Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: noresults
cant get into ketosis!

I have low carb dieted many times! I have recently started two weeks ago and have lost nothing! I cant even get into ketosis! I use to lose alot of weight! Im really starting to get discouraged! Any ideas or problems you guys think i might be having? Please help!
noresults is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
Hi! Sorry you are having such a frustrating time. If you post what you are eating and drinking each day, it will help folks here give you some advice. I've found this to be a helpful, supportive community.
Alessandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

daily food

My diet is usually a atkins shake and hard boiled egg for breakfast then i eat a salad with grilled chicken and cheese for lunch maybe a couple string cheese sticks as snacks occasional atkins bar! Dinner is usually achicken or steak quesadilla on a low carb tortila or another salad! Small amount of dressing but not much!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Take out the shakes and bars. Only do about 4oz. of cheese per day. Skip the LC tortilla. Add in some more fat, like coconut oil.

Use a tracker. If you can get your percentages at around 70%fat, 30%protein, and 10%carbs you should see a loss. Don't forget that things like, heavy whipping cream, cheese, granulated artificial sweetener, eggs, all have about 1/2carb per serving so count them.

Last edited by cfine; 07-17-2012 at 09:16 AM..
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I will give it a try! I dont seem to go over 20 net carbs a day! At most i have hit 25! Just about to give up! I will try this and keep you posted! I used to practically watch my weight fall off! And now it wont even budge! Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Remove the franken foods- No shakes, no bars. That stuff stalls me in my tracks now (didnt used too).
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noresults View Post
My diet is usually a atkins shake and hard boiled egg for breakfast then i eat a salad with grilled chicken and cheese for lunch maybe a couple string cheese sticks as snacks occasional atkins bar! Dinner is usually achicken or steak quesadilla on a low carb tortila or another salad! Small amount of dressing but not much!
Also, you said small amount of dressing. What kind of dressing?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geobuilder
Stats: 05-31-07 234/200/185
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 05/31/07
Meat, eggs, broccoli, lettuce and water. No bars or shakes.
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 289/257/150
WOE: Very low carb and low calorie
Start Date: 18 June 2012
Sometimes its not the amount of carbs that gets us, its the type. I know for me, if I test with a ketone strip and it shows positive for ketones, then eat something with sugar alcohols (specifically maltitol), then test 20 minutes later, the strip will register negative.

Protein and fat should be the mainstays of your diet for the first two weeks with the occasional veggie, then work your way up. Not as fun as having shakes and bars, but you'll save money and get your metabolism going!
LumpySpacePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I see that you are new to LCF and would like to welcome you!!

I would suggest that you reread your plan as we all tend to forget the specifics over time. Atkins induction does not include bars, shakes or most importantly grains (i.e tortilla). These are things best left out during weight loss and most especially during induction.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randi
Stats: hhcg:211.5/166.5/145 Atkins: 173/168.5/145
Start Date: hhcg 10/27/12 - Atkins: 6/10/13
I agree ditch the bars, shakes, and tortillas for two weeks and see if that does not help you with your loss!
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randi
Stats: hhcg:211.5/166.5/145 Atkins: 173/168.5/145
Start Date: hhcg 10/27/12 - Atkins: 6/10/13
Also try staying under 20 total carbs for a few weeks and forget about NETTING your carbs.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.6/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean flair
Start Date: NOW!!! Restart date: 1/12/2014
I agree with Randi - Count your total carbs. In an interview that I saw on Dr. Volek (one of the authors to NANY), he stated that in his clinic when a patient had trouble in the beginning, he would have them count their total carbs (ie. more protein and fats).

Cathy

75% fat = 100- 125 total grams ; 20% protein = 60-75 total grams; 5% carbohydrates = 15- 19 TOTAL grams (average: 1200 - 1500 calories)

Following DANDR – I have always been successful with this form of the plan.
Week 1/2: no more than 100 g. of salad lettuce and 50 g. of vegetable
Week 3: no more than 100 g. of salad lettuce and 100 g. of vegetable
Week 4: no more than 150 g. of salad lettuce and 100 g. of vegetable

July 1: 233.4 lbs. (-8.4) July 8: 230.8 lbs. (-11.0) July 15: 228.0 lbs. (- 13.8)

http://lowcarbmediterraneanjourney.blogspot.com/

Start weight: 261.8
Goal #1: 251.8 (-10 lbs.) met 1/21/2014
Goal #2: 241.8 (-10 lbs.) met 2/19/2014
Goal #3: 231.8 (-10 lbs.)
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

thank you all!

Thank you all for the help! Im ditching the bars and shakes and gonna be very strict on it! Im gonna miss them! Lol. I am looking forward to my future success! I will keep you all informed!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Go with < 10 grams of carbohydrates and only 1000 calories.......

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Go with < 10 grams of carbohydrates and only 1000 calories.......

Good Luck,
I normally don't comment on these types of posts, but this really bothers me. In almost every post you write, you preach about calories below 1,000...I think 700 or 800 you have mentioned many times.

Why do you believe this is healthy to be telling people to do? I won't get into my whole story, but calories are not the only answer to the problems people are having. I did less than 1,100 calories a day for almost 3 months, low fat as well, and guess what? No weight loss. I eat LC/higher fat because it's what I need to do for high insulin. The weight loss has been disappointing for me low calorie and higher calorie, but it's about the health benefits. My cholesterol has improved despite lots of fat in my diet.

I fully believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and not everything works the same for every body. But I think it's irresponsible to spout this advice without any real proof/evidence. Just my two cents after reading the above quote 20+ times a day.

Success is my only option
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVIV View Post

I fully believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and not everything works the same for every body.
Thank you. I concur.

Good Luck,
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVIV View Post
I normally don't comment on these types of posts, but this really bothers me. In almost every post you write, you preach about calories below 1,000...I think 700 or 800 you have mentioned many times.

Why do you believe this is healthy to be telling people to do? I won't get into my whole story, but calories are not the only answer to the problems people are having. I did less than 1,100 calories a day for almost 3 months, low fat as well, and guess what? No weight loss. I eat LC/higher fat because it's what I need to do for high insulin. The weight loss has been disappointing for me low calorie and higher calorie, but it's about the health benefits. My cholesterol has improved despite lots of fat in my diet.

I fully believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and not everything works the same for every body. But I think it's irresponsible to spout this advice without any real proof/evidence. Just my two cents after reading the above quote 20+ times a day.

zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
Chatty Cathy

It seems clear that if one is only interested in weight loss and nothing else (i.e. maintaining any losses) that low cal/low fat may be a method that would work for some. But if one is interested in losing weight, maintaining that weight loss and improving health, this kind of 'dieting' is perhaps that worst method.

It is important to remember that what takes the weight off will likely be pretty close to what is needed to maintain.

The other issue is that yo-yo dieting is very counter to good health and as a former yo-yo dieter, I can attest to the damage that mentality has done to my metabolism and had I known better, I would not have chosen the extreme and unstainable methods such as suggested above.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
In my experience, weight loss and weight management has to involve people learning about themselves, how their body works, and what plan/foods/nutrients provide the best support for weight management for each individual.

I know what works for me and keeps me healthy, but I also know that probably is not the answer for most other people.

When posters ask for advice, we all need to understand that all we can share is what's been effective for us, and it's best to share in that context--i.e., not create 'rules' or 'answers' that we think apply to everyone.

In addition, there's a vast difference between an individual who has been morbidly obese most of his/her life and needs to lost 150-200 lbs, and someone who has recently put on 10-20 extra pounds but has been normal weight for most of his/her life.

The former most often have metabolic dysfunctions that require extreme calorie/carb restriction. That's been true of me, and I have thrived on a WOE that would be disastrous for most people but has been applauded by my endo who understands the metabolic issues involved.

My point is that of course everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but anyone who wants to be successful at weight management really needs to find his/her own 'truth.' The experiences of others may be helpful in this process, but beware of thinking of anyone else's experience as your own 'solution.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
Great post, Leo. Thank you.
Alessandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It seems clear that if one is only interested in weight loss and nothing else (i.e. maintaining any losses) that low cal/low fat may be a method that would work for some. But if one is interested in losing weight, maintaining that weight loss and improving health, this kind of 'dieting' is perhaps that worst method.
Good post!!!!!!! You raise a VERY critical point. There is a GREAT difference between aggressive dieting and maintenance. The program which helps one lose weight may certainly not resemble the longer term WOE which we all have to adopt to MAINTAIN our weight loss.

The recidivism numbers are................staggering. They vary, but it appears that 90% regain some or all of their lost weight.

Stillman, and to a lesser degree Atkins, recognized that many folks get too discouraged too early when they don't see marked weight loss during the dieting phase. They both endorsed plans to facilitate rapid loss to help the psychology of many dieters. In the same manner, the contemporary HCG regimens (which I do NOT recommend), use meds and 500 calories/day to achieve rapid results as well.

Once people get to their target weight with ANY plan, they then have to think through how they'll proceed with maintenance; in that regard, there are MANY ways to skin a cat, including such entities as the Mediterranean diet which embraces lots of carbs.

Good Luck,
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Quote:
They vary, but it appears that 90% regain some or all of their lost weight.
90% eh? Where'd you get that statistic?

You know, for someone that works in the health field (guessing by your profile, it says you work in pediatric oncology (!!)), I'm appalled by some of the advice you give. It's terribly dangerous and unhealthy. It's fine if what works for you works, but "90%" of us, it does not. Please respect that and keep an open mind when giving advice.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
I do a lot of medical reporting, and i cover most of the fda meetings on obesity drugs, and i'd say that 90% is not that far from the truth. Losing weight is difficult; keeping it off is even more difficult. Bravo to all of us here who lose weight-- i tell people that it's one of the most difficult things to do. Keeping it off??? Those who can do that for 5 or 10 years or more are superhuman. They are ..seriously...beating the odds.

I am one of those who believe that the key to weightloss is -- calories in/calories out, and that many people just don't realize exactly how many calories that they are ingesting. Yes, everyone is different, but the science says that if you ingest fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight, and vice versa. I personally don't care about what % fat, carb, etc. calories I ingest. if I weigh 160 pounds and i'm a certain height and age, I maintain that weight at so many calories a day and lose weight at (fill in the blank) calories a day. Those calories can be vegetables and rice, or ice cream, or alcohol, or protein, or any combination. You choose which combo works for you. If i am obese and need to lose 100 pounds, i see nothing wrong with a 800 calorie a day diet (even 500). Do what it takes. Eat vitamins. Don't hurt yourself. Exercise, if you can. It's healthier to be thin than to be obese. I read a lot of posts on this board and i often think-- hmmm. I bet that person is eating way more calories than he/she thinks she is. Just saying. People post what they are eating and it's vague..nuts and cheese. Well, how many what kind of nuts? How much cheese? Do you weigh it??Do you realize just how little one ounce of cheese is? Just saying....just saying...that reality is sometimes evasive, and if you really truly want to lose weight, you have to come to terms with what you actually are eating.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!

Last edited by DairyQueen; 07-18-2012 at 09:17 PM..
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tiggy_oz
Stats: 330/249/190 5'10"
WOE: LCHF + IF
Start Date: 1 Nov 2010 (+4 months off & 20lb regain)
To the OP - I hope you see some great results after cutting out the products. Those things also stall me.

LadyKT - The 90% was from a recent study - sorry I cant remember by who (Duke comes to mind) but it has been linked on this board before. Older studies also support this finding (so its about 90-95% regain the weight).

In my opinion and experience, the problem with aggressive dieting is the dieter is set up to fail in the long run. There are no or few tools, and little to no experience to fall back on in maintaining the weight. Sure ok, I can do optifast or some other 800 cal diet, feel like eating my arm off and achieve my goal weight. But THEN what. After being on such strong restrictions for so long it is likely I will (and I have haha) returned to my old ways of enjoying eating again - and as a result end up right back where I started, or worse, with a more broken metabolism than before. GREAT!!

I think most people have the strength to white knuckle anything for a while, but without a solid plan long term plan you are just begging to fail. Sure the dieter can THEN go and learn about and try to implement a whole different way of eating, but most people just don't do that. They go phew, I made it and its back to your regularly scheduled programming. All or nothing mentalities are the short term blessing, and long term bane of dieting.

Part of it probably relates to our society. We all want what we want NOW! Patience? Whats that?

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." -Buddha

Tiggy Jones Diary
tiggy_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
I do a lot of medical reporting, and i cover most of the fda meetings on obesity drugs, and i'd say that 90% is not that far from the truth. Losing weight is difficult; keeping it off is even more difficult. Bravo to all of us here who lose weight-- i tell people that it's one of the most difficult things to do. Keeping it off??? Those who can do that for 5 or 10 years or more are superhuman. They are ..seriously...beating the odds.

I am one of those who believe that the key to weightloss is -- calories in/calories out, and that many people just don't realize exactly how many calories that they are ingesting. Yes, everyone is different, but the science says that if you ingest fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight, and vice versa. I personally don't care about what % fat, carb, etc. calories I ingest. if I weigh 160 pounds and i'm a certain height and age, I maintain that weight at so many calories a day and lose weight at (fill in the blank) calories a day. Those calories can be vegetables and rice, or ice cream, or alcohol, or protein, or any combination. You choose which combo works for you. If i am obese and need to lose 100 pounds, i see nothing wrong with a 800 calorie a day diet (even 500). Do what it takes. Eat vitamins. Don't hurt yourself. Exercise, if you can. It's healthier to be thin than to be obese. I read a lot of posts on this board and i often think-- hmmm. I bet that person is eating way more calories than he/she thinks she is. Just saying. People post what they are eating and it's vague..nuts and cheese. Well, how many what kind of nuts? How much cheese? Do you weigh it??Do you realize just how little one ounce of cheese is? Just saying....just saying...that reality is sometimes evasive, and if you really truly want to lose weight, you have to come to terms with what you actually are eating.
My personal understanding is that calories do count but the type of food counts more. Most of us who have stalled out for long periods of time, are `experienced dieters` and have obviously tried calories restriction and continue to calorie restrict - it is a given. It is obvious. I am aware that people who don`t run into this will think it is a case of gluttony and sloth but it is not - I assure you.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

OP didnt say her stats.

I do believe calories count, especially if you are close to your goal weight- or trying to push your body for the last few vanity lbs (like me). If we are honest, most people DO NOT often keep the weight off long term- no matter which diet they choose, whether it be a cabbage soup diet, atkins, low fat, southbeach, jenny Craig, low calorie, Vlc, JUDD, etc.

Its because those are ways of eating that are outside the norm of what the person desires to do- hence why they gained the weight in the first place.

Will an 800 calories, vlc diet be a suitable eating plan for the rest of the OP's life?
Chances are probably not.

However, I do think that doing that for a few days can really be an interesting experience. It can honestly retrain your brain as you add in new healthy foods- creating a larger sense of consciousnesses for what you consume. (oh, and there is the weight loss). Furthermore, it gets you reading- reading this forum, getting you reading blogs, articles etc and becoming more informed.

Obviously, the OP said they had done low carb before- But then they went on a diet filled with nasty commercial crap. Too me, that means more research should be done.

Lastly, it causes you to bond with an online profile- get support, which can teach you to find a way of eating which will not result in shortcuts to weight loss, but discover a new way of sustainable eating.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
My personal understanding is that calories do count but the type of food counts more. Most of us who have stalled out for long periods of time, are `experienced dieters` and have obviously tried calories restriction and continue to calorie restrict - it is a given. It is obvious. I am aware that people who don`t run into this will think it is a case of gluttony and sloth but it is not - I assure you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
DITTO!
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Good post!!!!!!! You raise a VERY critical point. There is a GREAT difference between aggressive dieting and maintenance. The program which helps one lose weight may certainly not resemble the longer term WOE which we all have to adopt to MAINTAIN our weight loss.

The recidivism numbers are................staggering. They vary, but it appears that 90% regain some or all of their lost weight.

Stillman, and to a lesser degree Atkins, recognized that many folks get too discouraged too early when they don't see marked weight loss during the dieting phase. They both endorsed plans to facilitate rapid loss to help the psychology of many dieters. In the same manner, the contemporary HCG regimens (which I do NOT recommend), use meds and 500 calories/day to achieve rapid results as well.

Once people get to their target weight with ANY plan, they then have to think through how they'll proceed with maintenance; in that regard, there are MANY ways to skin a cat, including such entities as the Mediterranean diet which embraces lots of carbs.

Good Luck,

And I agree with Leo41, also lots of good points here:

In my experience, weight loss and weight management has to involve people learning about themselves, how their body works, and what plan/foods/nutrients provide the best support for weight management for each individual.

I know what works for me and keeps me healthy, but I also know that probably is not the answer for most other people.

When posters ask for advice, we all need to understand that all we can share is what's been effective for us, and it's best to share in that context--i.e., not create 'rules' or 'answers' that we think apply to everyone.

In addition, there's a vast difference between an individual who has been morbidly obese most of his/her life and needs to lost 150-200 lbs, and someone who has recently put on 10-20 extra pounds but has been normal weight for most of his/her life.

The former most often have metabolic dysfunctions that require extreme calorie/carb restriction. That's been true of me, and I have thrived on a WOE that would be disastrous for most people but has been applauded by my endo who understands the metabolic issues involved.

My point is that of course everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but anyone who wants to be successful at weight management really needs to find his/her own 'truth.' The experiences of others may be helpful in this process, but beware of thinking of anyone else's experience as your own 'solution.'

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote