soon as I can save up enough. I can cover everything else up, but that chin wattle just ticks me off every time I look at it.

Luckily, I live in plastic surgery land, so there's no shortage of competition for your business. I would love to get my arms and stomach done, too, but that's too expensive. I figure I can spring for the wattle removal eventually.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote