Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CeeGee
Low carb breakfast....

I need some help with some breakfast ideas that are low carb.....I am a type 2 diabetic and to be honest have not been taking good care of myself.

I have no idea what I can have for breakfast (besides eggs) that wont send my sugars through the roof. Eggs are good, no carb, lots of protein but its not exactly healthy to eat them everyday and I cant do egg whites, they disgust me if not scrambled in with yolk.

Thanks in advance for your help
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I am also diabetic - actually eggs aren't that bad for you. I don't like most breakfast foods so what I do is have leftovers from the night before.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Eggs are possibly the #1 best food for you. Leaving out the yolks is leaving off the most nutritious part.

Why not check out Dr. Richard Bernstein's web site. He is a diabetic who has a ton of information.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

thanks I will check out that site
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I hate eating breakfast but I need to start....thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Eggs are great for you! Don't be afraid of eggs.

I am also diabetic, and my go-to breakfast is eggs and bacon. I also like to make One Minute Muffins, or almond-milk smoothies.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
Eggs are really good for you and definitely eat the yolks! I eat eggs and either bacon or sausage most mornings. Sometimes, I eat dinner leftovers instead like a couple of the other people who posted.
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Taking care of yourself is so important as a diabetic. I can tell you all sorts of horror stories about my mom, who was diagnosed when she was 27, and died early at 54, with all sorts of terrible things by that time. I know it's hard, and it's great you're here!!

The Muffin in a Minute is a filling breakfast, that feels like cheating. There is an egg in it, but, sure doesn't take like egg! This is the recipe I use 3 or so times a week.

1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pkg splenda (or any sweetener)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or any flavoring)
1 egg
1 teaspoon oil (or butter, or coconut oil)

Directions:

1 Mix all ingredients in a coffee mug.
2 Micorowave for one minute on high.
3 If using frozen berries, microwave for 1:30 on high.
4 Smooth on some butter and enjoy!
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I do a lot of variations on eggs in the morning. I make egg muffins which are basically eggs, your choice of meats, cheeses and veggies, cooked in muffin tins for grab and go meals. But you can eat anything you want for breakfast! Last night's leftovers, salad, anything you can think of that's low carb.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
eggs are not the enemy Breakfast is not big in my house so I usually have a unsweetened almond milk/protein shake and make breakfast foods for lunch on weekends... havent tried using muffin tins ... mini quiche yum!
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I have eggs every morning for breakfast. If I don't eat eggs...than I've skipped breakfast - and that's something that I normally don't do. I tired of bacon and sausage after a bit, so now I mix it up with smoked sausage or kielbasa, Italian meatballs, gyro meat. (I love the Italian meatballs in the morning...just nuke 'em for 1 minute for a quick breakfast!)
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
My favorite these days are eggs fried in butter with lots of salt and pepper, and bacon to dip in the yolk.
Carli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Eggs are perfectly healthy every day...the notion that eggs are not healthy or should be very limited is outdated. Add bacon or sausage and you have a yummy breakfast. If you'd rather have a breakfast shake, there are many very low carb protein powders in many flavors...a lot of people "drink" their breakfast.

You might want to pick up a copy of Atkins book and learn a bit more about low carb ways of eating...you can get other ideas of low carb foods by checking out the recipe section on this forum, too.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyMS
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/23/2012
CeeGee, I am diabetic too, and I've gotten into the habit of eating 2 boiled eggs just about every morning for breakfast since I started low carbing. I have mobility problems so I can't stand in the kitchen to cook anymore, so it's just easier for me to have some boiled eggs ready to go for me in the morning. Until I had to start taking medication for my diabetes, I didn't eat breakfast at all. I had to force myself to eat something in the morning for a long time, but it's become habit now, just as taking my medication has become habit too. I was diagnosed with diabetes in Nov. 2009 when I was sick and in the hospital, and while I did pretty good with medicine at first, I did get lazy and tapered off from eating breakfast and taking my medicine like I should for a good portion of 2010. All of 2011 was kind of sporadic too, until the fall when I had my thyroid problem finally diagnosed. That's when I made up my mind to get serious about taking care of myself. Now it's become habit to get up, take my thyroid medicine, wait an hour (or more...sometimes I wake up too early and will take my Synthroid then go back to sleep for a little longer), get up, turn on my computer while heading to the bathroom, then I grab a couple of eggs, eat and then take my medicine. After that the rest of the day is mine and I don't have to feel guilty for not doing what I should! LOL

I know you're looking for variety too...eggs CAN get boring if eating them every day. Even I switch up sometimes. Whenever we grill steaks I like to throw on an extra one so I can have steak for breakfast (what a treat!) For a while there I made mock egg mcmuffins (microwave an egg in a buttered glass cereal bowl, then top with some ham, sausage or bacon and a slice of cheese). If I have an early doctor's appointment or something, I have been known to grab a can of vienna sausages too, but I try not to do that too often. I've also been known to eat chicken salad for breakfast too (usually made from leftover lemon-pepper chicken breast, celery, chopped egg and mayo).

There are a lot of great recipes for different things on this site and on the internet too. Check them out...sometimes looking at recipes gives me new ideas and I find that it also helps encourage me to keep at it and not give up. Good luck and keep up the good work!
JudyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ryiena
Stats: 315/270/135
WOE: 30 Carbs a day =)
Start Date: February 2012
I am a type 2 diabetic as well and I can relate about hating breakfast! Unless I have an idea of what I'm going to make the night before, waking up and making breakfast sometimes feels like a chore. I love eggs, but I also love variety too. You can cook up eggs many different ways so you don't feel like you're always eating the same thing. I eat them boiled too and sometimes even make some egg salad to go with lettuce.

Some things you could look at is Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt (it has a very small effect on my blood sugar but it may not be the same for everyone. Make sure it's the carb and sugar control!), greek yogurt flavored with your favorite fruit (depending on carbs use in moderation) or SF syrup (watch the sugars on the yogurt), smoothies, shakes, bacon, sausage, LC pancakes and waffles, protein bars (there are recipes around for homemade and you have to watch the store bought for funky ingredients), crackers and dip (cheese crisps, flax crackers, almond crackers, etc), and as other mentioned the one minute muffin. Breakfast isn't limited to just breakfast foods. Sometimes I eat something lunchy for breakfast if I'm in the mood.

Courtney

Amused Elf- My Blog

--------------------

Last edited by Ryiena; 07-08-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Ryiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
I don't like eggs that taste like eggs (boiled, fried, scrambled), but I love Linda Sue's quiches. I just put a crustless spinach quiche in the oven and I have breakfast solved for all next week.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
My most common breakfast is eggs with 3-4 slices of liverwurst in the same skillet with about 1/4 oz. butter (since it's precooked this takes 3 minutes tops). Then I top each slice with a dab of mustard or horseradish and a pickle slice.

When it's too hot to cook, I'll make a cold plate with strawberries, fancy cheese, and 1 oz. coconut bark.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeGee View Post
I need some help with some breakfast ideas that are low carb.....I am a type 2 diabetic and to be honest have not been taking good care of myself.

I have no idea what I can have for breakfast (besides eggs) that wont send my sugars through the roof. Eggs are good, no carb, lots of protein but its not exactly healthy to eat them everyday and I cant do egg whites, they disgust me if not scrambled in with yolk.

Thanks in advance for your help

I don't know where you got your information, but my endocrinologist says that the best breakfast for diabetics is eggs. My DD is type 1 diabetic and we have been through all the nutritional training for more than a year. She is only 11 and we have been dealing with this through school. She has to eat something before heading off to school. Being that she was never into breakfast, we have had to come up with some very creative solutions. I have been a low carber now for 12 years so I know how to low carb and I can eat eggs every day, all day long. That is how much I love eggs. My DD OTOH, can tolerate them only once or twice a week. I have found things she loves that are low carb and she eats those. You don't have to have breakfast foods at breakfast only

She loves hot dogs, chicken noodle soup, chicken salad, tunafish salad, peanut butter on crackers, protein shakes, crustless quiches, and leftover casseroles are her favorite. She loves my ham and cauliflower casserole and my chicken cheese bacon cabbage casserole. She can have whatever she wants to have in the morning. Heck my sons (who don't low carb or have diabetes) eat egg rolls in the morning My eldest son loves to eat chicken sandwiches at breakfast. No cereal here.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
there is a trick to this, though.

eggs and other fats are perfectly healthy as long as you eat less than about 150 grams of net carbs a day. over that, you need to go low fat.

it can be dangerous for people who have gotten used to eating fat to go off the wagon with carbs.

but the real answer to your question is, be innovative. you can eat anything for breakfast that appeals to you. no need for special breakfast foods.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3kidsandasheltie
Stats: 230(highest)/110/110
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Taking care of yourself is so important as a diabetic. I can tell you all sorts of horror stories about my mom, who was diagnosed when she was 27, and died early at 54, with all sorts of terrible things by that time. I know it's hard, and it's great you're here!!

The Muffin in a Minute is a filling breakfast, that feels like cheating. There is an egg in it, but, sure doesn't take like egg! This is the recipe I use 3 or so times a week.

1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pkg splenda (or any sweetener)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or any flavoring)
1 egg
1 teaspoon oil (or butter, or coconut oil)

Directions:

1 Mix all ingredients in a coffee mug.
2 Micorowave for one minute on high.
3 If using frozen berries, microwave for 1:30 on high.
4 Smooth on some butter and enjoy!
can I substitute cocoa powder for cinnamon? I dont really care for cinnamon, but I might make one for my daughter who has been wanting a cinnamon muffin but it also eating low carb
3kidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Sure... I've been thinking about doing that as well, but I just never got around to it. Probably needs more than a teaspoon though.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3kidsandasheltie
Stats: 230(highest)/110/110
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Sure... I've been thinking about doing that as well, but I just never got around to it. Probably needs more than a teaspoon though.
think I am going to try this tomorrow
3kidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Avy
Senior LCF Member

I have one on my counter i used banana extract in, as well as the cinnamon... I haven't tried it yet, will be a snack later or breakfast tomorrow, but it smells good.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
I've been eating custard for breakfast lately, especially chocolate custard. I mix in blender 3 jumbo eggs, half cup cream, half cup water, 3 TB melted butter, 3 TB cocoa, sweetener, vanilla, pinch of salt and pour in 3 custard cups. I only make 3 at a time so I can put them in the toaster oven, in a water bath, about half hour at 325. Chocolately goodness to start the day at 3 net carbs, 340 carbs, 10 grams of protein (not counting sweetener). You can make it without the butter but then it's not as filling. I'm going to try it with chocolate almond milk one of these days.

I just bought some Ghiradelli cocoa at Netrition and love it in this custard.
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
CeeGee, it looks like maybe you are new to low carbing. Since you are not sure what to eat, I wonder if you have read any of the books on a low carb lifestyle? Reading a book will help tremendously because every doctor who has written their version of it will address the benefits of LC for people with type 2 diabetes.

A big part of doing LC is doing some research with a book that you can keep referring to. Sharing ideas here is a 'plus', but you should still read a book.

And 'yes please' to EGGS! Eggs are a perfect food, and I don't know what I would do without them! Even on a day that I have failed to plan my meals....I know I can whip up even a dinner omelette with some gouda or goat cheese and 'wrap' it in a LC tortilla or something with some steamed vegetables on the side. Eggs have often saved me from having something I should not just because I am hungry NOW.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
I strongly dislike eggs. And that's putting it nicely. And I was never a breakfast eater because I'm not a morning person and don't really like most breakfast foods.

For breakfast, I tend to have either a hotdog or small hamburger. That way, I pretend it's not breakfast. Just a VERY early lunch
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I am also diabetic. I eat eggs every single morning (and bacon or sausage). Eggs are the perfect food. There was a time when my cholesterol was through the roof (heart attack levels). At that time I went VLC. Six months later my cholesterol was normal, and my HDL (the good cholesterol) was up. Eggs and bacon baby!
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i just had a piece of tilapia seasoned and cooked in coconut oil with a bowl of greek yogurt and fresh strawberries!
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Bacon and eggs for me and I've lowcarbed over 12 years. I've tried the quiches and like those (Linda Sue has fantastic recipes!!). I have also tried the protein shakes and they are okay - they don't hold me like eggs or bacon or sausage do. You can even run by Bojangles and get side orders of bacon and side orders of scrambled eggs - no biscuits to tempt you!
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
CeeGee, I'm so glad you're making the decision to take your diabetes seriously-it is a very serious disease! I was completely, outrageously non-compliant with my diet for 4 years. Couldn't understand why I felt SO crappy...but that's denial for you!

Got very sick and finally got serious about my health while I still HAD some health left. My encouragement for you is that by eating low carb (militantly) I was able to get my A1C down from a shocking 11.5 to a 5.2 in only THREE months. During that time, I also lost 25 pounds and decreased my high cholesterol from dangerously high to normal-eating cream cheese, and other high fat/low carb treats daily. And within days of kicking sugar to the curb I felt WONDERFUL!

As to breakfast, anything that is low carb can be eaten for breakfast! If you have a Krogers near you, they have a great low carb yogurt (4 carbs) called Carb Master. Great flavors and usually very inexpensive.

This CAN work for you! Do your own research, check out the recipe sites and listen first to your own body and also to some of the low carb veterans around here. Lots of support and wisdom here at LCF!

Blessings to you as you take this life changing and life saving step in your journey!

Last edited by Annie75; 07-09-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote